Passport???????

donald1403

if you believe you need a passport for an ordinary cruise think again

go to the Dept of State site read "Closed Loop" cruises, again the U S govt has sold out to the highest bidder or lobbyist NOTHING has changed grab your birth cert and drivers license and go cruising

or waste your money for a passport that you do not need for a cruise.

If you read the fine print on the State Dept site it also says that you NEED a passport to fly back in to the country - if something unforseen happens on the cruise and you need to FLY back your BC & DL are no good.

A passport book is $100 and is good for 10 years - that's $10 a year for peace of mind - well worth it in my book.

Does getting arrested in Antigua for biting Police Constables constitute an emergency?

If those clowns did not have passports, US Immigration would give them a (well-deserved for two reasons) hard time.

Disregard OP; bring a passport; & don't look for trouble in foreign lands.

Steve

Does getting arrested in Antigua for biting Police Constables constitute an emergency?

If those clowns did not have passports, US Immigration would give them a (well-deserved for two reasons) hard time.

Disregard OP; bring a passport; & don't look for trouble in foreign lands.

Steve

Whether it is an emergency is up to debate, but they sure got themselves into a fine mess.

What does it take to convince people that U.S. citizens are no different than the rest of the world. If you are leaving your country's borders, bring the universally accepted proof of identification.

Don't try to fly home from a foreign port without a passport. You never know when you will be the one who gets ill, has an accident or whatever event makes it necessary for you to interrupt your cruise to fly home.

It CAN happen to YOU.

Get a passport. :)

The OP does a disservice to anyone who is doing a cruise to Alaska and their cruise leaves or returns out of Canada. If you're flying to Vancouver, or if you're flying home after Alaska out of Vancouver, you need a passport. This whole closed loop business is primarily for cruises for the Caribbean or Mexico.

But for the life of me I cannot understand why Americans are so afraid to get passports? It's been a way of life for every other nation in the world for decades, but US citizens just don't want to do this.

Getting a passport is no harder than getting a new credit card- or a drivers license. It is the responsible thing to do even if you never travel. You never know when a loved one will travel - ends up in a foreign country sick and needing you- and there you are- unprepared.

Just get a passport- and you are prepared for a fun trip or one that is not so fun. rlb

Well, OP, you're right. You don't need a passport for a cruise..

so long as it's a closed-loop cruise (to and from the same port in the US). But that really limits your options. Can't easily to go Alaska, as many of them start or end in Canada. Can't go to Europe, Asia, the Arctic, the Antarctic..

and, should there be some emergency even in the Caribean and you have to get home quickly, you can't fly.

But hey...save the $100. That'll buy..what...maybe 20 drinks on a cruise...and don't get a passport. And don't travel much. Whatever floats your boat.

The OP does a disservice to anyone who is doing a cruise to Alaska and their cruise leaves or returns out of Canada. If you're flying to Vancouver, or if you're flying home after Alaska out of Vancouver, you need a passport. This whole closed loop business is primarily for cruises for the Caribbean or Mexico.

But for the life of me I cannot understand why Americans are so afraid to get passports? It's been a way of life for every other nation in the world for decades, but US citizens just don't want to do this.

There was a thread recently about a congregation bought their pastor and wife an Alaskan cruise. They were not allowed to fly into Vancouver (from the US) because they were told by the Post Office clerk that they only needed the card. Get the full passport.

I didn't have a passport for my first cruise, but then DH and I went to Italy a couple years later and I needed one. I've had one ever since. Our kids are joining us on our next cruise and while they don't need passports, I got passports for them anyway. By doing that, I've just opened up a whole bunch of options for family vacations - now I just have to find a way to open a whole new bank account to fund those vacations!:D

Well, OP, you're right. You don't need a passport for a cruise..

so long as it's a closed-loop cruise (to and from the same port in the US). But that really limits your options. Can't easily to go Alaska, as many of them start or end in Canada. Can't go to Europe, Asia, the Arctic, the Antarctic..

and, should there be some emergency even in the Caribean and you have to get home quickly, you can't fly.

But hey...save the $100. That'll buy..what...maybe 20 drinks on a cruise...and don't get a passport. And don't travel much. Whatever floats your boat.

Clear, concise, and well stated. :)

Get the passport. Regardless of whether you think it will work for your cruise or not. It's a small price and it is important to have if you need to fly home in an emergency. And don't think "it can't happen to me."

You spend all of this money for travel. A passport is a small price to pay.

Keith

if you believe you need a passport for an ordinary cruise think again

go to the Dept of State site read "Closed Loop" cruises, again the U S govt has sold out to the highest bidder or lobbyist NOTHING has changed grab your birth cert and drivers license and go cruising

or waste your money for a passport that you do not need for a cruise.

You know, if you're going to put something like this out here, at least do a favor to those who will read it and define what you mean by ordinary cruise and be more specific about which closed loop cruises are exempt from passport requirement.

Your comment implies that someone on a round-the-world cruise to/from the same U.S. port does not need a passport ... and that clearly is not correct.

Following is from getyouhome.gov regarding closed loop cruises:

"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

I understand that some folks do not want to spend the money on a Passport, but if you are going to do any international travel it is a real necessity. For the closed circle cruise exemption, that is fine as long as nothing goes wrong. But, if you need to leave the ship anywhere along the route for issues such as a medical emergency, family emergency, etc... you will have some major problems and a lot of excess expense. And the new rules will no longer let you go into Canada or Mexico without a passport or passport card. And yes, it is $100 for that first passport, but renewals are only $75 which works out to $7.50 per year.

Hank

What does it take to convince people that U.S. citizens are no different than the rest of the world. If you are leaving your country's borders, bring the universally accepted proof of identification.

Don't try to fly home from a foreign port without a passport. You never know when you will be the one who gets ill, has an accident or whatever event makes it necessary for you to interrupt your cruise to fly home.

It CAN happen to YOU.

Get a passport. :)

PERFECT reply!! Get the freakin' passports!

PERFECT reply!! Get the freakin' passports!

^^^^^^^^^^

If you can't spare the measly $100 for a Passport, then you certainly can't afford the cruise. Many people think nothing of spending many times that on drinks, but something as important as a Passport they have a problem with! :rolleyes:

16 posts and no return to the thread--seems the OP does not feel too strongly of his opinion to come back and support it more.

Has had my passport since I was a teen. Got our son's and daughter's when they were each about 3. Son's used his to/from Canada (even tho at the time it wasn't "required" we never considered leaving our country without it.) Dtr has never used her's (she's almost 7) but will be using it on our upcoming cruise.

The folks who can't seem to understand why it's important to have a passport when traveling to foreign countries (even if not "required") are the same ones who will complain when they are detained or it takes longer to get home in an emergency/stressful situation.

I suppose it'll take a change in geography. America will have to shrink to the size of a couple states, which will mean that we'll cross borders more frequently.

We can drive from state to state freely, and proving our citizenship isn't a necessity. I live in the most populous portion of the country. If I got into my car right now and started driving north, it would take me 14 hours and 37 minutes to reach Canada (I just checked it on MapQuest). If I started driving south, I would hit the Mexican border in 21 hours and 15 minutes. If I headed west, it would take me 39 hours to hit the Pacific ocean (and I couldn't reach another country). Most Americans are in a situation similar to mine: They are far from the borders of another country, and -- unlike our European friends who live in countries smaller than many of our states -- most Americans aren't able to drive over to another country for a weekend, or make a long shopping trip to another country. Since our borders are far and wide, our mentality is different. EVERYWHERE we can go on a quick-and-easy basis is "home", and we don't need to prove ourselves here.

For people who travel frequently for work, or people who are able to travel often for leisure, the $100 fee is sensible. For the average American who'll perhaps go out of the country once in the ten years that passport is valid, the $100 fee is high.

I don't think Americans are afraid of passports; many are unwilling to pay $100 for an item that will be used infrequently, especially not when a free alternative exists (I assume everyone has a birth certificate in his or her file cabinet; otherwise, how'd you get a driver's license?). You're aware, aren't you, that MANY Americans never leave American soil in their whole lives, and MOST will leave the country only a few times in their whole lives. It's a result of living in a country almost the size of a continent. I know quite a few adults who've never been on an airplane. I know a few adults who've never been farther from home than the states that border our own. People who travel extensivly beyond our borders aren't a large group.

Archived