Box Wine, yep BOXED !!!!

mizona

DH and I sail 1 WEEK from TODAY!!! So, I'm starting a check list. My question is, how do I bring aboard a box of wine? Do I just tag it like we are planning to do with our Coke Zero? Or does it need to be in our already stuffed to the gills luggage? I know this will bring snickers from some; but in my opinion, some of the boxed wines are pretty darn good. :cool: TIA

I Just put the box wines in Hubby's suitcase.Did put it in plastic bag in case. Better he should have Purple clothes than me. But all went well. It lasted the whole 7 days and threw out what was left.

Boda is a good brand as well as Black Box. About $20.00.

In Alaska , we found a liquor store and did buy brandy there. Just put it in Hubby's jacket pocket and went right through security, no problem.

DH and I sail 1 WEEK from TODAY!!! So, I'm starting a check list. My question is, how do I bring aboard a box of wine? Do I just tag it like we are planning to do with our Coke Zero? Or does it need to be in our already stuffed to the gills luggage? I know this will bring snickers from some; but in my opinion, some of the boxed wines are pretty darn good. :cool: TIA

Hey Donna - we are leaving 1 WEEK from today? Did you book another cruise we're not aware of? haha Anyway, I'm glad you asked about the boxed wine. Maybe we could share (since it will be just the two of us drinking it). Have you started to pack yet? Talk to you soon! Aprylmarie

On our cruise in August on the Golden, my DD and her boyfriend brought 2 boxes of wine. They put them in a small soft sided cooler that zipped closed. They put a luggage tag and it was delivered to our Stateroom. We did the same thing with 24 cans of soda. No problems. Enjoy your cruise.:)

Hey Donna - we are leaving 1 WEEK from today? Did you book another cruise we're not aware of? haha Anyway, I'm glad you asked about the boxed wine. Maybe we could share (since it will be just the two of us drinking it). Have you started to pack yet? Talk to you soon! Aprylmarie

DUH.... brain fart:o Wish it was only 1 Week. Hope the next month "sails" by quickly .....

When DH and I were in Venice, we stopped in one of the "locals" grocery stores. We bought a 1 litre "box" of wine for 69 euro cents. It wasn't bad; a little weak, but for 69 cents, we had a few glasses of wine. Didn't have to worry about finding a corkscrew, either.

We often take a box of wine (usually Black Box wines) on our cruises to enjoy on our balcony. Our normal practice is to just put it in our checked luggage (those boxes and internal bags are tough and we have never had a leak). Regarding the previous post on Venice, they have a COOP market located along the Grand Canale at the Piazale Roma and that market usually sells a 5 liter box of wine for about 10 Euros. We bought the white table wine box and, much to our surprise, the stuff was actually quite drinkable.

Hank

We lived in Napa for many, many years, and frankly, there are many boxed wines that are quite good!!:p

When we had large parties at our home in Napa, we served the good stuff for a while, but then--no one cared what we served!:D

So taking some boxed wine, to fill-in on a cruise seems like a great idea! Drink it on your balcony and Who cares!! ;)

I have bought a brand of box wine in the past and it was quite good. Hadn't even thought about it for the cruise but since I saw this thread, what a good idea!!!

Here's my question.....would the box fit in the cabin fridge?

I have purchases Oak Leaf Wine in a 3 L box, which is smaller than the normal boxed wine, from Wally world. It not only fits in the refrigerator onboard, it is quite good also. Put it in my carry on when I cruise and no problems.

Just bought one the other day for my December cruise, will probably get one more. :D

I don't drink... but I used to - LOT!;) I worked in the wine distribution business for a while too. As the prior posters have pointed out, boxed wines have improved greatly in the past decade or so.

Anyone that disses boxed wine - per se - probably has no idea the varied processing and storage containers their favorite glass enclased vintage went through to get there. Very little of it compares to images from a generation ago.

Box toppage charges are stratospheric... Sommelier with box cutter rather than corkscrew?Just kidding...

Personally, I wouldn't do that. There are enough interesting moderate priced items on ship wine lists such that I'd avoid that social minefield at dinner. I never liked paying corkage unless the wine was very special and unusual. Plus the economics of it seem too polarized.

What do they charge for corkage these days $10-20?

I can't imagine even wanting to haul the box to the dining room. :)

I'm glad this came up as I'm planning to take a box on our cruise next year. Wasn't sure (silly me) if it was okay to bring a box since Princess says "bottle". I'll just need to find a store in London to buy it. No way am I buying here and flying there with a box! :p

We flew from Sacramento to Sydney several montha ago for a 20-day cruise. Took along a 5-liter box of white zinfandel (my favorite), packed in a small wheelie suitcase (18") along with sneakers & sandals, couple of lightweight rain jackets and some other miscellaneous space-filler items. This bag was checked along with our other bags (one 26" for each of us). Made the trip without damage or leaks, so I will be taking boxed wine on our 28-day cruise next spring.

We drink the wine in our room. I wouldn't take the box to the dining room, but would consider taking a glass of wine from our room to the dining room. Usually, if we want to have wine with our dinner, we order a bottle in the dining room.

For us only when we fly do we take the box wines. that is why I mentioned in earlier post that I put it in husband's suitcase. otherwise, take my favorite wines in a carry on .
Has anyone else flown with the boxed wines in their suitcases. Any problems with leakage & how did you wrap it. I'm thinking of packing 1 or 2 for next month.

Would never even think about bringing the box to the dining room.

Archived