Box Wine, yep BOXED !!!!

mizona

My favorite boxed wine is, by far, Black Box. (Chardonnay, Shiraz, and Merlot) The boxes will fit in Princess frig. Ask your cabin steward to bring you wine glasses. He/she will continue to bring them as needed, so you don't have to wash them yourself. We have brought a full glass into the dining room with not even a glance by the wait staff. Have fun.

I was wondering, since I am sure of neither the size of the boxes nor the size of the refrigerators, does anyone know if 2 boxes would fit in a frig at the same time? DH and I prefer different wines.

Thanks, in advance, for any kind information! :)

I don't drink... but I used to - LOT!;) I worked in the wine distribution business for a while too. As the prior posters have pointed out, boxed wines have improved greatly in the past decade or so.

Anyone that disses boxed wine - per se - probably has no idea the varied processing and storage containers their favorite glass enclased vintage went through to get there. Very little of it compares to images from a generation ago.

Glad I found this thread:D I have had some great suggestions on our rollcall as to wines to buy when we get to SFO prior to boarding, and fully intend to buy a box (or two;) - its a long cruise) of wine to take on board. Hope you can advise me!!!

Living in Spain as I do, I am not familiar with Californian wines. Here in Spain my favourite wines are made with the Parellada grape; Viña Sol, Conde de Caralt etc. Could you suggest a similar wine for me to buy? I would hate to buy a couple of boxes of wine and then find I don't like them:eek: TIA:)

When DH and I were in Venice, we stopped in one of the "locals" grocery stores. We bought a 1 litre "box" of wine for 69 euro cents. It wasn't bad; a little weak, but for 69 cents, we had a few glasses of wine. Didn't have to worry about finding a corkscrew, either.

Really? .69 Euros? So in USD only about a buck? Even if weak that is incredible and less than a bottle of water. I've had some decent box wine lately (incluing black box mentioned in this thread) but that runs about $7 per liter here in NJ. I was planning to pick up some local wines in venice to bring on board my cruise next year and will have to look for their boxes.

Glad I found this thread:D I have had some great suggestions on our rollcall as to wines to buy when we get to SFO prior to boarding, and fully intend to buy a box (or two;) - its a long cruise) of wine to take on board. Hope you can advise me!!!

Living in Spain as I do, I am not familiar with Californian wines. Here in Spain my favourite wines are made with the Parellada grape; Viña Sol, Conde de Caralt etc. Could you suggest a similar wine for me to buy? I would hate to buy a couple of boxes of wine and then find I don't like them:eek: TIA:)

Tia,

Sounds like you like white wines. The main white wine grape grown in California is chardonnay. I think there are spanish wines at Cost Plus. But, you are on vacation and it should be an adventure. Try our California wines.

When you get here, Safeway is the only nearby place to buy box wines. Don't buy the 5 liter boxes (too big probably to fit the refrigerator as well as they are at the bottom end of the quality scale). Your best bet is Black Box or Fisheye Chardonnay. Even better, buy a case of Freixenet Brut as it is under $10 a bottle at Safeway.;)

Jim

:D:D Jim, you know that I know that you have already given some great advice over on the roll call;) I am now asking a specific question, cos wine looks like it is expensive in SFO, compared to what I pay, and I do not want to make a mistake!!!! I am happy to experiment on board in the dining room, but I am not happy to cart a boxful of wine on board that I then find I don't like!!!

:D:D Re the Freixenet!! I really don't want to carry bottles, would rather have a wine box.......and $10 for a bottle is way too expensive:D

PS I'll try the Black Box, is that very dry?

We had two of the three liter boxes were in our refer on the Carnival Splendor last week and both fit into the fridge just fine. In fact we still had room for salsa and cheeses for our happy hour on the balcony.

The previous posters were correct in that boxed wines have come a long way in the last 10-15 years. I suggest that you spend a little prior to your trip and try some of the boxed wines and give them a chance. We were pleasantly surprised with what we were able find and have taken a couple of boxes on our last few trips.

Also, the inside “bladder” can be removed from the box if you are needing extra room inside the refrigerator and can be placed on the shelf inside.

You can carry on boxed wine in your carryon luggage - we have been doing it for years with no problem. A 5 L box fits perfectly in the room frig. The Princess book allows one bottle per person but does not specify the size of bottle!!

Had a little problem one time with one 5L box and two six pax of beer - they told me I could only carry two of the items aboard - I asked "what if the two six pax were one twelve pack" - he hesitated then said that would be OK - I held them together and said "now I have one twelve pack, have a nice day" and went on my way.

Ron

:D:D Jim, you know that I know that you have already given some great advice over on the roll call;) I am now asking a specific question, cos wine looks like it is expensive in SFO, compared to what I pay, and I do not want to make a mistake!!!! I am happy to experiment on board in the dining room, but I am not happy to cart a boxful of wine on board that I then find I don't like!!!

:D:D Re the Freixenet!! I really don't want to carry bottles, would rather have a wine box.......and $10 for a bottle is way too expensive:D

PS I'll try the Black Box, is that very dry?

Chardonnay is generally dry. Most if not all California wine (excluding dessert wine) are dry.

Jim

I can't imagine even wanting to haul the box to the dining room. :)

I'm glad this came up as I'm planning to take a box on our cruise next year. Wasn't sure (silly me) if it was okay to bring a box since Princess says "bottle". I'll just need to find a store in London to buy it. No way am I buying here and flying there with a box! :p

You will have no trouble ANY supermarket will have good boxes of wine for sale (unlike australia and USA you can buy any booze with your groceries at the same counter!!!) If you are going by taxi to the docks from your hotel or airport just ask the driver to stop at the nearestr supermarket;)

Another question regarding boxed wine. Has anyone taken boxed wine to the dining room - and what amount of corkage was charged?

I have a solution for anyone wanting to take the box to the dining room :rolleyes: (Keep your sense of humor here)

First you must be very creative and decorate it like a lovely high end hand bag.

Attach handles that have hidden flexible tubing.

This comes in very handy when you pretend to drop your napkin to bend over and take a big swig!

So go ahead and take your beautiful hand bag to the dining room.....

I wonder if anyone really has the nerve to do it..........If I decide to try i will take pictures!

Have a great cruise.

Lin

I have a solution for anyone wanting to take the box to the dining room :rolleyes: (Keep your sense of humor here)

First you must be very creative and decorate it like a lovely high end hand bag.

Attach handles that have hidden flexible tubing.

This comes in very handy when you pretend to drop your napkin to bend over and take a big swig!

So go ahead and take your beautiful hand bag to the dining room.....

I wonder if anyone really has the nerve to do it..........If I decide to try i will take pictures!

Have a great cruise.

Lin

That is hilarious! Had to wipe the wine off my computer screen. Just kidding.

After reading all these posts about boxed wine, I am definitely bringing one onboard next month. A lot less worry than glass.

We go camping and i often have the cask wine (boxed Wine) on board the motorhome.If we get invited out or want to be formal we simply decant the wine into a nice labelled screw top wine bottle or we use a carafe.The Carafe isnt going to work well on board ship?

Of about 40 different cask labels available in Australia there are only about 6 being very drinkable,albeit its a matter of personel taste.

I'm staying at the La Quinta in Hollywood before our Nov. cruise. Do you think I will be able to buy any box wine in the shopping close to the hotel?

I believe there is but in Ft Lauderdale there is a Publix grocery store and an ABC liquor (in the same plaza) very, very close to the port on 17th street.

So if you are taking a taxi to the port, ask the driver to stop at the plaza on 17th street where Publix (they'll know where it is) to stock up.

Also, give the hotel a call and I'm sure they can tell you if there is something close.

Count me in as another one who always brings boxed wine onboard :)

The 3L size fits perfectly in the small refrigerators and usually lasts for the whole 7 days. Had to have 2, 3L boxes for the 10 day cruise, though. You could fit 2, 3L boxes right next to each other on the bottom shelf. You may not have room for your ice container in there then, as some people leave theirs in the refrigerator. Our ice is always on top on the tray with the glasses. You can pick up wine glasses at any of the bars or have room service bring some to you.

Several times I have taken a glass of wine with me to the dining room. I really do not think I would take the box though as I would rather have it handy in my room ;) That was too funny about decorating the box as a hand bag :D

Total Wine on 17th Street in Fort Lauderdale has a good selection of boxed wine and their prices are very reasonable. I certainly would not mess around with glass bottles when the boxed wine is so easy to transport.

Living in Spain as I do, I am not familiar with Californian wines. Here in Spain my favourite wines are made with the Parellada grape; Viña Sol, Conde de Caralt etc. Could you suggest a similar wine for me to buy? I would hate to buy a couple of boxes of wine and then find I don't like them

I'm sure the Californians will be happy and proud to educate you!

Generally, California is blessed with very consistent weather year to year and a lot of sunshine. Some critics (typically French;)) criticize that California has too much of a good thing in the sun and that some vintages > sun = sugar = alcohol/acidity. Others (Californian;)) say that criticism simply tries to make inconsistent European vintages (weather) some sort of phony virtue. I guess you'll have to drink a whole bunch of vintages of both and make up your own mind!:D

Together with good weather, California historically attracted a lot of dedicated and talented immigrant vinter families from Italy (Mondavi, Parducci, Sebastiani, even Gallo) More recently, Hollywood's entertainment elite have invested as semi-pro/hobbyist vinyard owners (Coppola, Smothers, etc.) Finally, California is an agricultural juggernaut blessed with varied soils and strong agricultural science. Example: Pistachios once were from Iran; politics there goes bad, now pistachios are better, cheaper, more abundant - thank you California. Minnesota 'Wild Rice' (not anymore); if there's money in it, California farmers Rock! The University of California at Davis has developed a lot of cutting edge vinticulture science. Near SFO, Napa Valley is reknowned, but Sonoma and Mendocino counties are worthy too. The later produce some terrific whites.

In dry white wines, chardonney gets most acreage (white burgundy style) with sauvignon blanc following (white bordeaux style). In reds, cabernet sauvignon is king, with merlot following (red bordeaux style or Torres Black, Rioja comparable). Pinot Noir is still trying to gain greater credibility among lighter reds.

Individual labels? Good luck... and Cheers!:)

P.S. I think it's fair to say that in the budget price bracket, California outshines its EU competitors (Schwarznegger's people just won't bottle (or box) really 'bad' wine).

Archived