Mobile phone usage etiquette

Silver Spectre

Quietly sitting in a Panorama Lounge this morning, reading the paper and minding my own business, when a 'gentleman' near by calls on his mobile phone.

His voice loud enough to share his business with the entire room.

Would have been happy to approach another guest in politness, but this was the Silver Sea 'f' ART lecturer.

Does anyone have an opinion on wether it would have correct to have told him to shut up.

Not wishing to be overly rude, I left and found an alternative quiet area.

Recently on "Silver Cloud" we were constantly assaulted by a loudmouth on his mobile phone. This person seemed to believe we were all interested in his business, we were not. At lunch one day we had the incredible experience of listening to him conducting business whilst in the toilet off the pool bar. Some people go on cruises to get away from business life and all that goes with it, this particular person was very lucky my wife restrained me as the phone was about to be given the "deep six".

On a Trans Atlantic with Oceania, with phone access all the way, no phone was heard or seen in any public area. Restraint, not abuse was shown by everyone.

I am sure that many of us have slipped up from time to time. Maybe i involved having a conversation in the library, or being with a few people and talking a little louder than we need to. Whether the person is a fellow passenger, someone who is part of the crew, an officer, or the art expert, just pointing this out in a calm manner and giving the person the benefit of the doubt is the honorable thing to do. I am sure if we messed up we would apreciate someone pointing this out in a calm manner as well.

Keith

I think you should make it quite evident that you are listening to his conversation! Act interested! Join in the conversation! Apparently, folks who carry on conversations on the phone in public places EXPECT others to take part!

I have had that happen while sitting in a 'quiet' area off the atrium ... man sits down in next chair and proceeds to talk LOUDLY into a walkie-talkie. After a few minutes of pure nonsense back and forth talk ... I joined in on his conversation ... answering questions that the other party asked. A few seconds of this and I got a rather nasty glare from him ... I responded with a pleasant smile and continued talking. He got the hint and left. :D

• 2 weeks later...
I would pretend to get on my phone and talk loudly about the idiot next to me......

I hope I have the nerve to do this next time some loudmouth boor starts yakking on his phone at an inappropriate time or place. People seem to think their phone is some kind of life support machine that you can NEVER turn off [/rant]

Archived