Sterilize baby bottles on ship ?

pearl12970

We are planning to go on a cruise in Nov with my 15 month old. He's still on the bottle and was wondering how I can sterilize his bottle and nipples if there are no microwaves in the cabins ?:(

We are first time cruisers planning to take a 7 day Carribean cruise on the Liberty of Seas.

I am sure many parents have travelled with toddlers / infants and already have a solution to this :-)

Please let me know.

Edited by pearl12970

You could buy the bottles with disposable liners and just wash the nipples in the sink. I know you probably don't want to hear this, but unless your child has a medical condition that makes them immunocompromised you don't need to sterilize their bottle. If that is the case they shouldn't be on a crowded ship! :rolleyes:

I thought sterilizing bottles ent out 30 years ago? I used to teach prenatal classes (as an OB nurse) and would tell parents that if you are on city water, you don't need to sterilize, the water in the dishwasher was hot enough. Only if you had well water was it recommended, but only if you took some of your water to your county extension people and it tested as 'iffy'. The water on the ship is sea water desalinated by reverse osmosis, and is purer than the bottled water people insist on drinking. Chill out, you are on vacation. The hot water from your cabin faucet should more than do. EM

Our DS was 14 mos and still on bottle when we went on holiday AWAY FROM HOME. We got him to drink from different thing and method.

Yes, I agree with you! For us too.

OP, perhaps now might be a good time to introduce your toddler to the sippy cup?

Have a good time; Liberty is a phenominal ship. :)

We are planning to go on a cruise in Nov with my 15 month old. He's still on the bottle and was wondering how I can sterilize his bottle and nipples if there are no microwaves in the cabins ?:(

We are first time cruisers planning to take a 7 day Carribean cruise on the Liberty of Seas. Please let me know.

Mom if this child is eating table food, there is no need to sterilize bottles. In fact unless the kiddo has a problem, there is no need for sterilization.:)

You may get more help on the Family Cruising board.

I mostly nursed my children until they were about six months old, although they did get the occasional bottle. When they started crawling and could pick the lint out of the carpet and eat if before I could get to them, I figured it was safe to stop worrying about how sterile the bottles were!

We are first time cruisers planning to take a 7 day Carribean cruise on the Liberty of Seas.

I am sure many parents have travelled with toddlers / infants and already have a solution to this :-)

Please let me know.

Go here to the Family Cruises part of the Cruise Critic board. Over there you will find a lot more people who went through what you are asking. Post your same question over there. ;)

Click on this link and you will go right there.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

I think you will get some more answers to your questions. :D

Edited by Alexis

I thought sterilizing bottles ent out 30 years ago? I used to teach prenatal classes (as an OB nurse) and would tell parents that if you are on city water, you don't need to sterilize, the water in the dishwasher was hot enough. Only if you had well water was it recommended, but only if you took some of your water to your county extension people and it tested as 'iffy'. The water on the ship is sea water desalinated by reverse osmosis, and is purer than the bottled water people insist on drinking. Chill out, you are on vacation. The hot water from your cabin faucet should more than do. EM

Well, I had my kids at the end of the "sterilize" everything era. There were no disposable bottles, and having been the oldest of 8 kids, I watched my mother go through the ritual for years. So, I sterilized.....but, my kids were weaned from the bottle well before their 1st birthday.

Zap forward 25 years or so....my newborn grandson.....Mom didn't sterilize a thing. I must say, it was quite a shock and it was a struggle to zip my lip and mind my own business. I was successful.

That kid is now a happy, healthy almot-19 year old who's never had anything more serious than a headcold and sore throat. He was also off the bottle before his 1st birthday.....

When I think of the hours and hours I spent with all that....hmmmm....

You don't think she got adequate answers here to her question? Hmm. I certainly do.

I sent her over there because that is the family board and she will be more welcome there with her questions.

I would hate to see a new Cruise Critic member never come back here because of some of the answers given her.

We are not here on CC to judge her reason for asking the question. We should just try to answer her questions for

her and leave it at that.

Edited by Alexis
  • Like 1

Pearl, no one is trying to upset you,, but , ask your doctor,, unless child has medical issue you do not need to sterlize his/her bottles. In fact, at that age its time to wean to a cup . You can make that choice as you want,, but, the sterlizing thing is really not important.

All three of my kids have survived into their teen years so far.. LOL

Zap forward 25 years or so....my newborn grandson.....Mom didn't sterilize a thing. I must say' date=' it was quite a shock and it was a struggle to zip my lip and mind my own business. I was successful.[/quote']

The thing I couldn't get used to was giving the grandkids baby food right out of the jar without warming it. YUK.

I can't believe you still sterilize bottles & nipples for a 15 month old?:confused:

That is what I thought-unless the instructions have changed-it used to be you stopped when the child reached 6 months-as their immunity had kicked in-I would think at 15 months it would no longer be necessary-LOL! Perhaps Mom and Dad sterilize for themselves also?

Of course the child may have immunity issues-so it may still be necessary. If that is true-this is not a joke-and I am sure the ship would help the parents out-when they explained his issues.

It could not have been 30 years ago-my daughter is 25-but she was a preemie-maybe that is why my baby's DR told me to do this.

But, I was also told the microwave would not work-and if I could not afford a bottle sterilizer-to boil the nipples in a soup pot-which is what I did- as I also used the disposable liners.

I think the microwave thing must be correct also-I live in Ga-near Atlanta in Douglas county-and because of the flooding we are under a "boil water" advisory-not a "microwave water" advisory.

I can't believe you still sterilize bottles & nipples for a 15 month old?:confused:

Give her a break it's her 1st. It is usually the second that you stop that.

Did you not read - the very next post I gave her an USEFUL suggestion on how to do it.

If you really feel you must continue sterilizing, you could bring an electric baby bottle sterilizer.

But like the pervious poster said, unless your baby has a medical condition, sterilizing bottles is really unnecessary.

^ Exactly; an adequate answer was given, and it's probably the only one that makes any sense, if OP wants to continue sterilizing. Room service can't deliver boiling hot water, and electric kettles are not permitted in staterooms.

Having said that, sometimes, people just need to hear things from others who have been down this road before - those who have raised children and grandchildren. All I said was perhaps now might be a good time to introduce a "sippy cup", which was helpful for us in transitioning from bottle to cup. It's an "in-between-y" cup, and they don't need to be sterilized.

You will find most folks helpful and kind

This how I would do it – in the buffet area there is a hot water dispenser for tea, use that to get your hot water. Place the nipple into a cup to rinse the nipple then rinse out the bottle too.

Also, if there is a Coffee bar on your ship they could steam the bottle & nipple for you.

There may be a handy dandy small appliance you could bring.

Good luck and have a great cruise!