What are the luxury cruise lines?

Alliea

The true luxury lines don't have "classes" - everyone is treated exactly the same (wonderful!), eat in the same dining rooms, etc.

You will find all kinds of people on the luxury lines - but everyone seems to have the same love for travel and appreciates all the special things offered on the luxury lines.

I have one story about clothing and a luxury line - while in the Crystal Symphony Lido early one morning (6 AM-ish), the man I was sitting with said that his wife didn't like for him to tell people that the tee shirt he was wearing was bought at the Dollar Store. I told him that I wasn't sure that I could continue to sit with him as my tee shirt cost $6 at Target!:D:p;)

Tillie, you don't KNOW what happiness your wonderful post brought to me this morning!! Thank you for sharing!!! I've read some viscious posts here by some "so-called" well bred people really being nasty to people about what they wear, (or more to the point, what they CAN wear, it sounds like maybe for many (in this economic times??) its all they have and maybe it's taken years to save for the trip itself and it's a once in a life time thing, has cleaned them out, nothing left for a suit or tux?). I have felt soo bad for them, if they are truly making the effort with the best they have in clean clothes and a shirt/tie, God bless 'em! lol!! I was getting a bit worried I'd be on a ship for 2 weeks with a lot of judgement mean-spirited people, but YOU my friend have given me hope that their are friendly, fun people on these ships!!!

(ps. I LOVE to dress up, and DO, but never judge those that can't or choose not too. I just happens to be something I love to do even at home! LOL!!!)

Have a WONDERFUL CRUISE!!!!!!!

Tillie, you don't KNOW what happiness your wonderful post brought to me this morning!! Thank you for sharing!!! I've read some viscious posts here by some "so-called" well bred people really being nasty to people about what they wear, (or more to the point, what they CAN wear, it sounds like maybe for many (in this economic times??) its all they have and maybe it's taken years to save for the trip itself and it's a once in a life time thing, has cleaned them out, nothing left for a suit or tux?). I have felt soo bad for them, if they are truly making the effort with the best they have in clean clothes and a shirt/tie, God bless 'em! lol!! I was getting a bit worried I'd be on a ship for 2 weeks with a lot of judgement mean-spirited people, but YOU my friend have given me hope that their are friendly, fun people on these ships!!!

(ps. I LOVE to dress up, and DO, but never judge those that can't or choose not too. I just happens to be something I love to do even at home! LOL!!!)

Have a WONDERFUL CRUISE!!!!!!!

I too had a laugh at TexasTillie's T-shirt story! Oh yes there are many views on these forums (most to be read with a huge pinch of salt!) but prior to our very first cruise last year on Silversea, I fretted for weeks over what to wear, would we look right, would we be "acceptable"! LOL! As if!!! LOL! I really need not have worried. We met all sorts of people from all sorts of backgrounds, and thankfully none of them were even in the slightest bit interested in what anyone was wearing. It was lovely to see everyone dressed up - and I for one enjoyed seeing the ladies in their finery and the boys in their tux's or lounge suites as I, like you love to put on the glamour, and love seeing my husband in his Highland dress. But what made it for me was when I was wearing an absolutely stunning (IMHO) maxi dress for which I got so many lovely compliments - what I didn't let on was how little it had cost me (£20) - I just graciously said "thank you"!:) So not everything is as it seems, eh?

Anyway everyone knows the real toffs (in the UK) recycle their clothes for years and years and years - I have a dear friend who is very well-connected and she wears blouses which literally are falling apart but have a good collar so hidden under a jumper no-one sees but of course the jumper itself will usually have a few holes in it - and most of her "fashionable" clothes are her mother's. She wouldn't dream of buying anything "new" or if she did it would be from a charity shop.

Enjoy your travels and your dressing up!:)

On our last Crystal Cruise our table consisted of a retired police detective, her husband a computer programmer, a doctor and his wife, a retired Silicon Valley executive, my wife who is in health care and me, who is currently between jobs. Other cruises we've had fire fighters, retired sales people, all sorts of people. Makes for an interesting adventure.

• 2 weeks later...
On our last Crystal Cruise our table consisted of a retired police detective, her husband a computer programmer, a doctor and his wife, a retired Silicon Valley executive, my wife who is in health care and me, who is currently between jobs. Other cruises we've had fire fighters, retired sales people, all sorts of people. Makes for an interesting adventure.

Nice to see the civil service pensions we all pay for, are allowing public service folks to buy cruises they would otherwise not be able to afford. Yes, sorry but it is a little sarcastic. We had the local paper print the pensions paid to some of the local union retired firefighters & police. Some of these guys pensions are well over 100K.

Nice to see the civil service pensions we all pay for, are allowing public service folks to buy cruises they would otherwise not be able to afford. Yes, sorry but it is a little sarcastic. We had the local paper print the pensions paid to some of the local union retired firefighters & police. Some of these guys pensions are well over 100K.

If it's anything like my retirement & pension, I know I worked my butt off my whole life for it in a comfy white collar position, put lots of my own money IN to it, and have earned every cent. I have NOT rushed in to burning buildings, put my life at risk in smoke & fires to save lives every week, rescued junkies and faced guns pointed in my face on a regular basis to earn my pension. I HOPE I can meet some of these "civil servant pensioners" on this cruise, so I can shake their hands and thank them. They have MORE than earned every cent.

I've found from personal experience on past vacations/ cruises, what I can take for granted as just this years "vacation", is most times a once in a life time saved-up-for experience for many of these fine people. THOSE are the most wonderful people I ever meet on cruises, truly. They know the true value of life, real life.

I hope that doesn't sound "sarcastic', I truly mean this from the bottom of my heart.

Wow...A bit elitist, aren't we?

Wow...A bit elitist, aren't we?

Yes, perhaps. I'm by no means wealthy, but when I see what "we" the taxpayer are paying for these pensions, it bothers me. This is one of the reasons Europe is having the problems it's having..It will come to pass here as well, unless they're brought to more reasonable levels.

Yes, perhaps. I'm by no means wealthy, but when I see what "we" the taxpayer are paying for these pensions, it bothers me. This is one of the reasons Europe is having the problems it's having..It will come to pass here as well, unless they're brought to more reasonable levels.

Please make sure you let us know when and where you are sailing, I don't want to be on a ship with anyone with that attitude. You probably begrudge the military their benefits too.

Back on topic, determining which lines are the luxury lines involves more than costs and dressing up, it is a matter of sophisticated elegance and exceptional, unobtrusive service where your every need is anticipated before you even know it exists.

So, you expect people to live without pensions? Tell you what. Devote your life to saving lives and putting your life on the line every single day like firefighters and police do, and then we'll talk. I'm guessing you've worked in a nice comfy white collar job with a 401K?

I did not mention that the detective's husband was a computer programmer who worked for a consultant for a silicon valley firm. He met her because he was a volunteer auxilliary police officer. To quote a famous prophet, those who cast stones...As we were in the category E staterooms and all our table mates were on the penthouse level, we were in the low rent district.

So, you expect people to live without pensions? Tell you what. Devote your life to saving lives and putting your life on the line every single day like firefighters and police do, and then we'll talk. I'm guessing you've worked in a nice comfy white collar job with a 401K?

As is usual, none of you really READ my post. I have nothing against pensions. I just feel that public service pensions(not military) are out of line. I worked a Union job for 20 years(before it went south)made about $45K. My pension will be about $4K when I collect in about 15 years. If you wonder why local taxes are so high(and going higher)it's you & I having to foot the bill for these pensions. I'm all for pensions, but if you all want to pay more & more taxes, then feel free. So as to you Kitty9/FolsomMike/Zqvol etc. No I do not have a cushy whitecollar job. I work for & am part owner of a catering company..so sorry to disillusion you all.If you don't want to be on the same ship..Well I'm sure not to lose any sleep over it.

As is usual, none of you really READ my post. I have nothing against pensions. I just feel that public service pensions(not military) are out of line. I worked a Union job for 20 years(before it went south)made about $45K. My pension will be about $4K when I collect in about 15 years. If you wonder why local taxes are so high(and going higher)it's you & I having to foot the bill for these pensions. I'm all for pensions, but if you all want to pay more & more taxes, then feel free. So as to you Kitty9/FolsomMike/Zqvol etc. No I do not have a cushy whitecollar job. I work for & am part owner of a catering company..so sorry to disillusion you all.If you don't want to be on the same ship..Well I'm sure not to lose any sleep over it.

My local taxes are high because of school taxes, not anything else. At least 70% of my yearly property taxes for both homes I currently own goes to the school district and not to the pensions of fire fighters or police. Check your property tax bill and see where all that money is allocated.

As is usual, none of you really READ my post. I have nothing against pensions. I just feel that public service pensions(not military) are out of line. I worked a Union job for 20 years(before it went south)made about $45K. My pension will be about $4K when I collect in about 15 years.

Is that a year??

Keep in mind that many of these folks also have spouses who work or worked and that often the amount of annual pay they received was lower because of the longer term benefits of the pension. Their jobs are also some of the riskiest jobs one can have and for some a cruise will be a cruise of the lifetime.

Finally, people need to understand that the years that these people work are far less than for most other professions.

Remember the risk that each of these people faces each and every day. if one needs a reminder, think about 9/11 and the heroism that was displayed and the loss of life.

Very easy to criticize pensions or salaries for most professions.

I think the whole point of the post that led to the discussion of pensions is that on any cruise including one on a luxury line you travel with people of a wide range of backgrounds and income levels and to me that is part of what makes traveling so very interesting. To me, travel is discovery and that includes learning new things both on and off the ship.

Keith

My local taxes are high because of school taxes, not anything else. At least 70% of my yearly property taxes for both homes I currently own goes to the school district and not to the pensions of fire fighters or police. Check your property tax bill and see where all that money is allocated.

You'll find that a lot of your school taxes go into supporting the pensions & very good health benefits. Our teachers/fire/police(here) pay VERY little for their benefits(unlike the rest of us)In many cases these benefits continue after retirement as well. You'll notice on your tax bill it DOESN'T break down where the tax money goes. Perhaps if you knew where it really goes, then you'd think a tad differently. As i've said I believe in fairness. By the way I'm not a Tea Party person. Tea Party is just a nice way of saying a "Bunch of Homophobic Racists". Saw that on a shirt..Have to say I agree quite a bit with that shirt.

Yes. Public pensions are obviously much more generous.

WOW just over $300. a month... not a very big pension for you then

Hope you get some sort of government pension to live on

In Canada we get Old age pension at 65 plus CPP if you worked & paid into that pension plan then any private pension from employer (if you had that)

My father was a teacher and retired at age 56, one year older than I am now. He recieved a check for over a quarter million dollars as he got paid off for any sick days he did not take. In addition, he had completely covered health care until he was on medicare. I love my dad, but as a highly skilled school administrator, should he have been allowed to retire at such an early age. Not only that, he was earning the equivalent salary of a corporate executive who had similiar budget and personnel responsiblities. That is not getting underpaid in my book.

Check out an article in USA today, which is far from a mouthpiece for the Tea Party. It found that government workers on average got 5% more in pay than the private sector and 60% more in paid benefits. This is outrageous. I have a 401K and will not be able to retire when I am 65.

Firefighters and policeman do some very dangerous jobs. But here in CA it is the prison guards that really take the bacon. They are paid over 50% more than similar positions in other states. No wonder why it costs twice as much to incarcerate a prisoner here than elsewhere. All that was a result of a deal that a former governor made with their union to garner their support. He got reelected than thrown out of office a year later. We go stuck with the bill

That being said, are we not getting a little bit off subject.

WOW just over $300. a month... not a very big pension for you then

Hope you get some sort of government pension to live on

In Canada we get Old age pension at 65 plus CPP if you worked & paid into that pension plan then any private pension from employer (if you had that)

I will get Social Security & have a rather small IRA. As to government employees, many were exempt from social security, but got really fat pensions. You'd think they have to live like the rest of us, guess not.

My father was a teacher and retired at age 56, one year older than I am now. He recieved a check for over a quarter million dollars as he got paid off for any sick days he did not take. In addition, he had completely covered health care until he was on medicare. I love my dad, but as a highly skilled school administrator, should he have been allowed to retire at such an early age. Not only that, he was earning the equivalent salary of a corporate executive who had similiar budget and personnel responsiblities. That is not getting underpaid in my book.

Check out an article in USA today, which is far from a mouthpiece for the Tea Party. It found that government workers on average got 5% more in pay than the private sector and 60% more in paid benefits. This is outrageous. I have a 401K and will not be able to retire when I am 65.

Firefighters and policeman do some very dangerous jobs. But here in CA it is the prison guards that really take the bacon. They are paid over 50% more than similar positions in other states. No wonder why it costs twice as much to incarcerate a prisoner here than elsewhere. All that was a result of a deal that a former governor made with their union to garner their support. He got reelected than thrown out of office a year later. We go stuck with the bill

That being said, are we not getting a little bit off subject.

Yes, we are, but thank you for vindicating me at least a little bit. You're right let's get back on track.

I am rather shocked that people who are well off and lucky enough to be able to cruise on luxury lines would begrudge a public servant their probably well earned pension. Many times a person's salary is lower during their working years, to compensate for a large pension. The rest of you probably had a nice salary and a cushy job!

This is a very popular subject throughout the country at present. The cities are now in trouble because of this practice and pensions will probably become obsolete in time.

Those people with nice pensions planned their lives and chose those occupations, partially based on the pension. They were smart!! Those of you who are critical could have done the same. Sounds like sour grapes to me.....

Now we can get back on track! (After I get bashed around a few times..)

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread, but this statement ticked me off. Over half the fire fighters and EMS in this country are volunteers. Some get a small uniform/equipment/training allowance that doesn't begin to cover their costs every year. My husband is a volunteer EMT, we figure it costs us over two thousand dollars a year that is not reimbursed--he has to have CEU's to maintain his certification and has to take time from his paying job, pay for the courses, buy equipment and uniforms, get various medical exams and vaccinations, etc. Sure, we can take some of it in our taxes, which works out to a small fraction. He gets a whopping $200 a year uniform/training allowance which barely covers the cost of the boots he's required to wear. We won't even talk about the gas to get to and from the squad house and training classes, which can be the other side of the state.

Pension? Ha. You're funny.

If you live in a big city, it's all paid services. But even in many larger towns it's volunteer. By the way, yes, he also has a white collar job with a 401K, but it would be larger if we put the money spent on saving lives into it. Think about that the next time you or a loved one calls an ambulance or the fire department or you make an assumption about who will or will not get a pension.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Archived