Why do we eat with strangers on cruises but nowhere else?

When my bf and I cruise, it's our alone time, so we request a table for two. We just like it better; we're on vacation and we want to spend our time together, just the two of us. I know that we are in the minority, as most people enjoy cruising because you get to eat at large tables with new people. That seems to be one of the biggest reasons people like cruising over land-based vacations.

Why is that? Why is cruising so different from traditional restaurants or land-based resorts? I don't know the history of it, so I'm very curious about this. Do folks eat at large group tables when at home? What's the appeal?

Please don't flame me for not wanting to meet people, etc., because that's not the case with us. I'm just genuinely curious as to why it's so unique to cruising.

I like meeting others on the cruise ship. Part of why I think it is great to have others on your ship. Also part of the reason that I like going to the Japanese Choppy Chop restaurants on land where they seat different parties around the same table. Of course I am a people person anyways..

When my bf and I cruise, it's our alone time, so we request a table for two. We just like it better; we're on vacation and we want to spend our time together, just the two of us. I know that we are in the minority, as most people enjoy cruising because you get to eat at large tables with new people. That seems to be one of the biggest reasons people like cruising over land-based vacations.

Why is that? Why is cruising so different from traditional restaurants or land-based resorts? I don't know the history of it, so I'm very curious about this. Do folks eat at large group tables when at home? What's the appeal?

Please don't flame me for not wanting to meet people, etc., because that's not the case with us. I'm just genuinely curious as to why it's so unique to cruising.

Our purpose to travel is to see different places, meet wonderful people and experience different things. Eating with others meets one of our fundamental reasons for travel and something we don't get the chance to do on any other vacations. As a family we eat meals together EVERY night. We have date nights, once per month. I am not looking for yet another reason to eyeball him, granted pretty baby blues;)

My DH & I enjoy dining with others on a Cruise and meeting new friends. We dine together at home so its enjoying to meet people and make new friends. many times you meet people you will be friends for life. Interestingly, we have a group Cruise planned for our CC Calif Thread and would have been seated with many of them at a Table but asked to be seated with strangers, since we will be seeing our Calif Friends throughout the cruise. We will however have one of the ladies from our Hawaii Cruise, linked to our dining & possibly one other couple from that crusie.

We've done it both ways...our last cruise was my favorite with regards to dining...Portifinos and Chops 5 nights, one night in WJ, and one night in Sea View Cafe...we ate when we wanted more or less...with DD Chops and Portifinos 3 of the nights had to be a bit on the early side, otherwise it was more or less when we wanted, with whom we wanted. We did sit next to another small table in Sea View Cafe and chatted with guests we had come to know on the cruise.

If we do the Colon Panama departure, I would probably be happy to sit at a table of 6 where everyone speaks English, but where the other two couples are from Latin America to get to know another perspective on areas South of the Border.

We have alway sat with other people at dinner on our cruises. This time it is just the 4 of us, I hope, I asked for a table for 4 so I hope I get it. I don't mind sitting with others, but sometimes I feel I have to keep the conversation going, and sometimes I just don't feel like doing that, then you have the weird situation at the dinner table. We'll find out what I like better after July 4, 2010, just a family table or a table of 8 or 10

Our purpose to travel is to see different places, meet wonderful people and experience different things. Eating with others meets one of our fundamental reasons for travel and something we don't get the chance to do on any other vacations. As a family we eat meals together EVERY night. We have date nights, once per month. I am not looking for yet another reason to eyeball him, granted pretty baby blues;)

Very well said. I am a people person and the wife and I love to cruise and meet new people. We have had good tables and bad tables. We have made friends that have lasted for years. I enjoy hearing things other people did during the day. We met a couple that lived less then a mile from us on one cruise.

If you've ever stayed at a B&B, generally you are eating with strangers also. It's very rare to find one with individual tables. As for the cruising, our experiences eating with strangers have been quite pleasant - so far; so good.

On my last cruise, I sat at a table for 2 with my mum (she prefers this)

To be honest, we get sick of eachother, but did have alone time during the day. It was nice though that I didn't have to think before being sarcastic or making jokes, I didn't miss wondering how others would react. Not that I am a crude or rude person, but I have a dry wit.

I enjoy larger tables because I am interested in people, I like to hear about other excursions or cruises and frankly the idle chit chat is kind of nice.

I'm one of those people that strangers just seem to talk to randomly, I guess I'm approachable or something, so I kind of enjoy eating with other people.

I usually request a table for 8 - 10 and it has worked out very well. We have made friendships with folk that we have kept in touch with for years. Normally the table ends up with someone that dosnt mesh with others but it seems they switch to their own table and the group has a good time. My DW went to alaska on a cruise and her mother wanted a table for two. They were not speaking by the 8th day of the 9 day cruise. NCL has the anytime dinning and you can sit with someone new every night. It wasnt bad but I still like to have the same waitstaff all the time.

I actually requested to be seated at a table w Englsih speaking non-Americans on my next 2 cruise. Unfortunately, there is no space on the agent's computer form to make that request.

I will try to make the change when I am on the ship.

DON

I really doubt eating dinner with strangers is at the top of anyone's list for why they chose a cruise over a land based vacation. It's also not unique to cruising, I've seen similar arrangements at all-inclusive resorts.

We would rather eat by ourselves as well...we don't cruise to meet people. My parents, on the other hand, LOVE meeting new people and they have made many long-lasting friendships by cruising. I don't get it though!

Consider that in ages past (before pre-mind numbing television running during meals) conversation and dining (rather than just "eating") was entertaining and enlightening.

One might not enjoy it as much if they aren't comfortable with making conversation or with the social niceties? It is a skill, for sure but one worth developing. To me, sitting at a table for two is taking the easy way out. I've got the entire cruise to talk to my partner. What's a couple of hours out of my cruise to (hopefully) feed my mind with potential new friends?

I find it fascinating and can pretty much talk to anyone about anything. I learn soooooooo much meeting new people, and this in turn enriches my life and makes it easier for me to be outgoing with future strangers.

We enjoy the company of other cruisers and to listen to all their traveling stories of all the places they have been. It can be very educational to learn from others experiences. We love to cruise, and we are people persons too. Makes for a very enjoyable dinner to talk about adventures in cruising! :D

We've been married for 33 years--it's NICE to be able to converse with others! I mean, we love each other, we eat together 2-3 times a day, we go out alone for special "nights out",....there's nothing wrong with it being just the 2 of you.

But...on a cruise, it's nice to have 2 hours with other like-minded folks! After all, we spend the entire day together on the ship...a couple hours talking to others is pleasant!

And, you'll notice, the larger tables have more fun...check it out!

We don't cruise BECAUSE we're seated with other people...but we do enjoy it!

I actually requested to be seated at a table w Englsih speaking non-Americans on my next 2 cruise. Unfortunately, there is no space on the agent's computer form to make that request.

I try to find English speaking Americans... that why it's my wife and I...:D

I really doubt eating dinner with strangers is at the top of anyone's list for why they chose a cruise over a land based vacation. It's also not unique to cruising, I've seen similar arrangements at all-inclusive resorts.

One can sit in a Japanese steak house restaurants with those big grill tables or some country "family style" restaurants with strangers! It's nice to be able to trade small pleasantries or make conversation with strangers.

Sadly, it seems to be a dying art or skill. :(

If you've ever stayed at a B&B, generally you are eating with strangers also. *SNIP*

Great comment, I stayed at a B&B in D.C. and it was GREAT...we ended up sharing a rent a car with another couple we met there and ended up sightseeing together.

Also, the trend lately (at least locally) for upscale restaurants has been tables for two very close together. It allows for some privacy but all conversation over a whisper can be overheard. I like it, because you get to see what everyone else ordered and hear their comments. The practical reason for this is also the trend towards smaller restaurants.

Archived