SCAM ALERT: Watch out for guy who will ask if you speak English

Waking life

• 7 months later...

Can't believe I read this forum back in March just researching Old San Juan. Finally cruise time, came down a couple days early and guess who I just happened into wondering if we spoke English? Haha, thanks CC! I didn't make a scene at all we are in town with our elderly parents and family. My DW however was incensed when I told her who he was and why I blew him off, she watched him go about a block down and approach two ladies, she took off after them, walked up listened for a second and exposed him right in front of them. He was livid, told her to "mind her own business" and took off down the street looking back the whole way. DW was pumped that she had the chance to out him, she will be on a high for a while!

• 2 weeks later...

Of course, if you want to screw _him_ over, go to an oriental market and buy Joss money (used to provide for the departed's afterlife in Buddhist belief).

Take a wad of Joss money and wrap a $1 around it. Boy will he be surprised when he peels off the outer bill. If he does it too soon (in front of you) tell him it's for the good of his soul. I think it would be worth the $1 plus materials.;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We met him last week near the Sheraton. He didn't ask if we spoke English first, he asked "could I ask you for a little help?". He started to tell the tale of going into a not-nice area of the city and having his wallet stolen. I told my sister "this is the guy I told you about. Come on!" And pulled her away from him. Thanks for the heads up CC!

Aww! I'm glad to hear our favorite scammer I is alive and well and it's business as usual. He must be making a decent living at it to have lasted this long. And he gets to live in beautiful, sunny San Juan, working his own hours and answering to no one (not even the police, apparently). :)

This guy has been at it for so many years, I wonder why the police haven't stopped him. There are usually a fair number of officers in and around the port and Old San Juan.

• 2 weeks later...
Can't believe I read this forum back in March just researching Old San Juan. Finally cruise time, came down a couple days early and guess who I just happened into wondering if we spoke English? Haha, thanks CC! I didn't make a scene at all we are in town with our elderly parents and family. My DW however was incensed when I told her who he was and why I blew him off, she watched him go about a block down and approach two ladies, she took off after them, walked up listened for a second and exposed him right in front of them. He was livid, told her to "mind her own business" and took off down the street looking back the whole way. DW was pumped that she had the chance to out him, she will be on a high for a while!

Exactly what my wife did to me. He spotted us from the bus he was riding, we were waiting for a cab at the Sizzler. He got off the bus and started telling us his story, and I immediately said we didn't have any money. My wife and daughter were furious that I blew him off. However, they were more furious with me when I showed them the thread here on Cruise Critic. From then on I have to tell them everything I know about the places we travel to :)

• 2 weeks later...

Saw him today in the ferry terminal. Charming, and dressed like a tourist: yellow polo and khakis. I can see how people would believe him. He gave his speech to a couple in line behind us. The husband pulled out some cash while the wife was nudging him not to, so I said, "you're all over the Internet! Your dad has been getting mugged for years and years!" He insisted I had him confused for someone else, and I told him, "not according to Cruise Critic." He said again that I was confused, but slunk away.

Have a look back in the thread - I posted a picture of him. Picture an older version of the actor Ryan Stiles.

Your picture is spot on! We were approached by him after our cruise on Sunday December 13th. It was around 9pm. We were walking past Senor Frogs on the way back to Sheraton Old San Juan. He was a little more aggressive than I expected, he actually hollered at us to get us to stop. It only took about 3 seconds and I realized who he was because of CC. Thanks to all who have posted. I have a rather twisted sense of humor so I had to let him give his speech (ok , I felt a little famous because we were targeted -lol). So once he finished, I quickky said no and we turned to walk away. He told us we should be ashamed of ourselves and I told him he should come up with a new story because his scam is all over the internet. He shut up and walked away.:D

• 2 months later...