Walking from FLL Renaissance hotel to port

septrack

I can't fathom that anyone would purposely set out to walk to the ship

with all their luggage in tow.

Nothing to fathom! Shame on us, we purposly set out to do this! Its a nice walk. Never considered saving the $$$.

Its no big deal! By the time we reached the porters people at the Renaissance were still jostling for cabs and the shuttle which by the way fill up the day before and don't hold many people due to all the luggage.

Thank goodness we have choices. :cool:

Nothing to fathom! Shame on us, we purposly set out to do this! Its a nice walk. Never considered saving the $$$.

Its no big deal! By the time we reached the porters people at the Renaissance were still jostling for cabs and the shuttle which by the way fill up the day before and don't hold many people due to all the luggage.

Thank goodness we have choices. :cool:

This was not even directed at you. I was referring to the OP. We had a very easy experience at the Renaissance.

Truthfully, if there had been a problem getting a cab, they yes, we probably would have footed it in.

I walk 3 miles a day, so trust me, a half mile walk is not a big deal.

No problem walking provided your ship is berthed at #2. You are correct when you say taxis won't like it if they only have to "across the road." In fact, they will probably turn down the fare.

Crew (and especially staff) frequently take cabs back from Publix

and the calling station. Faster and less crowded than waiting

for the van(s).

True, but I think it is strongly implied that if one is asking about walking to the dock vs cabbing to the dock, the only reasonable conclusion that can be drawn is they want to save a few bucks.

Well then you need to rethink what is implied.

I'm 35 and personally i enjoy walking. Every break and lunch at work i do the unthinkable. I WALK. Most weekends during the summer we walk/hike 10 miles or more and enjoy every moment of it. I understand not all are fortunate enough to be able to do that but while we are, we will.

Trust me if it is 90 degrees and 90 percent humidity then i will be the first in-line for cab. I like to walk but I'm not going to torture myself.

But the OP is staying the night before at a hotel close by, so i can see why and would even walk myself. We are smart packers and usually just have one large roll away per person. I have schlepped a roll away bag walking thru London, Amsterdam, Paris, Tel Aviv, Jerusalem, Frankfurt, and on and on and on.

I think its humorous the OP made no mention of money and 50 posts later people are still implying they are too cheap to hire a cab. I could afford (if i cared too) to hire a marching band, followed by rose petal bearers, and a stretch limo to drive us the mile to the port yet if the weather is nice i would just as soon walk.

Well then you need to rethink what is implied.

I'm 35 and personally i enjoy walking. Every break and lunch at work i do the unthinkable. I WALK. Most weekends during the summer we walk/hike 10 miles or more and enjoy every moment of it. I understand not all are fortunate enough to be able to do that but while we are we will.

Trust me if it is 90 degrees and 90 percent humidity then i will be the first in-line for cab. I like to walk but I'm not going to torture myself.

But the OP is staying the night before at a hotel close by, so i can see why and would even walk myself. We are smart packers and usually just have one large roll away per person. I have schlepped a roll away bag walking thru London, Amsterdam, Paris, Tel Aviv, Jerusalem, Frankfurt, and on and on and on.

I think its humorous the OP made no mention of money and 50 posts later people are still implying they are too cheap to hire a cab. I could afford (if i cared too) to hire a marching band, followed by rose petal bearers, and a stretch limo to drive us the mile to the port yet if the weather is nice i would just as soon walk.

Thank you Maxamus, and those who answered the question as it was intended.

As the OP of this thread, I have stayed out of this discussion as I felt quite insulted the direction that some choose to take a simple question. Personally, while only 50 years old and one who enjoys long walks, I couldn't have said it better than you. Now as to my motivation, since some are so concerned by it!

As an elite member, whoose spent many tens of thousands on cruises over the past decade, $10 certainly would not be the determining factor in whether hiring transportation. If it was, I certainly wouldn't be staying at the 4 star Rennaisaince in the first place, as it has no free shuttle service from the airport. I'm sure I probably could have found a motel six somewhere with shuttle service!

To me convenience is primary. I saw an ariel map view which shows that the distance is about 2.5 times the length of the ship. (following roads, not as a crow flies) . I was slightly concerned that I didn't want a snarly cab driver (since the fare was so small) to mildly annoy me as we started our vacation, and yes, walking for 5 minutes (even with 1 suitcase in tow) would be preferable to some of the hassle in arranging/taking a cab. If its nice, and the ship is at the closest pier, we will probably walk. If the weather is hot or raining, we will probably take the shuttle as that sounds the most convenient.

I hope this satisfies those who were so concerned that I might be trying to save a buck! (After all what's it to you if I was) Personnaly, I think that those who would ascribe monetary values in others decisions, should take a good look at themselves, as obviously, money is more important to them than it is to me!

maximus did not mean to offend

You but u must realize most

People are not smart packers

Therefore the walk would b harder

On those toting a lot of luggage

I am a smart packet my

Husband is not

He is a health nut I am not

I walk a lot too but don't

Enjoy it

I guess that's the difference between u and me

Happy travels

maximus did not mean to offend

You but u must realize most

People are not smart packers

Therefore the walk would b harder

On those toting a lot of luggage

I am a smart packet my

Husband is not

He is a health nut I am not

I walk a lot too but don't

Enjoy it

I guess that's the difference between u and me

Happy travels

No worries dear, i didnt take any offense from what you said. I just quoted what you said since many might be thinking the same thing. While we might disagree on things on Cruise critic i still consider most on here freinds and would enjoy buying you a drink some day while cruising... ;)

Thank you Maxamus, and those who answered the question as it was intended.

As the OP of this thread, I have stayed out of this discussion as I felt quite insulted the direction that some choose to take a simple question. Personally, while only 50 years old and one who enjoys long walks, I couldn't have said it better than you. Now as to my motivation, since some are so concerned by it!

As an elite member, whoose spent many tens of thousands on cruises over the past decade, $10 certainly would not be the determining factor in whether hiring transportation. If it was, I certainly wouldn't be staying at the 4 star Rennaisaince in the first place, as it has no free shuttle service from the airport. I'm sure I probably could have found a motel six somewhere with shuttle service!

To me convenience is primary. I saw an ariel map view which shows that the distance is about 2.5 times the length of the ship. (following roads, not as a crow flies) . I was slightly concerned that I didn't want a snarly cab driver (since the fare was so small) to mildly annoy me as we started our vacation, and yes, walking for 5 minutes (even with 1 suitcase in tow) would be preferable to some of the hassle in arranging/taking a cab. If its nice, and the ship is at the closest pier, we will probably walk. If the weather is hot or raining, we will probably take the shuttle as that sounds the most convenient.

I hope this satisfies those who were so concerned that I might be trying to save a buck! (After all what's it to you if I was) Personnaly, I think that those who would ascribe monetary values in others decisions, should take a good look at themselves, as obviously, money is more important to them than it is to me!

Well said!

Its only a few that hijack the thread and turn it into a $$ saving issue.

We will continue to walk. ;)

No worries dear, i didnt take any offense from what you said. I just quoted what you said since many might be thinking the same thing. While we might disagree on things on Cruise critic i still consider most on here freinds and would enjoy buying you a drink some day while cruising... ;)

And I would be delighted to accept your gracious offer!:);)

Thre is nothing wrong with walking -- last time we got a taxi to go from the port to the Embassy suites -- we had to put with the yelling, swearing and terrible driving because the driver was uset over the short fare. We are staying at the Ren on our upcoming trip and plan to walk over to avoid such a horrible scene. Also -- we don't pack the house to go on a cruise -- one carry on each is all we need. It has nothing to do with the cost of the taxi ride -- it has to do with no wanting to be verbally assaulted by an upset cabbie and getting a little exercise in the morning.

Anyone done this to board ship. Seems rather silly to hire taxi for half mile and I imagine the cabbies hate short fares like that. Any problems come up walking. Any other choise besides cabs if there is a problem walking.

TIA

I wonder if this thread might have taken a different slant if septrack had just asked if anyone had problems walking the distance from the hotel to the ship and had not editorialized that he felt it was silly to hire a taxi. It seems he might have offended those who would have taken a taxi, because they thought it was silly to walk.

A lot of threads seem to degrade when people post their opinions rather than just asking a question.

It is .8 miles from the Ren to pier 2 - if you can do this in 5 minutes in 90 degree weather hauling luggage you should consider entering the Olympics. I believe the current record for the mile is just under 4 minutes.icon7.gificon7.gif

Ron

I wonder if this thread might have taken a different slant if septrack had just asked if anyone had problems walking the distance from the hotel to the ship and had not editorialized that he felt it was silly to hire a taxi. It seems he might have offended those who would have taken a taxi, because they thought it was silly to walk.

A lot of threads seem to degrade when people post their opinions rather than just asking a question.

Very interesting point, billco.

Have to totally agree with you:)

But Septrak didn't.....

Guess we can "what if" all day long.

Opinions are what this site is all about.

Archived