Walking from FLL Renaissance hotel to port

septrack

Anyone done this to board ship. Seems rather silly to hire taxi for half mile and I imagine the cabbies hate short fares like that. Any problems come up walking. Any other choise besides cabs if there is a problem walking.

TIA

We did it last year and it worked out great! Our suitcases rolled along side us and to the ship we walked! It was even drizzling a bit, but we have no problems walking so why not? We walked past cars that were waiting to go through customs. We merely stopped at customs showed them our ID passport, and in we went. I would do it again from that hotel.

Christapie

http://cruisett.com/ports.php?Ports check this website to see if any other Princess ships are in port on your sailing date. We left from the closest Princess Pier last year & returned to the one further away--many people that had parked were crabby since they had to get back to where they were parked their car-don't know if Princess provided shuttle service for free or not. So if you are not at the first one--could be a longer walk. We have had a $6 per person ride that the Concierge arranged the last couple of years--perfect since there are 6 of us. We then tip them but well worth it in my opinion! have used them 4 times-1 time from Renassiance, 3 x Yankee Clipper. The crew does walk from the port to stores on 17th street because we have seen them plus been told by the crew therefore can be done. What I do not know if Princess only uses the 2 docks (I am sure someone knows if these are the only 2 since they problably lease them) since there can be a lot of ships in port on the same day.

Anyone done this to board ship. Seems rather silly to hire taxi for half mile and I imagine the cabbies hate short fares like that. Any problems come up walking. Any other choise besides cabs if there is a problem walking.

TIA

No problem walking provided your ship is berthed at #2. You are correct when you say taxis won't like it if they only have to "across the road." In fact, they will probably turn down the fare.

No problem walking provided your ship is berthed at #2. You are correct when you say taxis won't like it if they only have to "across the road." In fact, they will probably turn down the fare.

They will not turn down the fair. My brother has stayed at the Renaissance and has taken cabs numerous times to the Princess terminal with no problems....The parking attendants out in front of the hotel will get one for you.

Depending on when you are cruising and what the weather is like it could be fine to walk or brutally hot. We've been having a really hot summer & fall here in Ft Lauderdale. I agree with a previous poster who said it would be worth the few dollars to just hop in a cab for the ride.

IMHO, it's worth $5 to grab a cab and not have to lug luggage, carry-ons, etc.
Couldn't agree more.

You are correct when you say taxis won't like it if they only have to "across the road." In fact, they will probably turn down the fare.
I highly doubt that they will turn down the fare.

I have stayed at the Renaissance a few times and we have never had a problem getting a cab to take us to the ship. With the traffic, security, etc. I would not walk. The cabs are usually waiting right outside the Renaissance.

It all depends on where the ship is docked. It could be a short walk, it could be well over a mile. IMHO, it's worth $5 to grab a cab and not have to lug luggage, carry-ons, etc.

Where do you get a taxi for $5 - they have a minimum of $10 posted on the door window!!

Ron

FLL Renissance is a beautiful hotel. Good restaurants and fast food very close by. Good choice to HAVE a possiblity to walk. Our cruise out on the Queen Mary 2 came on the Sat. after Thanksgiving with 8 ships in port and the taxis on strike. I would have liked the possibility to walk.

We dropped off our rental car at Budget in the Quay plaza next to the Renaissance and walked from there as we did not feel like waiting for their pokey shuttle bus :) Not a problem. Stayed to the left sidewalk past Walgreens and followed the sidewalk to the Princess terminal. Very easy as we all had rolling suitcases and it was a nice day.

You will see a bunch of cruise ship personnel walking to or from their ships along this route. I think many of them go to Walgreens to pick up essentials.

I would not even try it if your ship is on the other side of the port as it would be a very longggggg walk and there is a bunch of traffic through there.

I have walked many times from the ship to Walgreens for supplies. However if I were starting a cruise I would not like to walk pulling my baggage in the heat of the day, the hassle is too much when for a few bucks a cab will drop you off without any effort.

The distance to Berth 2 is definitely do-able, and I'm all for walking, but I worry most about the impact on my luggage when I do one of those 'long hauls'. I tend to wear out the wheels on my luggage before anything else, particularly if a piece is packed to weigh 50 pounds. Luggage is expensive, and if I chose not to walk it, that would be the reason.

Where do you get a taxi for $5 - they have a minimum of $10 posted on the door window!!
Opps... my age is showing. :) Last time I cruised out of FLL was years ago. I just remember staying at the FLL Renaissance and seeing the taxis lined up to take passengers to the ship; it was very reasonable.

However if I were starting a cruise I would not like to walk pulling my baggage in the heat of the day, the hassle is too much when for a few bucks a cab will drop you off without any effort.

Amen! I'm on vacation...there is no way I'd want to drag my suitcase behind me for that walk. It can be a long walk too if your ship is docked at one of the further areas.

we could have walked it but I'd only

Attempt it in ideal weather conditions

The concierge flagged a taxi for us

We were prepared for a $10 fare

And he only quoted us $5 when we arrived

So we were really surprised we gave him

The $10 anyway

What's 10 clams when we're on vacation?

Unless you have a problem walking or it's raining it's a very easy walk to pier #2 from the Renaissance, even rolling some luggage. The people who take a cabs are the ones who don't realize how close the terminal really is.

We once used the EZ check for our two large bags and walked with our two carryons to the Bimini Boatyard (rught behind the Ren) upon disembarkation. At my age (73) I would NOT even consider sclepping all of our bags from the Ren to pier 2 just to save $10. My final answer.

Ron

We stayed at another hotel near the pier. We checked with the woman at the guard gate about walking to the ship. She told us it was OK. But another woman was at the guard gate when we returned with our luggage. She gave us a lot of hassle about why it was not allowed. One of her points was that it would be OK for us, but not for the luggage, which is why the crew members were being allowed to carry small bags and backpacks, just no one with wheeled luggage. Eventually she let us through.

All in all, I'm glad we're staying at a hotel that has a free shuttle later this month.

The people who take cabs are those that don't want to have a heart attack while hauling several pieces of luggage through the cars, busses and trucks at the terminal and have allowed the $10 in their budget of several thousand dollars.

PS - this my second final answer.

Ron

Archived