Where to find summer clothes in Nov.???

Mpowered

I won't bore you with the details of why I'm asking :o, but I need to buy some summer clothes for our January cruise in the Caribbean. Of course, no one seems to be selling summer clothes now. Where can I shop?

Thanks!

Joan

I may be of little help since I live in Texas, but many department stores around here still have summer clothes on clearance. The inventory isn't like it is in the Summer, but there are things available.

Have you tried online? You might find that some online stores have items on clearance.

I am in Illinois... definitely NOT summer season here:p but, I have had a tremendous amount of luck in both stores and online. Everything I have bought has been on clearance (bonus!). For example, I got 2 pairs of dressy capri's and 2 pairs of shorts for 29.00 total! Check ebay too. Good luck! and have fun on your cruise! We're leaving in 15 days for the Mexican Riviera...... ahhhhhh, sunshine!

Tina

I just bought a bunch of shorts for my cruise next month by hitting the clearance rack at Jones New York, department stores, and the outlets. I have lost over 70 pounds this year, and my summer shorts are literally falling off of me. This is a difficult time of year to find summer clothes, but they are out there. Another option is Lands End. I saw shorts and swimsuits on their site. Good Luck shopping!

Thanks for the information and especially for the specific store names. cb at sea, thanks to chemo, the summer clothes I wore just a few months ago no longer fit! My favorite local shops no longer have summer clothes out. I'll take a look at these suggested places, and I'll take a closer look at Lands' End. About half my clothes come from there, anyway. :-)

Happy cruisin'!

Joan

Hi, Lois. Thanks for the good wishes! The chemo isn't so bad except for the 2-3 days that I have horrible pain. :-) The rest of the time, I just feel tired. The really great thing about the chemo is that it's working! It isn't likely to cure me, but it should keep me going for a while (ovarian cancer).

By the way, I had an aunt named Lois, and it's one of my favorite names. I don't see it often.

Joan

Some of my fav. sites ( I love to shop on-line!!), Target.com (great clearance section), Overstock.com, SmartBargains.com, ColdwaterCreek.com (ditto re: clearance), SoftSurroundings.com. I've heard there on some on-line stores that specialize in "cruise wear", maybe google that.....

Sorry to hear of your after-chemo side effects....hang in there and I know you'll have a wonderful cruise.

Lynda

Hi, Lois. Thanks for the good wishes! The chemo isn't so bad except for the 2-3 days that I have horrible pain. :-) The rest of the time, I just feel tired. The really great thing about the chemo is that it's working! It isn't likely to cure me, but it should keep me going for a while (ovarian cancer).

By the way, I had an aunt named Lois, and it's one of my favorite names. I don't see it often.

Joan

Hi Joan, thanks:)...and oh, how I wish you the very, very best....

My mom had ovarian:(.....

Thanks for the information and especially for the specific store names. cb at sea, thanks to chemo, the summer clothes I wore just a few months ago no longer fit! My favorite local shops no longer have summer clothes out. I'll take a look at these suggested places, and I'll take a closer look at Lands' End. About half my clothes come from there, anyway. :-)

Happy cruisin'!

Joan

Last month I found a few things for my hubby, but it was hard. He waited until October to tell me he needs new shorts. I found him 2 pair, both khaki-but, oh well, if he told me in August, I could have bought him shorts in every color.

Have you tried QVC? I just bought a skort set from them last month. I had bought a different color of this same style back in the summer. I did not intend to buy another, but when I found I could not find summer stuff, I went to their website and bought myself another skort set. I may buy another. I haven't decided. So if you notice me wearing the same skort set but in different colors, you will know why, QVC. ( Remember, I am on your cruise.)

I have heard, since we will be so close to the equator, it will be really hot. That is why I wanted the skorts for daytime. I do have capris I will wear when we are closer to FL, but I wanted something cooler when we are near to South America.

Try the clearance section of http://www.travelsmith.com.The clothing is lighter and wrinkle resistant. I'm taking several of their pieces along with traveler pieces from Chico's sale rack.Most of nthese items can be handwashed and dry overnight. I'm using fake cashmere scarves from Target for color. I'm flynig to Florida and tr4ying to minimize my pieces.

Hang in there with the chemotherapy!

Try the clearance section of http://www.travelsmith.com.The clothing is lighter and wrinkle resistant. I'm taking several of their pieces along with traveler pieces from Chico's sale rack.Most of nthese items can be handwashed and dry overnight. I'm using fake cashmere scarves from Target for color. I'm flynig to Florida and tr4ying to minimize my pieces.

Hang in there with the chemotherapy!

Are these natural fibers? if not, she will not be comfortable. We will be in Aruba, Curacao, Colon, Costa Rica. The sun is super strong there.

Are these natural fibers? if not, she will not be comfortable.
That is a generalization that is untrue. Some manmade fibers are designed specifically to wick away sweat and be worn in hot & humid conditions (these fabrics were designed for athletes and their use has spread to other types of clothing, starting with "travel" clothing) I personally won't go near the Equator without Coolmax :p Keeps me FAR more comfortable than cotton, linen or silk would, and it dries faster too!

That is a generalization that is untrue. Some manmade fibers are designed specifically to wick away sweat and be worn in hot & humid conditions (these fabrics were designed for athletes and their use has spread to other types of clothing, starting with "travel" clothing) I personally won't go near the Equator without Coolmax :p Keeps me FAR more comfortable than cotton, linen or silk would, and it dries faster too!

Actually this comment I meant to be directed to the OP's situation, and not a general comment for everyone. I do think I know a little bit about her situation-why? Because I have been posting to the OP on our roll call and we have exchanged information and we are going on the same cruise, I know the cruise she is taking, and what ports we will visit.

I am 55 years old and post menopausal. I live in the south where 95 degree summers are almost the norm. The OP is also from the south, a few years younger than me, and is going through treatments for serious health issues.

In extreme hot summer heat, I cannot deal with fibers not natural -even the ones that supposedly "wick away "or of thin material that is supposed to be "cooler." I have tried them all. In fact even before menopause, polyester and rayon I rarely wore on super hot days. They have always been spring and fall clothing materials for me.

Now, perhaps I am wrong about the OP, but I assume with her heath issues, this would a problem for her also. Although my heath issues are not as serious as hers, I do know my meds have worsened my tolerance for heat and direct sun.

I have been told by several previous cruisers on the HAL board,that we can expect in the Panama Canal area, for the sun to be fiercer, and that it is extremely hot year round. That area is very close to the equator. And of course, we will want to be outside watching the transit, so we will need comfortable clothing that breathes.

Now, I am not saying everything I take will be natural fibers. My evening wear will not be-but then I will be inside an air conditioned ship.

Edited to add-yes, I see you are from North Carolina and have done a full transit-but I imagine also you are considerably younger. In time you may understand to what I am refering.

I'm always hot - I imagine menopause will completely suck for me. But you have no idea what other things are going on in my life or my health, just as I don't know what's going on in your life or that of the original poster. I made a comment that you made a generalized statement that is untrue - natural fibers are NOT automatically better than manmade fibers in cases of heat & humidity. If Coolmax doesn't work for you, I'm sorry, but that doesn't mean everyone who's menopausal or whatever will feel the same way. I don't cruise a lot, but I do travel a lot - often to developing countries where I don't get to spend a lot of time in air-conditioning. In those cases, I prefer wicking fabrics. I can't always dress completely in them, because there aren't (yet) a lot of business clothing made from it, so I will wear natural fibers as well. I spoke out of my experience, in hopes that it would help expand the shopping & dressing comfortably opportunities of others. Many people don't realize that there are manmade fibers designed to wick sweat away from you & breathe, and assume that polyester = uncomfortable hot fabrics from the 1970s, when in truth there is a huge variety out there, often something that will suit everyone.

I'm always hot - I imagine menopause will completely suck for me. But you have no idea what other things are going on in my life or my health, just as I don't know what's going on in your life or that of the original poster. I made a comment that you made a generalized statement that is untrue - natural fibers are NOT automatically better than manmade fibers in cases of heat & humidity. If Coolmax doesn't work for you, I'm sorry, but that doesn't mean everyone who's menopausal or whatever will feel the same way. I don't cruise a lot, but I do travel a lot - often to developing countries where I don't get to spend a lot of time in air-conditioning. In those cases, I prefer wicking fabrics. I can't always dress completely in them, because there aren't (yet) a lot of business clothing made from it, so I will wear natural fibers as well. I spoke out of my experience, in hopes that it would help expand the shopping & dressing comfortably opportunities of others. Many people don't realize that there are manmade fibers designed to wick sweat away from you & breathe, and assume that polyester = uncomfortable hot fabrics from the 1970s, when in truth there is a huge variety out there, often something that will suit everyone.

Well I guess it boils down to we have a difference of opinion then. That does not mean either of our posts are with out value.

Okay, here I am again to speak for myself. ;)

I appreciate all of the great suggestions. Thank you for taking the time to respond, and you were very helpful.

As for the TravelSmith.com suggestion, I was happy to see that because I had forgotten about that place. I do like natural fabrics most of the time, but I am also a fan of certain synthetics. For 10 years, I spent most weekends in a kayak or canoe, on a whitewater river. I was using some of those synthetic fabrics before most people had heard of them. Now my outdoor activity is herding trials (sheep and border collies), and they happen regardless of the weather. I still use certain synthetics during certain conditions. I'm a fan of Coolmax, too!

Furthermore, I am a cold-natured person. My husband is the opposite. While I'm on chemo, it is even harder for me to stay warm. I do have an occasional hot flash, but typically I am trying to get warm or stay warm. :D I just wanted ideas on where to look, and I got lots of good ones.

momofmeg, thanks for trying to look out for me. Sometimes I need that, sometimes I don't. I probably didn't this time. :o

hoyaheel, I see that you are a researcher in North Carolina. Do you live near RTP, by any chance?

Thanks again!

Joan

• 3 weeks later...

Archived