Tiiping advice

LindaNC

On our next cruise, we are not having assigned dining but trying the 'anytime' along with the dinner buffet. With that in mind we are not having the tips taken out automatically (plus we always prefer the old fashioned 'envelope' method, for our cabin and wait staff).

In the past when we have eaten dinner in the buffet we have left a couple of dollars under the plate when we have finished.

What have other people done with 'anytime' dining waiters, assuming you get a different waiter each time you go in?

Have you tipped them as you have left or figured you would seem the same servers on your return trips to the dining room?

Not knowing which cruiseline you are on, I do have to say that some, NCL, Carnival plus others add a daily service charge to your onboard account. We have chosen My Time Dining on RCI twice and the gratuity is added to your final payment before you set foot onboard the ship. I think it is the same with others, such as Princess, but anyone can correct me on that.

What cruise line are you going to be sailing?

I've always left the autotip in place.

The gratuities are designated for the waitstaff and others who wait on you hand and foot. Whether you have traditional, anytime or eat every meal at the buffet, somebody waits on you....and, most of the waitstaff work several venues.

Just leave your tips in place. Leave more if you want but when you remove your tips, somebody gets shafted...somebody who has served you in some way.

On our next cruise, we are not having assigned dining but trying the 'anytime' along with the dinner buffet. With that in mind we are not having the tips taken out automatically (plus we always prefer the old fashioned 'envelope' method, for our cabin and wait staff).

In the past when we have eaten dinner in the buffet we have left a couple of dollars under the plate when we have finished.

What have other people done with 'anytime' dining waiters, assuming you get a different waiter each time you go in?

Have you tipped them as you have left or figured you would seem the same servers on your return trips to the dining room?

Where are you living, that a "couple of dollars" is a sufficient tip?

I let the cruise line decide what is a customary tip, divided up among all the appropriate staff, including the waiters that not only serve dinner in the main dining room, but generally serve food all day long in a variety of venues, some of which I may visit, others not. That "customary tip" ranges from $10-$12 per person per day, depending on the cruise line.

Then, if someone (like my cabin steward) does something out of the ordinary, and has been particularly helpful, then I give him/her cash at the end of the cruise, somewhere between $20-$50 additional.

The anytime dining thing -- unless you specifically ask for them, it is most unlikely that you'll get the same waiters every night. They do rotate through different venues. And besides, again, they're serving breakfast and lunch, working in the buffet, etc. I'm not about to try to follow them around the ship to tip them accordingly. That's why the "service charge", or pre- or post-paid "tips" are a real convenience. I'm assured that the proper people get their compensation, and then I'm free to tip additionally if I so desire.

I didn't answer your question completely. If you leave the auto-tip in place, all the people who will be serving you will be tipped. You don't need to worry about anyone not being tipped nor have to carry around cash all the time. You don't need to leave a tip at the buffet.

If you insist on tipping each time you eat, you should leave at least $2 per person each meal. The (roughly) $10 per day auto tip is divided between the servers, assistant servers, head waiters and cabin stewards.

With anytime dining it is much easier to leave the auto tipping in place

It will work out for you & the crew

If you leave a couple of $$ per meal they still have to turn in that money to the TIP POOL so you are doing no one any favours yourself included.

We have never found we received any less service with the anytime dining & auto tips

Even if you don't do the "auto-tip", if you tip according to the guidelines, there's no need to leave a couple of buck under your plate. The way they set up the guidelines for tipping assures that EVERYONE who is supposed to get tipped, will!

Where are you living, that a "couple of dollars" is a sufficient tip?

I let the cruise line decide what is a customary tip, divided up among all the appropriate staff, including the waiters that not only serve dinner in the main dining room, but generally serve food all day long in a variety of venues, some of which I may visit, others not. That "customary tip" ranges from $10-$12 per person per day, depending on the cruise line.

Then, if someone (like my cabin steward) does something out of the ordinary, and has been particularly helpful, then I give him/her cash at the end of the cruise, somewhere between $20-$50 additional.

The anytime dining thing -- unless you specifically ask for them, it is most unlikely that you'll get the same waiters every night. They do rotate through different venues. And besides, again, they're serving breakfast and lunch, working in the buffet, etc. I'm not about to try to follow them around the ship to tip them accordingly. That's why the "service charge", or pre- or post-paid "tips" are a real convenience. I'm assured that the proper people get their compensation, and then I'm free to tip additionally if I so desire.

Where am I living where a "couple of dollars" is a sufficient tip????????

Try reading the whole question.

In case you didn't understand, I said we usually leave a couple of dollars after we have eaten in the buffet. You know, that place where we serve ourselves!!

Many thanks Happy K's;LHT28; and G'ma for your 'tips'!! We just wanted to make sure the tips went to the people serving us. Did not realise they went into a pot to be shared with everyone. Auto will work then.

We've just returned from a fortnight's freedom dining with P&O, and the auto tip for freedom was £1.60 per day- around $3. The cabin steward was extra.-this may give you some idea of what the rates are- jocap.

Where am I living where a "couple of dollars" is a sufficient tip????????

Try reading the whole question.

In case you didn't understand, I said we usually leave a couple of dollars after we have eaten in the buffet. You know, that place where we serve ourselves!!

Many thanks Happy K's;LHT28; and G'ma for your 'tips'!! We just wanted to make sure the tips went to the people serving us. Did not realise they went into a pot to be shared with everyone. Auto will work then.

In fact if you withold the tips from the auto plan and give cash to the servants that work on you, they will NOT get it. They will have to turn it in. If you leave your auto tip plan in effect and decide to give someone extra then they are allowed to keep it after it is proved you still have the auto plan. Also that auto plan covers the staff at the buffet since that changes. Dining room staff also cover buffet at different times.

In fact if you withold the tips from the auto plan and give cash to the servants that work on you, they will NOT get it. They will have to turn it in. If you leave your auto tip plan in effect and decide to give someone extra then they are allowed to keep it after it is proved you still have the auto plan. Also that auto plan covers the staff at the buffet since that changes. Dining room staff also cover buffet at different times.

We did not know that. We incorrectly assumed the recipient kept whatever we gave them.

Thank you for the information.

Archived