Will an expired passport do the job?

Kappa

We're hoping to sail 12/12 from NYC->Bahamas and back. NCL tells me that I will be fine if I bring my expired passport as it is a "closed loop" itinerary. However, there is nothing on their site or the State Dept site saying this works.

Has anyone done this?

Thanks

How expired is it? If it is just a few months or even a year you can probably use it. I would check with them to be sure.

David

Only a year or two expired. They tell me as long as they haven't been expired for more than 10 yrs.

I'm tempted to just wing it, but it would suck to be deprived of a much needed vacation because of paperwork. And I'm afraid I won't have a leg to stand on if there were trouble.

www. travel.state.gov is the US Passport Services web site. Since you are leaving and returning to the same USA port a Passport is not required. However, since you ask if a Expired Passport is acceptable, I would take the word of "one More" NCL representative as truth. If you have an original birthcertificate plus your photo ID (license) then you may just want to bring that along for safety. I am running into the same scenario for our next cruise but it won't expire until we are sailing.

Bon Voyage

An expired passport is expired. Meaning, "not valid, not useful as a passport". Now, since you're going on a closed-loop cruise -- one that starts and ends in the same US port -- and if you have a certified birth certificate and another government-issued ID with a picture (like driver's license), then you won't need a passport. So get the birth certificate, and you should be OK. But I personally wouldn't show up with an expired passport...and no birth certificate...and expect to get on board.

An expired passport is expired. Meaning, "not valid, not useful as a passport". Now, since you're going on a closed-loop cruise -- one that starts and ends in the same US port -- and if you have a certified birth certificate and another government-issued ID with a picture (like driver's license), then you won't need a passport. So get the birth certificate, and you should be OK. But I personally wouldn't show up with an expired passport...and no birth certificate...and expect to get on board.

Well, that is contrary to what they've directly told me at NCL, and now I've found the text on the Carnival website the agrees with the NCL people.

Unfortunately, the State Dept doesn't address the topic anywhere that I could find.

Thank you for the definition of "expired"

I agree with Uppitycats, It is EXPIRED. Either take the OTHER required documents or get a new passport.

you asked the question but you don't like the answer. You will like it even less if you are refused boarding and lose all your money for the cruise. and Telling them that the NCL rep. told you it would be okay, will not hold one drop of water.

Also as stated if you go the other documents route and anything happens that require you to fly home you are in deep do do.

I tried to use an expired picture drivers license as identification for airport security and was rejected.

Cruise lines tell you that your passport should have 6 months left on it when you need it to get on their ships.

You probably do not need a passport for this trip. But you probably need a birthcertificate and goverment picture ID. Check the US Dept of State for the requirements.

Well, it's kind of late now, isn't it? What do you think you will end up doing? Seriously asking.

Plus, I agree: expired is expired, no good anymore, like it doesn't exist. You couldn't fly home in an emergency on an expired passport, so it's no good. You should read about the people here who wonder if their valid passport will be OK if it's got less than 6 months to go - theirs is still valid, and they're wondering.

We're hoping to sail 12/12 from NYC->Bahamas and back. NCL tells me that I will be fine if I bring my expired passport as it is a "closed loop" itinerary. However, there is nothing on their site or the State Dept site saying this works.

Has anyone done this?

Thanks

I have gotten a passport in a few hours. Can't this be done in NYC?

And just to further add to the comments--make sure that your birth certificate is an official state issued with a raised seal. Back in the 90's we went to Mexico and DH's birth certificate was issued by a military hospital (we didn't know the difference) It wasn't caught until we were leaving Mexico by the officials. They let him on the plane (thank goodness) but not sure what would happen today if the same circumstances happened!

It's probably too late now but why not just renew your passport? It really baffles me why people are so resistant to either getting one in the first place or renewing an expired one, especially if you booked the cruise several months in advance.

Prior to the WHTI expired passports were used all the time to prove citizenship; however, the new regulation does not specifically list them as one of the proofs any longer. I have not seen any posts since June 1 2009 where pax used them to board the ship in lieu of a certified Birth Certificate.

An expired passport is expired.

Meaning, "not valid, not useful as a passport". ===> You're kidding us,right? :D

- I personally wouldn't show up with an expired passport...

and no birth certificate...and expect to get on board. ===> But give it a try,huh?

Oh this is such a funny thread. :D

"What about Expired don't you understand?" I'm tempted to ask.. :cool:

How's about we simply get you a new passport

and toss the old one in the dumper, where it belongs.

Wouldn't that make more sense somehow?

No?

If you have time, renewal is easy. If you don't have time, you can go to a passport office and get a new one in one day. You will have to pay extra but it will be worth it in the long run not to have to worry about whether you are OK or not. I had to do the one-day thing in Miami after my bag was stolen at the airport. It took about 7 hours but I did a little sightseeing, had a couple of nice meals and picked up my passport in time to make the last flight that day to my destination (international). You can check the website to see where the passport offices are. It was lucky for me that the theft didn't happen in, say, Charlotte.

Oh this is such a funny thread. :D

"What about Expired don't you understand?" I'm tempted to ask.. :cool:

and toss the old one in the dumper, where it belongs.

Wouldn't that make more sense somehow?

No?

Maybe they could use their expired credit card to pay for the cruise.:eek::D

and toss the old one in the dumper, where it belongs..

Since you are going on a closed loop cruise use your BC and DL.

Do not throw away your expired passport!

Get your passport renewed now for the next time. I was able to use my 15year expired maiden-name passport for the renewel process. Had to pay like it I was getting a new passport though.

Wow. I'm glad you all have enjoyed the "expired" bit. There's been a couple of valuable responses and then a pile of jerks who want to be snide about a fairly trivial question.

For those of you that can't or don't read, I don't have the time to get it renewed. I'm looking to avoid the expediting expense. I don't have an original birth certificate.

I was looking for anyone else who'd tried this method, but instead I found a bunch of jerks.

Happy sailing.

The people who advised you to renew your Passport or bring a "certified copy" of your birth certificate (not original) are not "jerks". They are giving you correct advice. You stated that your Passport has been expired for 1-2 years. If that's your only government-issued proof of citizenship, you may be in trouble, and may be denied boarding. Or not. You won't know until you get there. You can request a certified copy of your birth certificate from the County Courthouse (where you were born) for about $12-$15.00. This can be done in a day.

Good luck!

Guess I'm just not understanding why, when you booked this cruise, you didn't understand the proof of citizenship requirement. Sorry. Good luck, anyway.

Archived