Just off Oasis!

avalon1025

In MIA, waiting for my flight and just off a 2 night preview cruise on Oasis! Some thoughts:

Amazing Wow factor!

The cabins are fine, with the beds separated the closet becomes awkward and the cabin safe is tiny

The bathroom is great and roomy, but the sink is very shallow and very low

Their is no Internet cafe, some converted crew cabins..sad

the public spaces are lovely, but very limited connection with the sea as there are not many public rooms with windows - like Vegas where you never know what time it was or what the weather was

Food was fine, one very good dinner, one not so great

Great entertainment - wow!

See the aquashow! Hot bodies in speedos - Nuff said!

The Solarium is beautiful but I can't see sunning in there, it's covered by a glass roof and stuffy

Overall an amazing engineering marvel. We never felt we left the dock! Is the ship for everyone? No....would I like be on board with 5500 passengers..no, but it's amazing to see and a ship with lots of energy!

In MIA, waiting for my flight and just off a 2 night preview cruise on Oasis! Some thoughts:

Amazing Wow factor!

The cabins are fine, with the beds separated the closet becomes awkward and the cabin safe is tiny

the public spaces are lovely, but very limited connection with the sea as there are not many public rooms with windows - like Vegas where you never know what time it was or what the weather was

The Solarium is beautiful but I can't see sunning in there, it's covered by a glass roof and stuffy

Overall an amazing engineering marvel. We never felt we left the dock! Is the ship for everyone? No....would I like be on board with 5500 passengers..no, but it's amazing to see and a ship with lots of energy!

Thank you. How was the embarking and disembarking procedures? I realize there wouldn't have been huge numbers of people I suppose but I really want to know.

I'm one of those who has no real interest in saiing on the Oasis and some of what you are saying is confirming that for me. If I want to go to Vegas I will go to Vegas. I want the openness - windows - light which you appear to be saying is lacking.

One never can actually sun in the solarium so that isn't too new.

So what are you suppose to do for internet? Some people (such as myself) require it when away. Are the cabins set and then I suppose one must take one's own puter.

Amazing Wow factor!

Thanks for a quick peek at what you thougth about the Oasis.

The reason that I do not see myself sailing on the Oasis (I would love to tour the ship) is exactly what you have said here:

I look forward to hearing more about the ship as others come off of the first 2 night pre inaugural.

Rick

...the public spaces are lovely, but very limited connection with the sea as there are not many public rooms with windows...Is the ship for everyone? No....

This is something I've noticed for a couple of months, as they were releasing new pictures from time to time. Looking at a side-view of the outside of the ship, I can't see an obvious public area where there are a lot of windows for looking out into the sea. Nothing like a Radiance-class ship. Even Vision-class has some noticeable areas where there are a lot of windows for gazing outward. Of course Oasis' design is not meant to mimic any of the other classes, but that is one thing that I am hugely disappointed with - lack of huge floor-to-celing windows in public areas on numerous decks.

In looking at another picture, I would not book a balcony cabin with an inside view of the middle of the ship. If I'm going to be sitting out enjoying my balcony, the enjoyment does not include seeing people across the way and them being able to see me. I want the traditional view of the ocean which, of course, Oasis still offers. I guess the argument is that while you're at sea with no land around, what are you looking at besides water? The alternative interior balconies offer people-gazing, I suppose.

While I do one day want to try Oasis or Allure for the wow factor, I'm not overwhelmed with excitement right now to do so. I think Oasis and Allure have that "wow, I can't believe they can do that on a ship" feel, but I'm perfectly happy with their other ship classes - especially being able to see outward from the huge windows in public areas from inside the ship.

Thanks for the update. You're correct that this ship is not for everyone and of course RCI did not design for the "traditional" cruiser.

In ways it sounds very much like Voyager and Freedom class as far as the limited views of the sea from inside the ship. The solarium is basically like the Radiance class with the roof as sunlight was limited on the Jewel also.

I cannot believe that RCI did not put a dedicated Internet Cafe on this ship. A major mistake. I always use this.

What I am waiting to hear is how the port handles the first revenue cruise with many more guests on board trying to embark and debark.

Not having a dedicated computer room is unusual unless RCI did what the Carnival Dream did. They had 'fun hubs' several computers, some in groups of 10, or singles, spread around the ship where you could connect to the Internet, as well as peruse Carnival's non-internet site, and chat with other on the ship via a email-type account (free of charge). I thought it was a wonderful idea. I was in a big group of CC'ers and so we could 'chat' with one another regarding meeting times and places.

Certainly there must be internet somewhere on Oasis.....it's great revenue for the ship!!

I do not prefer the ships with the Royal Promenade because of the inward focus. When I'm on a ship, I want to feel connected to the ocean, not the nearest shop or bar. I just don't see me ever sailing on Oasis or Allure. Just not for me. For me, give me the smaller Radiance-class ships any day. Just riding on the elevator overlooking the water is stunning beyond words.

Karen

I also got off the 2 night pre-inaugural sailing this morning and agree with with the OP's comments. The ship is truly an engineering marvel and very beautiful. That said, it is not a "real" cruise experience. Yes, the ship does sail, but that's about it... unless you have an OV facing balcony there is little to no connection with the sea, and for me seeing the ocean is the whole allure (no pun intended) of cruising.

As for debarkation this morning, it was a breeze. Because we didn't stop outside the US, there was no Customs or Immigration... we simply left the ship at our own pace and walked through the terminal and out to the car. Everyone had carry on luggage as well... It will be interesting to hear how good/bad debarkation is when the ship does it's first revenue cruise on 12/1 and does a traditional debarkation.

I'll write a review and post my pics next week. Right now I'm sitting in a FLL hotel waiting to board the Enhantment tomorrow for a 5 night cruise and am just too tired from 2 days of no sleep to get started on this now.

I also got off the 2 night pre-inaugural sailing this morning and agree with with the OP's comments. The ship is truly an engineering marvel and very beautiful. That said, it is not a "real" cruise experience. Yes, the ship does sail, but that's about it... unless you have an OV facing balcony there is little to no connection with the sea, and for me seeing the ocean is the whole allure (no pun intended) of cruising.

As for debarkation this morning, it was a breeze. Because we didn't stop outside the US, there was no Customs or Immigration... we simply left the ship at our own pace and walked through the terminal and out to the car. Everyone had carry on luggage as well... It will be interesting to hear how good/bad debarkation is when the ship does it's first revenue cruise on 12/1 and does a traditional debarkation.

I'll write a review and post my pics next week. Right now I'm sitting in a FLL hotel waiting to board the Enhantment tomorrow for a 5 night cruise and am just too tired from 2 days of no sleep to get started on this now.

Thanks - I'll be looking forward to the review and pics!

Thanks for the mini review!

I am still trying to figure out how it is that they are charging MORE for the balconies over looking central park and facing other cabins than for an oceanview balcony. Makes no sense to me.

I am disappointed to hear about the lack of windows or sea views on the ship...especially the gym..that is alway a treat to be on a cycle while looking out over the sea. Does it have that much less view of the sea than the Explorer or Freedom class ships??

Archived