SOUTH AMERICA Last minute booking

downundermatt

Am planning a South American cruise early in 2010.

I am most flexible with the dates and itineraries and am prepared to book later rather than now, in the hope the prices will drop significantly.

As anyone had experience with this and suggest the best time to book.

Thanking You Matt

As others have said, it's not a good idea to book last minute for a South American cruise. You have visa and innoculation issues as well as trying to find decent airfare. If you try and book airfare later than 30 days out, you'll be paying hundreds more for that airfare. It's takes at least 45 days to get a Brazilian visa, and the shots that may be required must be done at least 6 weeks before departure.

As for prices dropping, that probably won't happen for SA cruises, as they are very popular and therefore prices don't tend to drop at all.

I recall seeing some excellent last minute deals on South America cruises last year. But as other note, I would check the itineraries to see which might require visas or vaccinations that would make last minute planning difficult. I would also start tracking airfares so that you have an idea what to expect.

I have sailed this itinerary multiple times. It is a wonderful cruise. I would not wait any longer to finalize your plans.

As others have said you will need a visa if you go to Brazil but a very popular itinerary that many folks take is s sailing between Buenos Aires and Valparaiso where no visa would be required and you would not need a Yellow Fever Shot.

With that said, air is at high demand this time of year so you really need to finalize the dates to start working the air.

I would also recommend starting in Buenos Aires if you can and arriving a few days early for a pre-cruise.

I think the ideal time frame to visit there is in the January/Feburary time frame.

Keith

Thanks all for the feedback, and keep it coming.

Was looking at avoiding Brazil due to the required visa and shots already.

My preference is to do a round trip from Argentina (to Antartica) or failing that sail from Chile to Argentina.

Am well aware of the risks with the airfare, but am truly hoping the cruise fares will drop considerably last minute (maybe I am very knaive !!)

Naive isn't what you are, but a little too hopeful. I don't know of any round trip Buenos Aires cruises on a mainstream line, but they do have quite a few 14 day Valparaiso to Buenos Aires. Like I said, these cruises have become very, very popular and waiting for a "huge" drop in price isn't going to happen.

My preference is to do a round trip from Argentina (to Antartica) or failing that sail from Chile to Argentina.

Am well aware of the risks with the airfare, but am truly hoping the cruise fares will drop considerably last minute (maybe I am very knaive !!)

You will find that the cruises run between Valparaiso and Buenos Aires.

Some will include sailing off of Antarctica for a few days.

At this stage, do not expect prices to fall. We are not talking about last minute Florida deals.

Many are quite popular and fill up quickly.

If you are serious about wanting to cruise this route in 2010I I suggest you see what is available and make a booking.

And be sure to look at the cost of air.

If you ask enough times someone might tell you that the prices will go down but most of us who have sailed this route one or more time know otherwise.

Keith

Maybe some one else has already mentioned this and I missed it, if so, sorry for the repeat....

We were booked on a February cruise from Buenos Aires to Valpariso/Santiago, but had to cancel....

However; something that was recommended to me, was to be particular about WHICH side of the ship you book your Oceanview or higher cabin. I was told it is much like an Alaskan Cruise in that you want your cabin FACING THE LAND that you are cruising past.

In other words if you are traveling FROM Buenos Aires TO Valpariso, the preferred side of the ship would be STARBOARD or RIGHT SIDE, so that you're facing the land areas that you cruise past.

If sailing FROM Valpariso TO Buenos Aires the preferred side of the ship would be the PORT or LEFT SIDE to be facing the land.

The other bit of info to keep in mind is that obviously, in South America the seasons are reversed from North America....

South America in January is analogous to North America in July....or March or April in South America is analogous to September or October in North America......

Getting closer to Antarctica rounding the horn of South America in March or April can be cooler than doing it in January or February. :eek:

I still hope to make the S. America cruise within a few years and I hope this info helps!

Sincerely,

ChubbyHubby

Naive isn't what you are, but a little too hopeful. I don't know of any round trip Buenos Aires cruises on a mainstream line, but they do have quite a few 14 day Valparaiso to Buenos Aires. Like I said, these cruises have become very, very popular and waiting for a "huge" drop in price isn't going to happen.

What kitty says is correct. Our Buenos Aires to Valparaiso cruise is almost fully booked and the price has gone up since we booked.

In addition, RCCL used to do cruises (on Radiance) that went from BA to Valparaiso and vice versa, but this season they have pulled out, so there is one less ship doing the itinerary than in previoous years.

Maybe some one else has already mentioned this and I missed it, if so, sorry for the repeat....

We were booked on a February cruise from Buenos Aires to Valpariso/Santiago, but had to cancel....

However; something that was recommended to me, was to be particular about WHICH side of the ship you book your Oceanview or higher cabin. I was told it is much like an Alaskan Cruise in that you want your cabin FACING THE LAND that you are cruising past.

In other words if you are traveling FROM Buenos Aires TO Valpariso, the preferred side of the ship would be STARBOARD or RIGHT SIDE, so that you're facing the land areas that you cruise past.

If sailing FROM Valpariso TO Buenos Aires the preferred side of the ship would be the PORT or LEFT SIDE to be facing the land.

The other bit of info to keep in mind is that obviously, in South America the seasons are reversed from North America....

South America in January is analogous to North America in July....or March or April in South America is analogous to September or October in North America......

Getting closer to Antarctica rounding the horn of South America in March or April can be cooler than doing it in January or February. :eek:

I still hope to make the S. America cruise within a few years and I hope this info helps!

Sincerely,

ChubbyHubby

To be honest, on my two SA cruises, we sailed so far from land that it didn't make a hill of beans difference where you booked your cabin. Cabin placement MIGHT be an issue for the Inside Passage to Alaska, but when you're just doing general cruising, you're pretty far out at sea so you don't see much land.

you really want to sail from Argentina to Chile then you avoid Chile reciprocity fee too. I booked my 2010 cruise about 3 months ago for Feb 2010. the price now is almost exactly twice what it was when I booked. I personally doubt you will see last minute pricing that approaches what I am paying for it and I got an airfare than was LESS than half what the cruise line wanted. Sometime last minute pricing is good sometime it sucks but its clear if this is something you really wanted to do, you should book early and not late IMO. You have to decide what it is worth it to you and if you think you will get the best fare by late booking-sometimes you do and sometimes you stay home.

NO visa for Chilie, when you fly into Chile you have to pay a fee

before you even get to the Immigration Officers which is paid in

cash only.

yes its called a reciprocity fee. Its what the US charges for people to get a visa to the US(hence a reciprocity fee). You don't need a visa but you have to pay the fee at the airport. However cruisers who come into Valparaiso and leave at the airport don't pay the fee(so I am told) so if you fly into Buenos Aires and take a ship to Valparaiso and then fly out of Chile you don't pay the fee. hence its less expensive reciprocity fee wise to fly into BA and out of Santiago no fee...the other way into Santiago and out of BA you do....simple as that.

yes its called a reciprocity fee. Its what the US charges for people to get a visa to the US(hence a reciprocity fee). You don't need a visa but you have to pay the fee at the airport. However cruisers who come into Valparaiso and leave at the airport don't pay the fee(so I am told) so if you fly into Buenos Aires and take a ship to Valparaiso and then fly out of Chile you don't pay the fee. hence its less expensive reciprocity fee wise to fly into BA and out of Santiago no fee...the other way into Santiago and out of BA you do....simple as that.

When you pay the fee at the airport in Chile, they staple the receipt to the last page of your passport. It is valid for the life or your passport, so if you ever fly into Chile again on the same passport you don't have to pay the reciprocity fee. It says:

"Valido Hasta La Expiracion Del Pasaporte"

When you pay the fee at the airport in Chile, they staple the receipt to the last page of your passport. It is valid for the life or your passport, so if you ever fly into Chile again on the same passport you don't have to pay the reciprocity fee.

Hi Paul

LOL fat chance I will be in Chile again-on this passport...I have other places to see....

Happy thanksgiving to you and your wife...

Sid

Ryan is coming over tomorrow for breakfast.

Hi Paul

LOL fat chance I will be in Chile again-on this passport...I have other places to see....

Happy thanksgiving to you and your wife...

Sid

Ryan is coming over tomorrow for breakfast.

Sid:

Thanks. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family...especially Ryan!

Paul

Am planning a South American cruise early in 2010.

I am most flexible with the dates and itineraries and am prepared to book later rather than now, in the hope the prices will drop significantly.

As anyone had experience with this and suggest the best time to book.

Thanking You Matt

We booked a Fort Lauderdale to Valparaiso repositioning cruise a few months ago. Two months later the fares halved for some cabins at the time the final payment was due. (ie about 70 days pre cruise).

Australians do not require any visas or innoculations for any of the ports ( ie mexico, costa rica, panama, equador, peru, or chile) unless you plan to return to OZ from Peru within 7 days of being there in which case you need yellow fever.

Archived