After 13 cruises on Carnival

AllenF

We just got back from our 1st cruise on HAL we had a deluxe wrap around suite 4180 on the Westerdam. We did the 7 day southern caribbean out of Ft. Lauderdale (Half Moon Caye, Aruba, Curucao). My last cruise on Carnival was the 7 day swine flu cruise with the CC group on the Splendor. Before that cruise we were already thinking of trying other cruise lines. There had been a few small issues already that wanted us to try other lines but nothing major, I guess the Splendor issues (the way they handled the whole thing) finally made it easier to try HAL.

Let me say I think Carnivals food and service are very good and I found HALS to be not much different or better. But what we really liked about HAL was the atmosphere compared to Carnival is was very quiet what I mean is on Carnival there is always a dull roar in the background definately at dinner. Also the ship was easier to look at while I never thought about how the carnival ships look I never had anything to compare it to until now. There were not a ton of annoucements and no cheesy same ole same ole pool games. We did not go to any shows on HAL and we stopped going to the ones on Carnival after the 2nd cruise. While there were not alot of kids on board HAL the ones there behaved alot better and since this was a 7 day there was a good cross selection of ages. Here is what we liked best about HAL over Carnival.

The Suite perks were better by far the neptune lounge was outstanding,

free laundry plus many others that I dont even get being platinum on Carnival. Getting on the ship was a breeze but the BEST thing by far was being able to eat dinner on our Balcony 5 out of 7 nights.

We also enjoyed the Thermal suites and Hydro pool very relaxing.

Now let me say if you want a more drink till you drop cruise HAL is not for you Carnival is the FUN Ships and I have had lots of fun on them for sure. Now there were plenty of people drinking on HAL also but is was just not as loud. Before I went on the cruise I had worked close to 50 days straight and really needed to relax and recharge I think I could have dont that on both lines but is was really easy to do on HAL. We enjoyed HAL so much that I cancelled my 50% off cruise Carnival finally broke down and gave us after the Swine flu Splendor will I cruise Carnival again maybe but I would be by myself cause my wife loved HAL. We are next sailing on Celebrity in April and I rebooked another aft suite on HAL in Nov. to do the Mexican Rivera that we missed because the Swine Flu which was not Carnivals fault but it was just the straw that finally broke the camels back and made us try other lines. Carnival introduced me to the wonderful world of cruising and I will always love them for that cause we had some great times for sure. But now i know there is more than just one flavor cause my taste have changed. I go on vacation to relax now and HAL gave me a little more of that and that is just me cause there are many who go for just the opposite and Carnival provides a great service and a great cruise also.

( ps I am a Nuclear eng. not a writer so sorry for the hard read)

298497.jpg

Edited by AllenF

What took you so long to try out other cruiselines. I booked Princess first, Carnival 2nd, so maybe thats why Iv never been loyal to Carnival.

Which ship on Celebrity are you trying?? I would love to try a CC balcony, on soltice. If you like the spa stuff, the next step up is a spa balcony where you get to eat in a special more healthy place for dinner and get the use of the spa. CC balconys get you flowers in the cabin, better balcony furniture, champagne and gifts, better room service breakfast menu with fresh squeeze OJ.

I have it on my list of things to try. I doubt I would fly to florida to do Carnival, even though Im on the list for CC magic, if it goes out of Florida I may remove my name.

Glad you enjoyed HAL. It does sound more quiet to me.

Thanks for the comparison.

I have only done Carnival as far as cruises go and one day I will try another line.

For now though the price keeps us with Carnival--within my budget I can do one all-inclusive resort based, one Florida vacation (DH's fav) and one cruise per year ---if I went with another line one of the other trips would likely need to be cut.

Curious question regarding your suite--whats was the price difference of your suite compared to a carnival "suite"

I find the suite benifits on princess to be a lot more then carnival offers--but there was also a price tag that went with those suites.

I'm glad you had a great time!!

Can you tell me if there was any age diversity on the ship?? I am always afraid to try HAL because I picture it to be geriatric!! :o (Funny thing is I am headed toward being geriatric myself, but I must be in denial!! LOL!!)

The people who sail HAL, love it but I am just afraid it will be too laid back for us. We're still at the stage where we need the noise and cheesy pool games I guess.

One day we'll get on a HAL ship though!! :)

Again, glad you had a great time, and REALLY glad you gave another line a try!! Variety is good!!

I would also like to thank you for your comparison. I have often wondered about the perks. Since I probably will never book a suite though I wonder if there are any reasons a balcony room on Hal might be nicer than on Carnival?

Since I don't drink I think I might enjoy a more laid-back cruise line. What would you say the median age of the passengers was on your cruise?

We have done 9 Carnival, 2 Princess, 1 HAL, 1 RCI, and 1 Celebrity cruises. We have enjoyed them all. Personally I do not find much difference between the cruise lines. We have 2 Carnival cruises booked, primarily on the basis of price and the large outside cabin I can get for an inside cabin price. I am paying $100 pp less for a Jan 2011 cruise than I paid in 2007 for a cruise which is amazing!

I have been on Princess, RCCL, and Celebrity. I will actually be Cruising on Carnival for the first time in February. Princess is my favorite so far. The reason I am going on the Dream is because it was $300-$400 less per cabin than Princess or RCCL. If it is close to matching Princess I will be back. The one thing I do not like about the other lines is the quiet. I am looking forward to a cruise where most people are not 60-80 years old.

Ok since this was a 7 day cruise the ages kind of broke down along these percentages 10% 1-20 25% 20-40 35% 40-60 30% 60 and over this was the week before Thanksgiving NoV. 15-22.

We paid 1399(the price dropped from 1849 and TA got the reduction) for a SC wrap and I have had 9A and 11A wraps on Carnival

so the price was pretty even. So watch for price drops

What took me so long gee that is a great question that all I can say is I have to much brand loyalty and we wanted to be platinum LOL. The Summit out of PR will be our 1st Celebrity cruise.

Another thing i did not mention was i had a bottle of crown deliverd to the room for 42.00 (cost 60.00 on carnival) you can also carry all the wine and a 12 pack or 2 of soda onboard with no issues.

Any room can have dinner or breakfest on the balcony and the Reg. balcony rooms did appear a tad larger than carnival.

HAL has many suites SY, SS which are not deluxe but very nice and big (398 sq ft)with large balconys i checked them out on the last day they have perks too. THe SA,SB and SC are the deluxe (510-700 sq ft) and the full perks. These are sq ft for the Westerdam size ships there are (4)

As far as old people onboard I have done a carnival cruise where there were 800 people from century city retirement home in FLA onboard LOL actually carnival has quite a few older folks who cruise them also it is just that all the kids that run around kind of blur them out :)

The main difference between the Kids on HAL and Carnival from what i saw is on HAL is 95% of the parents supervise them and do not let them run free. Compare to maybe on 50% on carnival

Edited by AllenF

We sailed the Veendam a few years ago. We really enjoyed it. There was a good mix of ages, the shows were good, and as Allen said the atmosphere was quieter. There was a disco and also ballroom type dancing.

We enjoyed it and will cruse HAL again....when we have a bit more disposable income! (when all the kids graduate from college)

This was deck 4 we wanted this cabin because the balcony was not covered in the back but is was covered on the port side. We got the same cabin for our Mexican Rivera cruise next Nov. 2010

Edited by AllenF

Ok since this was a 7 day cruise the ages kind of broke down along these percentages 10% 1-20 25% 20-40 35% 40-60 30% 60 and over this was the week before Thanksgiving NoV. 15-22.

We paid 1399(the price dropped from 1849 and TA got the reduction) for a SC wrap and I have had 9A and 11A wraps on Carnival

so the price was pretty even. So watch for price drops

What took me so long gee that is a great question that all I can say is I have to much brand loyalty and we wanted to be platinum LOL. The Summit out of PR will be our 1st Celebrity cruise.

Another thing i did not mention was i had a bottle of crown deliverd to the room for 42.00 (cost 60.00 on carnival) you can also carry all the wine and a 12 pack or 2 of soda onboard with no issues.

Any room can have dinner or breakfest on the balcony and the Reg. balcony rooms did appear a tad larger than carnival.

HAL has many suites SY, SS which are not deluxe but very nice and big (398 sq ft)with large balconys i checked them out on the last day they have perks too. THe SA,SB and SC are the deluxe (510-700 sq ft) and the full perks. These are sq ft for the Westerdam size ships there are (4)

As far as old people onboard I have done a carnival cruise where there were 800 people from century city retirement home in FLA onboard LOL actually carnival has quite a few older folks who cruise them also it is just that all the kids that run around kind of blur them out :)

The main difference between the Kids on HAL and Carnival from what i saw is on HAL is 95% of the parents supervise them and do not let them run free. Compare to maybe on 50% on carnival

Thank you...you're opening my mind a little to the possibilities of HAL. ;)

free laundry plus many others that I dont even get being platinum on Carnival.

I thought platinum members got free laundry service on Carnival...:confused:

Glad you enjiyed HAL. DW and I have been afraid that the average age would be to old for us on HAL. We have tried NCL and most recently RCCL and prefer Carnival so far. NCL has beautiful ships, but the service was lacking. RCCL had great service on the cruise we were on, but the cabin was a lot smaller. We also would like to try Princess one of these days.:)

Edited by Socref124

We just got back from our 1st cruise on HAL we had a deluxe wrap around suite 4180 on the Westerdam. We did the 7 day southern caribbean out of Ft. Lauderdale (Half Moon Caye, Aruba, Curucao). My last cruise on Carnival was the 7 day swine flu cruise with the CC group on the Splendor. Before that cruise we were already thinking of trying other cruise lines. There had been a few small issues already that wanted us to try other lines but nothing major, I guess the Splendor issues (the way they handled the whole thing) finally made it easier to try HAL.

Let me say I think Carnivals food and service are very good and I found HALS to be not much different or better. But what we really liked about HAL was the atmosphere compared to Carnival is was very quiet what I mean is on Carnival there is always a dull roar in the background definitely at dinner. Also the ship was easier to look at while I never thought about how the carnival ships look I never had anything to compare it to until now. There were not a ton of announcements and no cheesy same ole same ole pool games. We did not go to any shows on HAL and we stopped going to the ones on Carnival after the 2nd cruise. While there were not alot of kids on board HAL the ones there behaved alot better and since this was a 7 day there was a good cross selection of ages. Here is what we liked best about HAL over Carnival.

free laundry plus many others that I dont even get being platinum on Carnival. Getting on the ship was a breeze but the BEST thing by far was being able to eat dinner on our Balcony 5 out of 7 nights.

We also enjoyed the Thermal suites and Hydro pool very relaxing.

Now let me say if you want a more drink till you drop cruise HAL is not for you Carnival is the FUN Ships and I have had lots of fun on them for sure. Now there were plenty of people drinking on HAL also but is was just not as loud. Before I went on the cruise I had worked close to 50 days straight and really needed to relax and recharge I think I could have dont that on both lines but is was really easy to do on HAL. We enjoyed HAL so much that I cancelled my 50% off cruise Carnival finally broke down and gave us after the Swine flu Splendor will I cruise Carnival again maybe but I would be by myself cause my wife loved HAL. We are next sailing on Celebrity in April and I booked another aft suite on HAL in Nov. to do the Mexican Rivera that we missed because the Swine Flu which was not Carnivals fault but it was just the straw that finally broke the camels back and made us try other lines. Carnival introduced me to the wonderful world of cruising and I will always love them for that cause we had some great times for sure. But now i know there is more than just one flavor cause my taste have changed. I go on vacation to relax now and HAL gave me a little more of that and that is just me cause there are many who go for just the opposite and Carnival provides a great service and a great cruise also.

( ps I am a Nuclear eng. not a writer so sorry for the hard read)

298497.jpg

Why dont you design a nuclear ship for Carnival

I thought platinum members got free laundry service on Carnival...:confused:

That was just 1 perk for suites on HAL.

Here is what a regular room

From HALs web site

•Our signature Mariner’s Dream™ bed featuring plush Sealy Posturepedic® Euro-Top mattress and finely woven

cotton linens

•Luxurious bathrobes for use during your voyage

•100% Egyptian cotton towels

•Premium massage showerhead

•5x magnifying lighted make-up mirror and salon-quality hair dryer

•Fragrant soaps, lotions, shampoo and other bath amenities from Elemis Aromapure

•Complimentary fresh fruit on request

•Elegant ice bucket and serving tray for in-stateroom beverages

•Flat-panel TV and DVD player

•Ice service, shoeshine service and nightly turndown service

SY and SS suites

A variety of firm, medium and soft pillows

No-host mini-bar for easy entertaining

Personalized cruise stationery

Oversized bath towels

One-touch telephone concierge service

Fresh flowers

Complimentary DVD library

Deluxe Suite got all the above plus these:

•Complimentary laundry, pressing and dry cleaning throughout your cruise

•Premium duvet, oversize bath towels and soft, cotton bathrobes and slippers

•Gorgeous corsages and boutonnieres for the first formal night

•Hors d'oeuvres served before dinner each evening on request

•Binoculars and umbrellas for your use on the cruise

•Cocktail party with ship officers

•Priority boarding for tender ports of call

•Special disembarkation service

•Priority dining and seating requests

•Exclusive daily breakfast service for suite guests only

•High tea service in suite on request

•A special Suite guest lunch event on cruises over 7 days in length

•A very special amenity exclusively for guests cruising in a Deluxe Verandah Suite or Penthouse Verandah Suite, the industry-leading Neptune Lounge features a private place to relax, socialize with other suite guests and enjoy the personalized service of a concierge. The fleet-wide lounges provide worktables, large screen television, library, sofas and chairs, refreshments throughout the day and wi-fi for a small charge. One-Touch 24-hour Concierge Service is available when the Neptune Lounge is closed.

Edited by AllenF