Newbie ~ Tons of Questions!!

Hello everyone!

I haven't been on a cruise in about 25 yrs. So what I am finding out in my research has been really different from what I experienced 25 yrs ago.

I am planning on taking my family on the Navigator the beginning of Feb.

We will be going to Mexico. I have read on the Royal Caribbean site that you do not need a passport if you are leaving and coming back to an american port. My husband and I have passports but our children do not. So I am hopng that this is true and I can use their birth certificates. Has anyone had issues with this? Will my children be allowed to get off the ship in Mexico?

I called and spoke to a Customer Service Rep at Royal Caribbean about this cruise and what port we would like to depart from. He told me that there are shuttle busses that go around Florida and can take you to the port of your depature. Has anyone been on one of these busses? What was the charge per person?

My entire family is MAJOR Sushi foodies and we have chosen the Navigator because the CSR told me that if we were to leave from Port Canaveral then the Sushi on that ship is in a specialty restaurant and that it is not like the normal specialty restaurants and you pay per piece and per roll of the Sushi and that on the Navigator out of Miami the Sushi is part of the package. Can anyone clarify this for me so we know what to expect?

I plan on meeting with a TA to go over other items and questions but I find forums to be a tad less bias.

Thanks for any info you can give me!!!

Tracy

The "sushi" is cooked shrimp and some california rolls. Not very good on any RCI ship. Never heard of RCI charging for "sushi". There is an area of the Windjammer buffet called "Jade" which does serve some asian dishes. Your kids do not need passports and can definitely get off the ship in Mexico or any Caribbean port.

We will be going to Mexico. I have read on the Royal Caribbean site that you do not need a passport if you are leaving and coming back to an american port. Tracy

Sorry Tracey but this is not true. Starting last June 1st EVERYONE needs a passport for all cruises. If you leave the country you need your passport to re-enter. Birth certificates are no good anymore. Good luck.

Thanks for all of the info!! I am sure I will have more questions. Heck just from reading this forum, my head is spinning!!

The poster that wrote about the passports kinda scared me so I called Customer Service again and was told the same thing again. I also checked the government site and Royal Caribbeans site and both said the same thing.

Effective June 1, 2009 only a valid passport (unless otherwise noted below) or other WHTI compliant document will be accepted for entry or re-entry into the United States. For a list of all approved documents visit: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html#compliant_document

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate and laminated government issued picture ID, denoting photo, name and date of birth. A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original or a certified copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issues by DOS, or Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Has anyone had any problems just using a birth certificate for children?

Now that I can use this site a tad better I will go and do a search on this subject.

Thanks again everyone!!

If you haven't cruised in 25 years, you will notice a marked difference in the cuisine .... it's now food...not cuisine! Think Applebee's---not, Ruth Chris! TGIFriday....Outback...2 star stuff, at most!

Other than the food, the service should be just as good as it used to be! Enjoy!

You DO NOT need a passport for a closed loop cruise. My family and I (all 6 of us) did not need them as long as you depart and return to the same port. DO NOT listen to those who DO NOT know what they are talking about. It is. however, a good idea to have them in case you by some stroke of misfortune miss the ship, or have to fly back home for some other unforeseen reason such as health issues. Other than that don't worry about the passports. Enjoy!!

Thanks for all of the info!! I am sure I will have more questions. Heck just from reading this forum, my head is spinning!!

The poster that wrote about the passports kinda scared me so I called Customer Service again and was told the same thing again. I also checked the government site and Royal Caribbeans site and both said the same thing.

Effective June 1, 2009 only a valid passport (unless otherwise noted below) or other WHTI compliant document will be accepted for entry or re-entry into the United States. For a list of all approved documents visit: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html#compliant_document

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate and laminated government issued picture ID, denoting photo, name and date of birth. A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original or a certified copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issues by DOS, or Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Has anyone had any problems just using a birth certificate for children?

Now that I can use this site a tad better I will go and do a search on this subject.

Thanks again everyone!!

I believe your information here is correct. The one thing I always consider is worst case senario, which would be a medical issue or being stranded in a foreign port. I believe you have to have a passport for air travel back to the US

Boy do I feel better!! Thanks for the info!! The only person I am concerned about, health wise, is my husband with his asthma and he has a passport.

I have issues with my childrens father and there would be no way in hell that he would allow them to get a passport, just to spite me. So taking them on a cruise would be the only way I could show them other places then just the USA.

Now before I call that poor customer service rep again, can anyone tell me if this passport issue is just for children? My 19yr old doesn't have a passport either (but can get one) can she just use her birth certificate also??

From all this reading, MAN HAVE CRUISES CHANGED from the last time I was on one!!

I am getting more excited about this because of my kids going then when my husband and I spent 12 days in Jamaica this past Sept.

Look forward to a bunch more questions from me!!!

Thanks again!!

Tracey -

good for you for going straight to the government Web Site to get the straight scoop!!! (http://www.cbp.gov)

Passports are NOT required for closed loop cruises, Now; if I were you, I would take the passports for you and your husband. Then make sure you have certified copies of the BC for your children.

Also you and your husband should take your driver's licenses to take with you when you go ashore (some ports require photo ID for adults to get back on the pier)

(There is another group of folks here that always take their passport with

them on shore. There are tonnes of threads discussing THAT topic!)

Assuming you all have the same last name, that should do it.

That being said, I got passports for our children

Aloha,

john

The passport threads drive me the most crazy when someone (and in this case, MORE than one) INSISTS that you need a passport on these cruises. You...do...NOT. My friend and I JUST cruised to Belize and Mexico. She had a birth certificate and driver's license.

Make sure your kids' certificates are certified copies, the kind you get from the state dept. of health.

And do NOT be excited about the sushi in Jade if you're true sushi freaks (like me). All I've seen in Jade is California rolls and pieces of tuna, which were fine, but not great. Sort of like supermarket-sushi quality. When I asked if they had salmon, the guy made me a couple of pieces...but they were smoked salmon, not fresh. I eat enough smoked salmon for breakfast on cruises. I prefer fresh in my sushi.

And that was about it, except for veggie rolls. Booooo. :(

What last name are your children using, your husband's or their father's? I think if they are using their father's last name, you are going to need his permission to take them (those under 18) out of the country. This has been discussed on these boards before but I can't find the thread where I read it. If I remember correctly, the law says you will need a notarized letter from their father to take them out of the country. On the other hand, again if I remember correctly, RCI does not always ask for the letter. It sounds like you have problems with the Ex so I would look into this before you make too many plans. Someone here will correct me:) if I'm wrong.

You do need a notarized letter from the children's father authorizing you to take them out of the country if they're under 18. It's not a cruiseline regulation, it's immigration. Plus, if your ex finds out that they've been out of the country, there could be hell to pay with regards to custody.

Don't choose Navigator based on the sushi. I made that mistake. It's the worst sushi I've ever experienced. It's awful. Did I mention how bad it was? Blech.

The sushi onboard is what is offered every night on the dinner buffet ... nothing special. As other posters have noted, please make sure you have a) proper copies of your birth certificates (not a hospital or souvenir copy ... I have a mini laminated copy with a raised seal) and b) you probably need permission from the children's father to take them out of the country, even on a cruise.

Also, just to be clear ... if you do not have the proper BC or passport for somone in your party, the penalty is NOT having to stay on the ship in Mexico. The penalty is being denied boarding on embarkation day.

What last name are your children using, your husband's or their father's? I think if they are using their father's last name, you are going to need his permission to take them (those under 18) out of the country. This has been discussed on these boards before but I can't find the thread where I read it. If I remember correctly, the law says you will need a notarized letter from their father to take them out of the country. On the other hand, again if I remember correctly, RCI does not always ask for the letter. It sounds like you have problems with the Ex so I would look into this before you make too many plans. Someone here will correct me:) if I'm wrong.

I was going to reply and mention this issue, too.

The sushi is awful! What a disappointment. I even skipped a dinner in the MDR to try the so called sushi bar.

Book directly with RCL, you've talked to them already so should be familiar with that. If there is a price reduction or residency rate or even if you want a cabin change you can call them directly without a middle man who may or may not be available. If you use a TA you can no longer talk to RCL, not even to ask a passport question, they refer you to your TA.

1st, a passport is NOT necessary. I just cruised in Sept to the Bahamas. It is easier if you have one, but not necessary. Make sure the birth certificate is original or a certified copy with a raised seal.

Also, I am remarried and my children's last name is different from mine. Legally, You DO NOT need a letter from the other parent to take a vacation, but you should take documentation, that link's your last name to the children's if it is different. I brought ALL my paperwork...1st marriage cert, divorce decree, 2nd marriage certificate just to be on the safe side. We did not have a problem and they didn't question the name difference, but I wanted to be prepared.

Enjoy your cruise.

Hi, welcome to CC.

You mentioned one your children is 19, yes she can get one on her own since she is now a legal adult. You didn't mention the ages of the other children. I am under the impression you only need one parent approval if the child is 16 or 17.

No you don't need a passport on closed loop cruises. But it is advisable to have one.

As Ken mentioned, your greatest problem will be with the children. I had to provide my wife with a notarized permission letter before she could take our daughter on a Disney cruise without me. If both parents are present, a birth certificate should be no problem. If you don't have full custody, then the children's father will need to provide permission whether they have passports or not. Sounds like he may not want to do that, so you may have to either leave them at home, or petition the court for full custody or something.

I hope this doesn't ruin your trip...

As Ken mentioned, your greatest problem will be with the children. I had to provide my wife with a notarized permission letter before she could take our daughter on a Disney cruise without me. If both parents are present, a birth certificate should be no problem. If you don't have full custody, then the children's father will need to provide permission whether they have passports or not. Sounds like he may not want to do that, so you may have to either leave them at home, or petition the court for full custody or something.

I hope this doesn't ruin your trip...

You do not need permission unless there is something in your specific divorce papers that say so. I did not get "permission" from my ex. I took my children on a vacation. We have joint custody, I have residential custody. If, a grandparent or other friend/relative is taking the children, a letter is needed to give that person permission to make medical/emergency decisions. Like I stated earlier, I just cruised in September. No one questioned my authority over the children.

When my family went on a cruise last year, my brother needed to have a notorized letter from his ex for his daughter to travel. After looking into this for the OP, it looks like it is based on the counties your are going to, not necessarily the US. For example, the US State Dept. states the following for travel to Mexico:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_970.html#entry_requirements

"Minors: Mexican law requires that any non-Mexican citizen under the age of 18 departing Mexico must carry notarized written permission from any parent or guardian not traveling with the child to or from Mexico. This permission must include the name of the parent, the name of the child, the name of anyone traveling with the child, and the notarized signature(s) of the absent parent(s). The State Department recommends that the permission should include travel dates, destinations, airlines and a brief summary of the circumstances surrounding the travel. The child must be carrying the original letter – not a facsimile or scanned copy – as well as proof of the parent/child relationship (usually a birth certificate or court document) – and an original custody decree, if applicable. Travelers should contact the Mexican Embassy or the nearest Mexican consulate for current information."

I don't know if this is enforced for cruise ships and I don't think my brother ever showed anybody his letter, but something to think about.

Hi, welcome to CC.

You mentioned one your children is 19, yes she can get one on her own since she is now a legal adult. You didn't mention the ages of the other children. I am under the impression you only need one parent approval if the child is 16 or 17.

No you don't need a passport on closed loop cruises. But it is advisable to have one.

To the OP, if you kids are 16 and over you only need 1 parent to get a passport. Under 16 both parents need to be there. As far as a 19 year old, they are an adult and don't even need you to get a passport! If this truly is the case, get the passports. No they are not required but it is such a simple thing to do and makes everything easier in the long run.

Personally I would make sure I had whatever documentation needed before attempting to board. Getting denied boarding is not the way to start a cruise.

Archived