Laptop on a cruise, pros & cons

GGBOXERS

HI FOLKS...:)

We will be cruising in May and I am wondering if bringing along my laptop will be useful or a waste of time. I would like to be able to communicate with home while away. A few questions come to mind:

1. How are the internet connections on a cruise ship (we are sailing Carnival's Dream)?

2. Cost to connect. Is it worth it?

3. Security of laptop. I know it will not fit in the cabin safe.

We are driving and not flying so packing is not an issue. I would really appreciate any feedback on your experiences with taking a laptop on a cruise and would you consider it a stay home item or one that you would not leave behind while cruising.

THANKS and HAPPY SAILS TO YOU! :)

I have brought my laptop on almost all our cruises but I do not use it to connect to the Internet but to download the digital pictures we take. On sea days I can spend a little time arranging and editing them.

Generally I don't leave my laptop in plain view when we leave the cabin. I either put it in one of the drawers or in its case.

The biggest negative in my opinion is the extra weight but I have a rolling computer case that also has room for our cameras so it isn't too bad.

Generally the cost to connect to the internet is the same whether you use your own laptop or whether you use one of the ship's systems. I will usually check email once a cruise on longer cruises but many times I will use an internet cafe in a port rather than the ship's computer because of the cost difference.

If you take a lot of pictures you can free up your camera's memory cards to take more. If you just want to surf the internet you will find the speed agonizingly slow IMHO.

Have a great next cruise.

The main drawback to bringing a laptop is lugging the thing, especially if you are flying to/from the ship.

I use mine for connnecting to the internet. I compose most emails offline and connect to send. This reduces the intenet cost.

I also download pictures from my digital camera.

I bring my laptop for photos and Internet. I usually keep it in my bag or somewhere tucked away. As was mentioned, the best way to cut costs is to use an email client to download mail, disconnect, read and compose, then briefly connect again to end. This can really save you from paying for time you are not using actively browsing.

I use it to surf the web and download all my pictures and leave it right on the desk in plain sight with the picture slide show running 24/7. If anybody steals it, it would have to be my room steward. I don't want to type on those nasty, germ ridden keyboards in the internet cafe. Sometimes in port you can connect for free. Many connections are unsecured, maybe as a courtesy?

As others have mentioned a laptop is really useful for storing digital photos. For the really paranoid, like me, the laptop can then be used to burn cd/dvd backups of the pictures.

I take a security cable. If I'm going to leave the laptop on the desk I'll use the cable. Typically I just run the cable through the chair back - not great but there generally isn't any other option. (Aside, why don't cruise ships and hotels put a suitable ring in the wall or desk?)

I try to limit my internet / email use as it can get rather expensive. On one voyage it usually took at least 15 minutes just to connect to my email server. Unless you need daily contact it makes much more sense to drop by an internet cafe in each port - rates generally run $1 - 4 for 30 minutes as opposed to $0.35 - $0.55 per minute onboard.

If you have one of the smaller Netbooks, they are great and fit in the safe nicely.

Regarding Internet access or WiFi, do what we do - follow the crew into port! They have to pay for Internet access too, so many of them take their laptop and go into port. Sometimes you can get a WiFi signal right inside the terminal building, or just a little ways into port. When you see crew members sitting down and typing, there you go! :D

If you have one of the smaller Netbooks, they are great and fit in the safe nicely.

Regarding Internet access or WiFi, do what we do - follow the crew into port! They have to pay for Internet access too, so many of them take their laptop and go into port. Sometimes you can get a WiFi signal right inside the terminal building, or just a little ways into port. When you see crew members sitting down and typing, there you go! :D

No question, if you want anything in port including internet access, ask the crew.

I'm writing this at 35000 feet on a Delta flight into LAX. Using my netbook. We take it all the time on cruises and my wife sticks it in her handbag on her freqent flight to Europe. They're great and generally can be used anyplace in your cabin including the balcony. Taking it ashore is a great idea even if a net cafe has to be used, as they are much cheaper that the ships costs

I would really appreciate any feedback on your experiences with taking a laptop on a cruise and would you consider it a stay home item or one that you would not leave behind while cruising.

I have carried my **** laptop through so many check points, and lugged it with so many other bags, that I can't possibly imagine taking one on my vacation. So, obviously I would consider it a stay at home item. As far as photos, SD memory cards are so cheap and portable, I just bring several, and pop a new one in before the first one is full. True, I don't have back up for the first card, but I'll take the chance if it means I don't have to take my bloody laptop along.

Some months ago I treated myself to a netbook to use when traveling, and it's one of the nicest things I ever did for myself. At under 3 pounds and measuring roughly 10X6, it's so much more manageable than the added size and weight of a 15" or larger laptop.

It has plenty of power for what I take it to do - -check and reply to email, and download pictures from my digital camera. And the battery lasts for 3+ hours on a charge, so I can feel free to take it out on the balcony when I am on a cruise.

One way to save the internet minutes is to download incoming emails and get offline to read them. Compose responses and other emails using Word, then copy and paste them to your email format, and send them off. Log off as soon as you are done sending.

That's how I limit how much internet time I need to buy onboard.

I don't travel anywhere without a laptop. It's used for email, downloading photos, and posting trip reports (which are written offline and copy/pasted). I finally got smart this year and bought a small laptop just for travel - it's got a 11.2 inch screen (wasn't intereted in those 9 inch things) and it weighs 2.75 pounds with the battery. That's nothing!

I also let mine up on the desk and it stays there (ON) for the entire cruise. When I'm in hotels (like I am right now) I do the same thing - it's out in the open and left on the whole time. This small one would probably fit in the safe, but I don't want the hassle of locking it up...it's just not worth worrying about for me.

Sue/WDW1972

Ryndam 4/11/10

Eurodam 3/05/11

Only downside is cost. It's worth it for me to be reachable in emergencies at work, at home, kids summer camp (we can actually send e-mail letters that camp prints out), or even dog at kennel. For pleasure, I keep up with my favorite sports teams and local news.

Just got a netbook free for subscribing to Verizon Fios. It will be nice to have that instead of laptop.

Yes, a Netbook is a great little gem. I was in Fort Lauderdale airport waiting for my flight and typing away, and two guys were watching me and asked how I liked it, etc. It's great, but sometimes my fingers trip over the smaller keyboard. :o Other than that, I am in love. :) And it does fit in the safe. :)

HI FOLKS...:)

We will be cruising in May and I am wondering if bringing along my laptop will be useful or a waste of time. I would like to be able to communicate with home while away. A few questions come to mind:

1. How are the internet connections on a cruise ship (we are sailing Carnival's Dream)?

2. Cost to connect. Is it worth it?

3. Security of laptop. I know it will not fit in the cabin safe.

We are driving and not flying so packing is not an issue. I would really appreciate any feedback on your experiences with taking a laptop on a cruise and would you consider it a stay home item or one that you would not leave behind while cruising.

1) The Internet connection on a cruise ship will remind you of dial-up as far as speed goes.

2) The cost is about 50 cents per minute. You can get the cost down a bit by buying a package of minutes. Is it worth it? You will have to decide that yourself.

3) I have taken my laptop on my last twelve cruises and I still have it. No, it will not fit in the safe. However, you can bring a locking cable or you can lock it inside your luggage and put the luggage under the bed.

I just bought a Dell Netbook to take on our next cruises and it was only $279. I like it because it is much smaller making it easier to carry and store. I will only use it for photos and the internet.

But more importantly I can leave my large laptop home with all my personal information on it and not worry that if I have my traveling netbook stolen or if it gets lost, I will not lose all that information with it.

1) The Internet connection on a cruise ship will remind you of dial-up as far as speed goes.

2) The cost is about 50 cents per minute. You can get the cost down a bit by buying a package of minutes. Is it worth it? You will have to decide that yourself.

3) I have taken my laptop on my last twelve cruises and I still have it. No, it will not fit in the safe. However, you can bring a locking cable or you can lock it inside your luggage and put the luggage under the bed.

I found the internet can be decent speeds if you use it at like 3 AM when no one else is on but it is very costly. If you really wan't internet on your cruise wait till near the end because they will give you an extra free 10 minutes someitmes :)

I don't necessarily recommend keeping your laptop in plain view in your room ... I have faith that the room steward doesn't care, but I also know that they sometimes leave the cabin door propped open while they grab stuff from their cart, etc ... I try not to leave anything too enticing viewable from the hallway.

I don't necessarily recommend keeping your laptop in plain view in your room ... I have faith that the room steward doesn't care, but I also know that they sometimes leave the cabin door propped open while they grab stuff from their cart, etc ... I try not to leave anything too enticing viewable from the hallway.
You all worry too much. Your suits and evening gowns are worth more than a laptop, most cameras too. You can't put EVERYTHING in the safe.;)

What kind of cheap laptops are you buying? Mine cost $1,400.

Laptops are considerably cheaper than they were even a year ago. Netbooks are available from Verizon for almost free ($100 with promo and 2 year contract for aircard or phone internet service).

I just bought three new full size laptops for the office and paid about $600 or less for each-one Dell, one HP and one Toshiba. All have at least a 15" screen, at least 80GB hard drive, DVD/CD/CRW and full operating software. One has a separate flash drive. I was really amazed how cheap they were for full size, fully equipped laptops.

Archived