Wonderful Copenhagen

swdke

Sorry another question Steve

Can you help with the cost - there are obxiously 2 types of ticket 'Billet' and 'Klippekort' - what is the difference and which would we need? We may purchase a Copenhagen card but just trying to work out whether that will be the best value for money for us.

Thank you

Can you help with the cost - there are obxiously 2 types of ticket 'Billet' and 'Klippekort' - what is the difference and which would we need? We may purchase a Copenhagen card but just trying to work out whether that will be the best value for money for us.

Thank you

"Billet" is the word for "ticket", and "Klipperkort" is the word for "clipcard," or at least that's my translation. A Klippekort, or clipcard, is a card, size of a business card, which has 10 uses on it, and is generally cheaper than buying individual tickets if you use them all. More than one person can use a klipperkort. For example, if there are two of you, or more, then you just put your clipcard/klipperkort in the validation stamping maching, generally located on the train platform, once for each passenger. These klippekorts are also valid on buses too. If you are simply traveling within Copenhagen, then you just clip or stamp the card once for each passenger. However, if you are traveling further, say like to Hillerod, then you may or may not need to stamp the card more than once for each person. You'll have to ask for help on how many stamps you need to do per person. There are several values of klipperkorts, so if you buy a higher value clipcard for use when traveling to further destinations, then you would only clip once vs. a lower valued card. I hope I am making sence. The card I generally used was the yellow clipcard. Most likley, that's what you'll need, but ask at the ticket booth and they'll help you. Just tell them you want to travel to Hillerod and there are several of you, and ask which clipcard is best, and how many clips will you need on that card per person.

Hum, after all this, I suppose a simple return ticket might seem easier, but the clipcards are actually easiy and supposed to be cheaper. Let me know if you have any questions and eventually you'll understand.

Thank you

To add, the Copenhagen card is valid for travel all over the area you'll be visiting in Denmark, so that will save on which kind of ticket or clip card you'll need and how many stamps. Plus, the Copenhagen card offers discounts to attractions too. You have to travel a lot or vist many attractions to perhaps get the full benefit of the Copenhagen Card, but there's an obvious value with it's simplicity and ease of use.

Steve

Yes, it is the castle we're considering visiting on 6th August. Our ship sails at 4 pm so we don't have the full day( and may well have been late the night before at Tivoli) but I think it should still allow us enought time. Do you think there will be enough there of interest for a 10 and 14 year old? Our other option was the viking museum at Roskilde but we are planning to do the Vasa in Stockholm.

We are also in Copenhagen on the 5th so planning to do all the city things and Tivoli that day.

Thank you again for your help.

Anne

Anne, I came up with the same schedule you did with taking non S-train, and bus, to hillerod, taking about 1 hr 8 min. I am a bit surprised actually, but as you indicated, there must be some track work going on. Check again before you depart to Copenhagen and see if the schedule is the same. Otherwise, no big deal really except for the extra time traveling to/from Hillerod. On the positive side, it will be a bit more of a fun adventure taking the train and bus, as well as seeing more of the country by bus as you travel along the roads and homes, vs. the train which compared to a bus, does not offer as interesting sights. Allow yourself at leat 4 hrs. (2 hrs for getting there and back, and 2 hrs for the castle and grounds.)

In terms of interest to a 10 and 14 yr old, that's hard to say. I find it very interesting, but I can't say about a young person, but to only assume they would. It's a beautiful castle, on the edge of a lake, with a beautiful garden. Many things inside to castle to see and look at.

The Viking museum in Roskilde is also interesting. There are about 6-8 viking ships, but they are not complete ships. Also in Roskilde, there is a large church where the Kings and Queens of Denmark are burried. Both the Church and Viking museum are interesting, but I think Frederiksborg Castle in Hillerod is always my favorite.

Another option is to take the train to Helsingor. There's a castle there too, Kronborg. However, it's not as beautiful as Frederiksborg, and the inside of Kronborg, is somewhat empty. Still, it's interesting to see. Plus, there is the casemate under the castle which kids might find spooky in a fun way. Also, there's a church in the Castler, and a maritime museum that the kids may find interesting. Also, near the Helsingor train station, is a small alley, is a great ice cream shop. On the way back to Copenhagen from Helsingor, pending your time, you can get off at Klampenborg station and check out Deer Park. I think there are also carriage rides through the park, I don't know the cost. And, Bakken, a free entrance amusement park, the world's oldest, is located there too. Kids might find that fun too. Then return to the station and on back to Copenhagen. Train ride from Klampenborg station to Osterport is not that far, maybe 10-15 min.

The schedules have not been loaded into Rejseplanen yet. There will definitely be S-trains from Copenhagen to Hillerød in August. Try your itinerary with a random day in May (use the same day of the week than your travel day), and use this itinerary.

Steve - will do some internet searching with the children and see what the like the look of - Fredriksborg is certainly what appeals to me - looks beautiful from all the pictures! Thank you for all the time you have taken answering my questions

Chrismo - that had been my assumption so hopefully we will be OK in August. The s-tog is quicker than the route they are showing at present and as I'm a bit of a worrier and we have an early sailing I think it would just make the timing more comfortable. Thank you

By the way - re my previous question , I contacted Tivoli and if you leave and re-enter the park you do have to purchase another ticket. The multi ride tickets would still be valid but not the actual park entrance. Obviously if you have the Copenhagen card the park entrance is free so that would overcome the problem. Just have to decide whether buying the card makes financial sense or whether we are better just to pay things as we do them.

So much planning to do!!!

Do you know whether we buy return tickets or if you have to buy 2 singles? I assume the cost on the journey planner is each way.

Also,wondering if we have a Copenhagen card for our first day which is valid for 24 hours whether we would then be able to get the tickets to Hillerod using it aswell - assuming we purchase the ticket the day before at about 10 am and then use the train the next day at about 9am. Just trying to decide whether to but a 24 hour card or 72 hour or whether we should just pay for the tickets to Fredriksborg without a CHC

Sounds mean I know but every little helps especially when our exchange rate is so poor at the moment!

Thank you again

The 24 H Copenhagen Card is valid for 24 Hrs from the time it is stamped. So it can be used the next day as well. It should be stamped the hour following the time you get it stamped. I.e if you buy it or get it stamped at 9:15, it should be stamped 10, and is also valid from 9:15 to 10:00. It expires the next day at 10:00. With the CPH cards, children pay the children's card when aged 10 to 15, persons 16 years and over pay the adult card, 9 years and under are free. However, with regular train/bus/metro tickets, children pay the children's fare when aged 12 to 15 years. Children aged 11 years and under are free when accompanied. (there is a maximum of two free children under 12 per adult and 1 free child under 12 per child aged 12-15).

From Copenhagen (Østerport) Hillerød, it's 9 zones. I assume that you are two adults and two children (10 and 14 years). You have to pay for 2½ person (the 10-year old beeing free, the 14 year old paying half price). That's 2.5x9 zones = 23 zones each way. The cheapest option for the four of you is to buy a 2 zones clip card, which contains 2x10 zones=20 zones, stamp it 10 times and pay separately for the last 3 zones (one ordinary 3 zone ticket.). Price 130 kr+ 31,5 kr.= 161,5 kr. Or you could buy a 3 zones card (170 kr.) and stamp it 8 times. Almost same price, and you get one ride extra within central cph for all of you (the 6 unused zones). If you are travelling both ways with tickets/cards, you should use 46 zones totally (2x23 zones) You could buy a 2 and a 3 zones card (130 kr. +170 kr.). You stamp the 2 zone card 4 times and the 3 zone card 5 times each way.

I highly recommend the Copenhagen Card.

Card was 225 Krone for 24 hours - Tivoli is 85 (if you re-enter you must repay - but card gets you in for free.) A combo of the palaces - Ameliaborg and Rosenburg (Rosenburg was really nice - Ameliaborg OK) costs 90 krone. The Round Tower - 25 krone (it was worth it but is a pretty steep walk up the brick ramp). If you do only those things you've just about paid for the card and then all the transportation is free.

Plus if you want to do Fredricksburg then the castle and the ferry boat around the castle are free too. We thought about Fredricksburg for day 2 but ultimately decided against it. If I had to do it over - I would do Fredricksburg on day 1 - with Tivoli that evening - and then tour Copenhagen on day 2.

Bus goes to Langeline only until 7 p.m. - BUT there is another stop (about 2 blocks away) that runs until at least midnight! It was easy to use.

We also used the Metro which was quite easy too (although not very handy in downtown) and the harbour "bus" which is a boat. Both included in the Copenhagen card.

One tip - is that the bus drivers never checked the time on our Copenhagen card - so we were able to use it to come back to the ship the last trip even though the card had expired about 1 hour earlier. If he had - we would have just paid cash for the trip - bus driver took US money for the fee.

Have a great time - we did!!:p

• 2 weeks later...

Can you tell me the approximate cost of the train to Hillead as well as Malmo? does the Copenhagen card cover the train to Malmo? I am trying to decide if it is pays to get the card, go to Tivoli one evening, use the care to either Malmo or Hillead for a day, and then to Tivoli again the following evening as opposed to just buying train tickets. Thanks for you help. Vicky

THe CPH Card will cover transportation to hillerød but not malmø.

The ticket to Malmø cost 78 dkk and 156 dkk for a return ticket.

You can buy a Orange Øresund Ticket that cost 128 for a single ticket and 256 for a return ticket.

I found one of my old replys on Google.

The orange øresund ticket is only valid for the trip (from a to b) and not to travel around in the city.

"Sound tickets at a discount

DSB Orange Sound

A bid for large and small. Two adults traveling with discount

and children are free. DSB Orange Sound applied to 5 persons

including a maximum of two adults. The ticket is valid for Standard

and can be bought in ticket sales, and ticket machines at the

larger stations. The price of a DSB Orange Sound from

Copenhagen to Malmö is dkk 128

See more on dsb.dk/oeresund"

Can you tell me the age of the people that you are traveling with?

The reason i want to know this is because 2 children under 10 travels for free with one adult and childrens under 15 and people over 65 pays half price so it can make you trip cheaper if you know all the savings that the danish state rails (DSB) offers.

You can do 2 things

You can buy a 4 zone stamping card and stamp it 5 times each way, this card cost 220 dkk.

Or you can buy two 24 hours tickets one card cost 120 dkk so it will be 240 dkk for both of you but for 20 kroners more you will get unlimited travel in the greater copenhagen area in 24 hours.

Dear Danish Viking - given the transportation cost and admission (65 DKK) it seems that it makes sense to get the Copenhagen card for 24 hours , esp if we go to tivoli two nights in a row (ie start the card one evening and go again the following evening) - does this seem to make sense to you? My husband and I will be in Copenhagen for a little over 2 weeks with college students so our time is very flexible. Thanks so much for all your advice - very much appreciated.

vicky

Dear Danish Viking - thanks again for your response. One more question: can we take a train or bus from Hellerod (after we tour the castle) to Helsinger (and then to see Kronborg Castle)? Is all this doable in one day (we would like to get back to Copenhagen by dinner time and then go to Tivoli) if we leave early for Hellerod? I know that we can take the train form Helsinger back to Copenhagen. I thought if we do get the card, it might make sense to also go to Helsinger.

We are taking students from a small college in upstate NY where my husband is a professor, to study health care and also then attend an educators conference held there the last week in June. We have only been to Copenhagen one day last year while on a baltic cruise - we had a great day although it was cold and somewhat rainy, but managed to walk from the pier, to Tivoli (yes, we went in the rain, how can one go to Copenhagen and not go to Tivoli!), and taking in many of the sights, etc as we walked. We loved the city and are looking forward to having the opportunity to spend more time there.

vicky

Archived