Wonderful Copenhagen

swdke

@ cruisecountess

The Resistence museum and the little mermaid is almost at the same location so i will take to does places first, there is a free Admission to the museum.

http://www.nationalmuseet.dk/sw23424.asp

Then i will take a nice stroll along the harbour and watch the Opera house and the new The Royal Danish Playhouse and Amalienborg Castle from the outside.

http://www.kglteater.dk/site/OmTeateret/Scenerne.aspx

http://www.ses.dk/15b000c

Then i will go by Nyhavn and the kings new square (kongens nytorv)

and from there Rosenborg slot is almost visible.

http://www.rosenborgslot.dk/asp/menu/menuPages/frontpage_2.asp?countryID=2

From Rosenborg there is a 15-20 minutes walk to Strøget and from there you can do what you like and blame it on me. :-)

Thank you so very much for your wonderful help we all truly appreciate it. Would it be helpful to get the copenhagen card. Does that get us into to Tivoli and also the trains to the castles? Thanks again. La Fonda:)

Tivoli is not a part of the arrangement since this year, but it will cover transportation by bus, waterbus (not the canal tours), Metro, S-train, Øresund trains and all Regional trains in the greater Copenhagen area.

If you get to Nyhavn please make a visit to Bådteateret (The Boat Theatre).

They are serving Braunstein beer from my town Køge, and from the same brewery also some fine apple and Pear cider.

You might remember I asked questions earlier about transportation from Freehavn to Radisson SAS on Amager Blvd.

I checked the time-tables from Nordhavn St. to Kobenhavn H., after that connecting with busnr. 5. (That is the best connections by public transport?)

However I see the schedule tells me it is about 20 minutes walk from Polititorvet (?) to the Hotel.. Do you know if there is a busstop closer to the hotel? Or maybe another busline?

Polititorvet is in the same area as the central station and Tivoli so it is a long walk.

It was bus 5A from Vesterport Station (heading for Sundbyvesterplads) and off at Artillerivej.

I just found out this weekend that the metro station Islands Brygge is located just a block or so from the hotel.

You just switch trains (S-train to metro) at Nørreport station.

When you take the train from Nordhavn (no matter if it is for Nørreport, Vesterport or Central station) just take the trains heading for Køge, Hundige, Høje Tåstrup (both lines), Ballerup or Frederikssund.

Polititorvet is in the same area as the central station and Tivoli so it is a long walk.

It was bus 5A from Vesterport Station (heading for Sundbyvesterplads) and off at Artillerivej.

I just found out this weekend that the metro station Islands Brygge is located just a block or so from the hotel.

You just switch trains (S-train to metro) at Nørreport station.

When you take the train from Nordhavn (no matter if it is for Nørreport, Vesterport or Central station) just take the trains heading for Køge, Hundige, Høje Tåstrup (both lines), Ballerup or Frederikssund.

OK thanks for your help again. Do you agree that taking a train from Nordhaven is the best way from Freehaven to get to the hotel?

I think that station is closest to Freehavn or do we need to take a bus, since my husband cannot walk long.

The bus will only take you one or two stops closer to Nordhavn Station but else you can take the bus further on to Østerport.

Østerport is the next station after Nordhavn so it will bring you a little bit closer to Nørreport or Vesterport.

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/oversigtskort/Trafikkort/Documents/Hovedstadsomraadet/byens_net_stkbh_160308.pdf

route number 26 is on this map below, look after Færgehavn nord on the map.

The bus stop is around the corner that goes up on the map after the railroad and nordhavn station.

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/oversigtskort/Trafikkort/Documents/Hovedstadsomraadet/busser_i_city_160308.pdf

If anyone is in Copenhagen sunday the 6th of July i will just let you know that you can pay the sunday ticket to the last day of the Roskilde Festival.

The price is 750, Kroner but if you are over 60 years old the entrance is free.

Also be aware that trains to and from Roskilde and the city itself will be crowded because that over 100.00 people will attend the festival.

The schedule looks like this.

Lounge (Spoken Word at the start of the day)

10:00 Kim Grønborg

11:00 Lars Frost

11:30 Peter Laugesen

12:00 Kim Grønborg

13:00 Ian Ion

15:00 Tone

17:00 The state, The Market and the DJ.

18:00 DJ Disse

Pavilion

13:00 DSL

15:00 Path of no Return

17:00 Miss Platnum

19:00 Von Hertzen Brothers

21:00 Jay Reatard

Astoria

12:30 The Cambell Brothers

14:30 Supersilent

16:30 A Kid Hereafter & the slaves to the truth

18:30 Lulu Rouge

20:30 **** Buttons

Cosmopol

12:00 Loungeclash

14:00 Isam B

16:30 The black Seeds

18:30 Awadi

20:30 Culcha Candela

Odeon

12:00 Henrik Hall

14:00 Babylove & The Van Dangos

16:00 Anti-Flag

18:00 Cat Power

20:15 Bonnie "prince" Billy

Arena

14:00 At the gates

16:00 Enter Shikari

18:30 Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings

20:45 Hot Chip

00:00 Digitalism

02:00 Dan Deacon

Orange

15:00 Tina Dickow

17:00 Slayer

19:30 Bob Hund

21:30 Static & Noize

22:00 Jay-Z

We plan to go to the Louisiana Museum on the morning of Sunday, July 6.

Would we be on the same train as the one to Roskilde? Which train would we need? We are staying at the Hotel Richmond Norlandia, near Tivoli and the main train station. Do you think we need to head out extra early because of crowds in the station? Thank you.

We returned a few weeks ago and I have just had time to get back on the boards. Thanks for all the fantastic advice I received here on this thread. We used the trains with ease and had a fabulous time in Copenhagen. There is a great little cafe on the Stroget called Cafe Norden. We had a light dinner there the night we arrived and it was terrific. We had open faced sandwiches with scrambled eggs and smoked salmon. All the food around us looked great too. It was also more reasonable than some of the other restaurants. Copenhagen is very expensive so plan accordingly.

Pam

Both of the cruise ship piers are in the same general area, one is just a bit further north than the other. If you can find The Little Mermaid on a map, north of that is Langelinie. About a mile north of Langelinie is Freeport or Frihavn. These locations are usually not on the regular tourist maps because they are a little bit beyond the touristy areas. So, if you find a hotel near The Little Mermiad, you will be in the right spot. Which pier your ship docks at depends on which cruise line you are on. Princess docks at Freeport and I THINK NCL docks at Langelinie. Not sure about others.

The trains and busses will go from the airport to this area, but if you are really concerned about door to door travel, your best bet is a taxi.

• 10 months later...

AK Bound: I've noticed a lot of people on these boards have used Priceline and they've been getting Marriott for $99 - $125 and have been quite pleased with their accomodations (& I think it includes breakfast). I would imagine you will be looking for 2 rooms? We like to stay at The Copenhagen Admiral...its in between the Royal residence and Nyhaven and on the water, across from the new opera house. We love it and plan on returning next summer. You get a better price if you book directly with the hotel or through the Danish tourism site ( www.visitcopenhagen.dk ) but its still about $275-325/noc. But, if you want to stay @ Marriott (& I understand its a very nice hotel), then you should give Priceline a try! Have a wonderful trip. Denmark is one of our most favorite places on this planet to visit!:)

Does anyone have any hotel suggestions for Copenhagen?

We will be traveling with our 2 kids (9 and 13).

I checked the Marriott and I received a rate of $479.

I just recently booked the Marriott through priceline for our dates early September and paid $112.US per night plus tax.

Does anyone have any hotel suggestions for Copenhagen?

We will be traveling with our 2 kids (9 and 13).

I checked the Marriott and I received a rate of $479.

You should at least give Priceline a try. No guarantee rooms will be available for your dates of travel, but if successful, you can save a lot of money. People see to have been successful from around $90-$110.

Thank-you for all the wonderful suggestions on this thread! Your advice Steve and Danish Viking has been invaluable in planning for our visit

I have a couple of questions that you may be able to help with:

1. Ideally, we would like to visit the Tivoli at about 3 in the afternoon when most of the rides start but would then like to leave and return to our ship for a little bit of a rest and something to eat but return to Tivoli for the evening - see the lights , do some more rides etc. My understanding from the Tivoli website is that if you leave the park you have to purchase a new ticket if you wish to re-enter. Is there no way we can leave and then return? I know in the UK often parks etc will stamp your hand or similar to allow you to do this. We will be there beginning of August and are planning to buy the multi ride tickets for the children aswell as the entrance ticket.

2. Having looked at the public transport route planner there does not appear to be buses that return from Tivoli to Langeline later in the evening - is this correct? Other posts have suggested that the trains run right into the early morning. If not I guess that means we need to take a taxi - do you have any idea how much that is likely to cost?

3. Ours ship sails from Copenhagen at 4pm the following day are we are considering a trip out to Fredriksborg castle. Although we are unlikely to have an early start, if we are late at Tivoli the night before, I think from previous information this is possible. However, I have put Osterport and Hillerod in the travel planner and the journey time is coming up as 1 hour 8 mins - longer than previous information on this thread. I think I must have chosen the wrong drop down options. Are you able to tell me exactly which option I should choose for each of these places to ensure I get the correct locations.

Thank you for any advice and help!!

Thank-you for all the wonderful suggestions on this thread! Your advice Steve and Danish Viking has been invaluable in planning for our visit

I have a couple of questions that you may be able to help with:

1. Ideally, we would like to visit the Tivoli at about 3 in the afternoon when most of the rides start but would then like to leave and return to our ship for a little bit of a rest and something to eat but return to Tivoli for the evening - see the lights , do some more rides etc. My understanding from the Tivoli website is that if you leave the park you have to purchase a new ticket if you wish to re-enter. Is there no way we can leave and then return? I know in the UK often parks etc will stamp your hand or similar to allow you to do this. We will be there beginning of August and are planning to buy the multi ride tickets for the children aswell as the entrance ticket.

2. Having looked at the public transport route planner there does not appear to be buses that return from Tivoli to Langeline later in the evening - is this correct? Other posts have suggested that the trains run right into the early morning. If not I guess that means we need to take a taxi - do you have any idea how much that is likely to cost?

3. Ours ship sails from Copenhagen at 4pm the following day are we are considering a trip out to Fredriksborg castle. Although we are unlikely to have an early start, if we are late at Tivoli the night before, I think from previous information this is possible. However, I have put Osterport and Hillerod in the travel planner and the journey time is coming up as 1 hour 8 mins - longer than previous information on this thread. I think I must have chosen the wrong drop down options. Are you able to tell me exactly which option I should choose for each of these places to ensure I get the correct locations.

Thank you for any advice and help!!

Here's the travel planner link I just used and it gives a one way trip time of 34 min. from Osterport Station to Hillerod Station. http://www.rejseplanen.dk/bin/query.exe/en use Østerport st to Hillerød st You'll be taking the S-train, "E". Try again and see what you come up with.

With regards to exiting and reentering Tivoli, hopefully someone else can give you better information as I do not know. I would be surprised if you could not reenter, but good thing you're trying to find out just in case. Here's an email address for you to contac them and ask. info@tivoli.dk Hope this helps.

As for getting to/from Tivoli from your ship, there are always taxi. I do not know the cost of fare, but taxi take credit cards which is very convenient, and the ride should only be about 10 min. Therefore, hopefully fare will not be too high and worth the convenience.

They stamped hands for re entry last summer. Taxis were quick and relatively inexpensive given the time saving. Our ship was quite a distance from the public transport. There's lots of places to eat at the Tivoli. It seemed to be as much about eating as about rides.

Here's the travel planner link I just used and it gives a one way trip time of 34 min. from Osterport Station to Hillerod Station. www.rejseplanen.dk/bin/query.exe/en use Østerport st to Hillerød st You'll be taking the S-train, "E". Try again and see what you come up with.

swdke - thank you for your help. I was putting in the date we were going to be there in August and it was not giving the s - tog journey just a journey that involved changing to a bus mid way. I assume that is only a technical thing and the s-tog will be running in August?

scottish maid - thank you for that info - I assume you can also then use the multi ride tickets when you re-enter. We may well end up eating in Tivoli but with 2 children I think it could end up pretty expensive so just wanting to know what our options are. I will e-mail them as well to check what may be happening this Summer.

Thank you both again!

Here's the travel planner link I just used and it gives a one way trip time of 34 min. from Osterport Station to Hillerod Station. www.rejseplanen.dk/bin/query.exe/en use Østerport st to Hillerød st You'll be taking the S-train, "E". Try again and see what you come up with.

swdke - thank you for your help. I was putting in the date we were going to be there in August and it was not giving the s - tog journey just a journey that involved changing to a bus mid way. I assume that is only a technical thing and the s-tog will be running in August?

What date do you plan to go to Hillerod and I assume Frederiksborg castle?

Steve

Yes, it is the castle we're considering visiting on 6th August. Our ship sails at 4 pm so we don't have the full day( and may well have been late the night before at Tivoli) but I think it should still allow us enought time. Do you think there will be enough there of interest for a 10 and 14 year old? Our other option was the viking museum at Roskilde but we are planning to do the Vasa in Stockholm.

We are also in Copenhagen on the 5th so planning to do all the city things and Tivoli that day.

Thank you again for your help.

Anne

Archived