Vegan Food?

Yes We Can

Yes, indeed...

From the Carnival FAQs:

Dietary Needs

Special dietary menus for vegetarian, low-cholesterol, low-fat, low-carbohydrates, low-sugar, gluten-free, Indian vegetarian and Kosher meals are available upon request. Simply inform us of your preference at the time of making your reservation. If you have food allergies, please meet with your dining staff once onboard to discuss your meal options.

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/cruise_control/EMB_guest_specials_requirements.aspx?icid=CC_Footer_87

:)

You can order either vegetarian or regular Indian food. I ordered the meat, but they also offer vegetarian. You need to order it 24 hours ahead of time. Its quite good.

They always have a vegetarian choice on the menu as well for a entree.

The Indian food isnt on the menu but the cooks are mostly Indian on the ships and Im told thats why its available, because they make it for themselves.

There's always a Vegetarian dish but I haven't seen anything labeled Vegan. Maybe you can contact them ahead of time and see if they also provide Vegan dishes as well.

Here's someone who posted their menus: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=340472 you can get an idea of what each nights menu for dinner may look like.

Yes, indeed...

From the Carnival FAQs:

Dietary Needs

Special dietary menus for vegetarian, low-cholesterol, low-fat, low-carbohydrates, low-sugar, gluten-free, Indian vegetarian and Kosher meals are available upon request.

Vegan isn't the same as Vegetarian. Vegans do not eat milk, eggs, etc which is in a lot of vegetarian dishes.

Vegan isn't the same as Vegetarian. Vegans do not eat milk, eggs, etc which is in a lot of vegetarian dishes.

True, but the point of the post was that Carnival will accommodate a wide variety of dining needs.

All the OP need do is to let Carnival know when booking and the issue will be addressed...

True, but the point of the post was that Carnival will accommodate a wide variety of dining needs.

All the OP need do is to let Carnival know when booking and the issue will be addressed...

That's not the way I read CCL's statement. To my mind, they list the special diets they are willing to accommodate and Vegan (which is a bit harder to do) isn't listed.

My step sister is a vegan and has sailed with Carnival and they told her they could not accomodate a true Vegan diet, but did give her a list of menu items that were prepared without the use of any animal components.

It was pretty sparse and was mostly just steamed veggies, fruit and rice.

Depends on if you are in the "what I don't know won't hurt me" group. If you are, then obviously you can make an educated guess as to what would have more than just trace amounts of animal product.

I would see if they can at least supply ingredient lists even if they tell you they can't guarantee there hasn't being animal product cross-contamination (as in using the same prep space, fryer, oil, utensils, etc.)

I would plan to at least bring some protein bars or something, just in case you need food on the fly.

Depends on if you are in the "what I don't know won't hurt me" group. If you are, then obviously you can make an educated guess as to what would have more than just trace amounts of animal product.

I've never known a vegan to be in the "what I don't know won't hurt me" group, or to be ok with "just trace amounts..." Being vegan is quite a commitment and not taken lightly.:eek:

I've never known a vegan to be in the "what I don't know won't hurt me" group, or to be ok with "just trace amounts..." Being vegan is quite a commitment and not taken lightly.:eek:

I have, but it mostly depended on the situation. Like if there wasn't a lot to eat and they were hungry, they simply didn't think about it. Whether or not it's a commitment to be taken lightly, I was always under the impression, was up to the individual vegan.

The anytime menu has baked potatoes, white rice and steamed veggies on it, so that will do in a pinch if nothing on the daily menu will do. There is usually a fruit plate, as well as salads with no animal products. The buffet is harder, if you are concerned about cross-contamination. While there will certainly be items without any animal ingredients, you won't know if they were cooked or served with something that touched meat and/or dairy.

My step sister is very strict. She won't even eat baked goods that require eggs or use Worchestershire that has anchovies in it. She won't wear leather and won't ride in my step mothers car because it has leather seats.

She lives out in the country and traps and releases any dangerous pests that happen to get into her home. She won't swat at a mosquito that's biting her or even wear repellant.

Is there anything more to a vegan diet than that?

She has a very complete and healthy diet and cooks with a lot of soy products and legumes. There is a huge industry catering to vegans. Almost anything you can name they can make out of soy and make taste just like the animal protein that it's replacing.

I am a vegan who don't eat animals products.

Do they have vegan food on the ship for people who do not eat animal products?:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Yes We Can

There's a number of threads for crusing vegans on the Crusie Foodies board.

A lot pertains to other cruise lines but some very useful tips. Search Vegan.

Specific to Carnival try this one:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1034697&highlight=vegan

I am a vegan who don't eat animals products.

Do they have vegan food on the ship for people who do not eat animal products?

I'm glad I was here today, so that I could give you the real story...

They do a great and varied menu in the dining room!

These are all 100% Vegan dishes that I've had in the main dining rooms on Carnival cruises. I've tried to label what I remember, there are more, but it was too much to all fit in one picture.

34e13403594cd2d71ca8acaff338a5c7.jpg

http://www.froggypic.com/image/05/34e13403594cd2d71ca8acaff338a5c7.jpg

They do Vegan well on Carnival!

Also, one thing to mention...

Just make sure your TA or PVP puts it in your dining room request/reservation notes at least 2 weeks before the cruise.

Make sure that you bring some kind of Vegan protein (bars, snacks, whatever) just for extra protein backup (makes it all easier at buffets and the rest of the vacation in ports).

Talk to the Maitre'D the first afternoon or night you are there.

Don't expect full Vegan menu ready on the first night, but ask them to bring it out so you can start picking and choosing for the next days and nights on the rest of the cruise!

These are all items from the main Vegan Menu that they have in the back, so be sure to ask for it!

Enjoy and let me know if you have any more questions!:D

Here's the original thread, with vegetarian options as well:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=986428

The tomato soup is tomato cream soup isn't it?

No. That Tomato Soup is 100% Vegan Tomato Soup.

It's not the regular menu tomato soup (which sometimes also has chicken broth, so it's not even vegetarian).

I think a cruise is not the right vacation for someone that's so serious about being vegan.

Why? As you can see from above, they do a great job and have a very varied menu. There are also good vegan things to eat at the buffet, the sushi bar, the pizza place, the grill, etc.

They actually do a better job of vegan food than a lot of land based restaurants...

It's easy and tasty to be a vegan on Carnival.:cool:

Archived