Could this be the difference between HAL and Carnival?

gregdude

So, it's snowing here in NJ and I am bored. What better way to spend your time during a snot storm than to read other CC blogs. Just for fun I started looking at the Carnival blog and came upon this very interesting thread. I was immediately struck by the fact that this may be the big difference between HAL and Carnival. I have read just about every thread on the HAL blog for several months and nothing has ever come close to this! So, my question is, am I correct or am I just in another world?? Would any of you HAL cruisers out there even think of doing things mentioned in this thread?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1106382:eek:

Guest LoveMyBoxer

I don't think it's the difference between HAL and Carnival, I think it's the differencd between the type of people. I'm sure there have been people, maybe not on CC, that have done this on ANY cruise line. To classify a cruise line just by some people who post on CC is just not right.

Really ? :eek:

You're going to judge an entire demographic based upon one thread in an internet forum? You've never met these people. You've never sat down and spoken with them.

Am I now to judge all of HAL's customer base based on your thread? I hope not. I haven't yet cruised on HAL but my inlaws have. They're not too bad of people but maybe I was mistaken.

So, it's snowing here in NJ and I am bored. What better way to spend your time during a snot storm than to read other CC blogs. Just for fun I started looking at the Carnival blog and came upon this very interesting thread. I was immediately struck by the fact that this may be the big difference between HAL and Carnival. I have read just about every thread on the HAL blog for several months and nothing has ever come close to this! So, my question is, am I correct or am I just in another world?? Would any of you HAL cruisers out there even think of doing things mentioned in this thread?

I don't even drink alcohol but I sure learned a lot about how to smuggle it onboard and I learned this from people who were on the Westerdam a couple weeks ago.

Things I never would have thought of doing like taking your water bottle off the ship, buying liquor in town, dumping the water out of the water bottle and replacing it with the liquor bought in town.

Personally, I think it's a tacky peasant type of thing to do. Doesn't the plastic ruin the liquor or something as well?:eek:

To each his own I guess.

OMG - I thought you guys were only getting snow !! :eek::D

Maybe since HAL seems to attract a older crowd, maybe HAL cruisers have already "Been there, done that".

This is my favorite smuggling thread--

These guys seem to be true professionals:p

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=963569&highlight=smuggling

Thanks for this, and my giggle of the day. Loved the pix and posts from SteveNCindy, St. Thomas ON, that they got carried away and Total Wine is:

"kinda like the Bass Pro Shops of Booze for Canadians."

:D:D So true!

I went and read some(not all) of that thread and was LMAO!

I think the main reason you don't see that on HAL is the fact that you can bring on all the wine and champagne you want. If you want anything harder, it's not that big of a deal to just order from the bar.

I've read a few of these smuggling threads, and they never fail to make me :o:p:eek::D:rolleyes:

If I wanted to hang out with the Carnival crowd, I would just go down to Walmart...

WOW Huddler... that was very unkind to people who shop at Walmart... I've been in there many times... and although there is a small percentage of the population there who make it feel undesirable, it is generally the majority of the area who are shopping there.

Ok, it's now Sunday morning and the "snot storm" I mean snow storm is over. Time to get serious and stop priming the comment pump. The big dig starts in a few minutes followed by the big nap. By the way does anyone know where to buy one of those "Rum Runner" things?

Happy Sunday and a very Merry Christmas!

From Snowville USA

WOW Huddler... that was very unkind to people who shop at Walmart... I've been in there many times... and although there is a small percentage of the population there who make it feel undesirable, it is generally the majority of the area who are shopping there.

Maybe where you shop, but you should see the toy dept. about this time of year in ours!:eek:

Rum Runners has a good business going, I'm sure it's profitable enough that the owners cruise in suites and have the butler make their drinks.:D

We went on a land vacation with some friends and every night had drinks in one room or the other before going to dinner. I used flasks from the local liquor store and they just took a bottle. No problems even though the suitcases were packed almost every day and rode on buses big and small, boats, and planes as well as being dragged through a gravel parking lot.

Maybe where you shop, but you should see the toy dept. about this time of year in ours!:eek:

It's that "small percentage" who can make a mess very quickly, ruin it for everyone else, walk away from the mess and think nothing of it. :rolleyes::rolleyes: That can happen anywhere.

My physician and pharmacist shop there, as do teachers, accountants, the whole gamut.

when I complained as to the lack of books in a Carnival ship library I was attacked as to why you need to read on a cruise. We also noticed that the people dressed poorly for the dining room and many seemed to hang out in the buffet every time we passed thru going to the pool or elsewhere. A previous cruise on Carnival, we saw drunk kids on board as we went on.

I would rather pay more and spend my time with people who are able to understand that cruising is not about gorging yourself with what they call free food.

The only positive was the supper club that was so much better than the Pinnacle and we ate there almost every night we could as the extra cost was well worth it to avoid the slobs.

I guess that's why Carnival Corp has different lines to choose from.

I have to say that there are definitely different types of posts that occur on the HAL forum as opposed to others. After sailing on NCL and also researching for our upcoming cruise the questions and complaints on other lines forums were amazing to me.

I know that all lines attract all people but I get what the OP was saying. You just don't see tons of postings on here about smuggling on things and someone boasting about how large their drink bill was at the end of the their cruise.

Y'know, HAL passengers also cruise on Carnival. Yes, even true blue(hull) ones like me.

Jan 1 2011 I'll be on Carnival Liberty for a wedding. Will it be different from HAL? Yes. Will I have fun anyway? Yes.

Will I stereotype and make fun of Carnival cruisers? No, because I read WAAAY to many "Will it be all old people on HAL?" posts from newbies here.

Sorry to be a wet blanket. Now, go ahead, carry on and enjoy yourselves...:)

I don't think that Carnival ships should even be allowed in to port at the same time as a HAL ship. There is no doubt in my mind that HAL cruisers are better people in all respects-including several steps up on the social scale and on Darwin's scale.

Archived