Could this be the difference between HAL and Carnival?

gregdude

i don't think that carnival ships should even be allowed in to port at the same time as a hal ship. There is no doubt in my mind that hal cruisers are better people in all respects-including several steps up on the social scale and on darwin's scale.

wow!!!!!

In case you do not know, my comments were somewhat sarcastic and based upon some of the posts that I read extolling the implied superiority of HAL customers. Our last cruise was on Carnival. It was a great cruse and we had some wonderful tablemates. Surprisingly enough, we did not encounter any drunks, saw lots of people reading by the pool, and did not notice anyone permanently parked at the buffet. Those folks must have been in hiding.

Y'know, HAL passengers also cruise on Carnival. Yes, even true blue(hull) ones like me.

Jan 1 2011 I'll be on Carnival Liberty for a wedding. Will it be different from HAL? Yes. Will I have fun anyway? Yes.

Will I stereotype and make fun of Carnival cruisers? No, because I read WAAAY to many "Will it be all old people on HAL?" posts from newbies here.

Sorry to be a wet blanket. Now, go ahead, carry on and enjoy yourselves...:)

My next cruises in April are the Baja and Panama Canal with Carnival and then the Prinsendam on Hal in July. Carnival definitely are Fun Ships.

In case you do not know, my comments were somewhat sarcastic and based upon some of the posts that I read extolling the implied superiority of HAL customers. Our last cruise was on Carnival. It was a great cruse and we had some wonderful tablemates. Surprisingly enough, we did not encounter any drunks, saw lots of people reading by the pool, and did not notice anyone permanently parked at the buffet. Those folks must have been in hiding.

I must be doing something wrong

I went on an RCCL cruise and a Carnival cruise long before I discovered Cruise Critic and read about the dangers that could befall me on them. I had a great time on both. Met some really great people on both , great food ,great service. Never saw the Sodom and Gammorah like behavior so many post about.

You think I would learn my lesson ? NAH

Even after being forewarned. I go and take 2 more Carnival and 2 more RCCL cruises. Again great time, people, food etc.

I guess i am just asking for trouble.

I don't like to admit this publicly, but I aslo had a very good NCL Sun cruise and it was not at all what one would have thought after reading the HAL boards. We keep this dark secret in the closet. Next one is a Celebrity cruise....you know on the line where the food is awful and or over rated, the passengers snobbish, and the sevice is something to be desired. I am certain this Equinox sailing will be empty because of this.

I come from a background of what would be called "the working poor".

Most of my relatives shop at Walmart; it is what they can afford to do. Which is worse: being poor or being a snob?

Yes. amongst the working poor there are boors. As I can see from this thread, there are boors among the CC HAL board members.

Generally, I've found, living in both worlds, that there are enjoyable people in both. I try to spend my time with them, and avoid the others.

You know what's funny? That's probably what some passengers on Crystal, Seabourn, etc., think of people such as yourself who sail on HAL.

My line of choice is Crystal (4 cruises, so far) although I have been on HAL twice AND I shop at Walmart at least twice most weeks.:eek::D:eek::D

I come from a background of what would be called "the working poor".

Most of my relatives shop at Walmart; it is what they can afford to do. Which is worse: being poor or being a snob?

Yes. amongst the working poor there are boors. As I can see from this thread, there are boors among the CC HAL board members.

Generally, I've found, living in both worlds, that there are enjoyable people in both. I try to spend my time with them, and avoid the others.

There has been thread after thread here where someone has made reference to Walmart as if was was some horrible thing.

It's a freakin retail store!!!!!! And a pretty darn successful one too.

Yes they sell some cheesy ugly crap I wouldn't wear or have in my home , but I have seen some cheesy ugly crap in fancy stores on 5th Avenue I wouldn't wear or have in my home.

They also sell products that everyone needs and uses ...even HAL pax.....Even Cunard pax Things like soap and laundry detergent , and deodorant and toilet paper . And they sell them at a good price.

At least I hope everyone uses these products , otherwise all the fancy formal wear everyone packs is just a facade :)

You know what's funny? That's probably what some passengers on Crystal, Seabourn, etc., think of people such as yourself who sail on HAL.

You know whats even funnier? I was being facetious but the lack of sense of humor in some folks blinded them to that fact.

I have sat and read every one of these posts on this thread and on previous where people berate the various passengers on the various cruise lines.

I wonder why it is that some people, not just on these boards, and others, choose to throw their superiority complexes around, no matter whom it might hurt?

Could it be they feel they are better than their next door neighbor or the person on the next ship over? Or could it be as someone posted elsewhere on this HAL board, that they just have to get their post count up?

You know, Jesus Christ was born into a family with no money. He was born into a family of working class people. He rode on a donkey, not in a golden chariot. He walked, he ran, he was a down to earth human being who loved every person as his brother or sister, not because of how much money they did or did not have, but because of their behavor to others.

How dare we look down on all people who cruise on Carnival, RCCL, NCL, Disney or any other line other than HAL just because of how WE SEE a few disorderly cruisers.

There are passengers on HAL that are just as bad, if not worse than some of us hae b*****ed about.

I would prefer to pay less at a Walmart for the exact same thing that I would pay double for at a brand name store. What the heck is the difference? NONE, unless you count the cost. Gimme Walmart and let me buy twice if not 3 times the quantity!

I've never been on any of the Carnival, RCCL, NCL, Disney Lines, but that is my choice. Let's remember that while you may have strong feelings about them, it is NOT RIGHT to denegrate them just because they are not up to your "standards." Being up to your "standards" does not make them any less classy. What it does is to make them more affordable to those of us who CHOOSE to cruise those lines because of the things we have heard about HAL and other lines in HAL's class, such as "HAL is for the Newlywed or Nearly Dead." Now we all know that is not true, but.... You call them white trash/Walmart shoppers, they call us nearly dead...

Sorry for the rant, but this really irritates me that so many of us feel we are so much better than others.

Joanie

Y'know, HAL passengers also cruise on Carnival. Yes, even true blue(hull) ones like me.

Jan 1 2011 I'll be on Carnival Liberty for a wedding. Will it be different from HAL? Yes. Will I have fun anyway? Yes.

Will I stereotype and make fun of Carnival cruisers? No, because I read WAAAY to many "Will it be all old people on HAL?" posts from newbies here.

Sorry to be a wet blanket. Now, go ahead, carry on and enjoy yourselves...:)

Same with us, in fact 2 off our next 3 cruises are on Carnival.

There is no doubt in my mind that HAL cruisers are better people in all respects-including several steps up on the social scale and on Darwin's scale.

Wow

Wow again...I mean that people on Carnival can even read now :D

But seriously, your first statement nearly had me replying in a not so nice fashion.

My line of choice is Crystal (4 cruises, so far) although I have been on HAL twice AND I shop at Walmart at least twice most weeks.:eek::D:eek::D

Exactly, on long flights I fly in first class, 10-12 hours on a plane just won't work for me in coach and guess what, I shop at Walmart, Target and yes even K-Mart.

I wonder why it is that some people' date=' not just on these boards, and others, choose to throw their superiority complexes around, no matter whom it might hurt?

[/b'][/color]

Joanie

Fantastic post Joanie, we see it on every board on CC, lets face it, it's the way some people are, my DW loves HAL, I am ok with them, are they better than CCL, yes in some respect, is CCL better than HAL, yes in some respects as well, personally we have come to meet in the middle ground and pick Princess over either (well except next year), now to get Princess to change the beds to the ones on HAL and Carnival.

Hi, Greg!!! How are you???? I still think about that New Zealand/Australia cruise a lot. We don't have a cruise booked right now (horrors!) so I'm going through withdrawal and not spending much time on here because it makes me DEPRESSED. :p It was great to see your name on here today!

Jeff and I took a Carnival cruise last September. Our first. I was really kind of worried because I saw sooooooooooooooo many posts about smuggling--even on my roll call. And we had a GREAT time! I never saw anyone drunk or anything close to it (which is more than I can say about HAL where I one time had a drunken elderly man lean on me and look down my dress as he breathed in my face as we walked down the stairs in the show lounge). The crowd was pretty young, and the night life was EVERYWHERE (not that we partook as that's not why we cruise). We never had any trouble with anyone being obnoxious or rude (again more than I can say about some of our HAL cruises).

We did see one gal get nabbed at security as we reboarded after one of our ports. She had alcohol in a water bottle. I'm not sure how the guy knew what it was, but he put masking tape on it, and asked her for her cabin # and said he was going 'to report' her. :eek:

I kept meaning to do a HAL vs. Carnival review, but I'm lazy and just had my first grandchildren (Friday, twins, still in the NICU) so I doubt I'll get to it now. To sum it up, the food was not as good on Carnival, and the crew was not as friendly (really not friendly). The service was about the same, however. The entertainment was FAR SUPERIOR on Carnival. (We've hardly missed a show on any of our cruises.) I still prefer HAL, but we had a great cruise on Carnival and would do it again if the price/itinerary is right. (Hey, we had a balcony for the price of an inside on HAL. ;))

Robin

What a completely asnine thing to comment and complain about. Excuse the rest of us if we can't afford to have the best all the time. For some of us, it's the option of choosing a 'lesser' cruise line or not taking a vacation at all. I guess since we're all so poor, we should just stay home and not bother with such things as vacation and relaxation. And so far as people not reading on Carnival? I actually have to take an extra bag for all the books I bring. You're really complianing about people hanging out in the buffet? You do realize that CC rated Carnival the best food in terms of dining room and buffet, right? Maybe if HALs food was better, more people would actually enjoy eating it. Additonally, in this same editors picks, Carnival got 4 nods while HAL only got two.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/editors-picks/listofwinners.cfm

How awful that you would think yourself so much better than everyone that sails on Carnival. I'm 22 years old, love Carnival and was excited to give HAL a shot to try something new. But I guess through your logic, I should be dreading it. I'd rather not waste my time with people that feel superior and act "Holier than thou", as I'm sure EVERYONE that sails HAL must be (according to your logic, of course).

Joanie,

Excellent post....thank you:)

Sadly some people (and not just here in CC but everywhere in life) can't enjoy what they have unless they put down what you have.

Like you said if it is something they feel is beneath them or not fancy enough for them, they need to put it down along with the people who enjoy it.

One of my wifes best friends and her husband (God bless them he has a very very good job, they want for nothing) were looking for a new car for her. She wanted one of those new VW Bugs (she had an old one in high school and college and loved her little "Love Bug")

She ended up getting a BMW SUV

Why?????

Her husband couldn't bear to think what people would think if she drove around their upscale neighborhood or picked up their kids at the fancy private school in a VW Bug.

COO COO ...... COO COO

My wife and I have sailed nearly every cruise line. And my first HAL cruise is this coming weekend! I must say that Ive never had a bad cruise. NEVER! All of my cruises have been fantastic and basically we've had absolutely nothing to complain about at all. Princess, Royal Carribean, Oceania, Cunard, NCL, Carnival, et al, they all had good food and good service. Every cruise line does a good job or else they wouldnt be in business very long. There is simply too much competition for our vacation dollars out there. So, they may all offer a little bit different product or experience, but they all execute very well a vast majority of the time.

That said, when you come to CC and see all the complaining about how bad people's experiences were onboard a particular cruise ship, one would get the impression that cruising is a horrible way to vacation. We were simply mortified to be treated so shabbily by that other line, blah blah blah! Part of that comes from being so experience with cruising that one becomes more discriminating in how they think they should be treated on a cruise. And further, as with most other things, we humans tend to segregate ourselves into groups of people who are like minded. This is the HAL board for those who are more or less loyal to HAL and appreciate their product vis a vis other lines. So, with group think dynamics its easy to be critical of those "other people" who like lines that we find so appallingly poor. And likewise, go to the NCL or Carnival board and read what they say about all the "old fogeys" on HAL.

That is human nature, pure and simple. I laugh about it and find it rather hilarious since I really have no real loyalties at all to any particular line or group of cruisers. Every group here at CC has more in common than they have differences. This is a message board dedicated specifically to the passion of cruising which most here definitely have. So, I am not getting all the offense being given and taken. Its a vacation on one ship vs a basically the exact same vacation on another ship; not a commentary on modern day sociological aspects of class and money in America. So, lighten up Francis!

Archived