Lost my cabin

shunga

Lost my cabin when my TA and cruise line failed to notify me that my final payment was due. I had paid deposit with my credit card and assumed that it would be charged again at final. Only found out that there might be a problem when I checked my credit card and didn't see a charge this month. I then called the TA. Was able to rebook in the same category for the same fare as my original booking (saving $450pp versus today's quoted fare) but in a far less desireable location. Am I justified at being really angry about this? What do you think the TA should do now, if anything? FWIW this is the 8th cruise we've booked with this agent and she is a personal friend.

I can understand you being upset, but truly, it is your responsibility to ensure final payment is made. I'm a bit surprised your TA friend didn't phone you and tell you, but still.... my daytimer has a BIG NOTE on the day before final payment date, reminding me to phone and pay. IMHO your TA did well by getting you the same price, and to expect anything additional from him/her is not reasonable. JMHO

I have to agree. You can be upset and maybe should be upset.

However, 55% of the problem should be personal responsibility. The other 45% I would lay on the TA.

If they are a personal friend then there should be no problem sitting down and finding out where the lines of communications broke down.

It was your own fault. Some agencies DO have policy in place where by you authorize them when you book to charge the final payment to the card you have given them when it is due, HOWEVER, this is a special selection and you must make it clear and verify it and authorize it when you book, otherwise the TA has no right what so ever to charge your card and if you were not expecting them too and they did you would be here up in arms about it.

So no you should not be upset with the TA, However that said and especially if she is a friend you would think she might have called you and told you it was due.

If you have booked with your TA (& friend) 8 times already, one would think you know the procedure they follow regarding final payment. Sorry, but you do have to take some responsibility here....:rolleyes: but on the positive side you saved $450.00 ! :D

OP only saved the $450 because he got to pay the original rice not today's.

Sorry guys but I have to side with the OP. I for one am SUPER busy and could easily miss the final payment date. I too would have assumed that the TA (not the line) probably would have notified me...

Then you, just like the original poster, would have assumed wrong...Everyone else on this thread who do not assume anything will get it right every time and save themselves aggravation. It's your choice!

To be a Devil's Advocate for the OP. For the past 8 cruises did teh TA call ahead of final payment date and remind you? If so, I would shift the "blame" to 55% TA / 45% OP, as there would have been a legitamate expectation of that call before final payment.

That being said, when we book a cruise we have the final payment date circled on our home calender, DW's personal calendar and I have it as a reminder in outlook. On top of that our TA calls typically a week ahead with a reminder.

Since you were still able to get on the cruise I would just chalk it up to experience and next time make darned sure you know when final payment is due.

Then you, just like the original poster, would have assumed wrong...Everyone else on this thread who do not assume anything will get it right every time and save themselves aggravation. It's your choice!

Sorry, but perhaps it is you that may be wrong. I would agree that my situation is somewhat unique in that life at 35,000 feet is my office. I have a great TA who books dozens of business and personal trips for me per year. They help to keep me organized. At the end of the day I see the OP's position.

OP should also expect more from TA like courtesy e-mail about final payment being due within a week. I always get those e-mails and calls from mine.

If the TA in the past has done this i.e. courtesy call email, that would be fine and the responsibility should have been heavier on the TA than the OP. If the OP or the TA followed the same scenario regarding final payment procedure they have done in the past 8 cruises....then there would have been no problem at all. Without knowing the entire story from the OP as far as how things have been done in the past, can we really speculate who is more right or wrong ?

To be a Devil's Advocate for the OP. For the past 8 cruises did teh TA call ahead of final payment date and remind you? If so, I would shift the "blame" to 55% TA / 45% OP, as there would have been a legitamate expectation of that call before final payment.

That being said, when we book a cruise we have the final payment date circled on our home calender, DW's personal calendar and I have it as a reminder in outlook. On top of that our TA calls typically a week ahead with a reminder.

Since you were still able to get on the cruise I would just chalk it up to experience and next time make darned sure you know when final payment is due.

Your description is what has happened in all earlier transactions. If I wanted a nameless, faceless, low service transaction, I would have booked online. I see my TA nearly every day. One word, and I would have paid on the spot. Yes, I understand that I should have set a reminder to be sure payment had been made. I am unhappy with myself that I didn't. I won't ever book a cruise again without doing it. But I think that someone who collects a commission has some obligation to watch out for the best interests of their clients.

Your description is what has happened in all earlier transactions. If I wanted a nameless, faceless, low service transaction, I would have booked online. I see my TA nearly every day. One word, and I would have paid on the spot. Yes, I understand that I should have set a reminder to be sure payment had been made. I am unhappy with myself that I didn't. I won't ever book a cruise again without doing it. But I think that someone who collects a commission has some obligation to watch out for the best interests of their clients.

Based on my experience even if you booked with an on line agency you would have received a heads up. I always keep track of my final due dates, but I am always reminded by any T.A. that I have used. IMO you are right to be disappointed with your friend/T.A. If it was me, the friend would need to be very special to get my business in the future. I certainly would not let it go without discussing my disappointment. The bottom line is that a TA that is making money from your booking did not earn what they were paid in this example and you are the only one that has suffered by getting an inferior cabin.

Just like at home when you pay your bills.

Yes, a bill is sent to you as a reminder of the due date.

However, even if a bill gets lost in the mail, it does not desolve your responsibility of making the payment on time.

We can play the blame game all we want but we still know upon whom the responsibility lies.

I think it is a nice perk to have a TA that sends email or phone reminders (mine does) but this certainly doesn't take the burden of responsibility off of me. IMHO the final payment date is your responsibility and I am just really glad that you did not lose your spot on the ship. Hope you have a great cruise!

Your description is what has happened in all earlier transactions. If I wanted a nameless, faceless, low service transaction, I would have booked online. I see my TA nearly every day. One word, and I would have paid on the spot. Yes, I understand that I should have set a reminder to be sure payment had been made. I am unhappy with myself that I didn't. I won't ever book a cruise again without doing it. But I think that someone who collects a commission has some obligation to watch out for the best interests of their clients.[/quote]

While I agree with your last statement that does not negate your responsibility to keep track of it yourself. I hope you have had a very strongly worded conversation your your friend/TA about all of this and if you are determined to stay with this person that it will never happen again no matter who was at fault.

Your agent was able to get the cruiseline to honor the original price. Wow, she already went to bat for you, making amends for her portion of the mutual error. Your original cabin is probably occupied by now, but you can check the web occassionally to see if a cabin you like becomes available. Learn your lesson about final payment and be happy you will be on the ship.

Whenever we have booked with a TA we have to call her and give her the go ahead to pay the balance on our cruise. I would have thought though that your TA would have noticed that you did not pay and would have called you to remind you

Archived