All things- Silver Spirit!

Host Dan

Hi Duct tape,

Are you a Amadeo fan too? Every night after dinner, we'd head to the Panorama Lounge and have a night cap......listening to Amadeo at the Piano.

Great guy! I was hoping he'd be on the Whisper in March. I guess not.

Ciao.

ScottToronto

countdown.pl?name=ScottToronto&date=3-4-2010&image=Beach-8&text=Voyage 4006 Hong Kong to Singapore&ship=Silver Whisper

Perhaps I'm a heretic but I'm not a fan of "Amedeo." I don't dislike him but I find nothing interesting about his performance. He is on the Spirit right now and is playing in the "The Bar."

There's another pianist in the Panorama lounge named Mark Farris. If I had to choose between the two I would go with Mark. He's been on the the Cloud before.

Two questions for those on the TA on Silver Spirit right now:

What sort of enrichment lectures are being offered, and are these in a series (ie one lecturer addressing a single topic in several talks) or just "one off" lectures?

And I saw that someone (Wes?) made reference to "language classes". If these are on offer, which language(s)??

And as a supplementary, if I may - any cooking classes or demonstrations?

Many thanks! Hope your crossing continues to be so much fun!

Hambagahle, our crossing enrichment lectures are presented by three different

professors (husband/wife, and another professor), focus so far has been on wine

origins in madiera, henry the navigator of lisbon, pirates of the carribbean, smuggling in

the caribbean..also Rich McKay an emmy award winning tv producer is on board providing

lectures on broadway/tv productions.

Language classes so far offered, are very elementary (i.e. introductory Italian, portugese) presented by Fernando, Cruise Director.

Today, Ida attended the champagne tasting presented by the restaurant's head sommelier, Carolina...she learned a bottle of champagne has 49 million bubbles of

champagne when poured..she had three glasses at the tasting (house pours

tasted were Drappier, Pommery and Pierre Joulet (sp?)..she prefers pommery..she

continued her private tasting through lunch (hiccup). Doug, Lynn and I had

different beverages...SS has my fav beer, Peroni--I get one at lunch daily.

my post above about a serious mobility challenge..misspoke..my bad...there are

four handicapped suites located on deck 5 (pls book early if u need one)

On our sailing, we also had the champagne tasting, but Karolina would not tell us what they were except one was an Italian sparkling and that two were champagne. There was no other food demo like on the other ships.

They also had Spanish lessons on our sailing, in addition to Italian and Portugese.

Italian is a lovely language, if very difficult to master!! (especially the verbs). We took Italian classes on both our crossings on the Italian line in the '70's and learnt enough to get by with on shore when we arrived!! Nice feature to have on a ship, I think.

Italian is a lovely language, if very difficult to master!! (especially the verbs). We took Italian classes on both our crossings on the Italian line in the '70's and learnt enough to get by with on shore when we arrived!! Nice feature to have on a ship, I think.

Va bene?

In conversation with three SS frequent floaters (each have over 200 days on SS ships) they recommend SS "not" (one couple is in 646) sell cabins 640-646because they are directly above the lobby bar and the band music resonates loudly (most evenings) until midnight. Thus, be forewarned if you book these mid ship veranda's on deck six.

Also, the Observation lounge (deck 11 forward) is a wonderful space to watch beautiful sunsets on the Spirit.

The Spirit restaurant team does an exceptional job with special orders as long as you give them 24 hours advance (we have had a delicious/special indian dinner one night, we are having dover sole and cherries jubilee in a few nights, and steak diane and crepe suzzette (last formal night) in the Restaurant. Just love the variety of dining choices on the Spirit (La Terraza, Stars, Stone Grill, Seishin, Le Champagne, Room service, Pool Grill during day)

Le Champagne was fully booked last night; I am told by a couple who dined there last night that all tables were taken. They sat next to a couple who is onboard for 30 days and they have reserved Le Champagne each night of the 30 they are onboard.

I dined at Seishin last night--it was about 1/3 full and was exquisite. I loved it; sushi, the fish and wagyu dishes were great. They even made a special non-seafood menu for my partner who doesn't eat seafood and wasn't planning on dining with us (we had dinner with the presenter Rick McKay) but we got to talking and he walked with us to the restaurant and they said they were fully prepared for guests who don't eat seafood.

I think that I will dine in Le Champagne most of the time but would like to try Seishin and the supper club,and the main restaurant when the menu looks ok.I would not try the outside dining option although it is always going to be popular when the weather is warm.

Are you able to order a steak or veal chop in the outside restaurant to arrive cooked to your liking, so that you do not have to bother with the stone cooking?

In conversation with three SS frequent floaters (each have over 200 days on SS ships) they recommend SS "not" (one couple is in 646) sell cabins 640-646because they are directly above the lobby bar and the band music resonates loudly (most evenings) until midnight.
So where did they move the #646 couple to?

Are you able to order a steak or veal chop in the outside restaurant to arrive cooked to your liking, so that you do not have to bother with the stone cooking?

No. Though I s'pose you could order a steak from "The Restaurant" and have it delivered there. The food for the Black Rock Grill comes from the same galley/kitchen as the pool grill lunch.

I don't think SS will not sell suites 640-646 due to loss of income. I wonder if they could add some insulation/soundproofing in the ceiling at this late date. Just glad I know about these. Thanks, Wes for letting us know.

I don't think SS will not sell suites 640-646 due to loss of income. I wonder if they could add some insulation/soundproofing in the ceiling at this late date. Just glad I know about these. Thanks, Wes for letting us know.

Maybe they can be used for entertainers or lecturers or other "non rev" types who are forewarned.

I did not want to order 24 hours in advance to avoid the same piece of fish every night when Todd was sick a lot and I did not know if he was even going to make it. I made do, though growing sea bass out of my ears. Today, I saw it at the store for $29.99 a lb., and I do love it...I bought rainbow trout instead, though. It was nowhere near that pricey.

Lord of the Seas, I think you are making too big of an issue of this cooking. You don't even cook at all except flipping that meat once maybe and if you want to sizzle it around. You get your other courses ready to go and then the meat just sizzles. Did you see my pics? It's not like hibachi cooking where it comes all raw. If you order shrimp, yes you cook it. The meat, though is already plenty done on the outside parts, ours was. Then while it just sizzles on the plate, you are eating the other parts. Lo and behold, it is ready to eat. My only issue, is it kept on, and my choices were to move it off the plate in 40 degree weather to get cold or let it cook. We's idea of moving it was good, but some of the pieces of meat are enormous. I doubt anyone will say the portions are too small out there.

Wes, I take it you are now seeing sunsets? Yahoo...

Wil, I really like the Seishin manager, and in November when we go back, I am going to see what can be done to dine there. She said she might be able to work out a la carte for us. I like your idea of a special menu. Todd might prefer that. Mainly, we just don't want the raw.

Archived