Where to cruise when you have seen it all?

MomC

Hi Fellow Well Traveled Cruisers,

Our problem isn't unique to just us, I am sure many of you face the challenge we do. We have the time and the money to cruise, but having taken over 30 cruises and land trips abroad, we have run out of itineraries that are new. Don't get me wrong, we haven't sailed to South America (and don't want to), nor to Africa, but otherwise we have sailed the Carribean too many times to count; done all of the Europe itineraries as well as Panama Canal and Mexican Riviera--and Alaska and New England/Canada. Oh and Hawaii and Tahiti.

Sooo, what do you do??? When you have seen everything you want to, how do you decide where to go? I am dying to try another cruise on Crystal, but she has no itineraries which are new to us. We are doing a land trip to Egypt next month, but I want to do another cruise. I know I want to do a transatlantic with Cunard--and would love to go to Bermuda (but the only decent itinerary is on HAL--and the ship has to tender into ports because it is too big to dock--so I am thinking a land trip there might be best).

I would love to hear from those of you who have faced this dilemma. I know that this is a very pleasant problem (and I don't want to sound spoiled, but I have worked hard to narrow my bucket list of travels--now I am there--yikes!)

Where do you go when you have seen it all??? :>)

Mom C

Hi Fellow Well Traveled Cruisers,

Our problem isn't unique to just us, I am sure many of you face the challenge we do. We have the time and the money to cruise, but having taken over 30 cruises and land trips abroad, we have run out of itineraries that are new. Don't get me wrong, we haven't sailed to South America (and don't want to), nor to Africa, but otherwise we have sailed the Carribean too many times to count; done all of the Europe itineraries as well as Panama Canal and Mexican Riviera--and Alaska and New England/Canada. Oh and Hawaii and Tahiti.

Sooo, what do you do??? When you have seen everything you want to, how do you decide where to go? I am dying to try another cruise on Crystal, but she has no itineraries which are new to us. We are doing a land trip to Egypt next month, but I want to do another cruise. I know I want to do a transatlantic with Cunard--and would love to go to Bermuda (but the only decent itinerary is on HAL--and the ship has to tender into ports because it is too big to dock--so I am thinking a land trip there might be best).

I would love to hear from those of you who have faced this dilemma. I know that this is a very pleasant problem (and I don't want to sound spoiled, but I have worked hard to narrow my bucket list of travels--now I am there--yikes!)

Where do you go when you have seen it all??? :>)

Mom C

Do try Bermuda -- it is unique and beautiful. Celebrity is coming to NJ starting in April through Oct. this year and docks at the Dockyard -- easy use of the ferry brings you to Hamilton or St. George's or the bus is available too. It's not only efficient (ferry) but a scenic ride for $4 and fully accessible for scooter/wheelchairs or cycles too. The dockyard itself has some interesting sites -- Governor's house and museum are interesting on the grounds and are an easy walk - lots of war history.

On HAL they are docking in Hamilton and tendering in St. George's on a large 700 person tender with lift equipped provisions acc. to HAL for wheelchairs/scooters. A totally different experience from Celebrity -- cruise to cruise -- not just for ports.

Having been to Bermuda many times, we finally took a great tour for 5 hours last time with Unique Vacations -- and learned that there's much more to Bermuda than meets the eye. Vicki

Mom C,

I see where you are from Ft. Collins CO. Great weather especially this time of year!?# We are leaving on our 10 th cruise in less than two weeks. I know the flight from LAX to Syd is a long 14 hours but once we get there it will be 90 degrees. (Bye Bye winter) This will be a 14 day cruise around New Zealand. There has been some competition amoung the airlines going to Austrialia and the price has dropped has become affordable. Funny... We have cruise Alaska, Hawaii, New England, Mexician Riviera, and the Meditterean but have not discovered the Carribbean yet. Maybe next year. I hope this bit of information will help. Tim

Mom C, to be honest, you really haven't seen it all in the world if you've only been to Europe, Canada, Caribbean and Alaska. There's a whole lot of other places you haven't been to. Have you thought of the South Pacific? How about Australia and New Zealand? Asia is a fantastic cruise destination with many very interesting ports. I don't know why you won't consider South America or Africa, but for me in all my 64 cruises, those two continents have been some of the best and most interesting. And you can't beat seeing the wildlife in Antarctica. Have you thought about doing the Norway fjords and then up to the Arctic Circle? I did that last year and it was the most amazing cruise. Seeing the arctic shelf, the land of the midnight sun and everything else was unbelieveable.

So, in all, you really have a lot of other choices for your cruises.

We did everything we wanted to do and were stuck. Then we decided to give one of the places we didn't want to go a try. It ended up being one of our favorite destinations in the world (Cape Town, South Africa).

You've been on a luxury cruise (Crystal) -- why not try Seabourn, Regent or Silversea. Regent includes airfare in addition to being all-inclusive (note: these three cruiselines are all-inclusive (tips, drinks, etc.) and have open seating! Check out their itineraries. Some of the smaller ships can go places that HAL can't get to.

I appreciate your suggestions. We have traveled by land to Australia and New Zealand. Have done the Tahitian Islands as suggested by one of you. Have sailed with Regent and Seabourne--loved Regent both times, but my husband prefers the larger ship so thought Crystal would be better suited to his taste. I like your idea of going to one of the destinations we don't think will be for us--why not try South America or Asia--now I just have to convince hubby who is VERY set in his ways.

Mom C

Kitty9, What cruise line did you use to cruise the Norweigan fjords?

It was Crystal. The two week cruise started in Copenhagen and ended in London. It's definitely one cruise that I would do again. Seeing the North Cape and cruising around the ice bergs seeing the Arctic ice shelf was something you never forget. We took a tour that included stopping at a place where they breed sled dogs, and they just had puppies, so we got to sit there and play with them---it was so much fun. A few went on a hike looking for polar bears---I never did ask if they saw any. But we saw lots of sea life including whales. But the scenery was the highlight of the cruise, especially the fjords.

• 2 weeks later...

Galapagos Islands, hands down. Fantastic trip. Did Celebrity Xpedition, one of my favorites in over 30 cruises. Also SE Asia, love the culture and very interesting and relaxing way to see that part of the world. My favorite part was Vietnam and China.

You have really barely started to scratch the surface of what is available out there.

We are headed to Capetown and safari in a couple of months and cannot wait. Iberian Coastline was another that was a very pleasant surprise. And we have enjoyed the European river cruises if you have not experienced that type of cruising yet. Please don't limit yourself to areas that you perceive you have an interest in. I have found that the places that I had the least interest in stopping at on a trip have sometimes been my favorite part of the trip.

Well I find it hard to imagine not wanting to go back to my favourite places, over and over again. We've spent 42 days cruising in French Polynesia for instance, and would relish a return.

Have you actually "seen" all you want of Europe? Again, can't fathom that. Think about doing something in depth--Portugal, or Turkey. Pick some favourite cities and spend a week in each of them, or rent a car and explore some wonderful countryside. Same with the U.K.--I could go back there hundreds of times, the West Country, the Lake District, Scotland, Wales, Yorkshire, etc., etc.

As for South America, we just did Rio to FLL and loved this destination--I very much want see Buenos Aires as well. I agree about the Galapagos--this is high on my list for future.

How about Central America? Costa Rica, Belize? New Zealand? Vietnam, Indonesia, the list goes on.

MomC - Not to be too cynical in my response; but you haven't remotely "seen it all".

How about a cruise to Antartica, particularly if it includes stops on South Georgia Island, where you can find yourself surrounded by a half-million beautiful King Penguins or visit a fjord with 7 immense glaciers, all of which are comparable to the largest ones in Alaska?

As for places in South America, there are the Galapagos Islands for a cruise and Machu Picchu or Iguassu Falls for a pre- or post-cruise. As Wendy stated, Rio is a magnificent city, probably the most beautifully situated large city in the world. The citizens there say that, "Paris is the most beautiful city designed by men; while Rio is the most beautiful city designed by God." They are right in both counts.

Have you made a Black Sea cruise, visiting the historic cities of Yalta, Odessa, or Sevastapol? It is remarkable to stand in the room where Churchill, Roosevelt, and Stalin divided up Europe at the Yalta Conference in 1945 or to visit the formerly top secret nuclear submarine base built into a mountain near Sevastapol (shades of "The Hunt for Red October").

How about a cruise on the Nile and a visit to the glorious temple at Luxor?

Perhaps you might wish to think outside the brochure and look at places that might have seemed a bit too crazy or a bit too far away or a bit too odd. Our visits to all of the places listed above were terrific and did not make us love Paris less.

Have fun finding new places to visit. Cheers, Fred

If you've been to Europe on cruises, you probably have only seen the major cities and towns on the coast or near the coast. I recommend trying a European river cruise to see a totally different part of Europe. You might get "hooked" on these if you try one. Relaxing, small ships, interesting places, sightseeing and excursions usually included. I love them!

Besides the big name companies that cruise many ports around the world, there are many smaller companies based in particular areas. Places like Fiji or the Great Barrier Reef have smaller yatchts with just a few dozen guest that are very nice.

If you have not been to the interior of Europe, river cruise options come in sizes of ships and luxary levels.

Wayne S.

• 2 weeks later...

We have been many places and many cruises .......some Luxury, some mass market. We are now thinking of a Euopean River Cruise............What is the best, Lux line and itinerary?????????? One of our favorite most wonderful, two times, cruises have been on the Paul Gauguin, French Polynesia, Marquesas etc...........would go back again in a heart beat but think we should broaden our horizons and move forward on an all new adventure.

Not happy about flying but it looks like we have no choice with this endeavor.

Looking forward to hearing everyone input etc.

Galapagos

Antarctica

Asia - North, Southeast

Arctic

Africa (Seychelles and other Islands)

Great Barrier Reef

Btw, our favorite was Galapagos!

I can also recommend Azamara Quest in Southeast Asia. We liked it better than the "luxury" brands. I was surprised.

pirates are off somalia, and silversea lets you do custom itins.

seabourn, seadream, silversea?

Yes, there are pirates off of Somalia, but there are also ones operating in the area of the Seychelles and the Maldives. The Crystal Serenity is in the Indian Ocean this week between Kenya and India and is skipping those places. They specifically announced that pirate activity was the reason for dropping calls at those places. There are reports from current cruisers on the Serenity that security on the ship has been visibly increased (i.e., more security on the deck doing watches that are not "normal".)

You know the old saying "You ain't seen nothing yet"?

Japan, China, Vietnam, Thailand, Singapore, India, Malaysia, The ENTIRE Middle East, The ENTIRE continents of Africa, South America, Antartica and Austrailia.

You have seen the Westernized World, now go see the rest.

If you've been to Europe on cruises, you probably have only seen the major cities and towns on the coast or near the coast. I recommend trying a European river cruise to see a totally different part of Europe. You might get "hooked" on these if you try one. Relaxing, small ships, interesting places, sightseeing and excursions usually included. I love them!

well written..Thanks for the recommendation.

Outdoor Equipment

pirates are off somalia, and silversea lets you do custom itins.

seabourn, seadream, silversea?

Yes, we liked Azamara Quest better than SilverSea. Note that on SilverSea we were on PAII in a porthole and on Quest in the Penthouse, but I would have felt the same way if we were in an OV on Quest.

We are scheduled to go back on SilverSea next year though.

Crystal cancelled stops at the Seychelles and Maldives this year because of pirate activity in the area!

Has SilverSea skipped Seychelles? I'd like to know where these ships are going as a back-up since we have Seychelles and some African countries places scheduled for next year.

Archived