Latest booze situation at port in sj!!!

stefo

• 2 weeks later...
I will be sure to check back. I was so excited to be leaving from SJ for this reason and then the bubble burst! I guess I will have to pull out my rum runners, buy my stash when I get to OSJ and fill them up, put them in my checked luggage....once again.

Hi, is a rum runner some type of container?

• 1 month later...

This thread is very informative. Didn't know what a "rum runner" was! BRILLIANT!

Anyone sailed out of SJ recently that can provide an update of the booze situation there? Not sure if the AOS is back to SJ from the Mediterranean itinerary though. I'm sailing out of SJ on November the 20th.

Cheers!

Well we just got back , now I dont know if this is normal but Custom Agents were doing the scanning of your carry ons , and they could care less how much alcohol you carry on , the same thing happened to us at FLL on RCI on cruise. All they cared about was they kept saying empty your pockets put everything in your suitcases , we had beers left from pre cruise figured what the heck didnt want to go down to claim my luggage so stuck them in our Carry ons we got 12 in between us , another person went back down withh a back pack ,and bought a fifth and carried it right on , now if its carnival people they will take it , but Customs only look for knives etc.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Well we just got back , now I dont know if this is normal but Custom Agents were doing the scanning of your carry ons , and they could care less how much alcohol you carry on , the same thing happened to us at FLL on RCI on cruise. All they cared about was they kept saying empty your pockets put everything in your suitcases , we had beers left from pre cruise figured what the heck didnt want to go down to claim my luggage so stuck them in our Carry ons we got 12 in between us , another person went back down withh a back pack ,and bought a fifth and carried it right on , now if its carnival people they will take it , but Customs only look for knives etc.

So, you're saying that if I bought alcohol at the port in SJ then I can carry it on? Is that what I am reading???

Just wanted to get an update on recent cruisers on Carnival departing out of San Juan. Do they still let you carry on alcohol as long as it is in a backpack? I went out in 2009 and we were able to carry on 3 bottles that we bought in port.

thanks

Just wanted to get an update on recent cruisers on Carnival departing out of San Juan. Do they still let you carry on alcohol as long as it is in a backpack? I went out in 2009 and we were able to carry on 3 bottles that we bought in port.

thanks

I would like to know about Princess departures too. Anyone can you help?

Just got back from the Victory. I had heard from cruisers a couple weeks before us that they were able to buy liquor at the duty free shop in the terminal and carry it right on the ship in the plastic bag. They must have been lucky. I had just our 2 bottles of wine (for 3 people in our cabin) and I almost got strip searched to make sure it was wine and not liquor, not to mention they searched through the carry ons of the 2 people with me to ensure they didn't have anything.

You are allowed 1 bottle of wine or champagne per passenger over 21, anything else will be taken and held until the end of the cruise as long as it is in its original packaging.

Honestly, we just buy a couple bottles from Bon Voyage and it is so worth not having to hassle about it.

We just got back from the Caribbean Princess (Pan Am pier). We bought 2 bottles of liquor in the store and put in our carry-on luggage. We had already been through security and there was not another scan past the liquor store.

The key was putting it in the carry-on; as we boarded the boat, we saw a small seating area with a bunch of confiscated bags on it - these appeared to be from people who simply kept the liquor in the plastic bags from the liquor store and tried to carry it on.

• 3 weeks later...
We just got back from the Caribbean Princess (Pan Am pier). We bought 2 bottles of liquor in the store and put in our carry-on luggage. We had already been through security and there was not another scan past the liquor store.

The key was putting it in the carry-on; as we boarded the boat, we saw a small seating area with a bunch of confiscated bags on it - these appeared to be from people who simply kept the liquor in the plastic bags from the liquor store and tried to carry it on.

:D:D:D Excellent Info! Thanks Mrs Booboo! We'll be sailing the Caribbean Princess in April.

We were on the December 10 sailing of the Summit. We were able to bring on alcohol in our carryon luggage as customs was doing the scanning. However, the big change is that the liquor store that is across from the check in desk will NOT allow you to put your purchases in your carryon bags. My friend tried to buy some alcohol there and was told they would have to deliver it to the ship (to be returned to her the last night) and she could not take them. This is a definite change from the past and they said they had instructions from Celebrity to do this.

Bottom line if you are on Celebrity ship, do not try to put your alcohol in your checked luggage, but right in your carry on before you get to the ship.

Edited by kitkat9438

I would like to know about Princess departures too. Anyone can you help?

I know Princess will allow you to bring on wine and champagne and you can have it at dinner for a corkage fee. Not sure on the other types of alcohol. Last year we carried a case of wine onto a Holland America cruise ship in FLL, people were stunned but that is the policy of both Princess & Holland America

Dave

So no one talks about Royal Caribbean and boarding from San Juan-anyone know which pier they use and the latest situation with your Wine and luggage

What happens with wine/liquor bought while in SJ for a shore excursion?? I will be on NOS and we have a short day. Have no idea what pier.

Kat is correct. You can purchase wine and champagne at the duty free store and bring onboard. No hard liquor, delivered late on the last night. Plenty of cigarettes too. Prices are the same at the airport but only available for outbound flights. Same Dec. Sailing.

• 4 weeks later...
We were on the December 10 sailing of the Summit. We were able to bring on alcohol in our carryon luggage as customs was doing the scanning. However, the big change is that the liquor store that is across from the check in desk will NOT allow you to put your purchases in your carryon bags. My friend tried to buy some alcohol there and was told they would have to deliver it to the ship (to be returned to her the last night) and she could not take them. This is a definite change from the past and they said they had instructions from Celebrity to do this.

Bottom line if you are on Celebrity ship, do not try to put your alcohol in your checked luggage, but right in your carry on before you get to the ship.

Are you saying you shouldn't put rum runners in your checked luggage either? We had good success with it May 2010 on Celebrity.

What happens with wine/liquor bought while in SJ for a shore excursion?? I will be on NOS and we have a short day. Have no idea what pier.

Royal will store your liquor for you, and it will be delivered to your stateroom the last afternoon of your cruise. :)