Latest booze situation at port in sj!!!

stefo

we left on Caribbean princess and there was a liquor store in the terminal that was after both bag check and check in...so yes we bought a couple bottles and took them on...nobody inspects bags after that point so I cant imagine who would have taken them if they were inside the carry ons.

we left on Caribbean princess and there was a liquor store in the terminal that was after both bag check and check in...so yes we bought a couple bottles and took them on...nobody inspects bags after that point so I cant imagine who would have taken them if they were inside the carry ons.

A couple regular bottles or the small airplane sized ones? I call those "testers" :D

Has RCI cracked down on bringing water/soda onboard in San Juan? We are flying in a day early and I want to bring some Diet Mt. Dew and Propel (flavored water) on board but I don't want it confiscated. I've heard that other ports are being more strict about ALL beverages, not just alcohol.

I have never found diet Mt. Dew in San Juan. Maybe you'll have better luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Just off the Victory yesterday--

We had some beer and a small bottle of open vodka, along with a medium unopened vodka left over from our hotel stay before we got on the ship . I had bought 3 gasolina to take back home also and we put it all in our suitcase. I didn't care if they took it or not because we had purchased beer and vodka from Bon Voyage for our room.

So they took the beer and gasolina and left the vodka, both opened and unopened bottles. They did not return it the night before debark- we had to go to the disco between 6:30-9:30 am for pickup. There was alot of stuff in that room for pickup.

Does RCCL allow 2 bottles of wine per stateroom? The website makes it seem like you can't bring anything on. I would think you should be able to bring a bottle or two of your own wine cellar.

Unfortunately RCI does NOT allow you to bring on any wine/champagne/alcohol. They also say you can't bring on water/soda but the enforcement of that seems a little more lax than the alcohol.

• 2 weeks later...
We are cruising out of San Juan in May, and would like to buy liquor at the duty free and fill the rum runners before we board the ship. Has anyone tried this method? If so, did it work?

I've used rum runners on multiple cruises, but I've always put them in my checked luggage - never in my carry on. One other concern is the layout of the port - not sure where you are going to have privacy to fill up your rum runners as the duty free store at port is after you check in and waiting to be boarded.

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back from our Vacation aboard the Victory. My smuggling success,

1 full Platapus which is similar to a RR, 1 case of local Medallion Beer, 1 Magic Bullett with Daquari mixes and when I returned from ports a 6 pack of local brews in my carry on went through the x-ray machine no issues.

I had a carry on they did not even open which had our 2 bottles of wine and a 12 of Diet Coke.

Just my experience.

Had a great time.

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from San Juan - here the scoop on Victory...

Think of a maze shaped like an N

They sell booze at the first corner. Didnt buy from the liquor store but they were selling mini bottles outside of it. Even if you did buy at the liquor store - no problem just stuffing your purchase in your carry-on bag. My friends and I purchased A LOT of minis. Sticking them in pockets, purses, bags. As you round the second corner is a check point to scan you and your bags. (I frankly think these people could care less what you have as I had a bottle of wine and a almost full water bottle in my bag and they never took the time to look at either). We also bought water and coke at that stop and they went through the scanners without even a second look. Then as you reach the end of the walkway after that scanning you come to a couple of carnival guys next to another scanner. We all just walked past them with our purses and bags but one of our guys beeped so they made him go back through and (of corse his pockets were bulging from the minis-7 in each pocket) He actually beeped because of his belt buckel - he had to take that off & they asked if he had anything in his pockets - well of course he fessed up and pulled out all the minis which they confiscated at that time. I think if he would have kept his mouth shut he would have gotten away with it.

We also had 16 checked luggage bags that had rum runners in most of them. All bags got to the rooms but 2. One was because it had a mini DVD player in it which they had to pull out and show what it was. The other because she had 4 bottles of wine in it. She had to surrender 3 of the bottles until the end of the cruise. So carry any WINE you plan on bringing on board dont check it. Hope this helps... We had a blast doing our cabin crawl with our libations...

Edited by Cinderose

We are cruising out of San Juan in May, and would like to buy liquor at the duty free and fill the rum runners before we board the ship. Has anyone tried this method? If so, did it work?

I dont know what port you are going out of, but if you are going on the Victory you can just fill your rumrunners across the street at a restaurant called Aloha, and then just walk across the street to check your luggage just buy a drink so you can use a table, buy your booze and wine down at CVS. That is what we did and we got 4 RR through and 8 bottles of wine, we all brought 1 bottle on when we first boarded then 1 bottle after we went sight seeing. Simple as that!

Edited by nytonowhere

I dont know what port you are going out of, but if you are going on the Victory you can just fill your rumrunners across the street at a restaurant called Aloha, and then just walk across the street to check your luggage just buy a drink so you can use a table, buy your booze and wine down at CVS. That is what we did and we got 4 RR through and 8 bottles of wine, we all brought 1 bottle on when we first boarded then 1 bottle after we went sight seeing. Simple as that!

Where is CVS located in OSJ? We will be staying at Condado Villas at Caribe Hilton pre-cruise, any supermarkets or CVS close by to purchase bottles from?

Thanks in advance!!

• 3 weeks later...

I am sorry but I am confused....We are not boarding at OSJ, but that is a stop for us, aboard the Carnival Valor. Will we be able to buy liquor and then carry it back on board in our bags without them caring? When we have bought liquor at a port, we just always just checked it before getting back on and then gotten it back on the last night. At OSJ do they not really check?

especially if you have boxes or large bags. You can turn those in and if you have a bottle in your carry on it will probably not be collected except with NCL. Be sure to check out the close out store on street level for some super prices as well as the special price board for high end purchases upstairs.

Hello all!!

Just wanted to let everyone know what my experience was at Pan-Am pier before boarding the Serenade 4/30/11.

CARRY ON IS A NO GO

1) Initial x-ray of carry on bag before going to check-in desk.

2) Attempted to purchase bottles at Duty-free(after I checked-in) and was told that my purchases will go directly to the ship and be given back on the last day

3) another x-ray of carry on before boarding the ship.

CHECKED BAGGAGE IS A GO

Our group of 4 (2couples) were successful with 2-2L Platypus bags(exactly like rum runners just different name)

Hope this info helps you all

BTW - I was also successful using the platypus bag when bringing alcohol back onto the ship from ports.

I simply put it in my Camelback bladder compartment.

Hennessy Pure White never tasted so good:D

Edited by s1kmad3

• 2 months later...
Just what you can carry as it's the same as if you bought it at home. If you drive then you really can save but you still must list it on customs form and note that it was purchased in PR.

There is no customs form for leaving PR. PR is the United States

You go through US customs when you get back to PR from the rest of the Caribbean, but do not go through customs again when you fly from PR back to the mainland.

Edited by Lsimon

When in port buy any special liquor you want for home and what you want on the ship. Place your ship bottle or rumrunner in a towel. Place the home liquor in your carry on bag on top. If they walk you to "the check in table" then hand them the home liquor you aren't going to drink right away. Leave the other in the towel. Everyone is happy. You will probably still buy all the drinks on deck but will have some for your nightcap.