Carnival take notice! I don't like paying for stuff

Go Big Red

The things that those ships are charging for... they are extra, additional to all of the regular things that are free. If you don't want to pay those charges, Then you don't have to... you can just eat in the dining room and check out the free shows, and go to the free lounges. They haven't taken anything away... they just added onto what they had, and upgraded those new options... and they have to pay for those upgrades somehow.

Carnival take notice! I don't like paying for stuff!!

Have recently read reviews/articles on the Oasis and Epic.

Don't like the trend that has started there.

Paying for everything. Bars with cover charges? Areas that are

exclusive to certain guest? This is not what cruising is about.

While I agree it certainly is not an all inclusive vacation, there

has to be a line somewhere. Maybe someday there will be a

ship that charges for everything.

Then look at an all inclusive.They are are even cheaper than a cruise as long as you don't choose an island not served by a major airline.Before you say they are not cheaper,add the cost of the cruise,air,TIPS,booze,excursions into the total and see.IF you are not a drinker,than a cruise can be cheaper.

Steve

No, they're not. There is still free MDR dining. There is still a free buffet. There are still bars with no cover. As for the exclusive areas for certain cruisers ... have you not seen Titanic? ;)

lol...only 12 posts to see Titanic mentioned. For those making a stink about special spots for select guests, certain levels of past cruisers on RCCL get special spots for free drinks, Celebrity has special spots for guests in select cabins...NCL does as well. For those folks who pay a premium for their cruise they get extras, its part of the package just like flying first class...those who choose to take a more conservative approach to their cabin costs that is fine but they can't expect the extras offered to those paying a premium.

Ever notice that group sailings often get special perks? Should they not get special perks when they book large blocks of cabins on a single cruise...sometimes helping the ship sell out earlier that it would otherwise?

There was a time that cruising had a long list of things included, and a short list of things not included ("things of a personal nature").

I am just glad my experience on Carnival has been the addition of charges for premium additions only, like the Supper Club, specialty coffee, and the sweets counter. These things just weren't offered previously.

What I have noticed is the other lines are moving things that were once free, to an "additional charge" venue.

And while Carnival seems to continue to make a profit with their pricing structure, I hope they don't start getting greedy like those other lines.

I agree about the additional charges. I think Carnival has so many ships targetted to home port cruisers that they have to have a different model. Home port cruisers tend to cruise a bit more often, carry alot of stuff on, and look for bargains.

Carnival will make alot on them by volume, sailing older vessels, and giving them a good value. They typically have a budget and will spend it but not much more. So where the additional fees are doesn't really matter because they are more likely to stay on budget.

I think a home port cruise is a different experience than a once in a lifetime trip where no experience is to be missed no matter what the cost.

JMHO

Then look at an all inclusive.They are are even cheaper than a cruise as long as you don't choose an island not served by a major airline.Before you say they are not cheaper,add the cost of the cruise,air,TIPS,booze,excursions into the total and see.IF you are not a drinker,than a cruise can be cheaper.

Steve

I don't find this to be the case. Apples to apples (using the same Xmas/NYE vacation week, which is when we take our "big"- meaning expensive vacation) the AI's we have been to are pretty much the same cost, if not MORE than the cruises we go on - including air, excursions, you name it. We just went to Breezes, Bahamas this past Xmas. It cost MORE than cruising would have cost us. True, we are not big drinkers, but we play bingo on cruises, which adds up fast! We also take excursions at AI's, rather than sitting idle at the resort for the week. We took to cruising, as it was cheaper for the 4 of us as soon as the kids "aged out" of the kid's price at AI's. (we have been to over 15 AI's on all different islands) It is cheaper having 4 of us in one cabin than 4 of us in one room at an AI.

I have never been in a suite and never plan to. (Unless someone wants to pay for one for me ;)!) I don't understand the problem with people paying more for suites having special perks, they are paying for them!! If I wanted those perks, I could save up my money and book a suite, that is not what cruising is to me though, I love all the included things and use them all happily! :)

The things that those ships are charging for... they are extra, additional to all of the regular things that are free. If you don't want to pay those charges, Then you don't have to... you can just eat in the dining room and check out the free shows, and go to the free lounges. They haven't taken anything away... they just added onto what they had, and upgraded those new options... and they have to pay for those upgrades somehow.

I don't agree.

I have been reading certain lines moving MDR fare off the "free" menu, and moving it to the specialty "charge for" restaurants.

Now that would get my goat (not that I would eat one).

The other big stink was the change to a non changeable daily MDR menu. Yup, same menu, EVERY DAY. Enough people spoke up that there were MANY changes made.

I think that is part of it, but I also think there is a general trend to make other things payable (and Royal is leading in that effort...) like paying for room service 1-5 am, cover charges in night clubs etc. There are other things like reserving pool seats in certain areas (whether prime or not) for suite paying guests (yeah I know theat on RCCL you pay a whole bunch more for a suite, but frankly I hate the whole class thing). Princess has their adult area (their version, and it was first of Serenity) that has a charge.

Carnival has always been the value player in the cruising game and let's all hope they remember that.

We have a cruise planned with Royal on the FOS for August 2010 and we will be staying in a Grand Suite. I still don't think it is right that suite guest get reserved this and that . The perks should stay IN the suite. The whole you can have better seats or first dibs doesn't seem fair to those who save and save and can still only afford to get a balcony. Does royal really think that those guests are less important or substandard to those who stay in a suite?? Some of the people who stay in the less expensive cabins (which is what we normally do) spend tons of money on other stuff on the ship. I just think they should treat all the guests the same!!

I agree, but....

Is a show an option?

Is a comedy club an option?

How about dinner??

Cruises are supposed to include this stuff.

I understand paying for a massage, but should I have to

pay to use the gym?

My point is these cruises are turning into resorts where you pay

for everything. And I don't like it!

Well, best bet is to avoid those ships who charge extra....and stay with

Carnival.......who doesn't and probably won't....

We have a cruise planned with Royal on the FOS for August 2010 and we will be staying in a Grand Suite. I still don't think it is right that suite guest get reserved this and that . The perks should stay IN the suite. The whole you can have better seats or first dibs doesn't seem fair to those who save and save and can still only afford to get a balcony. Does royal really think that those guests are less important or substandard to those who stay in a suite?? Some of the people who stay in the less expensive cabins (which is what we normally do) spend tons of money on other stuff on the ship. I just think they should treat all the guests the same!!

I agree with you completely. People who stay in the large suites should have extras, but not at the expense of other cruisers. I would hate to see lounge chairs reserved by the pool for suite guests, and some of them remain vacant all day because those guests didn't want to use them. Or to see the front row in the theater reserved for suite guests. Things like that should be on a first come first served basis for everyone to enjoy, whether they are in the most expensive suite on the ship or in the least expensive inside room.

Were not the spa pools and steam rooms free and available to everyone at one time?

Is that not a $250 upgrade for a seven day cruise now (or something like that) or only free for those in the spa cabins?

We like Carnival because everyone is basically treated the same, even the Platinum members, ya they get a picture frame, a couple of extra freebies and a special line at the guest services desk, but not too much above us gold card holders and the blue first timers.

If more things go ala carte that used to be free, then maybe more people will end up looking for alternatives.

I agree with you completely. People who stay in the large suites should have extras, but not at the expense of other cruisers. I would hate to see lounge chairs reserved by the pool for suite guests, and some of them remain vacant all day because those guests didn't want to use them. Or to see the front row in the theater reserved for suite guests. Things like that should be on a first come first served basis for everyone to enjoy, whether they are in the most expensive suite on the ship or in the least expensive inside room.

btw the suite guests dont get the chairs right by the pool, they reseve one or two rows on each side on the diasys, the things that go up like wide stairs on RCL. I dont guess you have ever been on RCL from your description... the chairs right around the pool are still up for grabs and fought over same as usual.

I agree, but....

Is a show an option?

Is a comedy club an option?

How about dinner??

Cruises are supposed to include this stuff.

I understand paying for a massage, but should I have to

pay to use the gym?

!

I am playing devil's advocate because I know I pay a price and certain things are included. Having said that , why should I have to pay for YOU to use the gym? I don't use it! Why should I have to pay to have YOUR kids use Circle C or whatever the kid's program is called? I don't use it! Why should I have to pay for YOU to use the hot tubs? I don't use them.

We are all subsidizing things we might/might not use and at some point, I do think there will be some changes to the things that are now part of the cruise fare. Options are becoming a real thing in the cruise industry. I choose to go to the steak house, so I willingly pay for it. If there were a "real" Broadway type show onboard, I would probably pay a minimal amount if necessary to see it. I like having options, ones that are free or depending on what the option might be, a minimal cost. JMO.

I am playing devil's advocate because I know I pay a price and certain things are included. Having said that , why should I have to pay for YOU to use the gym? I don't use it! Why should I have to pay to have YOUR kids use Circle C or whatever the kid's program is called? I don't use it! Why should I have to pay for YOU to use the hot tubs? I don't use them.

We are all subsidizing things we might/might not use and at some point, I do think there will be some changes to the things that are now part of the cruise fare. Options are becoming a real thing in the cruise industry. I choose to go to the steak house, so I willingly pay for it. If there were a "real" Broadway type show onboard, I would probably pay a minimal amount if necessary to see it. I like having options, ones that are free or depending on what the option might be, a minimal cost. JMO.

I want to play devil's advocate, too! The same thing comes up each year, as we try to get our school budgets passed on Long Island. There are many senior citizens in our areas, who bought houses when they were dirt cheap. Now that their kids are old, grown, and moved away, they don't want to vote for the school budgets - "we have no kids in school anymore! Why should we spend for YOUR kids?" While I understand their point of view - my kids are out of high school - yet I still vote Yes for the budget, so others may get the benefit of the great education my kids got. While I may not use certain "things" on the ship - I do not begrudge anyone else getting use/enjoyment out of them. I do hope Carnival does not start nickel and diming people to death...

Archived