Pre cruise stay in Barcelona....convince me??

jb101300

Going on a Mediterranean cruise in 2011. First time to Europe. My first choice for a pre-cruise stay would be Paris, but if that doesn't work out (due to work/budgetary reasons) we may stay a few days before the cruise in Barcelona (boarding cruise ship there). I'm just not so convinced?? From the reports read on trip advisor on even the best hotels (Ritz Carlton included) it just seems like a really sketchy place, w/ loads of crime, and not very American friendly. I'd like to hear all the good things from those of you who have been to Barcelona and loved it.

I will be going on my first European cruise in May. Cruise begins in Barcelona and will be spending a few days beforehand. I am handling this the same way I would visiting any other large US city potentially known for high crime. Perhaps it helps in that I am from around Washington DC so already prepared from that standpoint. I've been to NY, New Orleans, etc - all known for high crime and never a problem.

I've always worn cross body purses to remain hands free but am very aware of the purse being in front of me. I think if you are careful and extra vigilant in large crowds, subway, etc you should be fine. If I were a criminal I'd look for and target those totally unaware of things happening around them. Stay focused and you should be okay. At least that's my intent.

Yes, I'm no stranger to big cities. I grew up in New York, went to college in the villlage. Worked in lower Manhattan in the financial district until 9/11, then moved to Orlando for 7 years, and now living in Maine (my husband works for the govt.) So, it's not that I'm intimidated by the city aspect. I guess I just need to do some research on Barcelona. I just want to make sure we stay in the absolute best place (willing to pay $$$ for a clean, safe hotel). Deciding between Hotel 1898 and Le Meridien right now, but that can change.

I have no idea where you got the idea that Barcelona is not

"American" friendly? I was there in October and just loved it!

There is no dangerous crime , just some pickpockets who look to take advantage of folks who are clueless about their surroundings!! We had no probs at all but then we (2 senior ladies) are street smart and aware of things around us.

We loved the architecture, museums, food, ambiance, weather etc. etc. The city reminded me a bit of San Francisco with its hills rolling down to the sea and its unique neighborhoods each with a slightly different fee.:p

Have been to Barcelona many times, most recently in August 2008 for 4 days pre-cruise. Stayed at the Eurostar Grand Marina, a lovely well-located hotel.

Where to start?

It is not some crime-ridden third-world armpit. It is a large amazing generally clean first-world metropolis with places one does not go after dark, kinda like London, or Chicago.

IME Barcelonans are delighted with visitors, especially if one attempts the language. It is world class for sights and food.

It is easy to get around. Great transportation and very walkable. There are NOT gangs of gypsies running rampant assaulting everyone who looks like a tourist. Indeed, police presence is excellent and I have never felt unsafe (and I was there when ETA was active). Have people had their pockets picked? Sure. Sounds like you are familiar with all the appropriate methodologies.

Gaudi, Picasso, seafood, sheeesh...I wanna go back.

Oh, and if you really care, you can bag Andorra in a day trip for a passport stamp that not everyone has.

Cheers

Mark

I'll be staying in Barcelona for a few days post cruise in May and I am SO excited. Sure, I'm worried about the crime, but I've also traveled and/or lived in NYC, Chicago, LA, New Orleans, Hong Kong, Bangkok, London and Paris -- all with their share of crime... and I enjoyed myself fully in each of those cities. Actually, while being vigilant about my cross-body wallet-type purse on a Metro train in Paris, I noticed and thwarted a nervy pickpocket --who was face-to-face with me! -- trying to gain access to my purse.

I used TripAdvisor to select our hotel, and I found lots of lovely reviews -- I guess our own perspectives on staying in Barcelona colored our impressions of those reviews.

My senior parents stayed in Barcelona for a week a few years ago and fell in absolute LOVE with it (and really hadn't expected to; though their philosophy that "if you're not having fun, it's your own fault" probably didn't hurt).

Financialgirl is right -- a lot of places that are beyond enjoyable to visit have a reputation for high crime rates. Just be smart and vigilant and enjoy the historic cities and the sites, smellls, sounds and tastes they offer.

One of my Rough Guides starts its intro to Barcelona this way: "It's tempting to say that there's nowhere quite like Barcelona -- there's certainly not another city in Spain to touch it for sheer style, looks or energy. The glossy mags and travel press dwell enthusiastically on its outrageous architecture, designer shopping, hip bars and vibrant cultural scene, but Barcelona is more than just this year's fad. It's a confident, progressive city, one that is tirelessly self-renewing while preserving all that's best about its past."

I think it's important to remember the positive while being conscientious about the negative... I think you want to go so badly to Paris (which is totally understandable!) that you're trying to compare Barcelona to it, and since you're just not as interested in Barcelona, your excitment just can't get there. Remember: there is a reason so many cruises go to Barcelona, and it isn't just because of its port facilities... it's because SO many people want to go there! And while I'd hesitate to suggest that so many people can't go wrong, you have to admit that there must be something attracting them!

My suggestion, which it sounds like you're already doing, is to do some more research about Barcelona's sights, culture and history, and see if you don't find your excitement rising just a bit. :cool:

Best of luck and bon voyage!

... I think you want to go so badly to Paris (which is totally understandable!) that you're trying to compare Barcelona to it, and since you're just not as interested in Barcelona, your excitment just can't get there. Remember: there is a reason so many cruises go to Barcelona, and it isn't just because of its port facilities... it's because SO many people want to go there! And while I'd hesitate to suggest that so many people can't go wrong, you have to admit that there must be something attracting them!

My suggestion, which it sounds like you're already doing, is to do some more research about Barcelona's sights, culture and history, and see if you don't find your excitement rising just a bit. :cool:

Best of luck and bon voyage!

You are absolutely correct. My heart is set on Paris, and if I am not able to make it there, Barcelona is definately second choice. I am going to try to learn as much as I can, so that I can get excited about visiting Barcelona. I have already ordered a few books about Barcelona from Amazon, so that I can educate myself on the city and the culture.

Going on a Mediterranean cruise in 2011. First time to Europe. My first choice for a pre-cruise stay would be Paris, but if that doesn't work out (due to work/budgetary reasons) we may stay a few days before the cruise in Barcelona (boarding cruise ship there). I'm just not so convinced?? From the reports read on trip advisor on even the best hotels (Ritz Carlton included) it just seems like a really sketchy place, w/ loads of crime, and not very American friendly. I'd like to hear all the good things from those of you who have been to Barcelona and loved it.

My first thought was, you think Paris is "American friendly"?

We stayed in Barcelona two nights pre-cruise last August; had a wonderful time. Stayed at the Hotel Regina - one block off Las Ramblas -- very clean -- excellent breakfast -- excellent service. No problems at all. We walked from our hotel to the Beach, my DH took the Aerial Tram over the port/beach area. We took the HoHo bus (stop is right across from the hotel) and wandered Las Ramblas day and night.

Review of cruise posted in the Review Section (Tomko2)

Photos in the link below.

Enjoy!!!!

Kathy:)

You are absolutely correct. My heart is set on Paris, and if I am not able to make it there, Barcelona is definately second choice. I am going to try to learn as much as I can, so that I can get excited about visiting Barcelona. I have already ordered a few books about Barcelona from Amazon, so that I can educate myself on the city and the culture.

That's the spirit! And I'm sure there's other better examples out there, but the movie "Vicky Christina Barcelona" really does feature Barcelona and its surrounds as a character itself... love or hate the movie, I'd think it'd at least whet your appetite.

Actually, I'd say that it is. Last time I spent any appreciable time there, Parisians were exceptionally friendly (at least to those in my party, who endeavored greatly to respect their culture, and who were pretty obviously enjoying just about every aspect of the city -- two traits to virtually guarantee the locals of any area will like you!)... and they were unexpectedly helpful and solicitous to us Americans, and this was even during the exceptionally anti-French, ridiculous "Freedom Fries" period in our recent history when they had plenty of reason to treat us with scorn.

I have no idea where you got the idea that Barcelona is not

"American" friendly? I was there in October and just loved it!

There is no dangerous crime , just some pickpockets who look to take advantage of folks who are clueless about their surroundings!! We had no probs at all but then we (2 senior ladies) are street smart and aware of things around us.

We loved the architecture, museums, food, ambiance, weather etc. etc. The city reminded me a bit of San Francisco with its hills rolling down to the sea and its unique neighborhoods each with a slightly different fee.:p

In total agreement. We were there in September of '09., for 2- day pre-cruise. Loved everywhere we went on the cruise(Florence, Rome,Pisa,etc). If given the chance to return, we will spend our time in and around Barcelona. Great diversity of sights, great food, friendly people. As mentioned just be as aware as you'd be in any big city in the States, and you'll be fine. Barcelona is magnificent- don't miss it.

There's no comparison between Paris and Barcelona. The former is one of the most magnificent cities in the world, and the latter, just in my humble opinion, is a nice place to visit and spend a couple of days prior to a cruise. We were in BCN last month doing just that. The weather was great, we enjoyed seeing the city, had good food, but the city never "grabbed" us as someplace we'd want to go back to. Can't say the same about Paris.

As for the stereotypes about Parisians being unfriendly to Americans, my spouse and I are Americans who don't speak French and no one in Paris was unfriendly to us. (We spent a week there several years ago, during the Dubya days.) Quite the contrary, people were universally nice and helpful whenever we asked for directions, etc. I'd go back to Paris in a minute. Can't say the same about Barcelona. Just my personal reaction....

Don't know where to begin with OP. Paris is a wonderful city (my wife's favorite city in the world) and we would never pass-up an opportunity to spend a few days (or a week) in Paris. As to Barcelona, it is also a wonderful city that is very tourist friendly with more than it's share of sites and a few decent day trip possibilities. Paris and Barcelona are not exactly next door to each other, so we are wondering how you plan to do Paris pre-cruise and than go to Barcelona. If you plan on flying between Paris and Barcelona you need to consider it can take an hour to get out to CDG and than you have to go through the usual airport hassles...not to mention that the European skies are crowded and flight delays are not unusal. There are some good trains, but European trains are not cheap on this kind of run. As to the crime issue in Barcelona, we have been to that city about a dozen times and have never had a crime problem. Sure, there are pickpockets in Barcelona (mostly gypsies) but there are also pickpockets in Paris (a friend had her wallet stolen from her purse right in the Eiffel Tower) and every other European city that is popular with tourists. After more than 40 years of international travel are only personal problems with pickpockets were in Arles, FRance; Istanbul; and Bologna, Italy (we foiled all the attempts). My recommendation would be to extend your trip and spend a few days in both Paris and Barcelona :)

Hank

Don't know where to begin with OP. Paris is a wonderful city (my wife's favorite city in the world) and we would never pass-up an opportunity to spend a few days (or a week) in Paris. As to Barcelona, it is also a wonderful city that is very tourist friendly with more than it's share of sites and a few decent day trip possibilities. Paris and Barcelona are not exactly next door to each other, so we are wondering how you plan to do Paris pre-cruise and than go to Barcelona. If you plan on flying between Paris and Barcelona you need to consider it can take an hour to get out to CDG and than you have to go through the usual airport hassles...not to mention that the European skies are crowded and flight delays are not unusal. There are some good trains, but European trains are not cheap on this kind of run. As to the crime issue in Barcelona, we have been to that city about a dozen times and have never had a crime problem. Sure, there are pickpockets in Barcelona (mostly gypsies) but there are also pickpockets in Paris (a friend had her wallet stolen from her purse right in the Eiffel Tower) and every other European city that is popular with tourists. After more than 40 years of international travel are only personal problems with pickpockets were in Arles, FRance; Istanbul; and Bologna, Italy (we foiled all the attempts). My recommendation would be to extend your trip and spend a few days in both Paris and Barcelona :)

Hank

We would like to leave on a Monday night, spend Tuesday, Weds, Thurs. in Paris. On Friday morning or afternoon fly from Paris to Barcelona. Our cruise leaves on Saturday. Then when the cruise is finished, fly back to the states from Barcelona. This all depends on my husband's work schedule of course. If we can't have at least 2 or 3 whole days in Paris, we'll just fly to Barcelona a few days prior to leaving for our cruise.

My mom has vacationed in France every spring for the past 8 years. She has nad nothing but wonderful experiences. Also, I speak the language which will help. I was fortunate enough to go to a school that started teaching us French in the 5th grade, and I continued to take the language in school until I graduated H.S., as well as taking the language again a bit more in depth in college. So, I am very comfortable speaking the language, which I'm sure will help a bit.

My mom has vacationed in France every spring for the past 8 years. She has nad nothing but wonderful experiences. Also, I speak the language which will help. I was fortunate enough to go to a school that started teaching us French in the 5th grade, and I continued to take the language in school until I graduated H.S., as well as taking the language again a bit more in depth in college. So, I am very comfortable speaking the language, which I'm sure will help a bit.

I love Paris, too, and will return for 3 nights in June. I just thought your comments about Barcelona being unfriendly to Americans, yet really wanting to go to Paris (with the reputation of being rude to Americans) amusing.

I think you don't have priorities straight.. a hotel even a nice one is just going to be where you sleep right :D

As much as I enjoyed Barcelona given a choice I'd pick Paris ( not for the friendly french mind you ) but simply the attractions I'd fill my day with there versus Barcelona can't compare, but that is me!

Is Barcelona the same as Paris? IMO, No.

On the other hand, is Barcelona sketchy, loaded with crime, and not American friendly? Again, No.

Barcelona is a vibrant city with a lot to offer. It has history (walk around the Bari Gotic, the Gothic part of town next to Las Ramblas, and see the Roman ruins under the Cathedral), it has art (Picasso Museum, Miro Museum, Gaudi architecture), it has culture and character and lots of great food.

To the OP: You need to make up your mind to enjoy Barcelona if you're going to visit. In terms of big European cities, it is no more and no less American friendly, sketchy, or loaded with crime than Rome, Paris, or any other city.

If you have your heart set on Paris, make sure that you do have the time to make your dream come true. Nothing's worse than settling for something you don't want....

Ha ha, Nancy- good point! I think Paris is probably the least American Friendly eurpoean city ;)

The term "bull" comes to mind but I will be kind and not use that term. Some might say that Parisians are anti everything non-Parisian (perhaps true) but we certainly have never felt it was the least "American friendly" city. We thing fellow Americans who say this have read too many stories written by paranoid Americans who think everyone should cater to Americans (we are Americans). We have witnessed fellow Americans get loud and angry because a Parisian does not understand English and wondered why a Parisian should understand English! We have seen Americans whine that Parisians are rude (sometimes quite true) without understanding that they are often rude to anything non-Parisian including French from other parts of the country who speak French with a non-Paris accent. I might get flamed for this comment, but 40+ years of international travel has taught me that my fellow countrymen (Americans) are usually the one's who are rude and disrespectful, not the Parisians or Europeans. So my simple words of wisdom are to be respectful, patient, always polite, never loud, and to always act like you are a guest. Understand that there are cultural differences and try to respect those differences. For example, when you are in Paris (or most places in Europe) a waiter will generally never bring a check until you ask. So, if you wait an hour for a lunch check and think the service is lousy, the waiter is actually being very polite. We could write a book about these kind of things but the point is to enjoy the fact that there are cultural differences rather than making judgements.

Hank

Every person I have met that has been to Barcelona has told me what a wonderful and charming city it is.

We are looking forward to our day in Barcelona when we arrive the day before our cruise sets sail.

We have hired a Barcelona Day Tour mini van to take us on a 4 hour tour of the main sights of the city. After that, we plan to explore Las Ramblas and the Gothic area on our own. Our hotel is a block from Placa Catalunya right next to both areas.

The term "bull" comes to mind but I will be kind and not use that term. Some might say that Parisians are anti everything non-Parisian (perhaps true) but we certainly have never felt it was the least "American friendly" city. We thing fellow Americans who say this have read too many stories written by paranoid Americans who think everyone should cater to Americans (we are Americans). We have witnessed fellow Americans get loud and angry because a Parisian does not understand English and wondered why a Parisian should understand English! We have seen Americans whine that Parisians are rude (sometimes quite true) without understanding that they are often rude to anything non-Parisian including French from other parts of the country who speak French with a non-Paris accent. I might get flamed for this comment, but 40+ years of international travel has taught me that my fellow countrymen (Americans) are usually the one's who are rude and disrespectful, not the Parisians or Europeans. So my simple words of wisdom are to be respectful, patient, always polite, never loud, and to always act like you are a guest. Understand that there are cultural differences and try to respect those differences. For example, when you are in Paris (or most places in Europe) a waiter will generally never bring a check until you ask. So, if you wait an hour for a lunch check and think the service is lousy, the waiter is actually being very polite. We could write a book about these kind of things but the point is to enjoy the fact that there are cultural differences rather than making judgements.

Hank

I have been to Rome about 5 times pre cruise, and spent a week in Turkey, Paris and Barcelona--and I am returning to Barcelona for 1 week on March 1. This time I am travelling with a friend that has never been to Europe, so I am so excited to show her the great things I have seen there, like Montjuic, Casa Batllo, Casa Mila, Sagrada Familia, Barceloneta, Parc Guell, Las Ramblas and on & on. Each and every place is wonderful and all for different reasons. I really enjoyed all that you had to say and agree 110%. Thanks for taking the words right out of .... Hank, when I first looked at your screen name I thought it said Hitler--that is probably why Germany was not mentioned :):D

We like Barcelona but I won't spend any time trying to convince you to go. Pick up a few travel books and determine if the city meets your likes. It is as safe as any American city that we have been in only much nicer than many. We travel in Europe frequently. We tend to avoid the large chain hotels in favour of smaller, locally run hotels or pensions. It is unclear to me how staying in a very expensive five star hotel would be safer than a good quality, lesser starred establishment.

Hank

Hear, hear, Hank. Between my parents, who have been traveling internationally over 50 years and myself who's traveled internationally more than 20 years, I agree completely. As a fervently patriotic American (Air Force brat), I wish the "ugly American" phrase could (and I really wish it would) go away completely if more Americans took some time to learn about the cultures of the places they visit, and really try to respect the people's home country they are visiting. Your phrase "act like a guest" says it all.

We like Barcelona but I won't spend any time trying to convince you to go. Pick up a few travel books and determine if the city meets your likes. It is as safe as any American city that we have been in only much nicer than many. We travel in Europe frequently. We tend to avoid the large chain hotels in favour of smaller, locally run hotels or pensions. It is unclear to me how staying in a very expensive five star hotel would be safer than a good quality, lesser starred establishment.

Also well said, iancal. Thanks for your post!

Archived