Help? Cruise that includes Istanbul & Greek history?

Hi All, 78 year old dad wants to include Istanbul in a cruise; and wants Greek history.

Would love to read your tips??

below is a copy of the post we just did in the Greek section, so you can better read our point of view.

THANKS FOR YOUR TIPS!

EVEN BRIEF TIPS, I CAN RESEARCH FROM THERE!

??????????????????????????

Recent Greek Post:

Hi all, we post and cruise the Mexican Riviera lots.

My 78 year old father, that can't walk to great, wants to do Greece, with the ancient greek history.

He thinks that he wants an extensive touring. I think a nice sampling would be great.

He envisions a small ship to get to the great spots. Seems he didn't like the ginormous ships in an Amsterdam to Moscow cruise; and all the tendering.

1. Is there an advantage to porting in a small ship? (not the case in the mexican riviera)

2. he has mentioned that he would like to visit Istanbul and Venice (yeah right, small ship to those distant areas)

Anyway. I know that I can find the best tours for him in this forum!

Gotta start planning, because spring time may be the call?

What are the best cruises/lines this spring?

Maybe 2 - 7 day cruises?

Best way to get from Los Angeles to there? A great tour company (heard Louis is nice?)

What do youall pros think?

???

Thanks in advance !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pic below taken in Cabo San Lucas last week

IMG_8730b.jpg

As I noted on the Greece Board to you, it's all great history in that area!!! How can you go wrong with Venice, Athens, Corinth, Turkish Coast, Istanbul, etc., etc.???? You would probably be looking at a seven-day cruise as a minimum. Ten days or more would be even better. I would fly into one main city and out of another in order to maximize your logistics. It depends on your budget and what ALL you want to cover and see. We did a seven-day, Athens to Istanbul cruise in 2006 that was wonderful. We combined added time in Athens and Istanbul before and after the actual cruising portions of the trip. How flexible is your budget? What type of cruise lines have you used in the past? On the smaller, more costly cruise lines, the staff is better able to be helpful to those in need of added aid due to age or health issues.

Below is a sample from some more of my photos for what can be discovered in these areas. Then, there is Venice and all of Italy. It's history at the best in this Med region!!! What are your questions and/or reactions?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Hagia Sophia, the former patriarchal basilica, later mosque, now a museum in Istanbul:

1A-Istbul-Hagia-Sophia1.jpg

Istanbul’s famed Blue Mosque:

1A-Istanbul-BlueMosque.jpg

Outside of new mid 1800’s Palace used by Sultans in Istanbul:

1A-Istbul-NewPalaceOutside.jpg

Looking downhill towards the library and other ruins from when Ephesus was Rome's capital of Asia Minor:

EphRuinsLongShot.jpg

We enjoyed a night concert in front of the historic library at Ephesus:

NightLibrary.jpg

At Bodrum along the Turkish Coast, here's a religious tower and view of the town in background:

MintTower.jpg

I'd also add that if premium or luxury cruising isn't cost prohibitive for your father, lines such as the new Voyages To Antiquity (http://us.voyagestoantiquity.com/), Regent Seven Seas Cruises (http://www.rssc.com/) or Windstar (http://www.windstarcruises.com/) might be good options.

I have never sailed Voyages to Antiquity (though I'm mighty intrigued... I gotta save some money and get on one of those, I think).

I have sailed Windstar (which I love... and will be cruising again in April), which has very small ships and can get into those itty bitty ports -- and often they'll have a local expert on board to teach/advise about the local areas. Windstar's ships are TINY (their big one holds 312 passengers, the smaller two only accomodate 148 pax), and they do itineraries to the Greek Islands (many that the big ships can't get into) and they also go to Istanbul and Venice frequently.

I cruised Regent for the first time last year, and it was fantastic -- they had MANY experts (archeologist, anthropologist, historian, etc.) and gave lectures every day, often about the history or geography or culture of the local area. It was FASCINATING. It made the local areas come alive. What was also nice was that they videotaped the lectures and you could watch them on your in-room TV, so if there was something you missed, you could catch it later. Their ships aren't as small as Windstar, but still smaller than the mega ships. The ships are big enough that they probably could hold well more than 1000 pax, but they have huge suites and lots of space per passenger; their ships hold 400-700 passengers. They also have several Mediterranean itineraries that include Greece, Venice and Istanbul (not necessarily all of them in one cruise, however). I will warn you that the pricing you'll see listed for Regent is quite high -- do be aware that Regent is all-inclusive (can get free airfare, this year and next they're offering free excursions, plus drinks including alcoholic beverages and dining in their specialty restaurants are all included). Also, it is sometimes possible to get the cruises cheaper (talk to your TA).

I'm like your dad in that I'm interested in the history stuff, too... so interesting!

Best of luck!

Oh, I will add that the Regent and Windstar cruises I've been on did have some tendering, so that may still be an issue. Both of these lines do have slightly older demographic (doesn't bother me even though I'm in my 30s!), so there is lots of assistance for walking-impaired persons... but he still will have to have some mobility to tender, obviously. Not sure what all accomodations they can make -- something to ask the cruiselines (or have your TA look into that).

Thomson Celebration- ex HAL Noordam- is repositioning to Marmaris in Turkey, and sailing a series of 7 night cruises which can be back to back. She sails up the coast to Istanbul, then Canakkale and Kusadasi (Ephesus), Athens and Crete; or from Kusadasi to Santorini and Rhodes....etc.

Thomson's offer flights from about 15 UK airports, so if you could get across the pond, you'd be in their hands from the airport, because they have their own planes.

The price is usually very reasonable; drinks cheap (although AI can be bought); all tips are included. Although this is an older, small ship, the service is excellent, and the entertainment 2nd to none (UK cruise polls).

It is, however, a very British ship, and there will be few from other countries on board, which may be a little off-putting.

jocap.

We sailed on Oceania for our first-ever cruise on its Istanbul to Athens itinerary. We had three history lectures from a guest speaker, a British professor on Ephesus, Classical Age Greece and Olympia, a really great preparation for our visits.

Oceania is a great line with just 684 passengers max, excellent food, great beds, no assigned dining times, no formal nights. We are sailing with them for a third cruise late next month. We love the port-intensive itinieraries.

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey

.. I'm booked the Celebrity Equinox because it stays OVERNITE in ISTANBUL.And a day in Ephesus. And it goes to Athens, Santorini and Mykanos.. And Naples( where I plan to go to Pompeii)..

..Oh . starts in Rome.

I think Mykanos and Santorini might be tendered but the others not..

I believe that they may have other cruises that go from Venice to Istanbul.. not sure tho..

Hey

.. I'm booked the Celebrity Equinox because it stays OVERNITE in ISTANBUL.And a day in Ephesus. And it goes to Athens, Santorini and Mykanos.. And Naples( where I plan to go to Pompeii)..

..Oh . starts in Rome.

I think Mykanos and Santorini might be tendered but the others not..

I believe that they may have other cruises that go from Venice to Istanbul.. not sure tho..

Congratulations! Lots of great ports with super history. Below are a few visual previews for what you can enjoy in Athens and Mykonos. Will try to post more later on Rome and Naples.

Make sure you fly in early enough to Rome to allow for BOTH recovering from your long air trip/jet lag AND to see and enjoy this great, but busy and noisy city.

On Acropolis hill in Athens with our very knowledgeable private guide who helps us appreciate all of the history and architectural details there:

OnAcrop.jpg

Outdoor dining in the Athens Plaka. Lots of music and fun, plus good food:

PlakaDining.jpg

From the Parthenon, a view of Athens and another temple:

AcrHillView3.jpg

Narrow flowered street in Mykonos with its many shops:

1A-Myk-FlowerStreet.jpg

Harbor view in Mykonos and one of the charming windmills:

1A-Mykonos-Harbor.jpg

At the fish docks in Mykonos:

1A-Myk-FishDock.jpg

Congratulations! Lots of great ports with super history. Below are a few visual previews for what you can enjoy in Athens and Mykonos. Will try to post more later on Rome and Naples.

Make sure you fly in early enough to Rome to allow for BOTH recovering from your long air trip/jet lag AND to see and enjoy this great, but busy and noisy city.

On Acropolis hill in Athens with our very knowledgeable private guide who helps us appreciate all of the history and architectural details there:

OnAcrop.jpg

Outdoor dining in the Athens Plaka. Lots of music and fun, plus good food:

PlakaDining.jpg

From the Parthenon, a view of Athens and another temple:

AcrHillView3.jpg

Narrow flowered street in Mykonos with its many shops:

1A-Myk-FlowerStreet.jpg

Harbor view in Mykonos and one of the charming windmills:

1A-Mykonos-Harbor.jpg

At the fish docks in Mykonos:

1A-Myk-FishDock.jpg

Terry

Very impressive picture quality. Are you doing anything special, or just good quality lens, and taking at high res?

Terry, Very impressive picture quality. Are you doing anything special, or just good quality lens, and taking at high res?

THANKS for the super kind comments. Most pictures were shot about 3000x2000 pixel or 2.4 mb size. Not that much really "high res". Then they were uploaded to Photobucket at about 1000x700. Here are my reactions, tips, etc.

Photo secrets? It's a little more than just the "camera". It's a Nikon D50 SLR. Good, but not at the super pro level. Lots of people have cameras at and near that quality or comparable. These days, the digital technology has improved so much that nearly everyone can take good to great pictures. Here are some of my tips, secrets and suggestions to share. I found taking cruise and travel pictures is fun, plus much, much cheaper than shopping for souvenirs.

1. ZOOM/FRAMING: Fill the frame and make it interesting. Use your feet. Move closer. Zoom in or out. Make it tighter in the picture frame, etc. People don't want to be bored with a key subject or highlight being only in the middle 15% of the picture frame.

2. LENS: Many of the nice pictures in certain famed palaces and churches in Russia, etc., were taken with a new 10-20 mm lens that gives a wider angle view than average. That really helped create some picture "drama" without being too wide and distorted as can happen with a fish-eye lens. There are cases where that longer lens (have a 70-300 mm zoom) can really help. In many cases, my basic 18-55 mm zoom covers the middle range. It's nice to have one lens that covers all needs, but then you lose some in the desired picture quality.

3. LOTS OF PICTURES: With digital, it is much easier and cheaper to take lots of pictures, see what you have, take more pictures, try different angles, etc. In the old 35 mm film days, you could not take as many different pictures and you were always guessing and hoping on exposure, what you really captured, etc. Then you need to be checking as you go on what you just shot, blow off the duds, etc. It's great instant feed-back on what's working and what's not. As you are riding on a bus, waiting in line, that picture checking is a good way to both pass the time and monitor your picture progress/success (or failure).

4. STEADY HOLD: I mostly use the eyepiece viewer, not the back of camera viewing screen. That keeps the camera closer to my body and makes it more stable. Use your elbows against your body to brace the camera. I'll lean against walls or doorframes when taking certain inside pictures in low light situations to improve . . . stability! You don't want blurred and shaky pictures. Set the camera on walls, chairs, etc. Stability! Some think that if they push the button faster to take the picture, then it will be better. WRONG! Gently S-Q-U-E-E-Z-E that shutter button, slowly! It makes a major difference in picture quality.

5. PEOPLE: Having people as a part of the picture gives it context, interest, etc. Lots of "just the place" pictures are nice, but I have found that the ones with some human involvement and/or connection look and work better.

What are your questions and reactions?

Appreciate the interest and comments. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Photo secrets?

Terry in Ohio

LOL -- Terry, have you heard about the painter and photographer who had studios next to each other? One slow day, the painter wandered into the photographer's studio, looked over all the pictures, and then said, "These are great pictures. You must have a really good camera!"

Well, the photog said nothing. But a couple of days later he wandered into the painter's studio. He looked over all the paintings, and then said, "What great pictures!! You must have a really good paintbrush ....."

:D

LOL -- Terry, have you heard about the painter and photographer who had studios next to each other? One slow day, the painter wandered into the photographer's studio, looked over all the pictures, and then said, "These are great pictures. You must have a really good camera!" Well, the photog said nothing. But a couple of days later he wandered into the painter's studio. He looked over all the paintings, and then said, "What great pictures!! You must have a really good paintbrush ....."

THANKS, Mike! Super great and fun story. True, also. Just like a race driver or football quarterback, the car or football are important, but you have to know what to do with it. Practice, practice, practice makes a big difference. The more pictures you shoot, the more you check them, learn from your mistakes and so-so visuals, then the better ultimate picture results you get. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Olkakers - I'm not surprised you haven't sailed on Voyages to Antiquity. They are making their maiden voyage in May! I just booked on August. I have become quite friendly with someone at the line because I have called a million times checking everything out before booking. Prices are not unreasonable for what is included (cruise line excursions in all the ports). Quite a few of their sailings don't have single supplements so those are particularly affordable. And of course if you go with the basic interior even more affordable. Some of them I saw interiors for singles were $3500 for the 14 days and that is WITH air from some of the eastern seaboard gateways. My gateway is Philly so included in most of the sailings I checked. So a single could go for as little as $3500 with air, cruise, cruise line's excursions. And it's all about the history - not like a megaship that drops you off at a port - they have guest lecturers, etc. Guess I'm just excited - sorry for the long post.

Yep, I'm aware that Voyages To Antiquity hasn't sailed yet... I was just trying to make it clear that I had not sailed them so other readers would realize that I was not giving an endorsement based on experience.

You are very lucky to be sailing them! I would love to try them some day; I won't have a chance to do that this year, I don't think, so I only hope those prices stick around a while, and are not just introductory/recession prices! :)

Olkakers - I'm not surprised you haven't sailed on Voyages to Antiquity. They are making their maiden voyage in May! I just booked on August. I have become quite friendly with someone at the line because I have called a million times checking everything out before booking. Prices are not unreasonable for what is included (cruise line excursions in all the ports). Quite a few of their sailings don't have single supplements so those are particularly affordable. And of course if you go with the basic interior even more affordable. Some of them I saw interiors for singles were $3500 for the 14 days and that is WITH air from some of the eastern seaboard gateways. My gateway is Philly so included in most of the sailings I checked. So a single could go for as little as $3500 with air, cruise, cruise line's excursions. And it's all about the history - not like a megaship that drops you off at a port - they have guest lecturers, etc. Guess I'm just excited - sorry for the long post.

I've just put a deposit on their last cruise of the season (November); it has a great itinerary and some really off-the-beaten-path stops like Syria and Lebanon. Like you, I found the "no single supplement" to be a huge incentive to try them. I figure the cost, including airfare, will be about the same as my upcoming 12-day HAL cruise + private tours WITHOUT airfare -- a great deal. I doubt those good prices will stick around.

Please report on your experiences in August, either on this board or on the "Other Cruise Lines" board. I'd love to hear the details before my sailing. :)

Archived