Noordam suite & ship questions

crazee4cruzin

Are the Deluxe Veranda suites worth the extra $$$? Also, the balconies, I see that they are completely covered, unlike Princess' mini-suites, is there a fair amount of sun on the balconies?

Ship questions: Do the pools get extremely crowded during at sea days? What type of activities are there during the cruise? Does Holland have a coffee card?

We are looking for any additional information to help us make a decision.

Thank you!

We just love the deluxe suites and book them whenever we can, but it depends on the price difference. Sometimes it is just too much IMO.

One note - being in a suite will spoil you forever!

AS to the pools - on HAL we generally do not find crowded conditions. I think it has to do with the average age factor. We did a Carnival cruise and the pool was packed!

DaveOKC

We love the port side "SA" Suites and think they are well worth the cost. Only you know if it is worth the price for you. You probably have read the list of amenities that accrue with being in one of those cabins and they do make our cruises more special....especially having access to the Neptune Lounge. There are tons of posts re: Suite amenities and Neptune Lounge that you may have already read so I won't go into them again.

Depending upon the course we are sailing, we often have morning sun and love breakfast on our veranda both in port and at sea.

DH is a real pool lover and never has a problem getting a lounge at aft pool. He doesn't rush out there first thing but takes his time and goes when he wants and always has a lounger.

Noordam is a gorgeous ship and being the fourth in the series of Vista Class ships, HAL really got it very right with her. Little mistakes they may have made on her earlier sisters were corrected on Noordam and she is fabulous IMO .... a very beautiful ship and the one on which we are making our next booking.

Right now HAL is still selling a coffee card for $29.90 that is good for 10 specialty coffee drinks in the Explorations Cafe, but "any day now" they are expected to be replaced with a "universal beverage card" that can be used for coffees, wine, soda, or cocktails. The details are unannounced at this time.

We also always book an SA -- and definitely feel that they are worth the money.

I can not take a lot of sun -- so do appreciate the fact that they are covered.

But there times when the verandah will be completely in the sun -- depends on the direction the ship is going.

Should you decide to book a Deluxe Suite, you may not need to purchase a coffee card. You will have access to the wonderful coffee machine in the Neptune Lounge, which includes cappuccino.

HAL coffee is brewed fresh in all venues. It is not the "syrup" coffee offered on Princess.

We go to Explorations Cafe for iced coffee for me. I love a really chilled tall black iced coffee in the Caribbean. Can't get that in Neptune Lounge....but I do really love that coffee machine. :)

Should you decide to book a Deluxe Suite, you may not need to purchase a coffee card. You will have access to the wonderful coffee machine in the Neptune Lounge, which includes cappuccino.

HAL coffee is brewed fresh in all venues. It is not the "syrup" coffee offered on Princess.

I was unaware of the coffee machine in the Neptune lounge....thank you!:)

in the Neptune Lge for the coffee machine?...or do you show your Suite card?

On Vista and Signature Class ships, Neptune Lounge doors are locked and you need key card to enter. On "S" and "R" Class ships, (fewer suites) concierges know everyone in Suites and recognize all the suite guests right away from their embarkation photos.

You might also look at the SB and SC category suites at the stern of the Noordam. The rooms are a bit smaller than the other suites and they are farther from the Neptune Lounge, BUT the verandah's are much, much larger and wrap around the ship. Since a portion is covered, and another portion is uncovered there is generally some part in the sun or shade most of the time. These photos were taken on the Westerdam, another Vista Class ship.

598652717_VerandahleavingMiami.jpg.d4413cbd1cbf4e5b40d50eefb7c1e0c3.jpg

1398950304_SideVerandah7151.jpg.6aba08cdbc042d6870354a9ee62beb30.jpg

• 11 months later...

Highly recommend the deluxe suites. We'll have one on our upcoming Maasdam cruise and we're really looking forward to it. After a series of deluxe suites I got a case of the cheaps on our previous cruise and booked a cat B. :o Nice cabin but it won't happen again. :)

I have to agree with Randy, KK & Sail,

we love the deluxe verandah suites. I suggested to dh that we could go 'down' - our friends had the superior verandha and he said no.

so it's still deluxe for now for us. I love the Neptune Lounge, the concierge and the help. The coffee machine is great and the munchies and the concierge can just about do everything for you - whether it be reservations, shore excursions, cash travelers cheques, whatever.

also wifi is there and just a nice relaxing spot.

I know, a lot people go to the Lido - we really enjoy the space and pace on our balcony and the room. have a great cruise :):)

Thanks again. We are looking into a cruise in November. We want to try Holland. We have had mini-suites on Princess 3 times. The Deluxe seems to be in the same line, maybe better, than the Princess Mini-suite. I posted a thread on the general posting area about the weather in November for the Caribbean. We are concerned that it might rain too much. Does anyone have any Mid-November to mid-December Caribbean sailing experiences to share? Any input would be great!

We are concerned that it might rain too much. Does anyone have any Mid-November to mid-December Caribbean sailing experiences to share? Any input would be great!
I can't speak for November, but we've been on five eary-to-mid December Caribbean cruises (East, West, and South) and the only significant rain that I recall was on Dominca, and that didn't last but a couple of hours. We had some light drizzle and grey skies on St Lucia. I'd say Dec in the Carib is much like Dec in Orlando, but warmer! :)

We are concerned that it might rain too much. Does anyone have any Mid-November to mid-December Caribbean sailing experiences to share? Any input would be great!

We were on a mid-November cruise this year and it was unseasonably cold with rough seas. On a previous November sailing, it was exactly the opposite. Weather cannot be predicted when booking a cruise so you just have to take whatever Mother Nature doles out. Our cruise this past November was still most enjoyable and adventurous! :)

On Zuiderdam 10 Sunfarer cruise this past December 13, unseasonably cool (50 with cold breeze the day we hit HMC). Upside was that Panama and Costa Rica were not humid and hot. I think everywhere has been cold this year. I agree with previous poster, you never know what kind of weather you're going to experience, but we enjoy being on the cruise regardless of weather.

Have a super cruise!

Archived