Plastic or Glass? What the latest on souvenir "glasses"?

I got a couple of those really nice blue spiral glass souvenir glasses on the Explorer four years ago. They make create dessert dishes. We use them all the time. I haven't seen any mention of anything of that sort during the past 2 months of monitoring this board. Did they do away with them? If so, did they replace them with anything of lasting nature, or is it just colorful plastic hurricane glasses (like we got on NCL)?

I got a couple of those really nice blue spiral glass souvenir glasses on the Explorer four years ago. They make create dessert dishes. We use them all the time. I haven't seen any mention of anything of that sort during the past 2 months of monitoring this board. Did they do away with them? If so, did they replace them with anything of lasting nature, or is it just colorful plastic hurricane glasses (like we got on NCL)?

dessert dishes? Blue Swirl? Are you referring to the Sloozie glasses you get at the pool bar with a margarita in them? Then yes, they still have them. The new flashing glasses are a nicer plastic with logo (but not multicolored). And they have a RCI plastic funnel glass with flashing C & A on it. They've updated the love cups, they're now clear glass with a colored base (one of mine broke in my luggage home). I never buy the drink of the day so from a distance I can't tell if they're in plastic hurricane glasses or nicer glass ones.

I love the blue swirl margarita type glasses and have several, in yellow, orange, and green. Never thought to use them for dessert. I like that the logo is glass also.

I hate the plastic ones and see no reason to collect them, I'm all about glass...lol

p.s. haven't been cruising for awhile so no help in the "do they still have that" department.

They do still have them! They also have a lot of new styles. I may have missed it in the past, but this year they were selling the glasses on the Promenade towards the end of my cruise. I appreciated this, b/c we aren't big drinkers, but liked that we could buy a couple of glasses at a reduced price to bring home with us.

Don't like the new blinkies, like my old multicolored one better and the new ones do not have 3 modes, just no blink and blink. The old ones do that plus slow blink mode.

I liked the metal shot glasses but never got any.

You can still buy the sloozies, at any bar, just gotta ask for them. I bought a whole set of 5 colors in a box at one time 2 years ago. Still in lime, cherri, blue, yellow and orange. Wish they'd add purple and maybe white swirls. New wine and martini commerative glasses as well with etched logo.

On the AOS in December the drink of the day was served in a plastic souvenir glass. They had glass souvenir glasses for sale on the promenade.

I prefer the plastic ones as they are much easier to bring home for people like myself who have to fly.

I have only ever seen them in blue ... if they come in other colors, I'm probably going to get a little obsessive about trying to collect them all. After all, I have some OBC to spend, and somehow that's not like real money anyway.

Here's hoping I was successful in attaching a picture ...

RC_Glass.jpg.b46b9dd6d5ae2590a2d0333eaf7865f5.jpg

Here's the new design...I don't like it very much, it has a silkscreened design on it, and it doesn't have that swirly glass look of the old ones (I have 9 green ones, one for each cruise!)

Guess I'll have to adjust!:) By the way, I went to EVERY bar on the Navigator in Feb. and no one had the old ones.

IMG_9202.jpg

I have only ever seen them in blue ... if they come in other colors, I'm probably going to get a little obsessive about trying to collect them all. After all, I have some OBC to spend, and somehow that's not like real money anyway.

Here's hoping I was successful in attaching a picture ...

I use mine for M&M's... I think they're all blue, only the swirl comes in different colors.

My DW and I love the Hurricane and the Martini glasses. Most cost a dollar or two over the drink price. But, we got most of them for FREE.

We love the Schooner Bar, and usually we find a great server, remember their name, and ask for them specifically for the entire cruise. Generally by the end of the cruise they will offer free glasses! Same in the main dining room. Plus you may see both at the pool during the day.

There's nothing better than an adult beverage after a long day of excursions.

Enjoy! :D

They are the first dessert bowl we grab when making an ice cream sundae ... just the right size!

Thanks for the Pic IBookHePays. I showed it to my DD and she thinks they look fun. Now we have another mission ... we need at least 2 or them .... maybe 4.

I have only ever seen them in blue ... if they come in other colors, I'm probably going to get a little obsessive about trying to collect them all.

the rims and bases are all blue, but the color "swirl" changes...you showed a pic of the green one...my favorite!

Thanks for the Pic IBookHePays. I showed it to my DD and she thinks they look fun. Now we have another mission ... we need at least 2 or them .... maybe 4.

You're welcome...but why stop at 4?!:D

Great screen name, btw! I am obsessed with Wicked these days...hmmm and you have the GREEN glass...;):)

the rims and bases are all blue, but the color "swirl" changes...you showed a pic of the green one...my favorite!

Ah! I guess I just focus on blue as being the main color. When people talk of other colors, I thought they meant the rim and base.

You're welcome...but why stop at 4?!:D

Great screen name, btw! I am obsessed with Wicked these days...hmmm and you have the GREEN glass...;):)

The more I get, the more I have to store ... and my kitchen cupboards seemed to have shrunk since I moved in here. I simply don't understand it.

As for the screen name -- "There's no place like home" ... but that doesn't mean I don't look forward to living a fantasy for a week and heading off for someplace magical ... like Oz, or perhaps even the Serenade!

Love these glasses. They also work great for putting mixed nuts out during a party, or making larger sized shrimp cocktails at home for my husband and I. I do like the new design, but I think the old design is a little classier. Sometimes you see people ordering drinks in these and then leaving the glasses at the table. We saw this a lot on our last cruise. I guess they had too many of the DOD and then forgot to keep the glasses.

• 1 month later...
Here's the new design...I don't like it very much, it has a silkscreened design on it, and it doesn't have that swirly glass look of the old ones (I have 9 green ones, one for each cruise!)

Guess I'll have to adjust!:) By the way, I went to EVERY bar on the Navigator in Feb. and no one had the old ones.

IMG_9202.jpg

Warning! :mad: The above photo is what the glasses look like when you buy them. the photo below is what they look like after a trip through the dishwasher.

4585295221_97e47de6fc.jpg

Warning! :mad: The above photo is what the glasses look like when you buy them. the photo below is what they look like after a trip through the dishwasher.

4585295221_97e47de6fc.jpg

Whoops!:eek:

OK, folks, now try not to laugh, but I never knew you could take the GLASS ones. I thought the only "souvenier" glasses you could take were the plastic ones (which I can live without so either ask for the drink without them or just leave them). Not like I'm a RCCL virgin - we're Diamond - but I had no idea you could take the glasses home.

But, seriously, how do you know what you can take? Are they supposed to tell you? Planning to start working on a collection soon.

But, seriously, how do you know what you can take? Are they supposed to tell you? Planning to start working on a collection soon.

You can take anything that fits into your suitcase.:eek:

Just kidding. Just ask and they will let you know.

You must ask for the cocktail/drink you order in the "Sluzzy" glasses and you will be charged accordingly and take the glass home. They are not free...technically.;) I bought the complete set, red, green, yellow, orange and blue and had them pack them in the original box so I wouldn't break them. I paid for the set but not an awfully lot...just don't remember its been so long. They have them on a table on the promenande usually the first day. I have always handwashed them...boy am I glad! Thanks for the heads up. It just never occurred to me to run them through the dishwasher, I'll be sure to remember that! Just went to check this out and noted the colored swirls are indeed painted with what looks like enamel on the outside of the glass...wow, shocker. They are still pretty though even without the stripe.

We have 2 sets of the "old" ones and use them for desserts or shrimp cocktail. We also have 2 sets of the metal after dinner drink mini cups.

Last week on Freedom we saw the new Sloozy glasses and I don't think they were as impressive as the old ones. We also got 2 sets of the new after drink cups. They are glass with the different colored bases. There are 7 cups for 7 nights, each a different color.

We don't do a lot of after dinner drinks, but I think these are perfect for Bailey's or the like. I enjoy collecting them and putting them on my hutch.

Archived