Travel agent would not sell us Azamara

Redtravel

We were at a cruise only travel agent last weekend looking for a future cruise. The agent recommended Oceania, but bad mouthed Azamara. She said that they have become second class...and she will not book Azamara for her clients because she knows that they will not be happy. I'm on the Journey April 1...now I am a bit concerned. I did not book that cruise with this agent. I booked with Azamara direct. I know that travel agents are not always honest. They often push the lines that will give them the most commission. After weighing the cruise options that were shown to us, we decided not to cruise and book a land tour. The agent was very mad when I told her that we were doing a land trip ( she only books cruises). She slammed the receiver down when I called her. The agent has booked us on many cruises over the last 20 years. She has always been helpful and knowledgeable. Her recent attitude really turns me off. Next cruise will not be booked with that agent.

I would not worry ..go with an open mind

If you cancel now you lose so just go and enjoy

If there is a problem talk to those in charge when the problem occurs.

Enjoy the cruise

Since I was part of the travel/hospitality industry for a very long time..

I can say this...

When an agent starts singing a different song very quickly it usually means

the commission structure changed,

their cruise benefits changed,

they've switched consortiums who have better relationships with other vendors

(I remember when Princess stopped offering 20 dollars a day to agents...you should've of heard the revolt)

They won't bad mouth specific people because of slander, But they will tear apart a company.

The change is significant, so they don't mind burning the proverbial bridge.

the problems is ...

they don't have to tell you any of this and if you ask them directly it will be denied

Redtravel, you need to block all of this negativity out.

You know what you paid for your cruise, if there are any problems address them while on board immediatly don't stew about it and more importantly don't go looking for problems..just because you;ve read stuff on this board!!!!!

I'm sure you will have a wonderful time!!!

We were at a cruise only travel agent last weekend looking for a future cruise. The agent recommended Oceania, but bad mouthed Azamara. She said that they have become second class...and she will not book Azamara for her clients because she knows that they will not be happy. I'm on the Journey April 1...now I am a bit concerned. I did not book that cruise with this agent. I booked with Azamara direct. I know that travel agents are not always honest. They often push the lines that will give them the most commission. After weighing the cruise options that were shown to us, we decided not to cruise and book a land tour. The agent was very mad when I told her that we were doing a land trip ( she only books cruises). She slammed the receiver down when I called her. The agent has booked us on many cruises over the last 20 years. She has always been helpful and knowledgeable. Her recent attitude really turns me off. Next cruise will not be booked with that agent.

Hi Redtravel !

For the most part, I agree with the comments on this thread. TA's often have reasons to sell one product over another. I feel that most TA's will do the right thing for their clients. However, like any commission based business, some will go where they can make the most money.

You should have asked her how many times she personally has sailed with them. With the events you described in your post, if I were in your shoes, I would not use this TA next time around.

As for Azamara, I remain confident you will have a great time. Please try not to worry. Just go, and Enjoy your Cruise !

Redtravel,

Although we had some concern about the changes we have seen in the condition of the ship (none of them dealbreakers), we had a fantastic time on the Journey this winter. The staff was wonderful, the food was just fine and prepared the way we wanted it. Nothing was too salty. If we told a waiter that we wanted to be at a show at a particular time, our service was punctual. When we share a table with another couple, we enjoy spending the evening dining rather than seeing a show. That, to us, is one of the more enjoyable parts of travel. We had no problem getting Prime C and Aqualina reservations.

We were served coffee in the morning at the buffet. Or we grabbed a cup on our way in. And a waiter was always walking around refilling both decaf and regular. Plates were cleared.

Our towels were huge, dense, and perfect. We asked the butler to make the bed up with a blanket rather than the duvet and this was done quickly.

Our fellow passengers were congenial. No loud complainers were heard on our cruise.

There's no reason to believe that you won't have a good time.

Then again sometimes agents get a lot of negative feed back & just stop selling a particular vendor nothing to do with commissions.

When I was working I would not book a specific tour operator not because they had lower commission structure (it was the same as other vendors) because their product sucked.

Agreed - I am sure they are agents that do this, but if your agent knows you well, she may have reason for this. Most agents I know just would not push one cruise over another because of commission unless they are really sure their clients would not be happy. Would be really bad for business in the long run.

When I was working I would not book a specific tour operator not because they had lower commission structure (it was the same as other vendors) because their product sucked.

When I worked for Larry at Classic Hawaii..

We carried mostly high end properties...

but we did have a few bargain basement properties...

There are ways to sell or not sell a dump of hotel, a cruise line, etc etc

and do it professionally

You NEVER bad mouth them (you could be fired by that)

...you steer the client away...

sometimes clients want a place to crash for 2 nights and the Outrigger Maile Sky Court or Hobron fit the bill...before they headed off to Maui for the Grand Wailea...I would at least upsell them to the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani ...it wasn't as dumpy, but most importantly they paid more commission!!!!

a sale is money...

the only time you burn a bridge this significantly

means there is no money in it for you.

Also, about commission structures, you can include incentives in there too...

Here's one example....

I was awarded free nights at certain 5 star properties the more I sold...for example if you wanted the Ritz Carlton..by the time I was done with you...you would be at the Four Seasons!!!!

I would never say anything bad about the Ritz Carlton, but I would ooze with all the features and benefits of Four Seasons.

beside 3 months later the Ritz Carlton might offer the same promotion and believe me ...you would then be staying at the Ritz Carlton...if you or your agent could be swayed!!!!

my swaying capabilities were very good and I was top producer in the company for several years....

There a tricks to every trade.

For Redtravel and everyone else...

I just want all of you to trust your own instincts...

Listen to what is said, but reflect back on the cost of your cruise, know what will bother or not bother you (everyone has their own barometer)

If you have a concern onboard handle it then...

If people are complaining, remove yourself from the conversation...

it becomes a group mentality and what was a small snowball of a issue is now an avalanche!!!!!

I'm amazed the OP's TA couldn't (wouldn't?) work with them on a land tour.

My TA was a cruise only TA for many years. Now she is part of a consortium and sells land tours also.

Not only that, if I find a land tour I want to take not part of the consortium, she still picks up the phone and books it for me. She gets the commission, it is easy money for her and she shows her appreciation by giving me perks.

Win-win all around

Redtravel:

As you know we are also booked on the very same cruise. Our TA booked it not only for us but she also booked the same cruise for her and her DH. She is not concerned at all about booking Azamara and is looking forward to the cruise.

Our TA booked it not only for us but she also booked the same cruise for her and her DH. She is not concerned at all about booking Azamara and is looking forward to the cruise.
Our TA also didn't get the memo to bad-mouth or boycott Azamara. She was part of the invited guests that were brought on-board earlier in the year to help Azamara redesign their new product. She remains a vibrant supporter of Azamara - but not to the exclusion of other cruise lines. In fact, we booked Oceania & Azamara cruises with her. She did no trash talking at all. :p:p

We'll be sailing Journey right after you. We're somewhat concerned by the recent spate of negative comments about Azamara, but we'll reserve judgment & form our own impressions based on our own experience. In the end, our opinion matters most to us. And only our opinion will determine whether we return to Azamara.

The agent recommended Oceania, but bad mouthed Azamara. She said that they have become second class...and she will not book Azamara for her clients because she knows that they will not be happy.

After weighing the cruise options that were shown to us, we decided not to cruise and book a land tour. The agent was very mad when I told her that we were doing a land trip ( she only books cruises). She slammed the receiver down when I called her. The agent has booked us on many cruises over the last 20 years. She has always been helpful and knowledgeable. Her recent attitude really turns me off. Next cruise will not be booked with that agent.

It sounds like she has some "issues" that have nothing to do with you. I wouldn't be dealing with anyone who was that unprofessional.

We were on Quest last month and it was our best cruise ever. This is from someone who is very opinionated. And yes, I will expect more in the future if rates are being doubled. Azamara has created their own problem with this big hype that is going to old guests in addition to new prospective guests.

[/color][/size]

When I worked for Larry at Classic Hawaii..

We carried mostly high end properties...

but we did have a few bargain basement properties...

There are ways to sell or not sell a dump of hotel, a cruise line, etc etc

and do it professionally

You NEVER bad mouth them (you could be fired by that)

...you steer the client away...

I never said I bad mouthed any tour operator ...we simply told the client we did not deal with that tour operator & gave alternate vacation packages if they wanted to choose one of those

They were happy to deal with us

I commend CC for allowing TAs to post on these boards since they often are able to provide much useful information to members. At the same time, this policy can, on rare occasions, lead to apparent conflicts of interest and other ethical issues. CC and the Hosts have been very quick and fair in dealing with these situations and, I believe, have done so after careful consideration and examination of the facts and circumstances. I think most regulars on this board will understand what I am referring to.

Thanks for all the input. Having sailed previously on Azamara, I have no real problems. I am looking forward to April 1st. The TA certainly has issues. My guess is that she gets more $$$ from other lines. She was boasting about how she would not be in her office today since she had been invited to see the new Marina, Oceania's new ship. Makes sense, invited by Oceania to sell them instead of Azamara. Thinking back on our conversation Saturday, several things that she said weren't making sense. When we told her that we were interested in a riverboat, she lured us away saying that they are too strenuous...lots of long deary walking tours. Also, most of the riverboat cruises that we liked were almost fully booked. I used to think the TA was knowledgeable and honest....not now. I will not use that TA again. I did not give that TA the land tour booking. I booked directly with a reputable company that I have used previously.

That TA acted very unprofessionally, she was supposed to help you determine what line would best suit YOU not HER!!:mad:

I am booked on the Quest in April for 24 days and can hardly wait, I am betting you will have a good time too!

Good thing you booked your land tour with someone else, please don't think all agents act this way :o

Years ago my husband was friends with a woman who was a TA for a still major national agency. She told us that YOU are your best travel agent. YOU are willing to spend more time researching your trip than any TA . Since that time, I research my trips from shopping prices both online and off, direct and indirect. I look at all websites to find best plane schedules and fares. Many TA will just book a trip without looking out for the clients best interest. I've used many TAs over the years. Usually they are good for the 1st few trips. They want to earn your trust. Some TAs really don't work for you after those bookings. They think that they have you and will go along. Some also treat the clients as ignorant. I've seen my share of very good and also bad. Last TA used to be good. She did flips for us years ago...even went to the airport to change our tickets...or so she said...not sure I believe that now. Anyway, she really did provide a useful service years ago. In the days before internet, TAs were providing information that was hard to get by other means. Not anymore. Having done my research heavily for 2 days prior to consulting with the TA, I knew we were being fed a pack of lies. My husband who didn't spend time researching (somebody has to work to pay for the fun), believed the TA. He was also ready to book a trip with her....even though it wasn't what he really wanted to do. He claimed that after the time we spent with her, he owed her a booking. I strongly disagreed. Since the TA did not present us with the trip that we booked, I felt no obligation to give her our business. I also will not use that TA again. My husband said that he will feel uncomfortable if he bumps into the TA again. I really don't care what the TA thinks. I know that I think the TA is bad. On a bright note, I do use a great TA who only books a small group of hotels in St. Martin.

RedTravel: We just got off the Journey March 8th. I posted a review on the CC board as well as on my blog. If you hadn't read it, take a peek.

This was our very first with Az and although a good cruise, there were a few things we were not impressed with. Does that mean Az is no longer good? Heck no, it just means we have and our sharing an opinion.

I think our biggest beef is how the new guy, Mr Pimental, is advertising all these supposed changes with a new higher income demographic. We are very easy going and really don't complain about much. Our biggest complaint was the cold baked potato! (no one needs to comment or flame on this)

The Journey is a very nice ship, well kept with a great staff. Anyone can find something wrong.

You're gonna have a great time!!!!

Redtravel - riverboats "long dreary walking tours"?! - we have taken two river cruises, one on the Danube and one thru southern France - I like the walking tours thru the towns where the ship docks. Most are included in the base fare - that is one thing about river cruises that is better than the big boats - unless all you want to do is stay on the boat or shop near the dock. Not sure how much TA's handle the rive ships tho - we have always booked direct.

• 3 weeks later...

Red,

There are good reply's here for you. I agree that there are good and bad TA's and these day's most are only interested in $$$ and not the client. A few years ago we were in a similar situation with our TA at that time. She went from being helpful and friendly to a nightmare to work with (not sure what happened). We were about ready to book our then trip directly with the cruise line when a friend referred us to his travel agent whom he had worked with for over 4 years. We called her and she was great! We have worked with her ever since (7years now). When she can we get upgrades, great rates and perks. Our last trip on Azamara last year was great she was able to get us upgraded to a Suite from a Balcony and found out that one of her other clients went from a Suite to the Penthouse. She is happy to get you references as to her work if you request it.

Like you we do alot of research ourselves and what we can't find or do she does it for us. Bottom line, don't give up on the TA there are still alot of good one out there.

Tess & Jeff.

Here's our email if you have any questions:

tmyq@aol.com

Gee, this somehow rings a bell. I think I read about a TA suddenly giving Azamara the old "heave-ho" on another thread. I wonder what's going on ($$)?

I would bet it is because they give them no discount fares or perks...I want substantiation if they are going to make a claim that a cruise line is now "second class" ...why are they considered that, based on that I would make my decision. However, as soon as hearing that judgemental attitude I would have been turned off...I am sure there would have been a much less offensive way to get their point across.

Archived