Diappointing World Cruise News

larry1365

Thank you for post -- it was enlightening. Still, considering what you said, when will Regent cruisers learn the reason for Capt. Dag leaving the WC before the end?

Regent is a business and has the right to run the business as they see fit. Yes, we are guests and will only stay guests if we are satisfied with Regent's services but, it is not incumbent on Regent to provide reasons for personel decisions be them from the person themselves or from the company.

Should Regent choose to inform guests of the reasons for Capt. Dag's leaving of the ship in Cape Town, consider it a bonus. Who knows, the reason might be personal and subject to HIPPA regulations which most of us know as unreasonable withholding of information to relatives and reasonable withholding of information to others.

In other words, it really is none of our business and possibly illegal for Regent to divulge. So, consider it a plus if Regent informs us of the reasons but, don't expect to be informed.

Regent is a business and has the right to run the business as they see fit. Yes, we are guests and will only stay guests if we are satisfied with Regent's services but, it is not incumbent on Regent to provide reasons for personel decisions be them from the person themselves or from the company.

Should Regent choose to inform guests of the reasons for Capt. Dag's leaving of the ship in Cape Town, consider it a bonus. Who knows, the reason might be personal and subject to HIPPA regulations which most of us know as unreasonable withholding of information to relatives and reasonable withholding of information to others.

In other words, it really is none of our business and possibly illegal for Regent to divulge. So, consider it a plus if Regent informs us of the reasons but, don't expect to be informed.

HIPPA? Sorry, but your post was quite funny. Let me give you the "formal" definition of HIPPA:

sdef_definition.gif - HIPAA is the United States Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996. There are two sections to the Act. HIPAA Title I deals with protecting health insurance coverage for people who lose or change jobs. HIPAA Title II includes an administrative simplification section which deals with the standardization of healthcare-related information systems. In the information technology industries, this section is what most people mean when they refer to HIPAA. HIPAA establishes mandatory regulations that require extensive changes to the way that health providers conduct business.

Just didn't want this situation convulated any more than it already is. What you are probably referring to is the fact that Human Resources will not reveal the reason for an employee going on LOA (leave of absence) or the reason for a person leaving the company. I don't think anyone knows if that is applicable in this situation.

Just didn't want this situation convulated any more than it already is. What you are probably referring to is the fact that Human Resources will not reveal the reason for an employee going on LOA (leave of absence) or the reason for a person leaving the company. I don't think anyone knows if that is applicable in this situation.

Agree we shouldn't convolute this any more than it already is. tc, you are partially correct. And I agree with what you said but, there is more; should something be physically wrong with Capt. Dag (and I'm not saying, implying or anything else that anything is wrong with him) no one is allowed to provide health information about that person per HIPPA.

So, I remain steadfast that we may never find out why Capt. Dag is leaving the ship in Cape Town or even if he is leaving until the new Captain is in charge. That was the point of my post, to not expect any announcement by Regent and to not blame Regent for the lack of an announcement.

Thanks Marcie for addiing something I should have.

Hopefully this is the end to my original posted thread.

Host Dan are you listening?....If you can't end it, could you at least correct my spelliing error in the thread title? I couldn't figure out how to do it. Thanks.

Thanks Marcie for addiing something I should have.

Hopefully this is the end to my original posted thread.

Host Dan are you listening?....If you can't end it, could you at least correct my spelliing error in the thread title? I couldn't figure out how to do it. Thanks.

This is an interesting thread. I get a sense of the whole "WC cruisers versus the Segmenters mentality" in Marcie's post. You think I can't form a bond with people over a two week period in close quarters?

And Larry, I have really enjoyed reading your blog of the WC and living it vicariously, but with all due respect to a fine gentleman, to start a thread and now ask for the Host to "end it" after it takes on a life of its own? Maybe you should have typed out that opening and emailed it to yourself, gone to dinner and then read it.

Sir, I mean no disrespect.

And I apologize if I ruffled feathers by saying it was an 'Italian Capt.' That was the quote given to me. I asked if it was Capt Romeo, the only name I knew as I am not in the cult of the captain group, and was told no. Didn't mean to do anything more than add information.

This is an interesting thread. I get a sense of the whole "WC cruisers versus the Segmenters mentality" in Marcie's post. You think I can't form a bond with people over a two week period in close quarters?

And Larry, I have really enjoyed reading your blog of the WC and living it vicariously, but with all due respect to a fine gentleman, to start a thread and now ask for the Host to "end it" after it takes on a life of its own? Maybe you should have typed out that opening and emailed it to yourself, gone to dinner and then read it.

Sir, I mean no disrespect.

Cruisebugbit...Thanks for the kind words on the WC blog. It has been fun and I am glad you are enjoying it.

I only asked that the thread be ended beacuse it seemed to be delving into all sorts other issues and taking off in different directions...such as HIPPA, company human relations policies, etc. A subsequent thread that my initial posting spawned was taken down...I assume because it violated CC rules re: personal attacks (not about me, but others).

I agree with you about writing drafts and then sitting on them for awhile. It is a good practice. However, with the intermittent satellite service and slow transmission speeds we have been experiencing on this side of the world...you upload when you can. I think I'll just stick to my own blog for time being.

Cheers.

Don't worry about it Larry. The Regent board has become increasingly weird over the last year. This thread being just one more example. I may stick to sailing only with Crystal just to avoid having to keep up with the posts here, he says on only half jest.

I only asked that the thread be ended beacuse it seemed to be delving into all sorts other issues and taking off in different directions...such as HIPPA, company human relations policies, etc. A subsequent thread that my initial posting spawned was taken down...I assume because it violated CC rules re: personal attacks (not about me, but others).

When you started this thread (at the same time I started another one), I did a post asking to either combine the threads or take one down. To my knowledge, there was no violation of CC rules on that one. There does seem to be many strong opinions on this subject. Do hope that you will let all of us know if there is an announcement made when Mark Conroy gets on board.

When we were on Mariner in Jan/Feb 2008, on a segment of the Latin American cruise, the Captains switched in Buenos Aires - Captain Alfredo Romeo "its me from the Bridge" left and Capt Philippe Delavaux arrived. I don't see any difference from this procedure on the Latin American cruise vs the World Cruise... People need their leave, if that is where Dag is going, and people change jobs, if that is what he is doing. So why fuss?

IMO there are much more serious things to fuss over - the weather, the food, the champagne (or not?)

Well said Larry, why do people get so bent out of shape? Had to spend a couple of days in hospital. Capt. Dag came down and set up a TV in my room. What Captain on any other line would do that? Now if anyone wants to take a shot at me for saying that it will take Host Dan all of 5 seconds to delete this tread.

Warren - I do not for a moment want to suggest that Captain Dag is anything other than an entirely competent, caring, and charming skipper. He is all of those "c"-things and more. What I had meant to say, obviously inartfully, in my earlier post was that I could not quite understand why passengers would be "angry" about the matter, rather than merely "disappointed". I comprehend fully the latter but do not grasp the former.

Wishing you fair seas (without evil pirates). Cheers, Fred

Well said Larry, why do people get so bent out of shape? Had to spend a couple of days in hospital. Capt. Dag came down and set up a TV in my room. What Captain on any other line would do that? Now if anyone wants to take a shot at me for saying that it will take Host Dan all of 5 seconds to delete this tread.

WC (sorry, I forgot your first name :p).....thanks for the laugh: when I quickly read this post I thought it said Capt. Dag came in and set up an EYE-VEE not a TEE-VEE in your room!! I thought, "wow, that is the superlative of full service! :eek:

Cruisebugbit...Thanks for the kind words on the WC blog. It has been fun and I am glad you are enjoying it.

I agree with you about writing drafts and then sitting on them for awhile. It is a good practice. However, with the intermittent satellite service and slow transmission speeds we have been experiencing on this side of the world...you upload when you can. I think I'll just stick to my own blog for time being.

Cheers.

Larry

I can understand your concern regarding the direction of the thread. Things do get a bit weird here, regardless of the topic.

We do enjoy your postings.

Still enjoying your blog. I've been sharing your adventures with my wife (as we have a vested interest in the adventures of the Voyager and her passengers and crew) and am inspired to do the same for our upcoming Mediterranean cruise. Although I'll probably just share it with family. I recently posted some pictures of our recent South Africa trip using Picasa based on your suggestion on your blog homepage. You're right, it is very easy.

We look forward to reading about the upcoming South Africa segment of your WC.

Cheers and smooth seas.

I know that we will know "the rest of the story" soon (after today's Townhall Meeting on the Voyager). IMO, it is still odd that, in addition to Capt. Dag's sudden "vacation" in the middle of the WC, that the Norway itinerary has been dropped for next year. At this point, I'm just following the clues and will see if my conclusions were right or wrong.:confused:

I know that we will know "the rest of the story" soon (after today's Townhall Meeting on the Voyager). IMO, it is still odd that, in addition to Capt. Dag's sudden "vacation" in the middle of the WC, that the Norway itinerary has been dropped for next year. At this point, I'm just following the clues and will see if my conclusions were right or wrong.:confused:

Take a look at http://2010voyagerworldcruise.shutterfly.com/299 which is Larry McCracken's blog on the World Cruise with info on the Town Hall as well as his private meeting with Mark Conroy. Not a lot of info but, Mark told Larry that they now have to stricktly adhere to a 3 month on and off for Captain Dag and that is why he is leaving in Cape Town. Nothing about retiring, sick, leaving Regent, just a mandatory vacation that has to be taken after 3 months on board. :D:)

Hopefully more to come from others.

Thanks for the info. Now I'm only wondering why they dropped Norway for 2011:confused:

As a previous Song of Flower aficionado (many of Dag's fans date back to this era, when with only 180 guests he knew everybody on board) I have to say that we were hoping he might be leaving to join Seabourn, which is our newer favourite. Many of Seabourn's captains are Norwegian, and Dag is particularly good with a smaller group of passengers. However, it is probably not so!! Time will tell.

Couple of things here: First, I'm sure those on the boards get sick of us Song of Flower nuts talking about how great the ship, Dag, the crew and fellow passengers were! But the fact of the matter is that the Song of Flower was/is the Gold Standard. Simply the best! (had to say it!). Next on Norway being dropped: I talked to Regent a few days ago and the agent I work with told me that in his opinion it is a economic decision. He said the cruise will not sail full---not really close the way he looks at it now. He said, like every business, the P/L is evaluated on a regular basis. Makes sense to me. However, having taken that cruise I can say that the itinerary is wonderful. Surprised there is not great, ongoing demand.

Longhorn1: Wish we had been on Song of Flower. She must really have been something very special.

I was not aware that the Norway itineraries were not running full. I noticed that there will not be a Discovery Collection next year either. We were on a leg of it last year. Although it was wonderful, the ship was not close to full. It is easier to understand Regent changing itineraries due to economics. . . . we just do not want to see the "luxury experience" downgraded.

Just a couple of years ago, Regent would put you up in a hotel if they could not get you to the port in time for embarkation. Apparently this too has pretty much gone away -- only used as a last resort. Instead, you are put on a red-eye flight. This would not have a person arrive at their destination feeling like they are about to have a 6 star cruising experience. While this change is not a deal breaker for us (we'll just deviate), I would much rather have the fare cut a bit and charge us "cost" for the flights -- with no credit for opting out. This could potentially save Regent a few bucks.

Some of you may recall how Regent went out to their customers to learn what we want in a "new ship". Unfortunately, that ship has been put on the back burner. It would be nice to see them ask the opinions of their passengers on how they can save money and still provide the experience we all expect.

Okay -- I'm off my soapbox. . . at least for now.

... Next on Norway being dropped ... However, having taken that cruise I can say that the itinerary is wonderful. Surprised there is not great, ongoing demand.

But this itinerary was always priced at a premium, at least it seemed so. So not too surprising that they can't sell it.

Archived