Weight Gain on HAL

Berk987

What is the most weight anyone will admit to gaining on a cruise?

Nov 2009 on the Westerdam my sister and I weighed ourselves right after the ship left FLL and again on our last night I gained exactly 5 lbs and my sister 1.5. Haven't lost it yet (4 months later) which means I have to lose at least 10-12 lbs before our Dec 2010 Niew Amsterdam trip or else I won't fit in my "formal" dress.

We eat like we do at home, just returned from the Eurodam, 7 day cruise. Did not gain any weight.

We had breakfast in our cabin, a sandwich and chips with a beer for lunch and a couple of drinks and a normal dinner. We only have a bite of dessert, if we have any at all.

We don't go for the food.

Went to the gym for 1.5 hour work out every day, same as we do at home.

Not sure if I should even tell but 11lbs. :eek: It was a 11 day Caribbean cruise. Thankfully I got rid of it within a month.

Those breakfasts are just so good. I cannot help myself. And those nachos with condiments... I don't even like sweet foods so I don't eat desserts but still I manage to gain weigh on each and every cruise.

We actually lose weight on a cruise. Typically we like port intensive cruises and get off the ship and walk a lot more than we do at home. I'd also say we don't eat a lot more than we do when we're home. We're not three meal a day people and usually only eat two meals a day. Same on a cruise. Just because the food is there we don't feel compelled to eat it all. :D

If you're not careful and you like to go to the Lido, you can easily consume a day's worth (or more) of calories just at breakfast! The Lido is too tempting.

Those tropical drinks also pack on the pounds.

If you're not careful and you like to go to the Lido, you can easily consume a day's worth (or more) of calories just at breakfast! The Lido is too tempting.

Those tropical drinks also pack on the pounds.

I agree 100%. That's why I always gain so much weight. And Lido lunch is also a bad thing. What to take this time? Asian, pizza, sandwich, salad??? Well a bit of all... :o

The most was 3 pounds on a 2-week cruise. I don't deprive myself while on a cruise, but make a real effort to be as active as possible. We walk a lot in ports, or do more active excursions. On the ship we try to walk 3-4 miles every day on the deck, take the stairs, and hit the gym too.

One time I actually lost about 5 pounds but that was because we were in Europe for a week pre-cruise and were walking up to 10 miles/day. :eek:

We've been lucky and have both lost weight when we have cruised!

We eat a bit more than normal, but walking around the ship, swimming, activities and walking in ports are much more calorie burning than sitting at a desk 8 hours a day!

Great responses all. I figure I only get to cruise once a year since our young kids are still in school so I try a bit of everything and don't eat anything I can cook at home. Plus I don't work out at home so I'm not going to work out on vacation. I did consider it for a moment but that was fleeting....For a petite woman, I can eat like a giant size man which kinds of scares my husband but heck I'm only 114 lbs so that's not a big deal. On the MDR I usually order 2 appetizer, 1 or 2 mains and a dessert and I can finish it all plus whatever my kids don't finish off their plates. I hate to waste food. I think the waiters are surprised when I order so much. One time I ordered 3 appetizers and ate it all up. YUM. I'll try and get back to 105 before our Dec cruise then I can "bulk" up again- HA.:)

Didn't gain any on weight on my last cruise on the Zuiderdam. Surprisingly enough because every time I walked past the dessert station on the Lido I'd grab a cookie. It may have helped that I was seasick the night of the evening dessert extravaganza and unable to eat anything. I'd say we eat more than we do at home on a cruise but we walked all over the ship and around the ports before or after shore excursions.

What is the most weight anyone will admit to gaining on a cruise?

Nov 2009 on the Westerdam my sister and I weighed ourselves right after the ship left FLL and again on our last night I gained exactly 5 lbs and my sister 1.5. Haven't lost it yet (4 months later) which means I have to lose at least 10-12 lbs before our Dec 2010 Niew Amsterdam trip or else I won't fit in my "formal" dress.

I usually lose 15lbs on a cruise, too busy dancing and bar hopping;)

Usually gain 3 to 6 lbs. And I always get my daily 3 miles/45 min. on the treadmill. My weight also bounces around at home. At home we never eat but twice a day with our last meal about 3PM. Been able to stay in the normal weight range for 'most' of my lifetime. ;)

Okay - you weight losers are just rubbing it in!!!

I've said this on another thread - 12 pounds in an 8 day cruise. I was pretty impressed with myself.

And it's funny because I eat BETTER food. Meaning - not junk food. Usually pretty healthy food. I just eat so much of it on a cruise. I can't help myself. :p

On my 67 day cruise I only gained 3 pounds! I was thrilled because I ate everything I wanted and about did in the ice cream station!!! I expected to gain a lot more because I was way down in weight when I started.

I also vowed to use the stairs.....and in 67 days I never set foot in an elevator! I am sure that helped!

On my 67 day cruise I only gained 3 pounds! I was thrilled because I ate everything I wanted and about did in the ice cream station!!! I expected to gain a lot more because I was way down in weight when I started.

I also vowed to use the stairs.....and in 67 days I never set foot in an elevator! I am sure that helped!

I'm sure it not only helped, it must be some kind of record among grand voyagers! :)

I gain a few pounds but lose it quickly once we are home. In fact, I am convinced that a lot of it is fluid retention due to the extra salt we are exposed to when travelling. I use salt very sparingly at home and we are not used to it.

As much as possible we use the stairs--except when I am wearing high heels at night. I use the treadmill only if the seas are calm as I find it very difficult to manage a treadmill in rough seas. Afternoon laps around the deck help as well.

If only those cookies weren't always sitting in the Lido ready to jump into my hand as I walk by.:eek:

Archived