tipping on cabin room service?

ShipOFools

been on a few cruises recently and we have one coming up in the Med on Princess this June- but we have never had room service for meals. I forsee however, that due to very early port arrival and the desire to get going right away, we will want breakfast delivered. Is it protocol to tip each delivery? I assume when the ship says complimenatary room service there is NO 15% surcharge added like for beverages.....

All the food, juices, coffee are all free -- no 15% gratuity added to room service.

But most people will tip a couple of dollars for breakfast. Some if they order room service for dinner will tip $10 as it is a larger meal.

The person delivering your meal will appreciate the tip.

Two dollar bills are not easily recognized and can't be spent in many areas.

I bring lots of ones and fives, put them into an envelope and tape it inside one of our closet doors so the tip is "handy" (especially if they come earlier than expected in the morning;)). They are always in a rush so we like to have the tip right when they come in. They REALLY appreciate that tip (and earn it, those trays can be heavy).

I agree it is not a good idea to use denominations of money for tips. Crew can have difficulty using it. Some places will not recognize a $2 as legitimate and those who get the $1 coins present less convenience, as well. You cannot exchange coins and again, some places may not accept them..... and they're heaving to carry in any number.

Use good old $1, $5, $10 etc bills and know your steward doesn't have a hassle using them.

$2 bills are not reconized overseas as being valid US $. Also don't give coins.

I give $2 to $3 for a continental breakfast and $5 to $10 for a full meal depending on how much has been ordered.

I have the money out and ready to give as these waiters move quickly. Remember to clear a landing place for the tray.

Thanks. The reason I asked is in conversations with people I had met this year in person was :othat they didn't tip for ship room service which I felt a little odd....

I read some excerpts from the book Cruise ship confidential. That was the experiences of an American waiter working on Carnival ships. He says that as a waiter, of course he shared in the service charge (or whatever Carnival calls the automatic daily tips.) He also had to spend parts of some shifts delivering room service meals. Therefore, on a Carnival ship it would seem that the room service waiters share in the tips. There are cruisers here that insist that on other lines the room service guys are dedicated to running room service, and do not share in the tips. Maybe your friend is convinced the room service guys share in the tip pool?

Heck, I don't know, and I don't care. I tip if I use room service. My vacation time is too precious to agonize over it.

KAYEF- Thanks so much for this wonderful idea. I find myself constantly going in and out of the safe to retrieve a couple of dollars to tip. With your suggestion, the envelope taped to one of the closet doors sounds fantastic. I will try that on my upcoming cruise. Thanks again.

When we order RS, we always tip and it is so niceto see the look on their face, as they truly are glad to receive it. :)

Thanks. The reason I asked is in conversations with people I had met this year in person was :othat they didn't tip for ship room service which I felt a little odd....

Perhaps it's because the Berlitz Guide to cruising says "No. It's part of normal onboard duties that the hotel staff are paid to carry out."- page 23, Berlitz 2010. People who are new to cruising will look in this book for answers to their questions, and accept what is said.

Jo.

Archived