do some oceanview rooms have windows that open?

gerry48

hello,

On a carnival valor review on this site I saw some room pictures posted and I can swear I saw an open porthole window in an oceanview room.

do some ships have windows that open?

that would be awesome so you could save on a balcony and still get fresh air!:)

I've never seen any oceanview cabin windows that open.

Being able to open veranda door is one of the big benefits aside from view etc..... the ability to get fresh air.

Some Holland America has some ships where they removed the sealed windows on the outside cabins on the promenade deck and replaced them with glass doors that open out onto the promenade deck. Small expedition ships like Cruise West have cabins with outside cabins on the upper deck with windows that open.

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom ‘81

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCCL - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, Westerdam ‘09 & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ’07

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

Crystal – Serenity ‘09

Some Holland America has some ships where they removed the sealed windows on the outside cabins on the promenade deck and replaced them with glass doors that open out onto the promenade deck. Small expedition ships like Cruise West have cabins with outside cabins on the upper deck with windows that open.

Aunty Pat

Which ships?

I remember in the 1950's, portholes on passenger ships used to open. This was pre-aircon, if they didn't open you'd have fried. Also been on cruise-ships of the '70s where the portholes were clearly designed to open but are now fixed & sealed - and in all cases that's just a couple of decks above the water-line.

515's video kinda makes the point why opening portholes/windows are not always a good idea. :D

John Bull

I've never been on this ship but I have had a cabin with a porthole. I don't know the correct word for it, but the porthole has a metal shutter that you can close. It may make a watertight seal, since the latches that close it are like large screws. At the least it would make one feel safer if the seas were high and the waves were breaking over the window. In the picture it may have looked like the window was open when it was the door to cover the porthole that was open.

I've never been on this ship but I have had a cabin with a porthole. I don't know the correct word for it, but the porthole has a metal shutter that you can close. It may make a watertight seal, since the latches that close it are like large screws. At the least it would make one feel safer if the seas were high and the waves were breaking over the window. In the picture it may have looked like the window was open when it was the door to cover the porthole that was open.

The cover is called a deadlight.

There are some cabins on Carnival's Spirit class ships that have floor to ceiling windows that are like French balconies, and are obstructed view...The windows do open. EM

Archived