Princess Response to Crown 4/03 cruise missed Cozumel

Loggerhead

Don't expect a response. Ships miss ports all the time for one reason or another. The cruise line is not obligated to rebate anything more than the port charges in the form of an OBC. That is it. I wouldn't expect anything more than that.

$5 and change (government taxes)....that's per person was on my statement. They told me since we were not docking we never prepaid any port charges?

Actually, your port charges are paid when you pay for your cruise, they are not billed to you onboard. I have not ever heard of it listed on your statement as government taxes when refunded, but I am going to guess those were your port charges refunded to you. And that is all that Princess will refund you, there will be no other compensation. As said, read your cruise contract where it talks about change of itineary and missed ports, it can be pulled up online at the Princess website and explains it all. Sorry!

Has anyone from the 4/3 crown cruise gotten any rebate or response for missing Cozumel?

We missed two ports on our cruise last year.

We weren't compensated for it.

Nor did we except it.

It's written in their contract

8. RIGHT TO DEVIATE FROM ROUTE, CANCEL ACTIVITIES AND CHANGE OR OMIT PORTS OF CALL.

Except as otherwise provided herein, Carrier may, for any reason, without notice or liability for refund, payment, compensation or credit:

• (A) Deviate from the scheduled ports of call, route and timetable;
  • (B) Call or omit to call at any port or place or cancel or modify any activity on or off the ship for any reason, including but not limited to inclement weather, labor disturbances, or safety reasons in the sole discretion and judgment of the Carrier or ship’s Captain;
  • © Comply with all governmental laws and orders given by governmental authorities;
  • (D) Proceed without pilots, tow or be towed and assist vessels; or
  • (E) Render assistance to preserve life and property.

Has anyone from the 4/3 crown cruise gotten any rebate or response for missing Cozumel?
Not sure what you expect other than a refund of any port taxes. Ships miss ports all the time; that's a known fact and while it's disappointing, there's nothing you can do about it. If Cozumel or any other port is that important to you, then perhaps you should consider a land vacation. Your TA should have explained this to you. Also, reading the Passage Contract would have educated you.

I went to the purser's desk to inquire about the refund of fees:

1. She clearly told us we were refunded government taxes/fees $5 (it's on our statement)

2. She also said since we did not dock, no port fees would be refunded

3. My question is this: are government taxes & port fees two different animals, or one and the same? Does Cozumel only charge $5 per pax like Princess refunded?

On the last 4 times we cruised on Monarch to Bahamas, we missed Coco Cay 3 of the 4 attempts. Ship happens, and this is cruising. We were upset? Sure, but it's out of anyone's control and you are on vacation so don't let it ruin you fun!

I will comment about the winds and leaving Honduras late:

1. Why did Princess remove wind speed info on the TV in the AM while we were leaving Roatan?

2. Normally, we would see wind speed, temp, etc on the TV. The wind speed said something like Five Hands?

3. Anyone else knows what this means or why the actual wind speed was now in code?

Personally, I feel they were trying to avoid a potentially dangerous exit which is smart. The flip side is they waited AS LONG AS THEY COULD, and the conditions did not improve, so they just took the risk and left. Back was up against the wall, and time ran out....

What happens if you dock, and the conditions never improve or worsen...how long do you really think they will stay docked before push comes to shove and they leave b/c time ran out? Sounds like an accident waiting to happen...anyone notice the shipwreck near the dock?

I understand safety, and winds are usually at their calmest early in the morning. Does the cruiseline have a plan B is winds get ugly and you can't get out? Why build such a nice pier but leave off room for error entering and leaving the port under all conditions?

They issued us a refund for the port taxes--$15.60 per person--when we missed Princess Cays on the Crown last month (3/13 sailing).

When we were late getting to St. Thomas on the Sun Princess a few years ago, the captain issued everyone a large onboard credit--$100 per person. I thought that was more than generous since we had planned to stay on the ship that day.

Archived