Pullman Beds - height, width, weight?

We're sharing a suite with my IL's on the Adventure of the Seas. Our family of 4 will be in a bedroom with two twin beds and two pullman beds. One of our children will be 2 and won't be sleeping by herself yet (is my best guess), and my husband is obese. We're trying to figure out where we're going to sleep. Does anyone know how big the pullman beds are, how far off the ground they are, and if there's a weight limit?

(I could put DH and 6 YO on the twins and share a pullman with my 2YO if there's room, and if they're not too far off the ground. Otherwise, I could sleep on the two twins pushed together with both kids and put DH on the pullman, unless he's too heavy for it.

We're sharing a suite with my IL's on the Adventure of the Seas. Our family of 4 will be in a bedroom with two twin beds and two pullman beds. One of our children will be 2 and won't be sleeping by herself yet (is my best guess), and my husband is obese. We're trying to figure out where we're going to sleep. Does anyone know how big the pullman beds are, how far off the ground they are, and if there's a weight limit?

(I could put DH and 6 YO on the twins and share a pullman with my 2YO if there's room, and if they're not too far off the ground. Otherwise, I could sleep on the two twins pushed together with both kids and put DH on the pullman, unless he's too heavy for it.

The child is supposed to be at least 6 before they sleep in a pullman, its a rule. My 5 1/2 year old did it, but they wouldn't book him like that, so I had to play around with the booking. Way too high and dangerous for a 2 year old. It's pretty much at ceiling level, in a recessed area of the ceiling, pretty high, with only a bar at the very top, so a kid could fall out if they are a wild sleeper.

I don't know the weight limit on them, RCCL can probably tell you.

Well, she wouldn't be in it by herself, that's for certain, but based on your description, it doesn't sound like me and her sharing a pullman is a good idea. The 6 YO is a pretty mobile sleeper, so that's also not going to work. Hm, if DH weighs too much to be in one, that leaves me and the 2YO on the floor. yippee.

Well, she wouldn't be in it by herself, that's for certain, but based on your description, it doesn't sound like me and her sharing a pullman is a good idea. The 6 YO is a pretty mobile sleeper, so that's also not going to work. Hm, if DH weighs too much to be in one, that leaves me and the 2YO on the floor. yippee.

How about your DH in one twin, your 6 YO in the other, you in one of the pullmans and the 2 YO in a pack&play? OR - you could have the room steward put one of the pullman mattresses on the floor for the 2 YO each night.

So how about mom, dad and 2 yr old on the king(beds pushed together) and 6 yr old on the pullman mattress on the floor? Another thing you could try is the 6 yr old in the pullman but ask for extra pillows and build up a bumper against the little rail of the pullman. Will keep child towards wall.

I wouldn't worry about it. DH, myself and our 5 yr old DD cruise alot and the sleeping arangements are always different.

Our motto on vaca is that when and where we go to sleep doesn't matter. DH and I are both on the heavy side and never have a problem with DD sleeping with us or one of us will crash on the pull out couch.

No matter what, you will figure it out and have a great time!!!

Putting the pullman mattress on the floor was something i hadn't thought about - that might solve our problem. Or DH will just have to go on a diet between now and our cruise, lol.

(and no crashing on the couch, which will be occupied by MIL's sister.)

And IF ONLY we had a travel agent. This trip is my IL's idea, for their anniversary, and they're not using a travel agent. argh.

Thanks, all!

Putting the pullman mattress on the floor was something i hadn't thought about - that might solve our problem. Or DH will just have to go on a diet between now and our cruise, lol.

(and no crashing on the couch, which will be occupied by MIL's sister.)

And IF ONLY we had a travel agent. This trip is my IL's idea, for their anniversary, and they're not using a travel agent. argh.

Thanks, all!

You might want to consider two rooms instead of a suite so you could get a sofabed. I am not sure, but according to many posters, that extra bedroom in the family suite (if that is what you have) is very tiny. Not sure if the mattress would even fit on the floor.

2 years ago, my 3 yo slept in a pullmen above our bed. she is a mobile sleeper as well, but the bar kept her in, but we did have dolls fall onto us since we were directlt underneath with the twinse together. My 12 month old was in a pack n play squezzed between our beds and the wall, and our beds were against the other wall. We fit snuggly.

It's a Royal Family Suite. It appears from the sketch on their website that the pullman beds are to the side of the twins/queen... but it's REALLY hard to tell much detail from that drawing. If they're actually over the bed and not over just the floor, that might make it easier. Um, if a little more scary for those on the beds, lol. (and choice of room type is out of our hands.)

Or, wait. I've been looking at the larger of the two bedrooms as being the one with the 2 pullman beds... is it the smaller one?

It's a Royal Family Suite. It appears from the sketch on their website that the pullman beds are to the side of the twins/queen... but it's REALLY hard to tell much detail from that drawing. If they're actually over the bed and not over just the floor, that might make it easier. Um, if a little more scary for those on the beds, lol. (and choice of room type is out of our hands.)

Or, wait. I've been looking at the larger of the two bedrooms as being the one with the 2 pullman beds... is it the smaller one?

Yes, it's the smaller one that has the pullmans. The larger one is the master bedroom with master bath attached. It sleeps two. The smaller one is the "kids" bedroom with bath off the suite hallway (not attached to the bedroom). The small bedroom sleeps four with two in pullmans. It's small and cozy, but you can do it if that's what you need to do. You'll probably need to have the lowers pushed together for you, your DH, and your 2-y/o to co-sleep and then have your 6-y/o in one of the pullmans. I don't know if there is enough room to put a pullman mattress on the floor, if you don't want your 6-y/o in the upper.

beachchick

Just be careful if you put your little ones on the pullman, it's quite a ways off the ground. My DS was a teenager and slept on a pullman, one night he was half alseep and disoriented with being in a different place, tried to get out of bed and slipped down the ladder and fell to the floor, thankfully he was not hurt. A good nightlight helps. The mattress on the floor would be a good thing.

wow, OK. I'm glad I know that! Well, I'm glad I know all of this. The small bedroom... hm. I really honestly worry about the pullman with the 6YO. He's a mover. I mean, of epic proportions. Well, I guess we'll figure it out when we get there. Knowing that moving the mattresses might be an option is helpful.

If they're regular twin-size mattresses, we might give it a shot with me and 2YO in one pullman together, her against the wall, me on the outside. If I'm her bedrail, I don't worry about her falling out.

If you put the 6 year old up in the pullman, order extra pillows. Then put the pillows under the bottom sheet along the bedrail side. It will create a bumper to keep the 6 year old towards the wall.

I understand your concern about the pullmans. We have always booked a sofabed instead of pullmans because I don't want my 19 yr old over me. He moves a lot in his sleep too and I don't want him falling on me, he is bigger than I am:eek::D You will be able to make it work somehow then when you book your own cruise, get a sofabed!;)

I would suggest putting the 6YO on the sofa bed in the living room area. That will keep him from falling out of the pullman ;

Or you and your 2YO could share the sofa, and your DH and son could have a "man" cave all to themselves. :-)

There are a LOT of options for 6 people since the RFS is designed for 8.

Aloha,

John

I would suggest putting the 6YO on the sofa bed in the living room area. That will keep him from falling out of the pullman ;

Or you and your 2YO could share the sofa, and your DH and son could have a "man" cave all to themselves. :-)

There are a LOT of options for 6 people since the RFS is designed for 8.

Aloha,

John

Good ideas, but sarahtar mentioned that the living room/sofa is going to be occupied by the MIL's sister.

beachchick

PrincesScuba: So, so helpful. Thank you!!

Yeah, next cruise I book for myself will be much different, lol. Considering that it's been 10 years since our last cruise, it might be another 10 years in the future, though!

And the Suite will be sleeping 7 or 8. (my MIL, FIL, MIL's sister, the 4 of us, plus more than likely an extra kid from the other suite. The other suite will be sleeping my two SILs and their families - a family of 4 and a family of 5.)

Well, I'm more confident now that we'll work it out - you guys are a trove of excellent information - thank you!!

Archived