Pesky Newbie Questions...

joelatchi

My husband and I are cruising for the first time ever on Navigator's 7/7 cruise from Seward to Vancouver. It is a Happy Birthday to me (big 5-0) a year late. We had this booked for last summer, but thanks to some lost naturalization papers and lots of struggles with INS, we had to postpone. Excitement and anxiety all at once now.

We are one of "those" parties who picked Regent for the All Inclusive features. I hate being nickel and dimed for everything along the way. We know we are cruising with kids and that is ok.

As to the Reservation restaurants, Prime 7 and Compass Rose, are we limited as to how often we eat at those venues? Are reservations first come/first serve when reservations open? Which would be better for a birthday celebration as my husband has his actual birthday on the trip?

Secondly, I love the gratuities included part. My husband is a great tipper and I am thinking that not tipping will be hard for him. Are tips accepted? Will we be getting someone into trouble for offering tips?

I booked this cruise rather spontaneously directly through Regent in 2009. The sales agent at the time I booked was um... not really helpful as he didn't return calls, he didn't give us insurance as I had asked. When we realized my husband's naturalization papers were lost in red tape land, I called to find out our options and fortunately that guy was no longer with the company. His manager was quite helpful in getting us booked for 2010.

I'm sure I'll have more questions as time gets closer to the cruise. I have already learned a lot reading this board.

Thanks alot.

Laura

On a 7-day cruise you're entitled one visit to Prime 7. It's the only room that requires reservations on Navigator I believe. Compass Rose is the main dining room, you just walk in whenever you like.

The best way to get a second visit to Prime 7 is to go there early in the cruise, and then request a second visit. But you can also drop by around 6:30 or 7 or whenever and see if there are no-shows. Often there are.

Tipping. If your husband wants to reward someone at the end of the cruise he can do that, or he can reward the staff as a whole by contributing to the crew welfare fund. If he starts trying to tip waiters in the bars or dining room, not good. Or the maitr'd. He will get used to it--it's a feature!

Prime 7 reservations can made on-line 70 days prior to the departure date of your cruise. Reservations tend to fill up quickly. Go to the rssc.com website and go to "My Account" (you will have to set this up if it the first time going to the website). One you access this area, you will be able to make reservations.

Prime 7 would be the perfect spot for a birthday dinner celebration!

In terms of tipping. . . . it is discouraged for many reasons, but, contributing to the crew fund is great!

Enjoy your cruise!

Hi Laura,

I will be on the NAV approximately one month later and have been planning on the excursions etc so let me know if you have any questions.

Also the Alaska board is really helpful. Trust you have already booked your excursions.

Miriam

I'm obviously mixed up on the numbers -- glad my mistake was caught -- need to fix my calendar.

Laura, we will be on the first Alaska cruise of the season on May 26th. I'll be posting live from the Navigator. Hope to be able to answer questions from Alaska cruisers while we're on board.

My husband is a big tipper too, but he enjoys not having to do so on the ship. It was hard for him at first, but I explained that it is already included in the cost of the cruise. He still has been known to give a little something extra to our cabin stewardess a couple of times, but only when her work was truly exceptional.

We too will be on our first Regent cruise in Alaska on 8/25. Two questions: While the ship is open bar we still enjoy a cocktail in the room. Is regent at all strict about BYOB. They will be stocking the mini bar with beer but we are wine/spirit drinkers.

Also, TC2 I noticed on other boards you have mentioned that Alaska may not expose us to the true spirit of the RSSC experience. Could you expand on that comment? Thanks.

Regent will also provide two bottles of spirits (or one spirits and one wine, or two wine) in your suite, but you need to request it of your cabin stewardess and will be provided a form with the selections available.

Regent will also provide two bottles of spirits (or one spirits and one wine, or two wine) in your suite, but you need to request it of your cabin stewardess and will be provided a form with the selections available.

They'll do this even in a catagory F suite?

We too will be on our first Regent cruise in Alaska on 8/25. Two questions: While the ship is open bar we still enjoy a cocktail in the room. Is regent at all strict about BYOB. They will be stocking the mini bar with beer but we are wine/spirit drinkers.

Also, TC2 I noticed on other boards you have mentioned that Alaska may not expose us to the true spirit of the RSSC experience. Could you expand on that comment? Thanks.

It seems that on Alaska cruises there are many more passengers that are new to Regent. On longer cruises (and ones farther away), there is an extremely high percentage of repeat cruisers. Alaska is also a very port intensive itinerary which allows little time to enjoy the ship. Still, it is a wonderful experience. We are doing our second Alaska cruise next month, but it will be a 14 night cruise out of San Francisco on the Navigator. So, I guess that you will get the "new" spirit of the RSSC experience. . . . nothing wrong with that:)

Thanks everyone. Our excursions are indeed booked, tho we did wait list one or 2. It's been great reading the boards for both Regent, Alaska and just general cruise information. I'll make sure my husband reserves his tipping to the crew fund. And I'll look forward to reading reports of those sailing before us.

Thanks to all for the info. TC, I thought the intensive port itinerary may play into your thoughts regarding an alaska cruise vs. a warm weather sojourn. We're in a stern cabin...hoping drydock fixed the well known vibration on Navigator. Would enjoy any comments from those who've spent time near cabin 860 post dry dock.

I was in 856 in January and had no problem with vibration other than the first night. Even that wasn't a real problem - I just knew it was there. After that I never noticed it. The woman in the next suite moved because she couldn't stand it. I would book the same suite again.

They'll do this even in a catagory F suite?

Yes, in any suite. Also remember you can order anything, including cocktails, from room service. Recently we wnt to the pool deck bart (because it was convenient) and ask for a martini to be delivered to my wife in the stateroom/suite. Promtply done with a smile =)

The key on Regent is to ask with a smile and a please/thank you and I can't think of anything you can't get. Enjoy! =)

Yes, in any suite. Also remember you can order anything, including cocktails, from room service. Recently we wnt to the pool deck bart (because it was convenient) and ask for a martini to be delivered to my wife in the stateroom/suite. Promtply done with a smile =)

The key on Regent is to ask with a smile and a please/thank you and I can't think of anything you can't get. Enjoy! =)

Most kind. Thanks! Can't wait to enjoy a level of service above the mainline cruises we have taken.

From two employees on the Mariner this month: any and all tips given to an individual staff member must be turned over to the employee welfare fund and can not be kept by the individual staffer.

In other words, even if you wanted to tip your room steward or Marcel, they are required to hand your tip over to the general fund. And, yes indeed, it is fantastic one is not nickle and dimed on Regent cruises.

To echo several comments above, you not only can select a couple of bottles for you cabin, you can customize your mini bar to match. So ask for Gin and you can also request Tonic and lime wedges as we do for Gin and Tonic. Also coke and lime wedges for a Cuba Libre. So don't forget the specific mixers and garnish. On tipping, I always do a crew fund donation at the front desk and you will almost immediately receive a thank you note from the crew. Finally, we did Alaska on Mariner at a time when it was the only "all country club casual" non-formal itinerary. I think the Alaska experience is such a unique trip that it is difficult to compare against other trips. The Caribbean Islands, Trans Canal, Northern and Southern Europe are focused on Cities and Ports. Alaska is scenery and wildlife and whether you are in port or cruising, something is always happening. You never know when a whale will show up, you will pass a waterfall or other vista. It is one trip when you always want to have your camera ready. So as others stated, the ship is not the focus and it seems that everyone gets lost in their own wonderful experience. You will enjoy it.

Archived