Will soda freeze on flight, STL-MIA

Karlie1

Flying from St Louis May 9th to Miami. My wife drinks diet rite and wanted to bring some in the check bag. Will soda freeze this time if year in the belly of plane.

Thanks Karlie1:)

No, but with the thin materials they make the can's out of these days I sure wouldn't recommend doing it.

REALLY bad idea to put those ultra thin aluminum cans in checked luggage. Aside from wrecking all your clothes if it pops. how many suitcases near yours will also be socked with sticky soda?

Please don't pack cans that are bound to get crushed and pop open and I'm not sure it wouldn't freeze at 35,000 feet in baggage hold.

Find a store on the way to the dock. Miami has more than it's fair share of convenient marts and groceries. Even a CVS or Walgreens has soda.

I am pretty sure they check carry ons as you board and wont allow any food or drinks on the ship. Just sayin...

OP is flying and cannot bring more than 3 ounce liquid on airplane in carryon. Presumably that is why they want to put it in checked baggage.

And I thought I was the only Diet Rite fan out there.

I too would worry about packing it, baggage areas are not pressurized, they do get cold, etc., etc.

Of course, the problem is that you might not have time in Miami to deal with it. I have had success in Miami in going to Purity food markets -- they generally carry it. There are some food delivery services in Orlando, I am not sure that they are available in Miami though. I know I am checking with the Walmart in Fairbanks for our trip to Alaska. DW is not going to be happy if I have to jump in a cab to head for Walmart.

Hope someone with more knowledge about Miami can give you more exact help.

HI there,

Google is a really good resource for you.

I put Miami airport into Google and got a map.

Click on the map and then on GET directions.

Put in Cruise port . It will show you the driving route.

You will see that you're on a highway.

IF you then click on SEARCH MAP and put in grocery stores.

you will see that if you go out of the airport south on LeJeune you will be able to stop at several markets. Take a taxi and tell him where you want to stop. There's a big Winn Dixie not far from there. Then get back on the highway and go to the port.

You can also probably find groceries closer to the port if you'd rather do that.

With what baggage fees cost these days, I wouldn't recommend you try to check soda. Chances are the cans will leak and ruin your clothes and likely other folk's stuff. You didn't say which ship, but many ships now ban bringing on your own soda.

I think you will loose on all counts with this.

There are plenty of stores in Miami.

REALLY bad idea to put those ultra thin aluminum cans in checked luggage. Aside from wrecking all your clothes if it pops. how many suitcases near yours will also be socked with sticky soda?

Please don't pack cans that are bound to get crushed and pop open and I'm not sure it wouldn't freeze at 35,000 feet in baggage hold.

Find a store on the way to the dock. Miami has more than it's fair share of convenient marts and groceries. Even a CVS or Walgreens has soda.

YEP chances are it WILL POP have had a can-limited edition special camo can (SHOT show from Vegas) pop it was perfectly in tact but all the liquid GONE and all over the contents of the bag-DONT DO IT--much BETTER to carry-on most cruiselines arent worried about the POP, just the booze.

get one of those little soft collapsible 6-8pk cooler bags and just carry it right on-or just put it in your carry-on so you dont cause attention to it...dont know what cruiseline you are going on...NCL is after the BOOZE not the POP!!

So far as I know, there are no airline/airport/security rules against packing soda in your checked luggage. It's just not a very good idea in terms of hoping your clothes don't all get ruined with sticky soda if the cans pop.

So far as I know, there are no airline/airport/security rules against packing soda in your checked luggage. It's just not a very good idea in terms of hoping your clothes don't all get ruined with sticky soda if the cans pop.

and then it seeps onto someone elses bag:owhich i FELT horrible about :(thinking that it did get on someone elses bag, and then shortly after we had it happen to us and we werent carrying anything in our bag that could pop and leak-LESSON LEARNED (and it was deserved--what goes around comes around)---so PLEASE carry-it on with YOU!!!

I have flown many times with beer cans in my suitcase, I never had one not make it all the way. We fly from Chicago to Fll, some times you don't have a chance to stop. If you are really worried put them in zip lock bags. I have put wine in my suit cases also with no undesired effects.

And I thought I was the only Diet Rite fan out there.

I too would worry about packing it, baggage areas are not pressurized, they do get cold, etc., etc.

Of course, the problem is that you might not have time in Miami to deal with it. I have had success in Miami in going to Purity food markets -- they generally carry it. There are some food delivery services in Orlando, I am not sure that they are available in Miami though. I know I am checking with the Walmart in Fairbanks for our trip to Alaska. DW is not going to be happy if I have to jump in a cab to head for Walmart.

Hope someone with more knowledge about Miami can give you more exact help.

Just want to point out that the baggage areas have the same pressurization and temperature control as the pax part of the plane. It is where dogs, cats and other pets go when they fly.

The luggage gorillas are more of a problem . . . but I've packed beer cans with no trouble.

They may freeze , but with reduced pressure they are likely to at least leak. Do a bit of web surfing to identify Diet-Rite sites in Miami (if she really is that much of diva).

They will NOT freeze and are NOT likely to leak due to air pressure. I've checked canned beverages on at least 25 flights and never had any leakage problems.

Just want to point out that the baggage areas have the same pressurization and temperature control as the pax part of the plane. It is where dogs, cats and other pets go when they fly.

Not necessarily true. There is more than one compartment in the belly of most passenger planes. The compartment where dogs and other animals are kept is pressurized and temperature controlled just like the passenger cabin. The luggage compartments are pressurized but not necessarily heated. One of my best friends has worked for an airline for the past 11 years. She has told me of times when frost began to form on the floor under her jumpseat.

The luggage gorillas are more of a problem . . . but I've packed beer cans with no trouble.

Not all luggage compartments are heated.

Archived