Silversea Secrets

SeaMatesNYC

As a newcomer to this forum, let me first say hello.

We are looking forward to our first Silversea voyage next year.

What secrets would you care to share? What things known only to insiders might you care to reveal to some newbies? What is your best-kept secret of a Silverseas voyage? Ice cream? Spa specials? Not to be missed events?

What sets this line apart in your mind that you would begrudgingly allow a newbie to know? Promise, won't tell a soul. Shhhhhh....;)

Michael

As a newcomer to this forum, let me first say hello.

We are looking forward to our first Silversea voyage next year.

What secrets would you care to share? What things known only to insiders might you care to reveal to some newbies? What is your best-kept secret of a Silverseas voyage? Ice cream? Spa specials? Not to be missed events?

What sets this line apart in your mind that you would begrudgingly allow a newbie to know? Promise, won't tell a soul. Shhhhhh....;)

Michael

if we told you it wouldn't be a secret ?:eek:

If there's something special you want for dinner one night, tell the maitre d' or captain the night before and the kitchen will prepare it for you. I'm a big fan of having an Indian banquet!

If there's something special you want for dinner one night, tell the maitre d' or captain the night before and the kitchen will prepare it for you. I'm a big fan of having an Indian banquet!

Awesome! Like - Beef Wellington, Steak Diane, Dover Sole...you ask, they have it, you get? Is this standard or secret? Is it frowned upon or expected that you ask for such delicious treats?

Seatmates, like Craig intimates, ask and u shall receive....in January

on the Spirit, we had Steak Diane followed by crepe suzettes; dover sole three times

including lunch, thanks to craig an Indian banquet for our 25th wedding anniversary dinner, and we had a very special English lunch (leek, mushroom, onion pie) followed

by an extraordinary English Truffle...just see the M'D he will take your request and

ensure you're taken care of.

Beef Wellington, Steak Diane, Dover Sole...you ask, they have it, you get?

I like these three dining delights. Have saved these in my trip file on my computer. It right there with duct tape's earlier suggestion for "French roast chicken with mashed potatoes". Keep the great ideas rolling along.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Don't forget the French roast chicken with mashed potatoes and peas! It only takes 24 Hrs.!

Oh my, that sounds delicious! I had not heard of French Roast Chicken (sorry Madame Child!) but I looked it up and I can see why it would take 24 hours - all that basting and turning! Mouth watering, even at 6:00 am!

Do they have a cheese cart/trolley? I love me some cheese for/after dessert!

And how would you rate the in-room breakfast? Hot, on-time, etc.?

Michael

There is a cheese trolley. Sometimes the choices are better than others. Sometimes it is fairly boring to a cheese person (my other half is part mouse). I think it pretty much depends where you are in the world. I have read some very good reviews of room-service breakfast on these boards. It's too early for me!

In suite breakfast is wonderful. My husband is an early riser and leaves to walk the decks and go to breakfast. I prefer to have it delivered about 9am. Usually right on time, sometimes a bit early. Once it was about 20 min early, but that was unusual. Good selection of what to order, if possible will provide you with things not listed. I wrote a note on the order form "if possible, may I have blah, blah, blah", got it each time. I did not make any outlandish requests tho. Mine was always hot or cold as the case may be.

The very worst part of it all was going home where no one serves me!!:eek:

In suite breakfast is wonderful. The very worst part of it all was going home where no one serves me!!:eek:

THANKS for the added info and background! Enjoyed this item from duct tape: "Sometimes it is fairly boring to a cheese person (my other half is part mouse)." Does she read these posts and agree on being "part mouse"? Or, have a good sense of humor? Terry in Ohio

Oh my, that sounds delicious! I had not heard of French Roast Chicken (sorry Madame Child!) but I looked it up and I can see why it would take 24 hours - all that basting and turning! Mouth watering, even at 6:00 am!

Do they have a cheese cart/trolley? I love me some cheese for/after dessert!

And how would you rate the in-room breakfast? Hot, on-time, etc.?

Michael

Hello again Michael,

It seems our little exchange elsewhere was cut a little short :rolleyes:

The cheese trolley has a better mix of cheeses than the Cunard Grills - I never found it perfect, but the selection was more imaginative & possibly slightly better quality than on QM2.

If you are a wine drinker Le Champagne is worth the money, especially if you book before sailing ($150 instead of $200 on board) - I may be a little biased but I do think you get better value from the French themed menus due to the wines offered!

Marie-Alice

Hello again Michael,

It seems our little exchange elsewhere was cut a little short :rolleyes:

The cheese trolley has a better mix of cheeses than the Cunard Grills - I never found it perfect, but the selection was more imaginative & possibly slightly better quality than on QM2.

If you are a wine drinker Le Champagne is worth the money, especially if you book before sailing ($150 instead of $200 on board) - I may be a little biased but I do think you get better value from the French themed menus due to the wines offered!

Marie-Alice

Yes, madame, we are routinely "moderated" into oblivion on that other board. It is a sad.

I am excited to hear that you believe the cheese trolley to have a better mix than Cunard, as the Cunard trolley has (usually) been quite satisfactory. Well, that is when our waiter recognized quite quickly that I would like eppoisese du borg (sp?) every night!

We would be inclined to sample the Le Champagne menu. Again, speaking as one who has not tried it yet, are there vintages/bottles you would suggest as more preferable than others? Do the choices come by the glass or bottle? APOLOGIES in advance for the newbie questions!

Michael

...the Le Champagne menu. Again, speaking as one who has not tried it yet, are there vintages/bottles you would suggest as more preferable than others? Do the choices come by the glass or bottle?
If you take the $150/$200 option, the wines are paired with each course. They are presented with each course and you can taste each one if you want. Refills will come too, if you get that far, though with five or six wines, you may or may not have the capacity!

TLCOhio, (s)he has a sense of humor!

Look forward to meeting that great person. To live with duct tape probably does require a good "sense of humor" and other wonderful skills. Am I guessing correctly?

One thing that really sets Silversea apart from other cruise lines is the Suite Service. It's not typical room service where you get a knock on the door and a tray is dropped off. Instead, the table in your cabin is set with Frette linen, place settings arranged, food set out, and trays removed. It's truly wonderful! At dinner you can even have it served course by course if you choose.

One late night on the SILVER CLOUD my partner and I wanted steak and hot fudge sundaes at around 2am. We asked and we received!

Also, at the pool grill you can order off the dining room lunch menu if you desire. It will take a little longer, but it can be done.

The best part of Silversea ... no lines! No line to get on, no line to get off, no buffet lines, etc. Also no annoying announcements and none of the nickel and dime of most lines. Almost everything is included.

Enjoy!

Ernie

The best part of Silversea ... no lines! No line to get on, no line to get off, no buffet lines, etc. Also no annoying announcements and none of the nickel and dime of most lines. Almost everything is included.
Well said and quite right.

One thing that really sets Silversea apart from other cruise lines is the Suite Service. The table in your cabin is set with Frette linen, place settings arranged, food set out, and trays removed. It's truly wonderful! At dinner you can even have it served course by course if you choose. Also, at the pool grill you can order off the dining room lunch menu if you desire. It will take a little longer, but it can be done. The best part of Silversea ... no lines! No line to get on, no line to get off, no buffet lines, etc. Also no annoying announcements and none of the nickel and dime of most lines. Almost everything is included. Ernie

Getting ready to be first-timers on Silversea, I like the idea of no lines, etc. Great potential on ordering from the main dining room menu while on the pool deck, assuming we have decent weather along the Norway Coast in July.

the Sandwich au beurre de cacahuète et à la confiture

I don't speak French, but I looked it up. It's peanut butter and jelly sandwich or PB&J. That isn't "my thing". I stick to some of the other items on the menu, pasta, seafood, salads, etc.

Back to wine.... you will be offered wine in the dining room and La Terrazza, however if you prefer a different wine , just ask. Or if you are not sure what you want, but dislike the one offered, ask to try something else. "I would like a full bodied Chardonnay, please", etc They aim to please.:D

Archived