Silversea Secrets

SeaMatesNYC

I love, love, love foie gras....after we asked one time if it was availble, I was graciously served it EVERY lunch and EVERY dinner last November on the Shadow (and I'll bet we could have had it for breakfast!)! Every venue we went to served it, brought it to our table without asking....and in amazing variations! Silversea will absolutely go above and beyond to make its guests happy...cannot wait for the cruise in June....

+1

I hope that they will be at least half as accommodating on the Spirit as I would settle for having foie gras every other day :)

To get this thread back on topic....

Vista cabins may not be bigger, but they feel slightly bigger because you don't have to allow a path to the balcony door. My dh and I set up the table permanently in front of the cabin window so we can sit and look out while we eat or work (sorry, but we own our own company and so have to work a couple of hours each day, even while on SS.)

Our first cruise we had the farthest forward Veranda suite to assure any smoke from neighbouring balconies would be blown away from our cabin.

Our second cruise we opted for Vista and were upset at the smell of smoke that had drifted into our cabin from the people next door (this was during embarkation and the suite doors were all open.) Within 20 minutes of closing our door, our suite was sweet-smelling and stayed that way for the next 28 days. In fact, it was less muggy than other parts of the ships while we went through Panama because our balcony door wasn't open at all.

As for ordering whatever you want....

My dh printed off a recipe for a Swedish appetizer he enjoyed after the chef had said he wasn't familiar with it. The next night, he had it for dinner.

And once my dh, who doesn't eat lunch, was asked by a waiter if he there was anything at all that he wanted. My dh wanted popcorn and 10 minutes later, it arrived!

THANKS, Kate, for your very good and helpful background info and experiences! Getting ready for our first on Silversea, this gives a excellent, added perspective. Duct tape thinks I should relax and enjoy. I will, but I also enjoy doing the prep and learning about these various "details" in advance. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

THANKS, Kate, for your very good and helpful background info and experiences! Getting ready for our first on Silversea, this gives a excellent, added perspective. Duct tape thinks I should relax and enjoy. I will, but I also enjoy doing the prep and learning about these various "details" in advance. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

I've been wondering.....when we first started cruising (in the dark ages and before my first computer) there was no Cruise Critic -- Trip Advisor -- Google -- readily available opinions or complaints -- sources of information. It's a different world now but I sometimes wonder if we're shooting ourselves in the foot with trivial questions and details.

Having cruised over 20 years with everyone from Costa, Princess, Sitmar (old Silversea) QE2, others, one day in 1996 our neighbor said "You've got to try Silversea. It costs a bit more but is worth every penny." With little more than that recommendation, we booked Silver Wind Rome/Athens.

We were simply blown away -- from being met by a personal representative in a private car in Rome to an overnight at the Cavalieri Hilton and then the fabulous voyage! It was simply wonderful! I wouldn't trade that first experience for anything.

I've heard "expectations are planned disappointments." Sadly, that may be the case for some.

Mary Ann

I've heard "expectations are planned disappointments." Sadly, that may be the case for some.

Mary Ann

I would amend that to "expectations of perfection are planned disappointments".

I think it is great to get so many questions answered and have an idea of what is ahead, but from there "go with the flow". In anything in life, if you expect perfection, you will be disappointed. Also, as I have stated before - I think some people are just not happy unless they can complain. They create the crisis du jour.

I've heard "expectations are planned disappointments."

Mary Ann

FWIW Mary Ann, I take almost the exact opposite view. I use information (in part) to "manage expectations." Most of our experience is on Regent's ships and the (formerly Regent) Paul Gauguin. Our upcoming cruise is on Silver Cloud. I don't want us to fall into the self-defeating trap of focusing on negative differnces (if any) while on the cruise. So by finding out about potential negative differences and vetting them with my group before hand I minmize "bad" surprises and, hopefully, allow us to "be in the moment."

I will admit, however, I can tend to over analyze and over plan. Also, I am one of those folks for whom the research, planning and overall anticipation is as much fun as the cruise itself (well, almost:o).

greg

• 2 weeks later...
Out of curiosity, why is there more suite room in a Vista?

Actual suite size on Shadow vista is 28 square metres,suite size on the Shadow veranda is26 square metres. Only 8% more but noticeable.

I will admit, however, I can tend to over analyze and over plan. Also, I am one of those folks for whom the research, planning and overall anticipation is as much fun as the cruise itself (well, almost:o). greg

Neurotic, type A, over analytic persons UNITE!! :D

(I'm one too.)

I recently saw a thread on another area of Cruise Critic with many people discussing how they use Excel spreadsheets to plan their wardrobe for every single day of the cruise. I thought "wow, more neurotic than me!".:p

In the American SS brochures the Verandah suite is listed at 345 sq. ft. of which 60 sq. ft. is the verandah. leaving 285 sq. ft. of interior space. The Vista suite is listed at 287 sq. ft. so 2 sq. ft. more. I cannot imagine that is very noticeable.

On all three cruises on Shadow I have had a wonderful buffalo cheese - anchovy pizza delivered to my suite. I think it is call the pizza naplatano pizza. Had two on my last cruise. It is the best pizza I have ever had, and continues to be the best.

For white wine drinkers, if you like a really nice crisp dry white wine, then ask for the Santa Maragrita pino grigo [this is not a cheap white wine - at discount in my area it runs $26.00 to $28.00 a bottle.] While it is fun to try the wines of the day, on a 15 day cruise, that gets a little tired.

discussing how they use Excel spreadsheets to plan their wardrobe for every single day of the cruise. I thought "wow, more neurotic than me!".:p

I rather like this idea, does that mean I'm neurotic too?:D

Cheers

Jennifer

Getting ready to be first-timers on Silversea, I like the idea of no lines, etc. Great potential on ordering from the main dining room menu while on the pool deck, assuming we have decent weather along the Norway Coast in July.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

We ate outside for lunch and dinner numerous times mid Atlantic in April. (They have blankets if desired.)

Well, lets see . . . . so far we have eliminated

smokers

obese people

people who wear black socks with shorts

anyone under 21 years old

men who wear ponytails

Yankees who live in the South

bald headed men

people who wear baseball caps backward

winey women

any one who uses the word awsome

dull people

so. let's add. . . .

non-smokers

anyone over 30 years old

Rebs who live in the North

clever people

people who drink too much

people who don't drink enough

vegetarians

carnivores

adults who drip their triple scoop ice cream cones on the pool deck

people who insist on callling servers "boy"

Democrats

Republicans

anyone whose last cruise was on the Queen Mary

Who am I missing?

PS: I just KNOW there is someone out there who doesn't realize this is all in jest =)

By the time you get rid of all of these categories, the ship will be empty. Maybe some of you can afford a yacht.

By the time you get rid of all of these categories, the ship will be empty. Maybe some of you can afford a yacht.

just one more(to hopefully end it ) people who post more than 10 times a day !!:cool:

Archived