Silversea Secrets

SeaMatesNYC

the Sandwich au beurre de cacahuète et à la confiture

Formidable!

One of the things we have enjoyed is the opportunity to taste a selection of liquors. We've done a vodka tasting, a gin tasting, a rum tasting and a single malt tasting - all personally arranged by Gerardo in the Panorama Lounge on the Shadow.

Above all, ask, and you shall receive!

I asked for fresh figs with the cheese course and every night thereafter I was presented with a lovely plate of figs when ordering from the trolley. Also, don't forget to ask for a spot of port with your cheese.

I adore sweetbreads and asked them to prepare them for me one night. They were more than delighted to accommodate my request, esp. after head chef (french) came to my table afterward to check on my satisfaction, and told me that he had also enjoyed them for his own dinner since he had to order more than one person could possible eat.

Breakfasts were always delivered on time, as I ordered, and arrived hot/cold as appropriate.

I believe this feature of Silversea service is one of the things they pride themselves on - and rightfully so. Your wish is their command - what more could you ask for?!

If there's something special you want for dinner one night, tell the maitre d' or captain the night before and the kitchen will prepare it for you. I'm a big fan of having an Indian banquet!

Well, here is a little bit from something I posted on another thread. We will be back on Shadow next week and have already heard, via email, from Riccardo, who is still on board as Exec. Chef:

Originally Posted by Emtbsam viewpost.gif

The menus are great, but occasionally, I am in the mood for something "off-menu".

Well, Emtbsam, you knew I wouldn't be able to pass this one up if I saw it. We asked reception if we could plan a dinner party of 9 guests (11 people total) to celebrate Mrs. Rally's birthday. The answer was a delighted "of course!!" So, the next thing I knew we were meeting with Ricardo Dotti, Executive Chef, and Gilbert, Maitre 'd, to plan the menu. Riccardo suggested "a wonderful Italian meal." Not sure what our guests liked to eat we asked for Surf & Turf as the main course and left the rest up to Riccardo and Gilbert. We left them arguing with each other over who made the best desserts.

(Now this has nothing to do with the food, but as soon as we gave the guest list to reception, an engraved invitation showed up on our door, followed by a phone call asking if we approved of the wording; we did and they were delivered the night before to party to each guest. Nice touch, eh? =)

After the meeting with Chef and Maitre 'd the head sommelier found us on the pool deck and wanted to discuss wine. He suggested we start with champagne (in floor-standing ice buckets at each end of the table) and then said he would consult with Chef to select the most appropriate wines (from the complementary list.) Although it was not necessary we did order two bottles of an Oregon pinot noir that we particularly enjoy.

So, dinner:

1. A huge antipasto tray was passed by our waiter Pamela, loaded with just about everything you have seen on an antipasto menu, this to enjoy with the champagne.

2. At this point the two featured singers from the entertainment troupe arrived and sang Happy Birthday. When they had finished, a lovely waiter who is from China appeared and asked permission to sing Happy Birthday to Mrs. Rally in Chinese. It is hard to say who has the better voice =)

3. Pasta Trio, composed by Chef: three ravioli, each with a different filling and sauce.

4. Filet Mignon with Bordelaise sauce and Lobster tail over lobster risotto.

5. Gilbert prepared crepes suzette tableside.

6. Chef presented a cake he said he only makes once or twice a year (Gateau St. Honore, gorgeous, topped with little creampuffs that had been flamed with cognac; we all declared we couldn't eat it following the crepes, but within a few minutes not a bite was left on any plate.

7. Those little trays of cookies, candies, etc.

8. Along with the little trays, the sommelier appeared with flavored grappa (plain, lemon, white chocolate, dark chocolate) and offered them to all and sundry. ((I never saw these on any bar list, and when I later asked where they came from he said, "the Officers Mess.")

When we returned to our stateroom that evening, the bed was strewn with rose petals and towels arranged as swans with a birthday card signed by Chef, Gilbert and the Captain; a hot bath had been drawn and the tub and bathroom were aglow in candles. Amazing.

We have never had a meal to equal that one. The food, service, presentation and company were superb. Value? Priceless. Cost? zero.

Well, here is a little bit from something I posted on another thread. We will be back on Shadow next week and have already heard, via email, from Riccardo, who is still on board as Exec. Chef.

We have never had a meal to equal that one. The food, service, presentation and company were superb. Value? Priceless. Cost? zero.

YES! I saw and super loved your earlier post. I sent a copy of it to my travel agent. We're doing our first trip on Silversea for the Silver Cloud's July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords cruise. My wife's birthday is July 1 and we'd like to do something "special" as you accomplished and experienced. We're to check back in early June.

THANKS for your inspiring posts! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

YES! I saw and super loved your earlier post. I sent a copy of it to my travel agent. We're doing our first trip on Silversea for the Silver Cloud's July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords cruise. My wife's birthday is July 1 and we'd like to do something "special" as you accomplished and experienced. We're to check back in early June.

THANKS for your inspiring posts! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Our TA had nothing to do with it; we made it a point to meet, sincerely the chef and maitre d' and then asked at reception once on board. Enjoy!

Our TA had nothing to do with it; we made it a point to meet, sincerely the chef and maitre d' and then asked at reception once on board. Enjoy!

YES, I knew it was something you arranged during your Pacific journey with lots of sea days. I just shared it with my TA working to improve the "odds" as my wife's birthday is early in our cruise. I wanted to line up any advance steps to help the process along once we get to the ship on July 1. You had a great and very special event on the ship.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Seatmates, like Craig intimates, ask and u shall receive....in January

on the Spirit, we had Steak Diane followed by crepe suzettes; dover sole three times

including lunch, thanks to craig an Indian banquet for our 25th wedding anniversary dinner, and we had a very special English lunch (leek, mushroom, onion pie) followed

by an extraordinary English Truffle...just see the M'D he will take your request and

ensure you're taken care of.

Colonel Wes

I bet the pudding was an English Trifle (not truffle). Custard, sponge, fruit, cream .. calorie free!

57 Varieties, thanks for correction, below is a picture of the delicious English Trifle:

www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30734723&id=1039868706

WOW!! That is amazing. I imagine that is you sitting behind it, so different than what I had imagined. For some reason I pictured you at least 20 years older with snow white hair and mustache. (didn't even know that you really had a mustache) I guess "Col. Wes" brought to mind an old and distinguished sea captain or something, haha.:p

the gentleman in the photo is Carl, a good cruise friend (we have been on TA's with Carl & Diane on Regent and Silversea), there is a thumbnail pic of my bride and I as my avatar (upper left of this post). Carl knows his English food & all wine exceptionally well and like Rally very well said above--SS staff goes well above and beyond on special dinner or lunch requests. The price to the SS cruiser---a simple, polite request. In our case, the Spirit F&B mgr, and Exec chef and Restaurant crew at lunch absolutely sparkled (in prep, delivery, presentation) when Carl asked them to prepare a special english lunch for six of us (three couples).

Faultless service and food. Entertainment a bit ho hum but if you want top shows and artists this is not for you. They belong on the huge cruise ships. This is low key and tasteful. Vista cabins allow smokers - yuk - so the smell permeates into the corridors. However, within minutes of making a minor complaint, the hotel manager upgraded us to a balcony suite. They will have to change their policies about smoking in Vista cabins (they only have a sealed window and not a balcony).

Kathy I haven't smoked in almost 20 years and I prefer not to be around it.

I usually book a Vista suite - have many days in my Venetian Society balance -- and can honestly say I have never noticed offensive smoke in the halls or public areas. There have been reports of residue smells in some suites but if you let management know it will be taken care of. There are smoking sections reserved in some areas but steer clear of them and you'll be fine.

Mary Ann

Vista cabins allow smokers - yuk - so the smell permeates into the corridors. However, within minutes of making a minor complaint, the hotel manager upgraded us to a balcony suite. They will have to change their policies about smoking in Vista cabins (they only have a sealed window and not a balcony).

From Mary Ann: I usually book a Vista suite - have many days in my Venetian Society balance -- and can honestly say I have never noticed offensive smoke in the halls or public areas. There have been reports of residue smells in some suites but if you let management know it will be taken care of. There are smoking sections reserved in some areas but steer clear of them and you'll be fine.

After reading your post, I checked with Silversea and was told that people can smoke in ANY of the cabins, not just those in the Vista suites. There are also a couple of other places on the ship where smoking is permitted on a limited basis. BUT, if there were smokers in your suite/room prior, I was told that they do extra cleaning, changing out certain fabric items, etc., to make sure it is not a problem. From being on Seabourn and Crystal in 2006 and 2008, the number of smokers and any problems didn't seem to be an issue.

Would most agree with Mary Ann, that they have not had any of these smoke/ordo problems and issues while on Silversea? Hope so!!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Faultless service and food. Entertainment a bit ho hum but if you want top shows and artists this is not for you. They belong on the huge cruise ships. This is low key and tasteful. Vista cabins allow smokers - yuk - so the smell permeates into the corridors. However, within minutes of making a minor complaint, the hotel manager upgraded us to a balcony suite. They will have to change their policies about smoking in Vista cabins (they only have a sealed window and not a balcony).

I agree completely! I hope they do something about my personal objection, too. On my last cruise there was an obese lady who regualrly sat in the hot tub (which means I can't sit there because it is disgusting) and twice I saw obese men and women in the pool. Obesity in the U.S. is as big a health problem (if not bigger) than smoking and I certainly hope SilverSea will do the right thing and require a weigh-in before allowing embarkation, don't you agree?

Kathy I haven't smoked in almost 20 years and I prefer not to be around it.

I usually book a Vista suite - have many days in my Venetian Society balance -- and can honestly say I have never noticed offensive smoke in the halls or public areas. There have been reports of residue smells in some suites but if you let management know it will be taken care of. There are smoking sections reserved in some areas but steer clear of them and you'll be fine.

Mary Ann

Agreed,we always book vista for stability of ship and slightly more suite room.Never had a problem in 37 cruises.

Archived