Back from Liberty Ship : Long Run and Gun Review

elcuchio24

Just back from a great cruise on the Liberty, 7 night Eastern Carib cruise. This was DW and my 3rd with Carnival, 7th overall cruise. A little back ground on us as it may pertain to this review: We are in our mid 20’s, no kids. We are very active and do allot in the ports. We don’t go to a ton of shows, not because they are bad but because we don’t usually enjoy that kind of entertainment in general. We are foodies, and tend to eat heavily and often while cruising, so food tends to factor in pretty high for us as far as overall trip enjoyment goes.

I’ll break out this review as a running thread format review, just because I think it’s easier to read that way, more fun, and please feel free to ask any questions as I go. As such, I’ll try to have all the postings up in a timely manner. Also, where I am writing most of this review I won’t have access to my pictures, but may try to post some later on there once I go through them all.

Any comments, criticisms, questions…shoot away.:)

Travel Time………

We flew out of Portland, Maine very early on Friday April 30th so we decided to stay at the HoJo and use their free parking and complementary shuttle to the airport instead of parking at the airport and paying the painful per day garage rates. Ended up giving us a few more hours of sleep and costing less for the hotel room than paying to park at the airport.

The flight out was right on time, 5:45am, don’t ask me why Delta chooses to fly out so early but since we live in Maine our options are limited. Maybe less moose traffic on the runway, who knows. Of course there are only 50 other people in the airport at that hour so check in/security took about 5 minutes. One of the guys I went to flight school with fly’s this route pretty regularly, and once on the plane I found that it was indeed him Delta had rousted up so early to fly. I angled for some free drinks, but at that hour the beverage service hadn’t stocked any of the good stuff. Oh well, he got us to Hotlanta quick and safe. Our connecting flight from Atlanta to Miami was oversold, boarded, taxied out to the runway, was off weight and balance so had to taxi back to the skyway. Unloaded a couple of standby passengers, taxied away, had to do a new weight and balance and updated manifest. So by the time we took off we were about an hour and a half late. Just another reason why we ALWAYS fly in to port a day before we sail, less eye twitching and compulsive binge drinking. My suitcase, a genuine Samsuunite knockoff, was on its last leg and I was half expecting to see it come around the carousel crushed, spewing out t-shirts, cigars, and sun block. Luckily the baggage made the trip as well and undamaged to boot, which is always a relief, as was the fact that we were both under 50 lbs. I saw a guy in front of us at check in heading to LAX, his back was 78 lbs, they charged him $150! Good lord. I could buy 8 Samsuunite suitcases for that. We left Maine in drizzle and 40 degree weather, and were met with sun and mid 80’s in Miami. I took off my parka, mittens, and hunters orange cap. Have to wait until we got to the hotel to take off the Long Johns. Sweet.

Speaking of sweet, we were staying at the Embassy Suites and the shuttle was right along to scoop us up. This hotel turned out to be really nice. Near the airport, not near the beach which is a prerequisite for some cruisers I know. But it was beautiful, with a giant open interior atrium with palm trees and gardens, as people who stay at this chain know is the trademark of most Embassy Suites hotels. We had a night late lunch/early dinner in their deserted restaurant, a delicious meal. DW hit the hay and had a quick nap and I went around shutterbugging and bothering the staff until the cocktail reception started at 5:30 (can you figure out why we always stay at the Embassy Suites?). We enjoyed drinks, the pool, and the warm breezes, and hit the sack early.

Saturday/embarkation………….

The next morning we woke up to a warm and cloudy day. Had a great free breakfast in the atrium and purchased transfers to the port for $10 a piece at the front desk. They whisked us to the port where we got our first view of the Liberty, the only ship in port, which I though was odd because every other time we have sailed out of POM there usually have been a bunch of other ships. Arrived at the dock about 11:30, checked our bags with the porters, waited through the security line which always looks enormous but went pretty fast. Filled out the “do you feel sick or not?” questionnaire, must be a legal issue because I can’t see any other value in it, and stood in the self assist kiosk line. The line went quick and I love these new kiosk’s they have. Just touched the screen, swiped our passports, credit card, and it spit out a receipt you take to the next counter and they had you your S&S cards. The only problem (and it was an obvious and vocal one) was that, lets call them the Older Crowd, seemed to be having allot of issues with the non-human check in process. I swear I saw one Blue Hair actually trying to talk to the machine. There were a plethora of customer service folks hanging around the machines and they seemed to neutralize any problems and walk folks through the process quickly. Once we had our S&S cards in hand we took the obligatory embarkation photo we never buy (at least there is no pirate in these), had our pics taken for the S&S account and boarded the Liberty. We were sitting down to lunch by noon, probably one of the best/quickest/least stressful embarkations we have ever had.

The rooms were obviously not ready at this point, so we schlepped out carry-ons through the mob by the main lido pool and up to the deserted Fish and Chips on the 10th floor. We got food from the Buffet (really good lasagna Bolognese), then made a trip to Fish and Chips which was so dead I thought they might be closed. The guys there were super friendly. Got great calamari fritters, fried oysters, fish and chips, and a really nice calamari/snapper/shrimp ceviche I must have ended up having 5 times during the cruise. I will say this, this Fish and Chips area was deserted the first day, but the word is out. Although it’s a nice quite place to sit most of the time, lines were long at the F&C counter for most of the cruise after that first day. On most days the line was similar to the Wok or Deli. Still worth it though, fantastic food.

Around 1:15 we headed to our room which was ready for our arrival. Ended up being a great location right near the front stair case and elevator bank on deck 6. Nice balcony room, clean, with more than enough room for all our junk. The bottle of Beefeater I ordered from Bon Voyage was ready and waiting for us in the room. We were having gin and tonics on the balcony faster than I could get the bungee out of my suitcase to keep the balcony door open. The safety drill was quick, still had to go to the muster station on deck 4 but not with life vests. They gave a 2 minute review of how to use the vest but then had to repeat it in Spanish, French, and Dutch. They did the same translations for most of the major announcements for the rest of the cruise. English was always first, which I was grateful for. I figured if we ended up getting an ‘abandon ship’ order, by the time they translated it to Dutch I would be in a lifeboat 2 miles away while the German dude was sill sipping a Mai Tai in the aft hot tub.

We chose to do sail away on our balcony, along with another round of G&T’s. As soon as we cleared Miami Beach the clouds melted away and the sun came through for the rest of the beautiful day. We booked Anytime dining and looked forward to seeing how it would worked for us. We are not a huge fan of sitting with table mates of questionable intellectual merit for one, and honestly we like to spend time just as a couple on the cruise so really enjoy having a 2-top. We went to dinner around 6:30, requested a 2 top and we were given a little buzzer. Went to get a round of drinks in the atrium bar as my wife had begun her Mojito kick which would prove to last the whole cruise. By the time I had the drinks in hand the buzzer went off, a total of about 4 minutes waiting. This was the longest wait we ended up having for anytime dining during the cruise, all other nights we went right to our table and always had a private 2 top. Loved the anytime dining. I had smoked salmon/2 shrimp cocktails/sweet and sour shrimp/black forest gateau. DW had the fruit plate/Caesar/flat iron/ crème Brule. Everything was fantastic, I was a little dubious on the Flat Iron but DW loved it and it was indeed excellent. We had a few more drinks after dinner and retired early, knowing we were going to have an early/full day on Half Moon Cay the next day.

Oh boy - I can tell this is going to be a good one :D you have a great writing style! Quick question - although not quite blue hair (plenty of gray though) I might have problems with the kiosks in Miami :p This will be my first cruise sans husband so we'll want separate sail and sign credit card bills for the eight people in our group. Can that be accomplished at the kiosks?

Oh boy - I can tell this is going to be a good one :D you have a great writing style! Quick question - although not quite blue hair (plenty of gray though) I might have problems with the kiosks in Miami :p This will be my first cruise sans husband so we'll want separate sail and sign credit card bills for the eight people in our group. Can that be accomplished at the kiosks?

Thanks w8ing2cruz,

I saw several large parties using different credit cards at the Kiosks, if you all booked (and paid) individually or by couple it should be easy. If you paid all on one card you will probably have to go to guest services on the ship, then they can split the bill up by person and take everyone's card. Have fun!

Half Moon Cay……….

I brought my fancy alarm clock with me, a circa 1999 dead service cell phone about the same quality as my Samsuunite Luggage. But it worked like a charm. A normal (working) cell phone will sometimes switch time and screw up your alarm because it draws a signal from the closest tower, which is often not on ship time. This cell phone though, since it was deactivated and not getting a signal, worked perfect as an alarm clock the whole trip. Plus I got to wake up to a gentle ‘wouldn’t it be nice if we were older’ ring tone instead of the ring of the room phone wake up call. The room service breakfast preorder the night before is a good wake-up option in theory, but in practice you will probably end up surprised by the nock, stagger to the door half dressed, and forget to tip the room service waiter. Or, even worse, tip them a $20 because you don’t have your contacts in. I digress.

This morning we were woken up by both, as we had hung a breakfast order form on the door to be delivered between 7-7:30 and I set Old Faithful LG for 6:45am. The cell phone went off right on time, but room service was 15 minutes early so DW just had time to make sure they were one dollar bills she was tipping and we were up and about. Although it was not a long journey to Half Moon Cay from Miami, the seas were moderately rough but we still felt NO movement in the ship. We could have been docked for all the movement we felt during the night. We went out on the balcony to see HMC off in the distance, 5 miles out. We had time to enjoy our breakfast, nothing hot but everything good, and good coffee which outranks everything else. As we approached the island, you could just sea how beautiful the beach and water were, a sunny and mid 80’s day helped as well. The tenders came out and lurked near by before we even dropped anchor. The tenders where berthing with the ship on deck 0, port side, which was almost directly below us so we had a good view to see what was going on. Although our arrival time was not supposed to be until 9am, they began tendering and loading carnival staff and food/drinks by 8am. We had a shore excursion booked for 10am and had heard about long lines for the tender. Although they had not called anything about being able to debark yet, we loaded our gear and headed down to the Venetian Palace to see if we could hop an early tender. There was no line at all, the Carnival staff member said “sure, go ahead” and pointed us towards the stairs to deck 0. We were on board the 2nd tender of the morning, which left about 1/3 full with no wait at 8:30am. Half Moon Cay is just beautiful, what a gorgeous beach, and they have really done a good job not OVER developing it.

We had booked a ‘horseback riding by land and sea’ excursion because we wanted to do a little more then just beach bum and DW loves horses and riding. Me, I’m just happy to walk away un-bucked and with only minor crotch chaffing. We hooked up with the excursion in the main square area and preceded a mile or so down the beach to the corral via safari truck. We were outfitted with helmets, which gave everyone that first time on a bike/short bus look but where comfortable. We were assigned horses by size and experience and where on our way. The horses where actually beautiful, large, and well kept. We rode through the brush up a hill to the very highest part of the island, had to be 45 feet high. I’m glad I’m not scared of heights. Then we rode back down to the coral area and dismounted, took off our shoes, and remounted the horses this time with float type equipment instead of a saddle. We mounted and headed into the water. What I had expected was some splashing around near the beach, but in fact they took these horses out so far they were well over their heads, swimming right along as the rider clung to the back. Although my wife rides often, and I had a horse when I was a kid, neither of us had ever had the experience of riding a swimming horse and it was allot of fun. Many pictures were taken, and the guys there obliged by taking pictures with our own camera so we didn’t have to count on the ship photo jockey and his $20 prints.

The horse handlers where fantastic, mostly Jamaicans, and we spent a half hour after the ride talking about the finer points of the AK-47 rifle. For some reason I felt my wife was less then enthralled with the conversation. We tipped the guys well, as to make sure they had plenty of ammo money, and headed back to the main visitors center. The total excursion lasting around 2 hours, and they dropped us right off at the luncheon pavilion, chow hut, grub hub, island buffet by any other name. We had a nice lunch, even though it was right around noon the lines were short and moved quickly. It was a basic fare of salads, coleslaw, potato salad, burgers and hotdogs, chicken, and plenty of cookies/sweets. We ate, refilled the water bottles, and headed for the beach.

We walked down the beach aways to get away from the crowds, but didn’t have to walk far. Many people gathered right near the main area where the music and activities were (this is where the infamous hairy chest competition, which I have yet to witness, took place this cruise. I am not interested in watching, and would not be a contender unless they change the name to ‘best Irish chest hair patch competition’) but if you wanted a nice quite stretch of beach it was just feet away. We settled between cabana 11 and 12, and dubbed is area ‘cabana 11 ½ no mans land’. There was plenty of shade so we did not opt for a clam shell, but plenty were available. I did notice that not all the cabanas were filled; it looked like about half of them were empty. Some might have had occupants who were just out and about but I’m sure at least a third where wholly vacant. We lounged in the sun and shade as needed and swam in the perfectly warm water. As others have mentioned, the sand here is so fine, probably the finest non-black beach sand I have ever seen. After a few hours of sunning we headed back to the visitors center to grab a tender, expecting a line. What we got was a half full tender waiting for us. I don’t know if we just hit it at the right times or if they added a tender to this island, but we were on and off no problem. Even from the ship I could see the tender area and never witnessed the ‘hour wait lines’ I had read about in other reviews. Once back on the ship we hit an ice cream station and headed back to the cabin. I watched the tenders come in for a while as DW took a nap.

I headed down to the Guest Services desk to check out the balance on our S&S account. They have a feature on the TV where you can book excursions, check your folio balance, and see the menus. We had received a chunk of on board credit because we booked Early Saver and made several claims, but the folio information was not available on the TV. Guest Services said that they just hadn’t uploaded everything yet, and yes indeed we had over $450 in OBC! Awesome! Can’t say enough how much I loved Early Saver. The TV folio was updated and accurate for the rest of the cruise. We actually ended up getting a check on debarkation day for $60, the remainder of the OBC.

So with the accounting out of the way, I decided to hit the Sushi bar, seeing as it was closing in on 5pm and I had only had a pound of ice cream to tide me over since the 5 hotdogs I’d had at lunch. The sushi was decent, nothing spectacular but serviceable. Most nights it was a shrimp Nigiri, California roll, and maybe a tuna Maki. There was raw fish for sure, and it was fine, just nothing breathtaking. Think lunch time at your local mall sushi joint. We went to dinner around 7:45 and were seated right away, great service again, as we would have every night. The waiters danced, but I can’t recall the jingle. Since we stopped at HMC Sunday, the first formal night would not be until Monday.

I had fried shrimp/shrimp cocktail/petit filet-braised short rib/chocolate melting cake. DW had fruit plate/Caesar salad/petit filet-braised short rib/cheese cake. Everything was fantastic. I should add before I forget, DW always had a coffee with desert which was always good and I also had an espresso with desert. We both drink it black, real black with no sugar, and found the coffee overall on the ship to be fine. Good in the MDR, decent from room service and at the buffet.

After dinner we went to the late seating show, which was the Village Idiots comedy/juggling. It was ok. Kind of funny in a very corny, Atlantic City stand up kind of way. Turns out one of the guys was from Atlantic City, go figure. The Juggling was actually pretty good. They were doing 6 items going in-between them, starting with sticks or something, going to machetes, and then to flaming torches. Flaming torches on a ship, crazy right? I was just waiting for someone to stand up and start screaming about how they couldn’t bring their fan/iron/George Foreman grill, but these guys could juggle torches. Sadly, no one made a scene and we scurried off the bed un macheted, un burned, and will full bellies. We had a few Gin And Tonics on the balcony before turning in. A gin and tonic, starry sky, and Caribbean night on your balcony at sea is pretty darn tough to beat in my book.

OMIG, Elcuchio, I am loving your review! You are sooo funny, and you dont need photos to make your review! IMHO, Maine must be to the US, what Newfoundland, my home province is to Canada, ( re your moose reference etc ).

Re the eye twitching and binge drinking and the return to gate to remove some standby passengers because of weight and balance; As a former airline employee,,,, I have been there! Though I have moved on from airline work, my eyes still twitch until we are airbone. ( No comment about the binge drinking )!

I loved my cruise on the Liberty. Did you try the lobster? I think we discussed the origin of said lobster before, but I really think it is Caribbean rock lobster.

Looking forward to more review.!:)

OMIG, Elcuchio, I am loving your review! You are sooo funny, and you dont need photos to make your review! IMHO, Maine must be to the US, what Newfoundland, my home province is to Canada, ( re your moose reference etc ).

Re the eye twitching and binge drinking and the return to gate to remove some standby passengers because of weight and balance; As a former airline employee,,,, I have been there! Though I have moved on from airline work, my eyes still twitch until we are airbone. ( No comment about the binge drinking )!

I loved my cruise on the Liberty. Did you try the lobster? I think we discussed the origin of said lobster before, but I really think it is Caribbean rock lobster.

Looking forward to more review.!:)

Love Newfy, in Maine we are practically Canadian anwyway.Ha! It's so funny you mention that lobster thingbecause I am totally telling this story later on in the review. On the formal night when the Maine Lobster Tail was on the menu, my wife says to the waiter "Is that really Maine Lobster? Because we're from Maine and my inlaws own a seafood company." Our waiter gave a cheery nod and said, "I hope you'll sample our delicous caribbean rock lobster tail!"

Day at Sea………

Because it was a zero plans sea day, we woke up late around 8:15 with a nock on the door from room service with coffee and croissants. I managed to put on pants and grab some tip money before stumbling to the door, the nice lady delivering the food appreciated me doing both. We opened up the balcony door to find another beautiful Caribbean day, sunny and hot. We never did see a rain drop during this cruise. As the croissants disappeared quickly, I was ordered to head up to the lido buffet to replenish our breakfast supplies, a theme I would find repeated every morning during this cruise as I was gingerly kicked out of bed to forage.

Again, the location of our cabin was nice, all I had to due was hop up 3 flights and walk right into Emiles. The Lido buffet was never too busy when I was there, although I usually went between 7-8am and I could tell it got busier after 9am. The food was breakfast food, always hot and tasty. I can’t understand how people complain about breakfast not being varied enough on the ship. Its breakfast. The buffet had a decent selection and all the old favorites every morning, and we had no complains. As I passed the Lido bar I saw one of the rum slingers I had become acquainted with the previous day provocatively point to the ‘bloody marry morning special’ sign as I went by. I closed my right eye to stop temptation and kept steaming towards the cabin. I returned to the cabin with my bounty of buffet fare, we ate, relaxed, and got ready for a day of further relaxations.

DW headed to the Lido to tan as I decided to peruse the alcohol selection in the gift shop. I like the sun as much as anyone else, but if I stayed out on deck as long as my wife I’d be heading to the burn clinic at Mass General. Plus, I have been known to buy a few bottles of scotch, especially if the price is right. I found a nice bottle of The Glenfiddich for 23.99 liter, which has to be at least 50% off the US price. Plus, its arrival would be something to look forward to on that depressing last day on board. I returned to our cabin and lathered up with the old SPF 50 to try to protect my girlish complexion, I think any higher SPF comes only by prescription and with a warning label. Now equipped against the Sun or any bright interior lights, I headed to the Lido.

Its always busy around the Tivoli pool for sure, lots of kids and people hogging chairs, but just head up the bleacher seating a few rows and there were always plenty of free chairs, let alone the almost empty decks 10 and 11. So don’t worry about getting up early to get a deck lounger unless you HAVE to be within spitting distance of the pool. My wife was already brown from the sun and I had already started to freckle up after an hour, so I decided while DW stayed tanning I would become the ultimate Carnival cliché and head to the waterslide area. A grown man tearing down the waterslide, getting a water wedgie, perhaps you have seen my commercial? The slide was not busy at all, with only two others waiting to go down. It really is a great slide and if you get a good swing off the top bar you can really get flying. I realized that if I wanted to retain the bottoms of my feet I would have to start wearing my sandals to protect myself from the searing hot deck. I ended up wearing them walking up to the slide, then slipping my hands in them and wearing them like forearm guards on the way down the slide. Not the height of fashion, but worked well. After a dozen trips down the slide, the line to go down started getting a little longer. As I waited in line, it struck me that the rest of the waterslide line folks were several feet shorter than me. I mentioned it to a 7 year old girl behind me and she told me not to worry, they weren’t there to judge me. The rest of the line echoed this and I appreciated the sentiment. Up at the head of the line, the slide police woman of the day, while nice, was relentless in her enforcement of the 42 inch rule (as in, you have to be this high to go down the slide). The two young ladies in front of me were both made to stand next to the 42 inch measuring stick before being ok’d to slide. As I got to the front of the line I told the attendant “I am around 75 inches, do you still want me to stand by the measuring stick?” She did not, and told me to go ahead. But it got some laughs from the 40-something-inchers in line, so mission accomplished. By this time I was slid out and DW had baked for long enough so we decided to head back to the cabin and get some room service lunch (BLT, Reuben, Roast Beef/Brie, all very tasty).

We returned to find the room cleaned once again. I should take this opportunity to say that our room steward, Marton, and his assistant were really top notch this cruise. They cleaned the room and turned down the bed every day, always kept the ice fresh and towel animals folded every evening. He stopped in the fist day to introduce himself and I asked him about the bungee I brought to prop the balcony door when we wanted it open. He said it was no problem, and to do whatever made us most comfortable. We found the room always comfortable as far as temperature goes, when the AC was turned up DW actually got the chills! Also, in Grand Turk, we had one of our Carnival towels run away and hide on us after a few rum punches on our shore excursion. That evening, our one wet towel was replaced with two new ones, it was never mentioned and we were never charged for the towel. Again, the room steward staff was fantastic.

After lunch we hung out in the cabin and had a nap, then I struck out to do a little more exploring around the ship and take some pictures. It is really easy to navigate, very similar to the other Carnival ships we have been on as far as layout. Pretty much everything can be accessed from decks 5 or 9. I found most of the décor relaxing and not over the top, there seemed to always be plenty of areas to relax and nothing seemed crowded. The Cruise director, Noonan, said there were 4600 guests/crew on board. It certainly never felt crowded. By now, lunch seemed an eternity ago so I figured why not stop for some Sushi to tide me over til dinner.

This was our first elegant night. We dressed up and headed down to the Golden Olympian around 6:45, went right to a two top and got ready for a great meal. There were various degrees of formality evident between the guests, but nothing so egregious as to make an impression. Now since this was a formal evening with Maine Lobster tail offered, and we are from Maine where lobster is as cheap as ground chuck in the summer, and my parents own a seafood company, and I worked my formative years on docks/ lobster hatcheries, our poor waiter did not know the firestorm he was walking into. My wife, who has never tried the Caribbean variety, was going to order the lobster no matter where it came from. On the menu it clearly said MAINE lobster. As our waiter came to take our orders, my wife queried “Now, we are from Maine. My in-laws own a seafood business. Is this Maine lobster tail really from Maine?” The waiter nodded, laughed, gave a big smile, and said “I hope you will sample our delicious Caribbean Rock Lobster!” We laughed too, and DW still ordered it so she could give it a try. Mystery solved, Sparkey8. It ended up being decent as Rock Lobster goes, just a little tougher and fishier then the Maine Bugs. There really is no passing it off as Maine Lobster if it’s in the shell, as Rock Lobster has a distinct mottled pattern to the tail shell you can’t miss. I went for land meat tonight, with no claws and no tamale to suck out of the head, a lone lobster tail doesn’t do much for me. I had baked stuffed mushrooms/ shrimp cocktail x2/ Hudson Valley duck/ Prime rib/ Apple puff pastry. DW had pumpkin soup/ Caesar salad/ CARIBBEAN ROCK LOBSTER TAIL/ warm chocolate melting cake.

We hit the atrium and piano bars and listened to some of the music and singing. I can’t remember any other ship having so many live performers around and different venues. Very nice. We retired to our cabin to grab some shuteye before our arrival in St. Thomas the next morning.

Loving this review so far! You are painting a picture for all of us, without posting pics! It's making me very excited for my October Liberty cruise!

Thanks Camorelli, and I promise I will add pics to this once I get everything uploaded and organized!

Archived