New cancellation policy?

I was just about to book my WOW sale rooms and when I got to the cancellation policy. It appears that the deposit is now nonrefundable, with additional penalties closer to the cruise. Does anyone know anything about this? It does not concur with what is listed at the RCCL website, but I would assume that whatever is stated during the booking process overrules the website.

I am not booking a year in advance if there are no price drops and a non refundable deposit. This just stinks!

Per the booking screen, the cancellation policy reads as follows:

If you cancel your reservation after a specific date, you may be subject to cancellation charges. Please take a moment to read the details of the cancellation schedule. s.gif

Cancellation and Penalty Timetable s.gif

Cancel Before * Penalty per person s.gif

09-Oct-2011 $250.00 USD

18-Nov-2011 50%

10-Dec-2011 100%

That is why I always reading everything from beginning to end. It is possible that the cancellation penatly applies to the WOW sales only.

I booked a cruise on early-saver (another cruiseline) and decided to cancel months before my cruise. I cancelled a September cruise after sailing on the same ship this past January. Of course I knew when I booked that if I had to cancel, for any reason, I would lose my deposit so it was no surprise to me. Of course it never crossed my mind that I would have to cancel because I did not like the ship itself. But that's between me and that brick wall so enough said.

I am that you read the "fine print" and found that you could lose your deposit if you cancel. Now you can make an educated decision on whether or not you want to book this way.

Azamara is charging a cancellation fee of $25 per person effective for cruises after Nov. 1/10.

It's not a far stretch to believe they will be charging a cancellation fee on their others lines.

This question comes up every so often. It should say cancel 'after'. You will lose the amount stated if you cancel after the date listed, not before.

Maybe it should say "after" but you would think that people running a multi million dollar company would better command of the english language. OR, maybe they mean EXACTLY what is written?:eek:

Maybe it should say "after" but you would think that people running a multi million dollar company would better command of the english language. OR, maybe they mean EXACTLY what is written?:eek:

yeah, you would think so. it's been worded that way for quite some time, but if you look at another area of the web site, it says it the right way.

You're right, they should be better able to express their policies in clearer and more accurate language, but the unfortunate reality is that they don't. This is only one more and the latest example of their failure to effectively communicate their intentions and their abject failure to proof read their material before posting it. :rolleyes:

Perhaps RCI in the US is coming around to what RCI UK have done to us for years.

Non-refundable deposit and cancellation charges depending on when you cancel.

57 days or more, loss of deposit (£150 per person)

29 - 56 days 50% of total cruise cost

15 - 28 days 75%

6 - 14 days 90%

5 days or less 100%

plus the amendment fees of £35 per person for any 'minor' changes like change of cabin (first change is free), or transfer fee of £75 per person if you want to change to another sailing/line (Celebrity). This must be done more than 56 days before sailing, otherwise the original booking is classed as cancelled.

Thank you all for your feedback. I knew I'd get a quicker answer here than waiting for RCCL to open.

I did speak with a RCCL customer rep this morning (I know, this does not guarantee accuracy) and according to her the policy remains the same - full refund until 60 days prior to the cruise and the deposit is forfeited AFTER the stated date.

It is sad that RCCL can't find a good proofreader for their web content since there is certainly a substantial difference between "before" and "after". I checked with my six year old and she agrees :p I wonder if they have lost other online sales due to this confusion.

So off to book my WOW sale cabins! Still frustrating about the price drop change, but happy with the price we're booking at, so not truly an issue.

But there's really no policy change. I never had a problem understanding it. It's on your booking. It's always been like that. You just lose more of your money the closer to cruise you cancel and can lose 100% of it after the deadline. Just don't cancel the cruise within 2 months of it and if you have to, understand that, like hotels and other reservation based businesses, you may lose part or possibly all of your money.

Sad thing is........we don't know what to think anymore:confused:

Azamara is charging a cancellation fee of $25 per person effective for cruises after Nov. 1/10.

It's not a far stretch to believe they will be charging a cancellation fee on their others lines.

They should waive the cancellation fee for their D+ members. Like the airlines, when you're a frequent customer they give you a reason to stay loyal.

They should waive the cancellation fee for their D+ members. Like the airlines, when you're a frequent customer they give you a reason to stay loyal.

Azamara does not give recipracal to RCI although it does to Celebrity at the moment. However they now have a loyalty program of their own. They haven't been around long enough to have high loyalty points.

But directly to your remark, the $25 cancellation fee is for everyone, no exceptions.

Azamara does not give recipracal to RCI although it does to Celebrity at the moment. However they now have a loyalty program of their own. They haven't been around long enough to have high loyalty points.

But directly to your remark, the $25 cancellation fee is for everyone, no exceptions.

Azamara does recepricate with RCL I speak from experience. We sailed Azamara to Asia and our Diamond Plus status was transferred to Azamara. I know the cancellation fee is for everyone right now but they should change it to exclude their most loyal customers who are D+. If enough D+ write to RCL and state that opinion maybe it will happen.

Azamara does recepricate with RCL I speak from experience. We sailed Azamara to Asia and our Diamond Plus status was transferred to Azamara. I know the cancellation fee is for everyone right now but they should change it to exclude their most loyal customers who are D+. If enough D+ write to RCL and state that opinion maybe it will happen.

If I were RCL taking phone calls like that, I'd raise the cancel fee - last damned thing I'd want is to encourage cancellations!!!

I was told no but it doesn't matter to me as I'm D+ which transfered to Celebrity which transfered to Azamara. hmmm guess you're right.

However they are still charging $25 per person cancellation fees for bookings to sail after Nov. 1/10. Actually, even though it would "save" me that money I don't see why D+ and Elite should be exempted.

Personally, I believe this whole situation with changes is because people are waiting to pounce on rate drops after final payment when there are a lot of rate changes. I'm not an RCL fan particularly anymore and I, like everyone else want everything I can get but there is also realism and in todays market they don't have to be the only one that gives breaks after the horse is out of the barn.

But again, it's just one of many things RCI has done to shoot themselves in the foot.

Now, if they would only get rid of the "everyone in the house" rule for D I would be really happy.

Perhaps RCI in the US is coming around to what RCI UK have done to us for years.

15 - 28 days 75%

6 - 14 days 90%

5 days or less 100%

plus the amendment fees of £35 per person for any 'minor' changes like change of cabin (first change is free), or transfer fee of £75 per person if you want to change to another sailing/line (Celebrity). This must be done more than 56 days before sailing, otherwise the original booking is classed as cancelled.

Nice thought, Pete, but somehow I don't think so :rolleyes:;)

I called RCI UK a couple of weeks ago to see if a specific cabin I wanted for a 2011 cruise was available (corner aft). He checked it out for me and groaned - it was on hold for someone in the US and he expected it would be booked and more than likely cancelled again before final payment. We got onto the subject of comparing booking conditions between the US and the UK and he told me that RCI was looking at bringing the US T&C's more in line with the UK. He said there are people in the US who book multiple cruises with no intention of taking them all and cancel just before final payment - they (RCI) loose sales as a result. Charging a cancellation fee may be just the beginning.

Princess charged me an additional deposit of $35. when I changed a booking which I had used an onboard future cruise deposit. It is not a penalty because it shall be deducted from final payment due but still, they are asking for more money up front if you change your reservation. I don't know if this applies to any other type of deposit or just this type of deposit since it is a deduced deposit ($100. vs $250.). I have no objection to this since it's only $35. and is not a penalty. I think this is another way to keep people from jockeying around their bookings.

• 3 weeks later...

You can confirm what the cancellation fee is by logging in to your reservation on RCCL's website and go to the OVERVIEW tab. On the top right, click on the gray button that says "Cancel this cruise" (don't worry it won't cancel unless you confirm you want to cancel on the next page).

On the next page, in red type it will say something like "If you cancel your reservation today, your penalty will be $0.00 USD". Then at the bottom of the page you can click the "Cancel Reservation" button or "Do Not Cancel Reservation".

Hope this helps,

Francie

15 - 28 days 75%

6 - 14 days 90%

5 days or less 100%

Might be a good tradeoff if we could get the 10% discount you Brit's get for booking online.

Patti (cruisinfever) posted this very handy reference about the cancellation policy:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1212007

What I didn't realize is if your price drops after final payment, and a category higher than you is the same price, you can ask for an upgrade to that higher category.

Also, if you book in advance but transfer rather than cancel and book another cruise, then it's not considered a cancellation. They still keep the sale and the deposit. That's what I always do.

Archived