Lost my wallet in Singapore... great ending!

Sandy R

We just returned from the Diamond Princess 32 day Asia cruise 4/14/10. Before we left, we booked a private guide for the day in Singapore (great guide, great tour, great lunch, great city!).

That night, I realized I didn't have my wallet containing my driver's license and 2 credit cards. I scoured the cabin with no success. When I logged onto the internet, to e-mail the guide, in the off-chance she found it... I discovered an e-mail from the guide. Her driver had found my wallet in the van and had given it to her. She told me the wallet and it's contents were already in her bank safe.

We corresponded for about a week... she couldn't find any transit company that would accept the credit cards for mailing. She suggested I have her destroy the credit cards and she would send me my driver's license. All this happened the beginning of our 32 day cruise, so I asked her to send my license to our friend's address. I insisted she let me know whatever costs she incurred, so I could reimburse.

I notified our friends a package would be coming and when it arrived, to e-mail me... which they did. In turn, I let the guide know and again asked how much I should send to reimburse her. She told me she was happy to help and absolutely refused to be reimbursed.

If I had to lose my driver's license and 2 credit cards, I'm grateful it was during a tour with a "one-in-a-million wonderful and extremely honest guide". If anyone would like her contact information, it would be my pleasure to post it!

Sandy.......Happy for you the misfortune of your loss had such a good ending and yes please post your guide's contact. We are heading there next April to board the Ocean Princess and I would like to make some private arrangements. Thanks

BTW always enjoy the descriptions of your travels. Lots of good info.

We just returned from the Diamond Princess 32 day Asia cruise 4/14/10. Before we left, we booked a private guide for the day in Singapore (great guide, great tour, great lunch, great city!).

Can you post the contact information for this great guide?

Her name is Anna-Maria Champalbert. Her e-mail is: camaria69@yahoo.com

She charges hourly per van... it was a 13 seat mini-van and there were 8 of us, which was extremely comfortable. BTW... she had been previously recommended on cruisecritic, which is why I contacted her. And, payment was in US$$, the day of the tour... no sending money, which I liked.

The choices of places to visit were: the colonial section of the city, old temples, Chinatown, Little India, the Botanical Gardens, a 1/2 hour river boat ride, an informal lunch along the river (great lunch, nice views), a short visit to Sentosa Island.

Her name is Anna-Maria Champalbert.

In contacting her, she said the group needed to meet her after taking a shuttle bus to Scotts Road.

Is this what you had to do?

How soon does the shuttle bus run after thge ship docks? Is there a charge for the bus?

Did you have to take the shuttle back to the ship?

Thanks

If you are on a large ship like the Diamond or Sapphire, you will dock at a container port. No one is allowed inside the port area. And, passengers are not allowed to walk inside the port area. Police are very visible and enforce the rules. The shuttle takes 20 to 30 minutes into the city center and begins running about 20 minutes after the ship is cleared.

If you are on a medium to small ship, you will dock at a passenger dock and in that case, a tour operator can meet you at the ship.

If you are on a large ship like the Diamond or Sapphire, you will dock at a container port. No one is allowed inside the port area. And, passengers are not allowed to walk inside the port area. Police are very visible and enforce the rules. The shuttle takes 20 to 30 minutes into the city center and begins running about 20 minutes after the ship is cleared.

If you are on a medium to small ship, you will dock at a passenger dock and in that case, a tour operator can meet you at the ship.

Thanks. Is there a charge for the shuttle? How big a line for it when it starts running?

That night, I realized I didn't have my wallet containing my driver's license and 2 credit cards. I scoured the cabin with no success. When I logged onto the internet, to e-mail the guide, in the off-chance she found it... I discovered an e-mail from the guide. Her driver had found my wallet in the van and had given it to her. She told me the wallet and it's contents were already in her bank safe.

We corresponded for about a week... she couldn't find any transit company that would accept the credit cards for mailing. She suggested I have her destroy the credit cards and she would send me my driver's license. All this happened the beginning of our 32 day cruise, so I asked her to send my license to our friend's address. I insisted she let me know whatever costs she incurred, so I could reimburse.

I notified our friends a package would be coming and when it arrived, to e-mail me... which they did. In turn, I let the guide know and again asked how much I should send to reimburse her. She told me she was happy to help and absolutely refused to be reimbursed.

If I had to lose my driver's license and 2 credit cards, I'm grateful it was during a tour with a "one-in-a-million wonderful and extremely honest guide". If anyone would like her contact information, it would be my pleasure to post it!

Very nice story, glad everything worked out for you. About a month ago, (yes, I don't even understand it myself), I realized that I left my Tag Heuer Watch on the Ruby in Oct 2009. I thought I had unpacked it. DW was to say the least a little upset with me as she had given it to me for a birthday 4 yrs ago..... Don't think I'll ever live this down.....

Bob

Oh, and I lost a cardigan while transporting from the Shangri-La hotel in Bangkok to the Diamond in Laem Chabang and never got it back. The Shangri-La emailed me that they didn't have it and so did the bus company. If any of you were on bus 2 (no air conditioning!) and found my black cardigan, please post here!!:(

There was no charge for the shuttle and the 8 of us taking Anna-Maria's tour, made sure we were ready and near the gang-way about 15 minutes before the ship was cleared by immigration. There wasn't much of a line... maybe enough to fill 2 buses. I think most passengers opted for a ship tour during the stops. I think Asia seems more exotic than Europe, with less people willing to go out on their own. We booked private tours throughout our 32 day cruise and were very pleased with our tour guides, their vans and the places we visited. I plan to write about our experiences... but right now, I'm sifting through the 1400 photos I took!

Archived