Can someone PLEASE very clear cut explain Early Saver...

Can someone clear this up for me? I have asked before on another post and read all the posts I can find on the topic, and asked my PVP but I am still confused.

This is for July 17 sailing, cruise is paid in full.

I booked for 5 people in one state room, Category 6D, at $839 for first 2 people and $649 per additional using the past guest rates. NOw when i go through like its a new booking, it tells me there are no cabins for 5 people. Yet when I go onto cruises.com, they have them available for $761 per person (they apparently do not give you a discount for 3rd, 4th and 5th passenger).

So, on Carnivals site, i put in just 2 passengers at the past guest rate, and get the following:

I can book a 6B at $799.00 per person (again only using 2 guests) and get a free upgrade to a cabin 6D. (cruises.com will give me this upgrade for a 5 passenger room)

or I can select 6D for $834 per person, (again based on only 2 people) and get a free upgrade to a cabin 6E.

I can see from cruises.com, that they still have several rooms left that can accomodate 5 people.

So my question is, am I entitled to anything like an upgrade or an OBC????

Thank you in advance for any help.

Danielle

From what you are saying you should be able to get the ES drop to the $799 pp

I didnt book at an ES rate, though. We booked at the past guest rate. Does that matter???

Yes, only ES rate gets rates drops after final payment. I skimmed what you wrote twice and don't see the ship. If you were ES AND there was a similar quad left, get the quad price on Carnival and add one more person, they can put in a rollaway on older ships ...at least Im assuming that is what you are asking about?

You are saying there is no discount for the other 3 people on the site you are looking for. The ENTIRE rate, for all 5 would have to exactly match or be lower before you could price match to it.

Im guessing the site you are looking at is giving you a AVERAGE price for all 5, that isnt the price...no one else here can check without the name of the ship..sorry, maybe Im still asleep ..coffee coffee.

I didnt book at an ES rate, though. We booked at the past guest rate. Does that matter??? YES

For Past guest booking, you can only get price drop (OBC) up to the final Payment Deadline. Once you are past that, you can only get an Upgrade if the Carnival-advertised fare for your Category drops.

ken

OK...I am chiming in verify things cause I am confused now.

I have a cruise booked June 10. The price has gone down. I called previously even though I am on the past guest rate and they were able to give me the whopping $10 difference in shipboard credit. Now I check today and price has gone down about $50pp so I call and was told that since I was not under ES fare that I couldn't get an addl shipboard credit? Can someone just clarify? ALSO I was told they don't honor other websites-I am having trouble connecting to Carnival's website today and saw this on Travelocity...

The ship is the Fantasy.

So right now I can get nothing. But if next week I see category 6E ( I am booked in 6D at $839 per person) advertised for like $700, then I should be able to upgrade to a 6E?

So if I summarize correctly, only ES are eligible for OBC for price drops up unitl 2 days prior to sailing. And the ES rate can be match to the past guest rate if that rate at any point becomes lower than ES.

I have a cruise booked June 10. The price has gone down. I called previously even though I am on the past guest rate.

Maybe it was before final payment that you got the $10 pp?? You can always get the price drop on ALL rates up until final payment date.

The ship is the Fantasy.

So right now I can get nothing. But if next week I see category 6E ( I am booked in 6D at $839 per person) advertised for like $700, then I should be able to upgrade to a 6E?

So if I summarize correctly, only ES are eligible for OBC for price drops up unitl 2 days prior to sailing. And the ES rate can be match to the past guest rate if that rate at any point becomes lower than ES.

If you are past guest and your rate matches a higher category, call for the upgrade.

Its only after final payment that ES is different. Until final payment all rates get price drops.

OK yes, Fantasy does allow a rollaway to be added to the quads so 5 can fit in. Check for 4 people on Carnival if you cant for 5, and just add in the 3rd/4th rate again to get the 5th person rate.

Maybe it was before final payment that you got the $10 pp?? You can always get the price drop on ALL rates up until final payment date.

If you are past guest and your rate matches a higher category, call for the upgrade.

Its only after final payment that ES is different. Until final payment all rates get price drops.

OK yes, Fantasy does allow a rollaway to be added to the quads so 5 can fit in. Check for 4 people on Carnival if you cant for 5, and just add in the 3rd/4th rate again to get the 5th person rate.

But you do not mean a past guest rate that is lower can be used for someone who has never sailed Carnival correct?

But you do not mean a past guest rate that is lower can be used for someone who has never sailed Carnival correct?

No, only rates you qualify for ...BUT

... but my first Carnival cruise since the 1980s, I called a TA and she said have you sailed Carnival before, I said sure ...remember this was my first cruise, in 25 or more years. I didnt have a past guest number and she never checked further. Carnival has no record of my cruises back in the 1980s.

I cruised my first cruise when I started again to cruise as a past guest. Its not like senior where they will check your driver's license for your age etc..no one checked, so I could have said sure.. and not been a past guest probably?

I have claimed senior rates, and state rates from other states and have been approved. Past guest might be tough, as they would want to past guest#.

I have claimed senior rates, and state rates from other states and have been approved. Past guest might be tough, as they would want to past guest#.

I saw some posts where the drivers license on the state rate did not match and the pax had to pay the going rate to board the ship. I wouldnt try that one. age and state can more easily be proved than past guest status.

I saw some posts where the drivers license on the state rate did not match and the pax had to pay the going rate to board the ship. I wouldnt try that one. age and state can more easily be proved than past guest status.

I don't want to start a whole big discussion about this again, but I have made these claims every time I have had ES, and been approved for them. When we checked in thru kiosks no one asked for a state DL or ask our age or anything. Once on board I went to Guest Services to confirm all the OBC from these claims and also asked to girl, who used to work in miami processing ES claims, about the senior/state claims. She said that they were fair game since they were an advertised rate, but it might depend somewhat who reviews your claim form.

Again, you can't BOOK at a senior rate, but you can make claims on ES using those rates. I have done this on the past 3 cruises with CCL, worth a shot, I ended up with $450 OBC.

I am also a newbie to this. I cruised one time before on RC ten years ago. I just booked our family cruise on Carnival Splendor for June 2011. How do I know what catagory my room is in? All I know it is an Ocean View, 2 connecting rooms (5 of us). How do I search for price reductions? I booked directly with Carnival and paid our deposit yesterday. I was going with a TA, but she was booking us into a double and quad room. I did not have six, just five!:eek: Thank goodness for these boards!

I don't want to start a whole big discussion about this again, but I have made these claims every time I have had ES, and been approved for them. When we checked in thru kiosks no one asked for a state DL or ask our age or anything. Once on board I went to Guest Services to confirm all the OBC from these claims and also asked to girl, who used to work in miami processing ES claims, about the senior/state claims. She said that they were fair game since they were an advertised rate, but it might depend somewhat who reviews your claim form.

Again, you can't BOOK at a senior rate, but you can make claims on ES using those rates. I have done this on the past 3 cruises with CCL, worth a shot, I ended up with $450 OBC.

so you are saying if you booked ES....and there are NO Seniors in the cabin....you can do the ES price drop on a senior rate....Holy smoly:cool:

I have 420 in OBC for my cruise with the senior rate....but my mom is in the stateroom....thought that is why the did it.

So, I could make a claim on the military rate, since you dont need to qualify for the rate?

I think you got lucky that Carnival is very lax about checking if you qualify for the rate drops too...but heck, doesnt hurt to put in for rates you see. I did say they are lax too, since I got a past guest, and no one checked, and I didnt have a past guest #.

put in for anything ... whats the worst they can say but no.

So, I could make a claim on the military rate, since you dont need to qualify for the rate?

I think you got lucky that Carnival is very lax about checking if you qualify for the rate drops too...but heck, doesnt hurt to put in for rates you see. I did say they are lax too, since I got a past guest, and no one checked, and I didnt have a past guest #.

put in for anything ... whats the worst they can say but no.

Never tried a military rate. I have done maybe 6 or 7 claim forms between the last 3 cruises I booked thru ES and haven't been denied even once, so I find it hard to believe I'm just falling thru the cracks. But like you said, give it a shot, worst they can do is say no.

I am new to the ES rate. I did see my cat. 8M go down 20.00pp on Thursday and filled out the online form (only took a minute) I received an email 30 min laters saying they recd my request form and they would look into it and get back to me within 3 days. After 48 hours I got a second email and it was approved. So 40.00 (2 of us sailing) was credited from my balance. Final pmt is not due til 8-3-10

BTW the day I saw my category go down was the last day the ES was available to book. Soon after I caught the drop it went back up to my original price plus 20.00, so I am glad I checked when I did,

I now check 4 times a day and it really only takes 30 sec to check. I have read on cc that carnival has changed their prices up to 4 times a day. Worth it to me to check 4 times thru out the day, you never know what may happen!

Im asking my PVP for a copy of the rules. ..she says she is looking for what they say.

I think, if Carnival wants the pax to know the darn rules, on ES, they should put them where someone can easily find them!!! I looked for the small print myself, and couldnt find it and asked my PVP for a link.

I seem to remember it saying "a qualifying rate" ... and open to interpretaion what a qualfying rate means.

You might have found a hole.

Is it typical for prices to go down for passengers 1 & 2, but increase for passengers 3 & 4?

This is what I'm seeing for our cruise next month. The rates have gone down $20 pp, but the additional passenger rates have gone up almost $100 pp.

I know this is a really dumb question, but are the port charges & gov't. fees included in the rate? And what if your category is no longer available, do you compare to higher categories if they're lower than your rate?:confused:

I know this is a really dumb question, but are the port charges & gov't. fees included in the rate? And what if your category is no longer available, do you compare to higher categories if they're lower than your rate?:confused:

Port charges ARE included in the cruise fare. Taxes and fees are not and are added onto the cruise fare you see.

btw its not a dumb question at all. you would be surprised how many people think port charges are part of the small amount added on as fees and taxes.

If your category is sold out, you would have to upgrade to be in a category to price compare. You cant get a price drop if your category is sold out. If a higher category is less than you paid, check the box to be upgraded on the ES price drop form and ask for the OBC.

Hooray!!! Thanks you all of you for your posts -- especially someone who recommended logging out of Carnival.com and then re-enter as 'guest'. I think I finally figured out the price drops and am "hopefully" submitting a claim for $240. How does it work for the 3rd person? Originally I paid $929 for 1st & 2nd and the 3rd was $519. Now the picing shows $819 for #1 & 2 and $679 for #3. Do I get a credit for the cabin rate -- which is $240 less?

You all are so great and I have really learned so much from these postings!

Hooray!!! Thanks you all of you for your posts -- especially someone who recommended logging out of Carnival.com and then re-enter as 'guest'. I think I finally figured out the price drops and am "hopefully" submitting a claim for $240. How does it work for the 3rd person? Originally I paid $929 for 1st & 2nd and the 3rd was $519. Now the picing shows $819 for #1 & 2 and $679 for #3. Do I get a credit for the cabin rate -- which is $240 less?

You all are so great and I have really learned so much from these postings!

I only get $60 less??? Your math seems wrong?

929 + 929 + 519 = 2377

819 + 819 + 679 = 2317

How do you get $240 lower for the cabin?? I think you get $60 unless you gave the wrong figures.

I was doing the total room charge. Looks like the "fees & taxes" went down as well???

Originally I paid $125.98/pp and now they are $65.98. Guess there's nothing I can do about that? Can anyone explain the diff?

Archived