July 4 & Silversea??? What Do to Celebrate?

TLCOhio

Last night at dinner with the other couple going with us on our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/North Cape cruise on the Silver Cloud, an interesting question came up. We're new to Silversea and our interest is . . . what, if anything, do they do on the ship for July 4, America's Independence Day? Not a big deal, just curious! My assumption is that on a Northern Europe cruise like this one, about half of the passengers will be from the USA. Any past experiences on how or what Silversea does on an American holiday like this one?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

We're also on board for Bastille Day (July 14th) and for celebrating the Battle of the Boyne, traditionally celebrated by the Orange Order on July 12th (battle was really on the 1st but we're on board then too:rolleyes:) for those so inclined. I mean I've heard of not getting along with your in-laws but this really takes it to the extreme.:D

You can always make your own celebration by asking the chef to prepare a special American meal. Bring along red, white and blue clothes and wear them that day.

Excellent suggestion in setting up and doing our "own thing" for July 4 on the Silver Cloud. It's going to be hard, however, to bring along fireworks in our luggage. That won't work. Great added ideas for Bastille Day (July 14th) and for celebrating the Battle of the Boyne (July 12th). July 1 is Canada Day to celebrate the anniversary of their official confederation. The food angle for the French holiday will be easy, but I'm not as sure for the other two on how to make those work as well.

Be very careful about the Battle of the Boyne celebration. It has very strong religious connotations in some parts of Britain and Ireland. Some may enjoy it, but others may find it objectionable.

I am not trying to spoil any party, it’s just a wee heads up. Enjoy your cruise no matter what.

Rocchi

Be very careful about the Battle of the Boyne celebration. It has very strong religious connotations in some parts of Britain and Ireland. Some may enjoy it, but others may find it objectionable. I am not trying to spoil any party, it’s just a wee heads up. Enjoy your cruise no matter what. Rocchi

THANKS for the heads-up! We've traveled in BOTH Ireland and the UK. Love both areas and the people there. For hundreds of years, there have been sharp religious and historic difference between the two sides. Fortunately, things are calmer in Northern Ireland for now, but the strong opinions on both sides are there, deep!!! It's kind of like Turkey versus Greece. Lots of interesting history there. Each side has strong opinion and can tell you why, over and over, the other folks have been terrible and so wrong. Terry in Ohio

Terry, IMHO I would pass on the July 4th celebration on the cruise ship. If you enjoy celebrating it wait till your home because if it was me I would rather have other foods in the dining room than the foods that come to mind for this holiday. With that said at lunch you could go out to the pool and probably find some of the foods that would come to mind.

Keith

I will be on the cruise and will be celebrating the fact that I made it to one of the most facinating and scenic areas of the world that relatively few people get to see and enjoy.

I will be on the cruise and will be celebrating the fact that I made it to one of the most facinating and scenic areas of the world that relatively few people get to see and enjoy.

Hi, Daddyo! Glad you're on this July 1-16 sailing. You might scroll about half down this page to the roll call started by Greg from Arizona for this sailing. Post how many are in your party for this cruise, etc. This should bring us up to around 25 or so from these CC boards that we know of, so far. Sailing time is getting closer!

Terry, IMHO I would pass on the July 4th celebration on the cruise ship. If you enjoy celebrating it wait till your home because if it was me I would rather have other foods in the dining room than the foods that come to mind for this holiday. With that said at lunch you could go out to the pool and probably find some of the foods that would come to mind. Keith

What, Keith, you don't get too excited about "hot dogs" on a Silversea cruise? The irony of the 4th of July meal, as my friend Dennis noted, is that this holiday is traditionally celebrated by grilling frankfurters and hamburgers, both named after German cities. That's why I liked the French dining options for Bastille Day (July 14th). We'll have to be creative in thinking up something interesting that is the best for both Silversea dining skills and this July 4th holiday.

Grilled Ribeyes poolside as we sail out of Alesund:D. Since the 4th is a Sunday this year, don't know what'll be open in Alesund. I remember when we were in Antigua on RSSC Mariner on Palm sunday a few year ago and pretty much everything was closed. Regent (Radisson then) put on a pool deck BBQ LUNCH of grilled Brats, Steak, Lobster and Fish (paella, too!) that was fantastic. Terry and some others are taking a Runde Island tour for birding, so I know not everyone would be around; but, I think high end pool deck BBQ (with no label as to why, other than Sunday in Alesund) might get it done and still not offend anyone.

Greg

PS. 14th is a bit more problematic since we're in Bergen until 2300; but, I'd be in favor of a French focused dinner in The Restaurant.

Archived